[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Grambling thoughts  (Read 23046 times)

BM1090

• All American
Re: Grambling thoughts
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2015, 01:20:13 PM »
Agree will Bilsu, it's the sheer number of sub 250 games.

If anyone wants my Maine tix, just PM me.  I would love to get them to a good home.

PM Sent if still available

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2015, 01:25:47 PM »
When it was (I think) 26-2, my wife turned to me and said "I can't believe you actually wanted to come to this." At that point, all I could think was "I have five more games of this nature, how on earth will I get anyone to come to those?"

Offer them to friends with grade schoolers. I typically take my twin first graders to these no-name games and they LOVE them. We have a blast and they think it's great that MU always wins.

They plan to play at MU together "like the Ellenson brothers" (not holding my breath on that one), they tell their Aunt Tracey all about her name-sake  ;), and think it's SO cool that Duane Wilson went to HS a few blocks from our house. It also helps that parking is easy and I'm not overly focused on the blowout taking place on the floor...oh, and we typically leave night games early.

It also helps that we can go from our seats at the BC to our couch in under 20 minutes. If I was driving in from Waukesha or Racine or the glow/chick burbs, I'd probably be less excited about watching two-thirds of a blowout.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2015, 01:35:42 PM »
It also helps that we can go from our seats at the BC to our couch in under 20 minutes. If I was driving in from Waukesha or Racine or the glow/chick burbs, I'd probably be less excited about watching two-thirds of a blowout.

Ha! MU basketball is about the only way I keep chick in the frozen north!  Plus on most nights we get to see one or both of the kids, always a bonus once they moved away.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2015, 01:54:58 PM »
Ha! MU basketball is about the only way I keep chick in the frozen north!  Plus on most nights we get to see one or both of the kids, always a bonus once they moved away.

The empty nester problem is real. Sister is going to be a freshman next year and I don't think mom and dad Chitown are looking forward to it.

djorling

• Walk-On
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2015, 02:08:47 PM »
I wouldn't be so sure.  One big benefit for empty nesters: no more silent sex.   

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2015, 02:29:46 PM »
Don't by the tickets... Your r an idiot!

I love the internet.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2015, 02:31:02 PM »
I wouldn't be so sure.  One big benefit for empty nesters: no more silent sex.

Which really only becomes a problem when said empty nesters feel the need to express that to their children. You kept it quiet for years, no need to tell us how things have changed since we left!  >:(
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2015, 11:15:39 PM »
Chick and I went to the game not to worry about the opponent but to see the continuing development of our young team.  The ball moved crisply on offense and the shots fell.  We were entertained and made it back to suburban Chicago before 11.

On Saturday against Maine, my guess is there will be lots of young kids in attendance.  Well you know what?  When I was 7-8 years old I wasn't particularly interested in the opponent.  I just wanted a chance to see Thompson and Meminger play.  So my dad would get Irv Stauber's tickets and we'd go.  Brew, I hope that you can find a situation like that and support a young Warrior if you choose to skip a few.

I am of the belief that a sugar fix in the form of a cupcake is a good idea for any team, to get its bearings straight and to see what it has. I never have seen a year without a couple on the schedule.

Look, I'm on record in here as saying big teams play big teams and cupcakes play cupcakes for most of their schedule. Yes, I'd like to see home and home with North Carolina, Kentucky, Duke, Kansas etc. But this year, we would get our clocks cleaned and we'd be longing for a couple of Iowa games. We need most of these cupcakes to prepare for the Big East season, which is what we're really about.

In the end, JS Glow and Chick are right -- go or don't go, but don't let the tickets go to waste. Give them to a young person or young family. Or a co-worker who likes basketball and has worked hard for you. Acknowledge that this year we need cupcakes and hope next year we waste some really big, really good schools in the pre-conference schedule.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2015, 12:50:32 AM »
I don't believe we should force playing Matt or Sacar, but to say "they are free to leave" as though we shouldn't care is something I disagree with.  Certainly they are free to do as they please, but the constant transfers are part of the reason we are young (this year) or thin (last year) - and those are not isolated instances.  Some transfers are going to happen, but I'd much prefer the stability that comes with players growing in the system.

A lot of that transfer stink is on Bert

Death on call

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2015, 01:37:32 AM »

Ners begs to differ

tower912

• All American
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2015, 07:36:25 AM »

There was a lot of transfer stink under Crean, too.    Wojo in his first year also had 2 of Buzz's recruits leave, as well as one of his own.    I can't find the it right now, but I seem to recall that around 40% of D-1 basketball players transfer.    Just the way of it today.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2015, 08:41:29 AM »
Another thing to remember when it comes to scheduling is that, in the mind of the average MU fan, Grambling, Maine, Belmont, IUPUI, Jackson St, etc are all small, no-name programs that MU should roll. Presbyterian could be bringing everyone back from a top-20 RPI team and they'd still be viewed as a cupcake by most.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2015, 09:56:49 AM »
Brew, I hate to tell you, but I've worked with college athletics at four different universities, and I don't think a single one of them would return your call....and one of them competes at the D2 level. They might return it, but it wouldn't be a call from someone who actually has control or input to the scheduling. You have to be donating pretty big sums of money or be from the media to get that kind of access. And even then, you aren't going to get any more than what Broeker said in the PT article.

Well, they certainly know how to pick up the phone when they want donations?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2015, 10:00:26 AM »
nm

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2015, 10:15:56 AM »
There was a lot of transfer stink under Crean, too.    Wojo in his first year also had 2 of Buzz's recruits leave, as well as one of his own.    I can't find the it right now, but I seem to recall that around 40% of D-1 basketball players transfer.    Just the way of it today.
The 3 transfers ( Burton, Dawson and Taylor ) were all Buzz's guys.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2015, 10:38:05 AM »

He may have been referring to Gabe Levin.

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2015, 11:14:21 AM »
He may have been referring to Gabe Levin.
Ah yes.  The transfer guy who got wind of Henry Ellenson and took the first stagecoach back to CA.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2015, 12:00:08 PM »
Well, they certainly know how to pick up the phone when they want donations?

Scholl, Broeker, and Wojo call you for donations? I just get phonathan students.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2015, 01:52:07 PM »
Scholl, Broeker, and Wojo call you for donations? I just get phonathan students.

I actually got a call from Tom Crean. He said he was calling to raise money for the Marquette Soccer Stadium. He would throw in a pair of IU shorts if I gave at least $100

Death on call

tower912

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2015, 01:55:07 PM »

Shoot.   I forgot Taylor.    Burton, Dawson, Levin, Taylor.    The larger point is that transfers are becoming the norm and not the exception. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2015, 04:40:18 PM »
I actually got a call from Tom Crean. He said he was calling to raise money for the Marquette Soccer Stadium. He would throw in a pair of IU shorts if I gave at least $100

I usually roll my eyes at TC jokes but this one made me chuckle
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2015, 09:53:21 PM »

If I were a basketball investor, I would short IU!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2015, 12:57:48 AM »
Deonte's transfer hurt and hurts my soul.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.