[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Biggest win since Kentucky  (Read 9292 times)

PuertoRicanNightmare

Biggest win since Kentucky
« on: December 08, 2007, 07:39:01 PM »
With UConn a close second. That was just a phenomenal game. James, for the second straight game, played like the All American he's been touted to be.

I actually thought a huge key to the game was Crean keeping things in control when it looked like things could get ugly after that James double T (no fault of DJ). He made a couple of quick substitutions and Marquette calmed down and ultimately proved to be the better team.

I also say, for all the grief our bigs get, that both Barro and Burke represented themselves well. I have no idea what the numbers were, but both of them had some big plays, grabbed some big rebounds and dropped in their share of points.

Remarkably, it was something of a down game for a couple of our "bigger" guys -- Hayward and Matthews -- and we still pulled it out.

I can only imagine how much those guys are celebrating.

Huge, huge win. And I FINALLY -- after three years -- think the "Three Amigos" are becoming fun to watch.

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
Re: Biggest win since Kentucky
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 07:41:10 PM »
This was a real statement game for the season for a lot of reasons.  Also, since you take so much crap for your criticisms of Crean, I would like to thank you for complimenting his coaching.  Crean did a masterful job tonight against a coach and program who has essentially dominated him during his tenure at Marquette.  This game and the Duke game really showed what we are capable of doing, and to win at the Kremlin was something else.  What a great win.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 07:55:21 PM »
I'd have to go with UCONN as it was our first Big East game against the number 2 team in the country.  I felt like that game showed we belong here.

Nonetheless, a huge win, especially considering Madison was in the bonus with 11:22 left in the 2nd half.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 07:57:31 PM »
after the early offensive rebounds UW got, id say crean coached one of his best games ever. to outrebound a much bigger team, with fitz out, hayward in fould trouble, matthews relatively inefective, etc etc. of coarse it helps to have DJ and Jerel and  :o burke

I wouldnt call it the biggest win, Id go UCONN and then maybe the away game at Pitt, but apples and oranges

farmdaddy

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 07:58:57 PM »
And I FINALLY -- after three years -- think the "Three Amigos" are becoming fun to watch.

Never thought I would hear you say that PRN

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 08:01:08 PM »
And I FINALLY -- after three years -- think the "Three Amigos" are becoming fun to watch.

no offense to wes, but tonight the 3rd amigo was dwight

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 08:05:37 PM »

Me neither, but their boneheaded plays are becoming much more infrequent. The last two games are the two best back-to-back games James has played at MU. I still think McNeal -- offensively -- pre-decides when he's going to shoot, but overall he played well tonight. James flat carried us, though.

Somebody must be getting through to these very talented guys!!  

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 08:08:25 PM »
Perhaps that someone is the coach who you can't stand..........

;D

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 08:16:02 PM »

;D
That's what I was implying. He's done a great job with these guys, I'm not going to deny that!

My biggest thing tonight is that MU kept their composure, which they did NOT do last year vs. ND or Michigan State and that I attribute to coaching (and to a lesser extent to competent officiating). In this game, we clearly could have lost it in a hostile environment, but Crean kept his cool. So did his team.

Kudos to Crean for that!!

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 08:27:08 PM »
Two things:

One, I think MU did a great job of crowd control tonight--something they have struggled with before on the road.  Every time it seemed like the Badgers were working on a run and getting the Grate-ing Red into it, our boys buckled down and shut 'em up.  And, the great part was that they didn't necessarily do it with 'huge' plays.  They just kept doing what they were doing.  In so doing, they just kinda let the air out of UW's tires.

Second, I think I've got agree that UConn was a bigger game.  While winning on the road against our biggest rival is great, I don't think you can beat the statement that UConn made.  We not only beat the #2 team in the country in that game, we did it with a huge explanation point.  Tonight was a real good, gritty win, but I didn't feel terribly confident the whole night--I think UW gave away a lot of opportunities.

Regardless, love beatin' 'em rodents, and can't wait for the BEast to start!

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 08:41:31 PM »
Was really nervous about this game. Had we lost, there would have been a real possibility that the Big Three would never beat the Rodents. Now next year we get them at home. Let's beat them twice!

No Marquette Basketball team will lose to a team from Wisconsin this year.
MU Men beat Panther High and the Rodents.
Lady Warriors beat the Lady Rodents and Cardinal Stritch.

Just thought it was worth pointing out.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 09:37:53 PM »
The women won at uwgb as well, Cardinal Stritch was an ex game.

Judd

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 11:20:54 PM »
Great win ! Just the kind of win that I feel we really need to take
that step forward. One question however, is there or has there ever
been a team that commits more fouls 20+ feet away from the
basket? Boy we sure bail people out with these meaningless fouls.
Anyway life is good for MU fans tonight.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 12:02:10 AM »
Great win, but not the biggest since UCONN.

Despite the streak, UW was not itself. No Tucker. No experienced backcourt. Bo Ryan made some coaching mental farts, too.
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 12:15:05 AM »

Despite the streak, UW was not itself. No Tucker. No experienced backcourt. Bo Ryan made some coaching mental farts, too.

And we were not ourselves in the NCAA tournament last year without McNeal.  Stuff happens.

Are you sure you're pleased we won tonight?

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 08:49:52 AM »
In terms of the win being "huge" I think we'll have plenty of big games in the Big East but hopefully Jamil Wilson was watching this game! ;)
Come on Jamil, You're not big, slow, and/or boring so you wouldn't be a good fit for WI...stay close to home and come on over to MU!!!

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 09:07:29 AM »

And we were not ourselves in the NCAA tournament last year without McNeal.  Stuff happens.

Are you sure you're pleased we won tonight?

Judging from every single comment relating to this game, I'd guess someone had big money riding on UW... either that or a huge non-conference road win against bitter rivals is something to be critical about?  Just doesn't make sense.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2007, 10:32:59 AM »
i'd put this a clos second behind uconn. but this was on the road...the kohl center.
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 10:43:02 AM »
Everyone talks about UConn but what about last season's finale against Pittsburgh? After the amazing overtime game in Pittsburgh, the Panthers rolled into Milwaukee looking for blood (pun) and very well could have had it considering our best player at the time was ruled out the day before (and no one knew about it).

They really played well that night under very, very difficult circumstances.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2007, 10:43:35 AM »
With UConn a close second. That was just a phenomenal game. James, for the second straight game, played like the All American he's been touted to be.

I agree, great win. I disagree on best win since Kentucky. We have had some great BE wins since Kentucky game. Not to mention beating Duke last year.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2007, 11:30:15 AM »

;D
That's what I was implying. He's done a great job with these guys, I'm not going to deny that!

My biggest thing tonight is that MU kept their composure, which they did NOT do last year vs. ND or Michigan State and that I attribute to coaching (and to a lesser extent to competent officiating). In this game, we clearly could have lost it in a hostile environment, but Crean kept his cool. So did his team.

Kudos to Crean for that!!

carful prn, statements like that might get you off harrison's christmas card list. ;)

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2007, 12:06:08 PM »
The OT win on National TV against #6 PITT, last year was bigger. We needed the quality win on the road last year more than we will need it this year. Plus it was a conference game.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2007, 02:00:49 PM »
While it was a great win, I don't know if I can put it in the list of the biggest wins of the past few years.

When we played Duke in KC, @Pitt last year, UK in 2003, in each of those games most people would have been okay with a strong performance even in a loss.  For example, if we had played strong versus Kentucky in 2003 but lost a close game, people would still complement the team for a great game against the #1 team.

Meanwhile, I don't think anybody would have been pleased with a strong performance in a loss last night.  Wisconsin is down this year, they lack depth at guard, they can't get up and down the court as well, they were blown out by Duke, a team MU took to the wire, etc.

I think going into the game last night--when looking at the comparison of both teams facing Duke and MU's monster wins over Oklahoma State and UWM, I have to think most people thought that MU was going to win the game. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2007, 04:02:12 PM »

Me neither, but their boneheaded plays are becoming much more infrequent. The last two games are the two best back-to-back games James has played at MU. I still think McNeal -- offensively -- pre-decides when he's going to shoot, but overall he played well tonight. James flat carried us, though.

Somebody must be getting through to these very talented guys!! 

I think what you are seeing is maturity out of these players.

We've seen the talent the past couple of years... but now their maturity and approach has gotten so much better.

That's why I haven't been too critical of the team the past couple of years because I feel like they were "taking their lumps" so to speak.

What you saw yesterday was a mature team that didn't get rattled and performed at a high level even after having some tough calls and turnovers.

I know in modern day college basketball freshman do have a big impact... but I also know that upperclassman tend to be more mature and consistent.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2007, 10:22:40 PM »
While it was a great win, I don't know if I can put it in the list of the biggest wins of the past few years.

When we played Duke in KC, @Pitt last year, UK in 2003, in each of those games most people would have been okay with a strong performance even in a loss.  For example, if we had played strong versus Kentucky in 2003 but lost a close game, people would still complement the team for a great game against the #1 team.

Meanwhile, I don't think anybody would have been pleased with a strong performance in a loss last night.  Wisconsin is down this year, they lack depth at guard, they can't get up and down the court as well, they were blown out by Duke, a team MU took to the wire, etc.

I think going into the game last night--when looking at the comparison of both teams facing Duke and MU's monster wins over Oklahoma State and UWM, I have to think most people thought that MU was going to win the game. 

If most people thought we were going to win then why were we 3.5 point underdogs?    They were blown out by duke at duke not a neutral site.  And no, we wouldn't have been happy with a loss, just like every other game.

feedback