[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: House of Cards or Am I Crazy  (Read 2387 times)

jsheim

House of Cards or Am I Crazy
« on: December 29, 2015, 02:50:09 PM »
Am I crazy or insecure or just uncertain....perhaps all this MU success is just a house of cards...beating a bunch of teams almost anyone could beat and getting fortunate a couple of times against the over-rated. Trouble with crummy teams .. is that who we really are? is IUPUI overtime at home who we are?...and blowouts against actual good teams (IOWA) the norm? Is the guy we think is Great just good? ...and is the track star the only guy with a vertical?  Is it all a house of cards...with a 6-12 BE destiny....is the light at the end of the tunnel a train? What a nightmare.  :-\

MU, please prove my insecurities irrational...beat Seton Hall and GT this week.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: House of Cards or Am I Crazy
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 02:56:08 PM »
We're better than we were when we played IUPUI. If we saw Belmont and IUPUI this week, I think we'd go 2-0 and win both by 8+ points.

As far as conference play...I don't know. This week will be a stern test. Both are winnable, but both are loseable too. I do think we win at least 8 in conference, and 10-12 is well within the realm of reality.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 03:00:41 PM »
Am I crazy or insecure or just uncertain....perhaps all this MU success is just a house of cards...beating a bunch of teams almost anyone could beat and getting fortunate a couple of times against the over-rated. Trouble with crummy teams .. is that who we really are? is IUPUI overtime at home who we are?...and blowouts against actual good teams (IOWA) the norm? Is the guy we think is Great just good? ...and is the track star the only guy with a vertical?  Is it all a house of cards...with a 6-12 BE destiny....is the light at the end of the tunnel a train? What a nightmare.  :-\

Maybe you be looking at the Brightside of this team, or have you not seen any encouraging signs?
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 03:04:40 PM »
Lottery picks win games even if they are freshman. And he has support and coaching. This team is good now and will get better. And in my opinion Xavier is overrated

jsheim

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 03:11:59 PM »
Maybe you be looking at the Brightside of this team, or have you not seen any encouraging signs?

You are right...there is a bright side. As Brewcity said, they are a different team than at the beginning...but those misgivings nag at me. Its going to be tough watching that Seton Hall game. Even if we're up by 12 at the half, will be nerve racking.

does anyone relate to this?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 03:12:40 PM »
Lottery picks win games even if they are freshman. And he has support and coaching. This team is good now and will get better. And in my opinion Xavier is overrated

Maybe, but XU has looked pretty damn good to me when I've seen them play.  Really good.

brandx

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 03:15:23 PM »
nd he has support and coaching. This team is good now and will get better. And in my opinion Xavier is overrated

They may be ranked a little high, but they are a very good team. Very similar to some of the good Villanova teams.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 03:24:49 PM »
Maybe, but XU has looked pretty damn good to me when I've seen them play.  Really good.

X has been excellent when I've seen them as well. More impressed with them and Butler than I am Nova thus far.

Now Providence, on the other hand, definitely seems overrated to me. Dunn is the real deal, but I'm not sold on them as a team.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 03:30:05 PM »
You are right...there is a bright side. As Brewcity said, they are a different team than at the beginning...but those misgivings nag at me. Its going to be tough watching that Seton Hall game. Even if we're up by 12 at the half, will be nerve racking.

I think a lot of us do,  I'm nervous until the final horn.    OK, maybe 20pt lead with  15 sec left.   I also go thru all my game rituals so as not to upset the balance of whatever is controlling the game.

Welcome to our Camp!
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 03:43:46 PM »
X has been excellent when I've seen them as well. More impressed with them and Butler than I am Nova thus far.

Now Providence, on the other hand, definitely seems overrated to me. Dunn is the real deal, but I'm not sold on them as a team.

Agreed on this. For whatever reason I feel Xavier is more beatable of us than Butler is. But they are definitely legit.

Providence is far more beatable. Dunn is a star and Bentil has been a machine but there isn't anything scary beyond that. We have two bigs to go at Bentil. Hopefully Dunn doesn't destroy us.

I feel pretty confident we get a win vs Prov this year.

The other top 3 we can beat. But I don't got that same confidencez
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 03:46:37 PM »
Agreed on this. For whatever reason I feel Xavier is more beatable of us than Butler is. But they are definitely legit.

Providence is far more beatable. Dunn is a star and Bentil has been a machine but there isn't anything scary beyond that. We have two bigs to go at Bentil. Hopefully Dunn doesn't destroy us.

I think Nova is very beatable this year. Brunson not playing as well as I thought he would. Granted, he's on a really good team but Nova is flawed.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 03:50:04 PM »
I think Nova is very beatable this year. Brunson not playing as well as I thought he would. Granted, he's on a really good team but Nova is flawed.

I agree but how many 3s they take and their potential makes them still scary. Obviously we're different than the past couple years and they are a little worse but I gotta see us compete with them first.

But your right, beating them at home at the very least is not crazy talk.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 03:51:10 PM »

I think a lot of us do,  I'm nervous until the final horn.    OK, maybe 20pt lead with  15 sec left.   I also go thru all my game rituals so as not to upset the balance of whatever is controlling the game.

Welcome to our Camp!

Damn, I'd love to play poker against you guys.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 03:53:03 PM »

It's been said before......this will be an exciting year to be a Marquette fan because we'll have some "wow, this team is REALLY good halves/games", some "I can't watch this cr@p anymore", and most "well that was entertaining and i drank way too much during the game" games.

On the X side - i think both them and Butler have great opportunities to make a lot of noise this year (i realize the irony/obviousness of saying that about two teams in the top 10)

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 03:58:33 PM »

+ onecez

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 04:03:54 PM »

I largely agree with this.  And I'm not going to spend this otherwise enjoyable return to meaningful MU basketball by worrying about it too much.The highlight of last year's season was a single game against the Hall at MSG.  We'll have more highlights this year.  H*ll, we already beat Bucky.  Relax and have fun guys.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 04:09:17 PM »

Not necessarily irrational... we're #29 in kenpom luck. Meaning our rec

HOWEVER, we're #89 in Sagarin's predictor, but #63 in "recent" meaning that we've been playing better of late (as if that wasn't obvious to anyone that has watched but nice to be affirmed in the data). Since this is a young team, it certainly makes sense that we would improve over the course of the season. It also wouldn't shock me to see us lose close games to tough conference competition due to lack of experience.

Long story short, it will be an entertaining season, with a wide dispersion in potential outcomes. 12-6 wouldn't shock me, nor would 6-12.

jsheim

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 04:56:50 PM »
Damn, I'd love to play poker against you guys.

Funny,  :D
my brother is a top 100 poker player...has 2 or 3 wsop bracelets. Played once with him with 100 pennies. Cleaned us all out.  Learned something with that dollar.  ;)

Class71

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2015, 05:14:47 PM »

Substitute 'Nova please.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

SuddenSam

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2015, 05:29:30 PM »
Wide dispersion is apt.  We have the "potential" to be any where from poor BE record to .500 to surprising upside.  Spray and pray.

feedback