collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The good old days on 10S Schroeder  (Read 7658 times)

real chili 83

• All American
The good old days on 10S Schroeder
« on: November 09, 2015, 10:52:50 PM »
Found these fliers in a box tonight.

The November party was memorable as Mike B, freshman from Thousand Oaks, Ca barfs in the urinal....and washed his mouth out with urinal water...eeeeuuuu. That was the night we had a bug juice machine from Schroeder's cafeteria, and everyone contributed a half pint.....eeeuuuu.

The other flier is memorable as that's the party where we perfected the art of sneaking in 10 kegs up to 10th floor. The cafeteria had a back dock. Bring the kegs in, down the steps to the basement.  Then, the gauntlet....the long hallway past WMUR, the dorm store, to the elevator. Fill the back of the elevator with kegs, pack the front with guys from the floor.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: The good old days on 10S Schroeder
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 10:57:14 PM »
Found these fliers in a box tonight.

The November party was memorable as Mike B, freshman from Thousand Oaks, Ca barfs in the urinal....and washed his mouth out with urinal water...eeeeuuuu. That was the night we had a bug juice machine from Schroeder's cafeteria, and everyone contributed a half pint.....eeeuuuu.

The other flier is memorable as that's the party where we perfected the art of sneaking in 10 kegs up to 10th floor. The cafeteria had a back dock. Bring the kegs in, down the steps to the basement.  Then, the gauntlet....the long hallway past WMUR, the dorm store, to the elevator. Fill the back of the elevator with kegs, pack the front with guys from the floor.

I was from Thousand Oaks, CA directly to MU.  Small world.  Though I'm a bit younger than you or Mike B., I suspect.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 11:03:12 PM »
Mike was an intern with the Cowboys for summer training for a summer job. 

To be fair to Mike, he was a good egg.  Just in over his head that night...and a freshman...hadn't broken in his drinking shoes yet.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 11:05:26 PM »
Mike was an intern with the Cowboys for summer training for a summer job. 

To be fair to Mike, he was a good egg.  Just in over his head that night...and a freshman...hadn't broken in his drinking shoes yet.

Really?  So was I...Thousand Oaks was their training camp home from birth until 1989.  I've been a diehard fan my whole life, and it is also one of the reasons I despise Jerrah Jones to the nth degree.

What high school did this Mike B. go to?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 11:07:15 PM »
Don't recall his HS. He would have been a 1980 HS grad. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 08:19:27 AM »

Fellow former 10Ser here (early 00s). Did you guys not have the blue bins used for moving at that time?

Check out the blue bins, put a couple kegs in each, cover with blankets, walk right in to the elevator. We felt like we were really sneaky but, in hindsight, the students working the desk had to know what we were doing. I mean, who's moving IN a bunch of stuff on the last day of class?

Ahh, the good ol' days.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 08:59:11 AM »
I was 9th Floor Schroeder.  We used to routinely bring beer in through the basement also.  Cans passed through the window bars from one person to another.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 12:33:14 PM »
The real men were on Schroeder 10N

Death on call

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 12:36:49 PM »
Glad I missed the Schroeder boat. One year in mccormick was enough to be honest. I enjoyed my time in Straz.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 09:45:59 AM »

I was on Schroeder 8S. We won the intramural football championship and 8N won the intramural basketball championship my sophomore year. When did Schroeder go Co-ed as it was all men in my day?

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 10:43:57 AM »
I was on Schroeder 8S. We won the intramural football championship and 8N won the intramural basketball championship my sophomore year. When did Schroeder go Co-ed as it was all men in my day?
I'm an 8S guy as well, but thank God it was co-ed by the early 80's....
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 02:06:47 PM »
I'm an 8S guy as well, but thank God it was co-ed by the early 80's....

My wife told me that they turned the urinals on her floor into planters with flowers

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 02:25:09 PM »
My wife told me that they turned the urinals on her floor into planters with flowers

I was wondering about that.  Heard 10 is now all women.

If the walls could talk.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 12:04:13 AM »
I was wondering about that.  Heard 10 is now all women.

If the walls could talk.

Those were great times, Chili.

I am still pissed off that they painted over all that album art...Pink Floyd Dark Side, Grateful Dead Steal Your Face, Yes Songs, Traffic On The Road...

Those Philistines would paint over the Mona Lisa. Bastards.

Death on call

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 08:25:30 AM »

Well said, Keefe.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 09:16:59 AM »

I am still pissed off that they painted over all that album art...Pink Floyd Dark Side, Grateful Dead Steal Your Face, Yes Songs, Traffic On The Road...

Are the Star Wars murals on 2nd Floor McCormick gone?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 07:42:22 PM »

Hard to believe that floor, 10S in particular produced doctors, dentists, lawyers, judges, and captains of industry.  If those walls could talk. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 08:45:02 PM »
Hard to believe that floor, 10S in particular produced doctors, dentists, lawyers, judges, and captains of industry.  If those walls could talk.

Hey! And two Colonels! Pete DiSalva made O-6 in the USMC.

Death on call

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2015, 12:54:13 PM »

8S most successful alum was Jim Runde by far.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_A._Runde

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2015, 09:30:20 PM »
i was a mccormick to tower guy but some of the stories we heard out of schroeder were legendary.  did they have moose ball in your day?  then there was the jimmy jones revival festival.  and last but not least, who could convince the first girl to join him in his room for a little escaped jailer and the wardens wife shall we say.  but, you had to provide proof of some sort the mission was accomplished-any questions-read the book. 

my concern was if i had been accepted into schroeder, it probably would have cost me a year or two of brain cells ::)
don't...don't don't don't don't

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2015, 08:58:02 AM »
Chopper from 8th floor had the funniest "proof" of all.  Chopper was "visiting" crazy Mary from the ninth floor and made an audio tape. He used to play it at parties.  "Hey baby, here come the lead pipe" was Chopper's line, in his Jersey accent.

This was nott Mary's most noteable performance.  She managed to get kicked out of dental school for performing at Ricky's on amatuer night. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2015, 11:26:31 AM »
Chopper from 8th floor had the funniest "proof" of all.  Chopper was "visiting" crazy Mary from the ninth floor and made an audio tape. He used to play it at parties.  "Hey baby, here come the lead pipe" was Chopper's line, in his Jersey accent.

This was nott Mary's most noteable performance.  She managed to get kicked out of dental school for performing at Ricky's on amatuer night.

no schmit-that was proud mary!!  she was in my class!  dr. sister tilk(2nd in command of endo dept.) caught wind of prouds extra-academic acitivities.  there were a couple of the doc "teachers" more than willing to lend her a helping hand, sometimes even a lunch date to review the days lessons.  not only ricky's(multiple times), but the last straw was at a frat party where there were many notables.  let's just say the pool table got a little scuffed up. if she would have surfaced at rickys anymore, they were probably going to have to rescind her "amateur" status

our sophomore year, she came walking into school flanked by 3 dark suits and that was the last MUSOD ever saw of her.  well, rumors have it, she re-surfaced at loyola dental(before they closed of course).  then, believe it or not, wound up in a private practice up north which i shall not name, but it is now all public record.  her dental career came to a screeching halt as she threatened the guy serving her with papers-she told him she was going to burn down his office, etc etc  this is all public record, but i'm surprised it took her this long to crash n burn(no pun)  there weerr other extenuating issues also related to behavior patterns and lifestyles but

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2015, 12:20:21 PM »
no schmit-that was proud mary!!  she was in my class!  dr. sister tilk(2nd in command of endo dept.) caught wind of prouds extra-academic acitivities.  there were a couple of the doc "teachers" more than willing to lend her a helping hand, sometimes even a lunch date to review the days lessons.  not only ricky's(multiple times), but the last straw was at a frat party where there were many notables.  let's just say the pool table got a little scuffed up. if she would have surfaced at rickys anymore, they were probably going to have to rescind her "amateur" status

our sophomore year, she came walking into school flanked by 3 dark suits and that was the last MUSOD ever saw of her.  well, rumors have it, she re-surfaced at loyola dental(before they closed of course).  then, believe it or not, wound up in a private practice up north which i shall not name, but it is now all public record.  her dental career came to a screeching halt as she threatened the guy serving her with papers-she told him she was going to burn down his office, etc etc  this is all public record, but i'm surprised it took her this long to crash n burn(no pun)  there weerr other extenuating issues also related to behavior patterns and lifestyles but

She was kicked out of Dental School for dancing at Rickey's?

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2015, 01:04:16 PM »
That's what I heard....had two roommates in dental school at the same time.  Sturgeon, we probably have a couple of mutual acquaintances if you know Mary.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 01:09:51 PM by real chili 83 »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2015, 01:48:04 PM »
If they were in Delt Sig, ya gotta ax 'em 'bout the water skiin' flicks, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2015, 03:39:56 PM »
She was kicked out of Dental School for dancing at Rickey's?

Well technically, no, BUT, in sister tilks book- when ya took her grade point avg subtract her performances at Ricky's and her pool games, it probably fell below the Mason-Dixon Line.  All ya had to do was have one conversation with her and it was Micky brings the dolls-heyna know what I mean. But a friggin body that I'm sure Schroeder 10s appreciated

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2015, 03:48:18 PM »
That's what I heard....had two roommates in dental school at the same time.  Sturgeon, we probably have a couple of mutual acquaintances if you know Mary.

Sure thing.  Mary, in her 2 years in my class was a legend-we still marvel at her talents. I was in class of 86, but knew quite a few in the classes above and below me. Well I knew Mary, but not like many others did ::). We had a great class. Our intramural b-ball team did quite well.  Our team name was "the back row". Had a blast! 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2015, 04:14:27 PM »
Any y'all got a pic of this broad? Professional courtesy and such. Axin' for a friend, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2015, 04:14:36 PM »
Did you know any dental students from Burlington?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2015, 04:33:46 PM »
Any y'all got a pic of this broad? Professional courtesy and such. Axin' for a friend, hey?

Page 208 of the 1983 Hilltop.

I'm on page 280.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2015, 06:20:09 PM »
Page 208 of the 1983 Hilltop.

I'm on page 280.

Gonna have to dig into the archives and see if I can still find my Hilltoppers.  Burlington?  Yes.  2 guys- Tim s is still in Burlington his dad was a dentist(rip) and his brother John p. S. Used to practice in delavan, but that sob retired(he's only 55) Tim's wife practices in Waterford. Nice people. And tom s practices in Racine

damn ipads
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 08:00:25 PM by rocket surgeon »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2015, 06:22:23 PM »

Actually, she looked kinda like a young Marilyn Monroe is my recollection anyway. Except with bigger breastesses that kept staring me right in the eyes

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2015, 06:25:19 PM »
John and Tom were roomies in the Swamp.

John...that's what happens when you don't get married and no kids.  Lots of spendable income.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2015, 06:40:43 PM »
John and Tom were roomies in the Swamp.

John...that's what happens when you don't get married and no kids.  Lots of spendable income.

That's them!  A lot of fun with those guys!  I see tom at our ce courses and the mentor dinners

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2015, 06:56:42 PM »
Ha.  Tom and John are in the pic on page 280.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2015, 08:16:42 PM »
NM

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2015, 07:46:09 AM »
shoot!  i only have hilltop '78, '79, '80, '81 then highspeed thrills '86 

oh yeah-pulled it up online the cheese brothers-upper right hand corner cheesey quiffe(don't wanna know) and swizzsmith-cool!

wait a minute-shouldn't they have been in dental school that year or was that '82 revisited?  cuz we gadiated in '82 i guess

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2015, 08:28:09 AM »
All of those guys, except for Nubs, were class of '83.  Tom was accepted into dental school after his junior year, and technically didn't get his undergrad degree.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2015, 08:38:46 AM »
I found that public record on Mary that  you referenced.  Sounds like she took a hard fall.  Hope she recovers from that.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2015, 08:55:13 AM »
All of those guys, except for Nubs, were class of '83.  Tom was accepted into dental school after his junior year, and technically didn't get his undergrad degree.

i didn't know he was a brainiac??  yeah, mary went downhill fast.  she didn't contest the charges plus she had an uncontested lawsuit($50k) filed which means she probably lost that and her practice.  she has a brother up there who's a dentist also-wonder if that affected his business?  the attorney who represented the guy suing mary, his brother is a dentist up there whose son-law worked for me-interesting situation, but sad.  actually, not surprised except that she lasted this long, but no one wishes this upon anyone.  to be very honest, i really don't know how she got accepted into MUSOD as there were a few others-ask tom and johnny p about a guy named serafino sometime-another great story(s)

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2015, 09:15:24 AM »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2015, 11:03:50 AM »

Death on call

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2015, 05:47:00 PM »
Ditto. This was our RA: http://johnnybeehner.com

Also, this guy lived on 10S. https://www.aei.org/scholar/michael-r-strain/

looks like despite all the "college shenanigans" that historically go on at schroeder univ., it still produced some mighty fine and productive, tax paying americans heyna?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2015, 10:36:04 PM »
looks like despite all the "college shenanigans" that historically go on at schroeder univ., it still produced some mighty fine and productive, tax paying americans heyna?

You ever hang out with the Burlington boys at the swamp?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2015, 11:38:46 AM »

no, unless that is where we had one of our Halloween parties.  otherwise, i don't remember the swamp.  i'll have to ask tom next time i see him why i wasn't on the esteemed list.  i doubt it was because i couldn't keep up with them though ::) ask him if he remembers the time i "pants'ed"  K.S. at our graduation picnic.  she was a great classmate but not in proud mary's league.  no impromptu's at ricky's

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2015, 12:12:54 PM »
no, unless that is where we had one of our Halloween parties.  otherwise, i don't remember the swamp.  i'll have to ask tom next time i see him why i wasn't on the esteemed list.  i doubt it was because i couldn't keep up with them though ::) ask him if he remembers the time i "pants'ed"  K.S. at our graduation picnic.  she was a great classmate but not in proud mary's league.  no impromptu's at ricky's
That was our house senior year...and Tom's first year of dental school. Tom and JPS moved to a house further west when JPS got into dent school.

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2015, 12:44:51 PM »
Why were you wasting time in the dorms when the drinking age was 18 back then?  kegs in dorms... becuase the challenge was there?

--4N alum.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2015, 07:42:14 PM »
Why were you wasting time in the dorms when the drinking age was 18 back then?  kegs in dorms... becuase the challenge was there?

--4N alum.

It was far easier to close the deal because there was a warm bed just steps away...

That long cold walk from the Lanche could douse the flames...

Death on call

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2015, 04:57:49 AM »
It was far easier to close the deal because there was a warm bed just steps away...

That long cold walk from the Lanche could douse the flames...

yeah, so much easier for the routine-a couple of night-caps, brush and floss, maybe drop a bonus deuce, watch a little late night news, fall asleep to some kenny g on the headphones...so perfect-heyna?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2015, 01:11:37 PM »
yeah, so much easier for the routine-a couple of night-caps, brush and floss, maybe drop a bonus deuce, watch a little late night news, fall asleep to some kenny g on the headphones...so perfect-heyna?

I was thinking more along the lines of finding 'companionship'

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2015, 08:27:54 PM »
Lotta Rosie Palm and her 5 friends back then, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2015, 09:22:33 PM »
Lotta Rosie Palm and her 5 friends back then, hey?

The only one who never ever asked what I was thinking...

Death on call

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2015, 09:28:07 PM »
I was thinking more along the lines of finding 'companionship'

you had a room mate right?    couldn't pass that one up keefer ;D

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2015, 10:07:11 PM »
Schroeder was a target rich environment.

If the walls could talk....

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2015, 10:31:58 PM »
you had a room mate right?    couldn't pass that one up keefer ;D

Now a partner at Gardner Carton and Douglas.

We have a truce - we have too much dirt on each other so going to war would be mutually assured destruction...

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2015, 10:33:09 PM »
Schroeder was a target rich environment.

If the walls could talk....

Thank god those walls and floors were poured concrete...

Death on call

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2015, 07:39:39 AM »
Now a partner at Gardner Carton and Douglas.

We have a truce - we have too much dirt on each other so going to war would be mutually assured destruction...

you know how that goes-keep your friends closer...

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2015, 07:56:40 AM »
you know how that goes-keep your friends closer...
that's... not how that one goes
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Slim

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2015, 12:49:57 PM »

The Burlington Boys are my cousins. I was MUSODomy class of '85.

Schroeder 8N

Mary was a legend!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2015, 02:59:35 PM »

Schroeder 8N

Mary was a legend!

i knew a lot of you guys-i was class of '86

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2015, 04:08:17 PM »

Schroeder 8N

Mary was a legend!

You related to JPS? 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2015, 04:11:11 PM »

Mary was a legend!

She started as an accounting major, then nursing, then dentistry.  Smart chick, but crazy wild.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2015, 04:12:31 PM »

Schroeder 8N

Mary was a legend!

We're you ever at the swamp?

You probably know Nubs too, eh?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2015, 05:07:33 PM »
She started as an accounting major, then nursing, then dentistry.  Smart chick, but crazy wild.

nursing?  holy schnikees! good visual though.  was her middle name "nancy"?  come to think of it, she looked good in white and red stripes ::)  not sure about smart; she did get what she wanted though-heyna?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2015, 07:43:38 PM »

What did she do as a practicing dentist that got her in trouble?

This has got to be a great story

Death on call

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2015, 11:08:35 PM »
What did she do as a practicing dentist that got her in trouble?

This has got to be a great story

long story-it's all on the DEB reports which is public record-i do need to clarify one thing-this is a very unfortunate story-i hope and pray she is doing well.  it is another sad story of how drugs and alcohol can and will affect anyone of all walks of life; it is indiscriminate.  i know a lot of prominent people who are recovering and doing well along with those who still suffer.  it will kick your arse if you allow it.  our profession did the right thing, it tried to get her help, but at the same time, it must protect the public and maintain the integrity of our standard of care.