[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:30:34 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: JUST BACK FROM THE GAME....  (Read 16044 times)

Harrison

• Team Captain
JUST BACK FROM THE GAME....
« on: November 27, 2006, 11:07:51 PM »
MU did not play that badly.  Jerel had a very bad game out of control many times..late in the game spin move in the lane against 4 defenders looses the ball falls down and fouls the Valpo guy...Thank God he missed the front end or it may not have been as fun.  Valpo shot the ball very well... hit a three at the shot clock buzzer late.  Worked the ball very well for their shots.  Mu got excellent dribble penetration but a big part of our problem is when we kick it out our shooters(Wesley and Fitz) pass up the shot or Jerel shoots it (bad from 3).   Valpo did an excellent job taking away the transition game in the second half much of it due to some sick shooting and better transition defense.  Actually made us pay  afew times in transition.  Bottom line a solid team that is extremely well coached gave us a heck of a game.  MU is very young much of the second half had 3 sophs and 2 Freshmen in the game, this game and games like it and the Idaho State game will be a recurring theme this year we are primarily a perimeter team that does not shoot very well.  We obviously have some real strenths but some nights if we do not get easy baskets and dont shoot well from the perimeter we will have our work cut out, hard to beat anyone going away with 65 points.  Kudos to the team for their toughness winning 2 games that looked like losses with 2 minutes left.   Oh by the way I briefly checked the Scout board becuase they often have the coaches comments.  Dodds has a big string ripping Tim Higgins and his officiating.  The officiating was questionable at times but even, but Tim Higgins was not in the building.  My guess is he is referring to Jim Burr.  Nice.  ::)

TJ

• All American
Re: JUST BACK FROM THE GAME....
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 11:19:10 PM »
I just got back from Valpo as well.  Just wanted to add that it was the most poorly officiated game I have ever seen.  Against both teams, on both sides of the ball (not uneven, just bad calls).  Phantom fouls, unnecessary touch fouls, defense moving and a charge called (without push-off) constantly.  In fact, between the two teams, I would bet there were double digit charges called in the first half alone.  I called it "over-officiating" to my friends on the phone after the game.  The refs interjected themselves too much into the game.

Like I said though, it wasn't seriously biased against Marquette, so I guess it's not a huge problem, but I think it did have serious effects on both teams.  Valpo lost a key big player to foul trouble early and he eventually fouled out.  Marquette just didn't seem to be able to get into a good game rythm because of all the fouls.  They also didn't really know how to read the refs and adjust their game to the calls.  Foul trouble also caused a lot of substitutions, further making it difficult to get into a rhythm.

Just my opinion, hope it helps some who weren't there understand why it was so close.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 11:21:55 PM »
I think you're right about being a perimeter team that doesn't shoot very well.  Fitz and Matthews have to step up and shoot.  Valpo shot lights out, but judging the stats they must have done a great job protecting the ball.  McNeal had one steal.  Five for the rest of the team.  That's where we got most of our big points in the Duke game.  It was clutch that the boys were able to pull this one out when the numbers say they shouldn't have.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 11:24:39 PM »
I think you're right about being a perimeter team that doesn't shoot very well.  Fitz and Matthews have to step up and shoot.  Valpo shot lights out, but judging the stats they must have done a great job protecting the ball.  McNeal had one steal.  Five for the rest of the team.  That's where we got most of our big points in the Duke game.  It was clutch that the boys were able to pull this one out when the numbers say they shouldn't have.
I think Valpo must have seen our games last week and really stressed controlling the turnovers.  They did a very good job of making sure our guards couldn't get easy turnovers.  There were only 2-3 bad passes all game by Valpo, and they protected the ball in their dribble very well.

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 11:27:46 PM »
Valpo had 2 very good ball handling guards in mcpherson and Looyd, they had three guard lineup with Diebler.  They handled our defense relatively well.  We did not extend our defense much if at all.  it had to be our of respect to their ball handlers.  We applied significantly more pressure to Duke than we did Valpo.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 11:31:35 PM »
Homer said that DJs fourth quarter performance would be talked about for years to come.  He was obviously clutch, but how would you describe it having been there?

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 11:31:40 PM »
Also their 4 Huff could really handle the ball, could bang the three or dribble drive.  We struggled to guard him with anyone but Fitz..too big or too quick for our guards or our bigs.  Fitz played very well on the boards and defensively but he has to shoot the freaking ball.  Once he got a kick out for a wide open thre but instead shot faked and penetrated for an akward handoff to Burke or Barro for a turnover.  Shoot!!

TJ

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 11:35:31 PM »
Homer said that DJs fourth quarter performance would be talked about for years to come.  He was obviously clutch, but how would you describe it having been there?
It was impressive.  It was like he just decided at one point that he didn't want to lose tonight.  He made his free throws down the stretch with no problems, and he hit two of the biggest threes I've ever seen (although I am a little miffed that he took that shot with so much time left on the clock - I wanted it to be either that or OT, not let them have 3 more seconds to try with).  It really didn't seem at the time like he was hogging it either, it seemed like he was trying to spread the ball, but he was the only one able to get open enough to take a shot.

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 11:39:04 PM »
Well it was obviously a great performance But it was different than the Duke game in the sense that he scored those points so quickly.  yes, he scored 18 in a row but we only scored 24? in the second half so unfortunately there were stretches wehre we simply shot poorly and turned the ball over.  Most of the points were on drives and then from the line.  Now his last 2 threes were absolutely huge as were his 2 free throws late.  WE had a three point lead and played 35 seconds of great defense but Valpo put up acontested three as the horn sounded and it went in to tie.  Next posession they hit another three to set up DJ's last three.  That kid is awesome it appers he cant hit the water if he fell out of a boat but in the clutch he is money from the field and the line.  Special type of player, I will miss watching him play with a MU uniform.  

TJ

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 11:44:15 PM »
Special type of player, I will miss watching him play with a MU uniform. 
Where's he going so soon?  Enjoy the next year and a half before mourning DJ's passing.  Even if he does go pro this year (which I really think won't happen unless we go DEEP into the tournament), we still have a whole Big East season to play.

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 11:52:21 PM »
Oh I will cherish his next 25 games or so but he is gone.  $10 million guaranteed for a young man from a poor single parent home.  Tom Crean and everyother person looking out for his best interest will say we love and thank you for the two years.  You only live once and even a slight risk of being hurt of getting sick or whatever is too great when he can sign a 8 figure contract in 8 months and have more money than he or his family has ever imagined.  Even if he never gets that second contract he can still get his degree later and even investing in CD's would provide him a nice 6 figure annual return.  As much as I love that kid and what he could do for MU next year I would be disappointed if he risked coming back.

Desert_Eagle

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 11:52:51 PM »
Fitz played very well on the boards and defensively but he has to shoot the freaking ball.  Once he got a kick out for a wide open three but instead shot faked and penetrated for an akward handoff to Burke or Barro for a turnover. Shoot!!

Amen!! He really has to learn to pull the trigger.
"Marquette is bigger than any one person. Marquette is Marquette."

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 11:55:23 PM »
Oh and by the way he ripped off 10 points in the blink of an eye on national TV in front of hype master dickie V to beat Duke and then has just scored 18 in a row to beat Valpo.  He was already projected as a Top 15 pick do you think his stock is dropping or SOARING?

TJ

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 12:00:59 AM »
Oh and by the way he ripped off 10 points in the blink of an eye on national TV in front of hype master dickie V to beat Duke and then has just scored 18 in a row to beat Valpo.  He was already projected as a Top 15 pick do you think his stock is dropping or SOARING?
I guess you have a pretty good point there, and we'll see where it ends up at the end of the season, but I really think that right now he could use the extra year of development.

Then again, I thought that Wade was undersized and that he played too out of control the majority of the time to be successful in the NBA right away, and that he would greatly benefit from another year in college, so what do I know?

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 08:04:17 AM »
Great reporting from the game - thank you!  Did anyone happen to get any pictures?
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 08:13:56 AM »
Oh and by the way he ripped off 10 points in the blink of an eye on national TV in front of hype master dickie V to beat Duke and then has just scored 18 in a row to beat Valpo.  He was already projected as a Top 15 pick do you think his stock is dropping or SOARING?

True scouts might be very impressed by the fact that he put up 18 in a row against a team without a single person who could guard any nba point guard or they might look at his shooting percentage and be a little leery.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 08:24:18 AM »
I wouldn't be so quick to assume that DJ is definitely gone after this season. His lack of size and his erratic outside shot will be drawbacks to any NBA team. As great as he was in the final six minutes last night, remember he was 1-for-10 before that. You have to love that he took over the game down the stretch, but NBA scouts may still have some doubts. We'll see. He may very well go and if does God bless him. I'm just not convinced it's a sure thing.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 08:47:50 AM »
I agree .. but I don't think there's any question he would be drafted, despite those concerns .. he'd clearly be picked in one of the 60 slots.

So at this point, the only thing we have working for us, is he could stay another year (or two) and improve his draft position if he can be more consistent with his shot .. and grow a 5-6 more inches.  Then he'd be a shoo-in!   ;)

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 10:15:02 AM »
the best things working in favor of DJ staying (and i still dont think he will)

Durant, Oden, Young, Hawes, McRoberts, Hansbrough, etal etal etal.......2007 is a potentially great draft, particularly with bigs.  guards could get squeezed as they nearly did last year (lowry and farmar going late first round).

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2006, 10:30:09 AM »
I just got back from Valpo as well.  Just wanted to add that it was the most poorly officiated game I have ever seen.  Against both teams, on both sides of the ball (not uneven, just bad calls).  Phantom fouls, unnecessary touch fouls, defense moving and a charge called (without push-off) constantly.  In fact, between the two teams, I would bet there were double digit charges called in the first half alone.  I called it "over-officiating" to my friends on the phone after the game.  The refs interjected themselves too much into the game.

As the season plays out, I bet that we will struggle in games were officials call a tight game thus eliminating the flow of the game.  MU thrives on pressure defense, turnovers and easy buckets that occur when there is more flow and less stopages.  A game with less foul calls will allow us to rattle off a bunch of points in a blink of an eye and keep our big 3 on the floor. 

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2006, 10:46:51 AM »
Does DJ have some flaws? sure he does, but I think that toatlly changes the focus and to some degree is completely immaterial.  There are 30 first round picks.  All those guys get guarnteed 3 year contracts ranging from 5-6 million and up.  The question is not at all whether he could improve his jump shooting, free throw shooting or whatever you want to focus on.  The question is how many people would be drafted ahead of him?  Going into the season the projections say 10-15 people.  Since then he has been named to the Big East preseason first team.  Columnist have written after the Duke game that he is best PG in the land.  He goes off to beat Duke on National Televison.  he goes off against Valpo, 18 staright.  The point is has he dropped in those projection based on all his inabilities?  Because unless those types of performances cause a dozen or so players to vault over him he will be telling himself and his family that he wants to risk approxiametel $10 million dollars guaranteed to go back for one more year of school.  No way anyone could possiblet encourage him to do that.  Coach Crean if he is half the man I think we know he is tells him he is not welcome  back.  We signed 4 guys with 3 scholarships.  Crean does with DJ as Al did with Chones he sacrifices a chance to win a national title becuase it's in the kid's best interest.  Oh also, one other point for thos ethat want to focus on all of DJ's flaws and that think that despite him being projected in the middle of the first round that there are really 15-20 other guys out there that GMs would want...let's start picking apart the games of the guys potentially drafted ahead of DJ. Let's start with Josh Mcroberts, who went 4-16 and looked very bad against MU.  Maybe he should forget the lottery and go back to school based on his inabilities.  Please.  yes he showed some flaws but he si still one of the top 10 players and therefore will be drafted accordingly.  

Tampa Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2006, 06:08:08 PM »
Then again, I thought that Wade was undersized and that he played too out of control the majority of the time to be successful in the NBA right away, and that he would greatly benefit from another year in college, so what do I know?

I'm with ya, TJ...those were my thoughts as well. Quite silly in retrospect, and I'm sure there was some wishful thinking on my part involved.

The NBA has so many players who are learning on the job these days...though it varies by position somewhat.

mufan924

• Starter
  • we are marquette
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2006, 06:32:12 PM »

"it's over...it's been over" -George Carlin

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2006, 06:49:27 PM »
924...welcome...and thanks for posting those! 

Harrison

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2006, 07:27:47 PM »
hey that looks like the same position as the guy from the myspace video was in.  ::)

feedback