[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NYT: Court Strikes Down Payments to College Athletes  (Read 1611 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
NYT: Court Strikes Down Payments to College Athletes
« on: September 30, 2015, 09:41:31 PM »
Court Strikes Down Payments to College Athletes
September 30, 2015

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/01/sports/obannon-ncaa-case-court-of-appeals-ruling.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

The N.C.A.A. may restrict colleges from compensating athletes beyond the cost of attendance, a three-judge panel of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit ruled Wednesday in an apparent victory for the college sports establishment as it fights efforts to expand athletes’ rights.

As college football and, to a lesser extent, men’s basketball have generated millions of dollars in revenue through television broadcast deals and merchandise sales, some critics, including former and current athletes, have lobbied for greater financial compensation. The appeals court bluntly said that limiting compensation to the cost of attendance in exchange for use of the players’ names, images and likenesses was sufficient under antitrust law.

The cost of attendance, typically several thousand dollars more than a traditional scholarship, accounts for the financial demands of additional activities like traveling home and back and paying cellphone bills. In January, the five most prominent football conferences voted to allow colleges to provide the higher figure to athletes.

The N.C.A.A. may restrict colleges from compensating athletes beyond the cost of attendance, a three-judge panel of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit ruled Wednesday in an apparent victory for the college sports establishment as it fights efforts to expand athletes’ rights.

As college football and, to a lesser extent, men’s basketball have generated millions of dollars in revenue through television broadcast deals and merchandise sales, some critics, including former and current athletes, have lobbied for greater financial compensation. The appeals court bluntly said that limiting compensation to the cost of attendance in exchange for use of the players’ names, images and likenesses was sufficient under antitrust law.

The cost of attendance, typically several thousand dollars more than a traditional scholarship, accounts for the financial demands of additional activities like traveling home and back and paying cellphone bills. In January, the five most prominent football conferences voted to allow colleges to provide the higher figure to athletes.

In essence, the Ninth Circuit on Wednesday upheld Judge Claudia Wilken’s finding that preserving amateurism was not by itself enough to keep N.C.A.A. rules on compensation exempt from antitrust law.

“They specifically went in and said the N.C.A.A. violated antitrust law,” said Sonny Vaccaro, a longtime N.C.A.A. critic who helped start the O’Bannon lawsuit. “That opens things up, and it’s tremendous.”

Mr. O’Bannon’s lawyer, Michael Hausfeld, added that the ruling also explicitly tied athletics to academics more strongly.

“What has prevailed for the last century can no longer continue,” he said. “Athletes are going to be have to be given more freedom, and the schools are going to have to exercise more responsibility over their academic experience.”

The case, although legally a dispute over antitrust law, has come to embody a broader debate about whether college athletes, who ostensibly pursue sports as part of their education, should be compensated for labors that are highly lucrative for their colleges, their conferences and the N.C.A.A.

The decision, along with N.C.A.A. changes, in part prompted by and aimed at heading off lawsuits like this one, has prompted many colleges that field teams in the top football conferences and in Division I men’s basketball to begin setting aside more money to compensate athletes. Those payments potentially raise new questions about competitive balance in college sports, Title IX rules relating to women’s sports, and athletic departments’ bottom lines.

The tide has generally turned toward the expansion of athletes’ rights, although the N.C.A.A. and colleges still insist that their athletes are amateurs and students first.

In August, the N.C.A.A. and the college sports establishment won another victory when the National Labor Relations Board overturned a regional director’s finding that Northwestern football players were employees who could unionize under federal labor law.

Two cases, which have been coordinated and have a class certification hearing on Thursday before Judge Wilken, seek an injunction against N.C.A.A. rules banning compensation.

One of those cases, led by the lawyer Jeffrey Kessler, essentially seeks a free market for athletes in top football and Division I men’s basketball programs. (Mr. Kessler was unavailable to comment Wednesday on the Ninth Circuit’s ruling.) That case is expected to be remanded to a Federal District Court in New Jersey, where, in turn, any eventual appeal would go to a different circuit court.

At a basic level, Wednesday’s Ninth Circuit ruling should give such a case hope; an alternative would have been to find that, as the N.C.A.A. insisted, rules restricting compensation were justified under antitrust law.

The other case seeks, among other things, damages for past compensation that athletes were denied before the N.C.A.A. approved the full-cost-of-attendance model.

“It’s very helpful in some respects,” said Steve Berman, a lawyer for the plaintiffs in that case.

“Given this precedent,” Mr. Berman added, “we might be entitled to summary judgment on the damages.”

The question, he said, is whether Wednesday’s ruling precludes athletes from seeking compensation above the full cost of attendance.

“There’s a footnote that says the record on why $5,000 was appropriate was not fully developed,” Mr. Berman said. “We’re going to try to fully develop the record to establish that the conferences could compete and pay student-athletes without interfering with amateurism.”

He added: “Where the fight’s going to be is, are we foreclosed by this ruling for seeking anything above the cost of attendance? That’s the battleground.”

On the N.C.A.A.’s conference call, the Big 12 commissioner, Bob Bowlsby, echoed Mr. Emmert’s satisfaction with the heart of the decision.

“This provides some level of uncertainty, but also a welcome level of certainty,” Mr. Bowlsby said, adding, “In the main, I believe this has affirmed the amateur status of collegiate athletes.”

Mr. Emmert, too, said he hoped the ruling would provide clarity to N.C.A.A. universities and help deter future legal challenges.

Each side will have 14 days to request a rehearing in front of the full Ninth Circuit, or 90 days to appeal to the Supreme Court. Mr. Hausfeld said he was weighing his options, and the N.C.A.A.’s chief legal officer, Donald Remy, said his organization was doing the same.

GGGG

• All American
Re: NYT: Court Strikes Down Payments to College Athletes
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 09:48:23 PM »
Well of course you are wrong.  The NCAA lost this one.

http://www.atlredline.com/ncaa-defeated-by-rule-of-reason-in-obannon-lawsuit-1733800261

"In a monumental ruling today, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals determined that the NCAA’s rules prohibiting student-athletes from being paid for the use of their names, images, and likenesses constituted an unlawful restraint of trade in violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 10:20:15 PM »
Well of course you are wrong.  The NCAA lost this one.

http://www.atlredline.com/ncaa-defeated-by-rule-of-reason-in-obannon-lawsuit-1733800261

"In a monumental ruling today, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals determined that the NCAA’s rules prohibiting student-athletes from being paid for the use of their names, images, and likenesses constituted an unlawful restraint of trade in violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act."

Not exactly, if you just read what the judges said I would call this a draw thus far, with the potential for a loss or a win.  Two of the judges said they violated anti-trust laws, but the remedy of paying players is not something that can be undone.  That sounds like a potential victory for the NCAA.

At any rate, it's the 9th circus anyway, the most overturned Federal court in the last three decades.  This still has a long long way to go.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 10:30:54 PM »
Not exactly, if you just read what the judges said I would call this a draw thus far, with the potential for a loss or a win.  Two of the judges said they violated anti-trust laws, but the remedy of paying players is not something that can be undone.  That sounds like a potential victory for the NCAA.

At any rate, it's the 9th circus anyway, the most overturned Federal court in the last three decades.  This still has a long long way to go.

Great point. 

Step 1 is the hippies (9th circus in San Fran) offered an opinion.  Step 2 is to appeal it to the adults and see if they agree.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 10:40:44 PM »

Uh...nope.  The court upheld the basic premise.  If you read the link I posted:

"Perhaps most important for the future of the NCAA — and an issue that the NCAA will likely take to the United States Supreme Court — is that the 9th Circuit dismantled the NCAA’s favorite Board of Regents defense. For decades, the NCAA has clung to the Board of Regents case as a shield from antitrust actions. However, the 9th Circuit held that this decision about television contracts was inapplicable here and chose to apply a Rule of Reason test."

The $5,000 remedy was overturned, but now the NCAA is now beholden to anti-trust regulations.  In the long-run, that is a loss.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 10:46:16 PM »
Sultan, did you read the first paragraph of the article you linked?

and

“In this case,” it added, “the N.C.A.A.’s rules have been more restrictive than necessary to maintain its tradition of amateurism in support of the college sports market. The Rule of Reason requires that the N.C.A.A. permit its schools to provide up to the cost of attendance to their student-athletes. It does not require more.

And this...mind you, again...all from YOUR article

Gabe Feldman, a professor at Tulane’s law school, said: “I would say this is a huge victory for the N.C.A.A. There was some question about the future of the amateurism model, and at least for now, a majority of this panel of the Ninth Circuit has reaffirmed the N.C.A.A.’s amateurism model and their definition of amateurism."

I'll link it again   http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/01/sports/obannon-ncaa-case-court-of-appeals-ruling.html?_r=0

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 11:03:00 PM »
Sultan, did you read the first paragraph of the article you linked?

and

“In this case,” it added, “the N.C.A.A.’s rules have been more restrictive than necessary to maintain its tradition of amateurism in support of the college sports market. The Rule of Reason requires that the N.C.A.A. permit its schools to provide up to the cost of attendance to their student-athletes. It does not require more.

And this...mind you, again...all from YOUR article

Gabe Feldman, a professor at Tulane’s law school, said: “I would say this is a huge victory for the N.C.A.A. There was some question about the future of the amateurism model, and at least for now, a majority of this panel of the Ninth Circuit has reaffirmed the N.C.A.A.’s amateurism model and their definition of amateurism."

I'll link it again   http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/01/sports/obannon-ncaa-case-court-of-appeals-ruling.html?_r=0

I didn't link that article dummy.  Heisentroll did.

Are you new to the internet or something???

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 11:06:02 PM »
My bad.  Old age I guess.

So, how do you feel about the NY Times, Tulane Law professor, etc, saying the NCAA won?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 11:14:31 PM »
My bad.  Old age I guess.

So, how do you feel about the NY Times, Tulane Law professor, etc, saying the NCAA won?

I think they came out with an early analysis that didn't take the entire affect of the ruling into consideration.  While they did agree that the remedy was wrong, they completely undercut the basis of the NCAA's opinion and said that their entire system was in violation of anti-trust rules.

In the long run, the $5,000 payments may be small stuff compared to the rulings that are built off this precedent.  So while I think they won this battle, I think they are going to lose the war unless this gets overturned.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 09:07:05 AM »
Split decision really a victory for the NCAA...that was my contention.  Yahoo sports seems to agree.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/why-the-appeals-court-s-split-decision-was-a-victory-for-the-ncaa-165645599.html

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 09:08:40 AM »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 09:09:46 AM »
<sigh>

I can't help it if these guys didn't read the entire decision.  Let me give you a hint...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrhic_victory
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 09:12:22 AM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 09:23:37 AM »
"borrowed" from another site:

I received the below boilerplate email yesterday from Donald Remy, Chief Legal Officer of the NCAA. It has some talking points for member institutions, but I thought I'd copy/paste it here for discussion purposes.

Colleagues:
 As you may know, a US Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals panel issued its decision for the O’Bannon v. NCAA case. The panel dismissed the terms of the injunction that would have allowed student-athletes to receive up to $5,000 beyond cost of attendance. But it upheld the circuit court’s ruling that NCAA rules limiting below COA what college athletes can receive violates antitrust laws. We are currently reviewing the details of the decision and will advise you on any developments.

Below are talking points for your use with your constituents:
• We remain committed to meeting the evolving needs of college athletes, including recent changes to provide full cost-of-attendance scholarships, unlimited meals and four-year scholarships, because our priority is to provide educational and life opportunities through college sports.
• We agree with the US Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals that the injunction “allowing students to be paid cash compensation of up to $5,000 per year was erroneous.”
• We are pleased the court has reaffirmed our position that college athletes are students and not paid professionals.
• The court endorsed amateurism as integral to the NCAA and noted that not paying student-athletes is precisely what makes them amateurs.
• Since August 1, the NCAA has allowed Division I member schools to provide up to full cost of attendance; however, we disagree that it should be mandated by the courts.
• The panel decision is at odds with how other federal circuit courts have analyzed amateurism rules under antitrust laws.
• We will continue to review the decision to determine what, if any, next steps are appropriate.

A link to opinion is provided below. We will provide updates as available.

Donald

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2015, 05:31:54 PM »
As an antitrust lawyer, I can tell you that this is no question a major loss for the NCAA. The reporters are looking at the fact that the $5,000 stipend got struck down, but the real issue in the case is whether NCAA amateurism regulations are subject to antitrust scrutiny from the courts.

Under this decision, the NCAA just went from "no court review of its regulations" to "needing to justify every regulation concerning student perks."  The NCAA will no doubt appeal.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14