[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Fire Wojo !  (Read 135974 times)

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
Re: Fire Wojo !
« Reply #425 on: March 13, 2018, 10:27:22 AM »
Start it now, why not ?  Poor discipline. Poor coaching. Jacking up 3 pointers. Poor defense. No accountability. Another year of disappointment. Another year of poor defense against 3, poor interior defense and poor shooting. That's it ! How many millions does MU spend on BBall ?

The insanity of this post is most evident by the fact that we had the third highest three-point percentage in the country.

Clearly your 2nd grade math education makes you unable to realize that 3-point shots count more than 2-point shots. If you'd made it to 3rd grade math you could calculate that the rare team that makes over 40 percent of their shots from behind the arc is as effective as a team that makes over 60 percent of their two point shots.

Any understanding of basketball would further lead you to understand that a team with our height is not going to make anywhere remotely close to 60% of their 2-pointers, or the fact that "jacking up 3s" - over 40% of which go in - is the only thing that then allows Rowsey and Howard to spread the defense enough that they can drive or pass against a spread out defense to get the 2-point shots you so wish to watch - many more of which would be blocked.

Because I am so blinded by the utter stupidity of this argument I cannot even start to look at your other arguments.

While it appears to me you have made the most inane argument in all my years of reading the scoop, the only charitable explanation I can hope for is that you had never watched a basketball game since the three-point line was added and did not understand that the longer shots are called 3-pointers because they are, in fact, worth one more point than the other shots.

Please never coach a basketball team at any youth level - you would be a discredit to any youth league no matter how young, and force your players to relearn the game when they got a new coach the next year.

Sorry the year proved you so wrong.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #426 on: March 13, 2018, 10:39:00 AM »
I felt last year we were moving along fairly linearly. My biggest worry this year was the defense. I didn't expect mountains to move, but some measure of improvement due to added length and more experience in the system for our starting five, all of whom were returning players.

Looking at next year, the reason for hope on defense is more length (Joey, Morrow, someone who's not Rowsey) and experience for the current freshmen. Sounds awfully familiar. I'm hoping it yields results, but if Wojo has an Achilles Heel, that defense sure looks like the likely culprit.

We've been talking about getting more experienced for 4 years now. I know the landscape of college basketball is changing with transfers and what not, but we have not shown much movement in the experience/D dept. It's a constant excuse.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #427 on: March 13, 2018, 10:39:54 AM »
The insanity of this post is most evident by the fact that we had the third highest three-point percentage in the country.

Clearly your 2nd grade math education makes you unable to realize that 3-point shots count more than 2-point shots. If you'd made it to 3rd grade math you could calculate that the rare team that makes over 40 percent of their shots from behind the arc is as effective as a team that makes over 60 percent of their two point shots.

Any understanding of basketball would further lead you to understand that a team with our height is not going to make anywhere remotely close to 60% of their 2-pointers, or the fact that "jacking up 3s" - over 40% of which go in - is the only thing that then allows Rowsey and Howard to spread the defense enough that they can drive or pass against a spread out defense to get the 2-point shots you so wish to watch - many more of which would be blocked.

Because I am so blinded by the utter stupidity of this argument I cannot even start to look at your other arguments.

While it appears to me you have made the most inane argument in all my years of reading the scoop, the only charitable explanation I can hope for is that you had never watched a basketball game since the three-point line was added and did not understand that the longer shots are called 3-pointers because they are, in fact, worth one more point than the other shots.

Please never coach a basketball team at any youth level - you would be a discredit to any youth league no matter how young, and force your players to relearn the game when they got a new coach the next year.

Sorry the year proved you so wrong.

The post you quoted was from November 2015, a year in which we shot 34% from 3, bottom third in D1.

Your point stands re: last year and this year however. But I doubt anyone was complaining about our 3 point shots last year or this year.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #428 on: March 13, 2018, 10:50:08 AM »
So what if Stan's scouts were the Seton Hall games? Ya know what Seton Hall doesn't do? PnR. Ya know what we suck at? PnR defense.

The rest of this response is on me, I forgot about your clairvoyance into how coaches interact and what they are thinking by watching stuff on a TV screen every couple of days when the games are played.

Creighton runs a ton of pick and roll and we beat them twice. Who had those scouts?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #429 on: March 13, 2018, 11:16:42 AM »
I cannot believe any of y'all are actually arguing with Ners.

He played high school ball, don'tcha know?!?!

OK, Wojo also played high school ball ... and college ball ... and worked under the winningest college coach ever.

But he didn't play Ners' level of high school ball, that's for sure!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #430 on: March 13, 2018, 11:30:47 AM »
I cannot believe any of y'all are actually arguing with Ners.

He played high school ball, don'tcha know?!?!

OK, Wojo also played high school ball ... and college ball ... and worked under the winningest college coach ever.

But he didn't play Ners' level of high school ball, that's for sure!

You've gone off the rails again in your hatred 82.  Peace be with you.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #431 on: March 13, 2018, 12:46:43 PM »
Pretty sure Seton Hall games were Stan's scouts.  Also, highly doubt Wojo takes much input from his staff.  He's starting to reveal having a thin skin.

Assistants can make suggestions of course - yet imagine if an assistant were as passionate/dogged in their disagreement with Wojo, philosophically, as am I?  You think the assistant would worry about getting fired?  Probably.  It's a hard deal.  Would love to get Travis Diener one on one, off the record and pick his brain about his thoughts on Woj...

I don't know whose scouts Seton Hall were (and how do you know that?).....but we didn't do anything remarkably on defense differently then we usually do. Seton Hall just doesn't run the high pick and roll which we struggle against.

I can state for a fact that the assistants can speak freely with Wojo and are just as responsible for the defense as Wojo. Well that's not fair, the head coach is always more responsible.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 12:53:39 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #432 on: March 13, 2018, 12:50:13 PM »

Thoughts and prayers to MU82.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #433 on: March 13, 2018, 12:52:23 PM »
We've been talking about getting more experienced for 4 years now. I know the landscape of college basketball is changing with transfers and what not, but we have not shown much movement in the experience/D dept. It's a constant excuse.

We were very experienced last season and made the tournament. We lost a lot of experience this year due to graduation. We should be very experienced for the next two seasons.
TAMU

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #434 on: March 13, 2018, 12:58:31 PM »

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #435 on: March 13, 2018, 01:01:42 PM »
I don't know whose scouts Seton Hall were (and how do you know that?).....but we didn't do anything remarkably on defense differently then we usually do. Seton Hall just doesn't run the high pick and roll which we struggle against.

I can state for a fact that the assistants can speak freely with Wojo and are just as responsible for the defense as Wojo. Well that's not fair, the head coach is always more responsible.

They mentioned on broadcast that Stan had the scout. 

Out of curiosity, how does a high pick roll execute against a zone defense?   8-)

No doubt freedom of speech exists in this country and among a coaching staff.  As you point out, buck stops with head coach though, and Wojo chose to roll M2M ~95% of possessions this season. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #436 on: March 13, 2018, 01:04:19 PM »
We were very experienced last season and made the tournament. We lost a lot of experience this year due to graduation. We should be very experienced for the next two seasons.

...and hopefully a much more balanced team i.e. athletic guards and bigs as we move forward.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #437 on: March 13, 2018, 01:25:24 PM »
Creighton runs a ton of pick and roll and we beat them twice. Who had those scouts?

Basically we outscored them and our defense wasn't anything to write home about.  I will say that Epperson was having a dunk party in the first half of game 1 until we switched to zone.  Before everyone jumps on this, I believe it was the right defense for that half of that game.  Our defense pretty much stunk no matter how we aligned it.  Changing our defenses was akin to rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #438 on: March 13, 2018, 02:47:51 PM »
Fond memory.  We need more physical and athletic players like Deonte.  Then again, considering Wojo never started Deonte, maybe that's just not his kind of player?

Deonte was physical...kind of.  Dude couldn't guard anyone.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #439 on: March 13, 2018, 03:48:24 PM »

Couldn't, or wouldn't?
Have some patience, FFS.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #440 on: March 13, 2018, 03:49:45 PM »

And Wojo has a problem with this?   :o

Deonte played a rover type of a D, which is why he had a high steal and block percentage throughout his career.  He was more focused on being a playmaker defensively than being an elite, lock you up, one on one defender..

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #441 on: March 13, 2018, 03:53:47 PM »

Deonte played a rover type of a D, which is why he had a high steal and block percentage throughout his career.  He was more focused on being a playmaker defensively than being an elite, lock you up, one on one defender..

That really helps when you are trying to install a new team defensive concept

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #442 on: March 13, 2018, 04:19:53 PM »

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #443 on: March 13, 2018, 04:34:11 PM »
Deonte Burton was a terrible defensive player. Deonte also needed to move on for personal reasons so beats me what he has to do with Wojo’s defensive acumen as a coach

“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #444 on: March 13, 2018, 05:03:05 PM »

This made me laugh
TAMU

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #445 on: March 13, 2018, 05:12:14 PM »

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #446 on: March 13, 2018, 05:19:34 PM »
A year after making the Final Four, Tom Crean struggled mightily on the defensive end:

2003-04
104.6 AdjD (182nd per KenPom.com)

It took the arrival of Dominic James, Jerel McNeal, Wesley Matthews, Lazar Hayward and company to break back into the Top 30 for adjusted defensive efficiency.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #447 on: March 13, 2018, 05:23:10 PM »
A year after making the Final Four, Tom Crean struggled mightily on the defensive end:

2003-04
104.6 AdjD (182nd per KenPom.com)

It took the arrival of Dominic James, Jerel McNeal, Wesley Matthews, Lazar Hayward and company to break back into the Top 30 for adjusted defensive efficiency.

The year of making the Final Four Crean struggled mightily on the defensive end. The 2003 Marquette team was by far the worst defensive team of the advanced stats era.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #448 on: March 13, 2018, 05:28:21 PM »
The year after FF was an important year for the program and Crean failed. Building off FF was crucial and the team laid an egg. I felt that was turning point of Crean era and the start of the end for him.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #449 on: March 13, 2018, 05:54:41 PM »

To paraphrase the great Clubber Lang:

No, I don't hate Ners, but I pity da fool. And I will destroy any man who tries to wish me teal-toned thoughts and prayers.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback