[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Where is Marquette? by muwarrior69
[Today at 09:46:37 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: San Francisco  (Read 7377 times)

Sheriff

• Starter
Re: San Francisco
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2015, 04:20:04 PM »
I concur that Napa trumps SF (though I disagree with 84 - SF is also a gem.)

In Napa there are lots of great venues for dining but make Bottega in Yountville one of your dinners. It is superb.

As for wineries there are so many excellent choices but Merryvale in St Helena is a must stop. Do the barrel tasting.

And Orin Swift.  Also in St. Helena.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2015, 05:58:10 PM »
If you're going to Sausalito and you have the time, think about renting a bicycle and riding across the Golden Gate Bridge. You can take the ferry back. That's a half day or so though.

And if you're in the neighborhood, here's a unique pie and ice cream place.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/chile-pies-baking-co-san-francisco

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2015, 10:16:10 PM »

Wine - V. Sattui.  Buy a bottle and sit on their lawn and eat it with some cheese and sausage from their little shop.  Don't go for the expensive stuff... just a Sattui family red is good enough. (St.Helena)

My wife and I would never leave Napa without a case of Sattui Cabs. I think they only sell through their winery. Brilliant wines.

Death on call

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2015, 10:31:29 PM »
And Orin Swift.  Also in St. Helena.
Right on, The Prisoner! Love the Papillon label.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2015, 01:11:11 AM »
My wife and I would never leave Napa without a case of Sattui Cabs. I think they only sell through their winery. Brilliant wines.
Sounds like we have similar taste.  I "discovered" it in '93 as a great place for good wine and picnic when I was living in the bay area.  Left the bay area in '95 and have ordered a case a year ever since... they sell from the vineyard or on-line.    My fave was Suzanne's vineyard Cab but I don't think it's even available any more... or maybe the vineyard has been re-named, but it was always smooth and drinkable. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2015, 10:27:47 AM »
Forgot about Sattui.  Great place to stop for lunch, cheese, wine, walk the grounds...

Sattui makes some great wines

Death on call

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2015, 09:36:29 PM »
Right on, The Prisoner! Love the Papillon label.
Papillon, Palermo, Machete, Abstract and Mercury Head are all outstanding.  David Finney sold The Prisoner and Saldo brands but The Prisoner has held its own since. 

We need a wine thread on this board.

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2015, 09:41:11 PM »
The Lodi old vine zins are excellent but my favorites are from closer to the coast. Seghesio from Russian River is my favorite but the Rancho Zabaco from Sonoma is a solid second choice. Lodi gets acclaim for its old vines but it is far from the only valley growing world class zin grapes.
I agree the Seghesio zins are excellent.  Michael David out of Lodi produces some very good and reasonably priced cabs (Freakshow and Earthquake).

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2015, 02:04:52 PM »
I agree the Seghesio zins are excellent.  Michael David out of Lodi produces some very good and reasonably priced cabs (Freakshow and Earthquake).

The Seghesio zins are always spot on. And for a carnivore and Asian food hound like me they stand up to the boldest dishes. Seghesio's are big wines that finish longer than almost any other varietal I have had.

Russian River and Dry Creek produce spectacular grapes. Freeport mentioned Jackass Hill grapes from Martinelli. I have had Martinelli Pinot Noirs...I may get up off my wallet and find a Jackass Hill zin from the aughts.

Death on call

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2015, 05:06:53 PM »
Absolutely agree on the Martinelli.  Another Dry Creek zin to consider is Rage from Michael David.  The 2010 vintage was really good. 

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2015, 10:09:43 AM »
Pezzi King Zin was a favorite of ours.