[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Notre Dame Says They Will Leave The NCAA If Players Get Paid  (Read 15419 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Notre Dame Says They Will Leave The NCAA If Players Get Paid
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2015, 10:08:59 PM »
Only Notre Dame fans and self loathers like Chicos think that Notre Dame matters that much. If they went away, college football and college athletics would be just fine. It's not the 1950s any longer. Sure people would wail and render their clothing, but in the end the ratings will be high and ND would be mentioned along with the likes of Yale and Harvard. Simply a nice memory from a bygone era.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2015, 10:12:26 PM »
How would you rank ND compared to similar academic institutions ... Northwestern, Duke, Stanford, Vanderbilt?

Are they more or less disingenuous than those schools?

More. Those other schools don't claim the moral and ethical superiority that ND does. They can balance both without telling everyone how pure they are...even though they aren't.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2015, 10:57:48 PM »
Ha, I rejected them. Chose to be a warrior.  Probably didn't hurt that I wanted to get out of town too.  Yes, I said no to ND.
Ditto!  As an Irish kid in a non Irish part of the country I heard "bet you can't wait to go to ND" all the time growing up.  I applied so I could say no.

That being said there is one saying that is 99.9% accurate in my 17 years post graduation experience ..."I've never met an ND grad that I can't get along with or genuinely like, but I've met thousands of ND fans that i can't stand".  Yeah, there are some AHole ND grads but probably no more or less than the general population (just take 20 minutes and browse through the Politics board on Scoop and tell me you'd be proud to show that dialog to someone as representing MU alumni) but it's their fan base that's really caustic. 

They're evil because of their subway fan base and the X% minority that are obnoxious.  They have a bigger brand than we do, better academics, and a substantially larger endowment.  I'd like to think that we'd act better than they would if the tables were turned but i don't think we have a solid footing to say we would.

Maybe I've just been lucky in my interactions with ND alum but every single one of them has had respect for Marquette alumni. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2015, 12:51:25 AM »
Is everyone here hate them because they rejected them?

Why is that the go to excuse for Madison and ND fans? Never would have even considered applying to ND. But just cause you're so curious. I turned down Northwestern.

Also going back to how Vandy, NU and Stanford recruit, they are no where near as scummy as the domers. I think Northwestern has had one top 150 recruit in the past decade and we all know the state of Vandy football right now.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2015, 01:05:19 AM »

I hate them because I was raised to not like Irish American culture which is basically what ND is the epitome of. Also as a pale, first generation irish, not tall, boxer their mascot ticks me off with the amount of times I've been compared to that little imp. Plus there's the issue with my cousin's friend who killed herself after being raped by the two football players who got off clean despite texting her and implying threats during the investigation. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2015, 03:25:48 AM »

Happy to say I rejected them... and Bucky.  I applied pretty much so I could at some point say this.  I also applied before I saw the campus... bunch of "pseudo" old buildings in a godforsaken corn field.  That did it.

If they leave the NCAA, more power to them.  I like the principles the prez is standing up for.  The problem is, something's gotta change.  The NCAA is an antique and needs to be re-formed.  The second problem is, I haven't seen a workable idea for NCAA rev2.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2015, 07:45:40 AM »
ND is a fine institution and the most well-known "brand" in college sports. If they left the NCAA, the NCAA would be poorer for it.

But the NCAA wouldn't go out of business. And after the furor dies down, the NCAA would be just fine ... until its next mini-catastrophe (often caused by itself).

It's like after Coach and Diane left Cheers. Their absence was felt, especially at first, but Cheers went on just fine without them.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2015, 08:30:26 AM »
ND is a fine institution and the most well-known "brand" in college sports. If they left the NCAA, the NCAA would be poorer for it.

But the NCAA wouldn't go out of business. And after the furor dies down, the NCAA would be just fine ... until its next mini-catastrophe (often caused by itself).

It's like after Coach and Diane left Cheers. Their absence was felt, especially at first, but Cheers went on just fine without them.

Now *that* is one solid analogy. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2015, 10:50:06 AM »

You're forgetting ... who follows them?  Maybe most schools will follow ND because they don't want to pay players either and ND has the moral authority to lead this charge for the rest of them.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2015, 01:06:06 PM »
Ew. Who would apply?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2015, 01:10:48 PM »
More. Those other schools don't claim the moral and ethical superiority that ND does. They can balance both without telling everyone how pure they are...even though they aren't.
This is it. The long and short of it.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2015, 01:13:52 PM »
Accepted at ND and Michigan.   Chose MU.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brandx

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2015, 01:23:35 PM »
This is all bluster and nothing else.

It's not just the tens of millions of $$$ that they would lose by giving up football - but the effect on donors as well.

The good news is that once ND gives in and does what they said they wouldn't do, we can make fun of them again  8-)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2015, 01:26:03 PM »
You're forgetting ... who follows them?  Maybe most schools will follow ND because they don't want to pay players either and ND has the moral authority to lead this charge for the rest of them.

That certainly might be a consideration if ND leaves and the floodgates open.

However, can you imagine ND and, say, three dozen other institutions leaving the NCAA over this but the others staying behind.

You're a football recruit. You're going to choose between three SEC schools -- all of which are in a superior conference and all of which are offering "pay" -- and ND and maybe another school that isn't offering money.

Hmmm. Talk about a recruiting advantage.

If ND leaves over this, it would make things real interesting, that's for sure.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2015, 03:26:16 PM »

ND has nothing of the sort.  Good lord. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2015, 03:27:12 PM »
Yeesh, this is starting to hit Ners levels supporting Dawson.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2015, 03:27:57 PM »
Heisentroll has bought their crap hook, line and sinker.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2015, 03:31:22 PM »

ND has nothing of the sort.  Good lord.

I think Heisendomer was trying to bait us with that comment.  Surely, even he isn't that naïve.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2015, 07:15:50 PM »
I think Heisendomer was trying to bait us with that comment.  Surely, even he isn't that naïve.

Sorry boys but ND is been the thought leader in college football since they invented the forward pass a 100 years ago.

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2015, 08:47:19 PM »
Sorry boys but ND is been the thought leader in college football since they invented the forward pass a 100 years ago.
The SEC and their media deals beg to differ.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2015, 09:28:34 PM »
The SEC and their media deals beg to differ.

They are not thought leaders, they are just good teams that become irrelevant the second they hit .500.  ND does not.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2015, 09:34:45 PM »
They are not thought leaders, they are just good teams that become irrelevant the second they hit .500.  ND does not.

Ners hacked his account.

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2015, 09:56:14 PM »
On a 'per team' basis you are 100% correct.  The ND brand and subway fan base is never going away. 

However, my comment was more about where the power in today's college sports lies....in revenue and media exposure.  The SEC has done a brilliant job of capitalizing on the dedication of the fan bases to their specific team and the concept that the "South" in SEC is a rallying point in media deals.

When Missouri entered the SEC I immediately saw SEC flags flying and co-branded Mizzou/SEC shirts.  I have yet to see an ND/ACC co-branded shirt.  So while one specific team will loose the spot light the other fan bases vehemently support those that grab it. 

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2015, 11:52:52 PM »
Wouldn't a capitalist seek to make all the money they can over their image and likeness? It seems that the NCAA is a rather communist organization

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2015, 06:59:23 AM »
Wouldn't a capitalist seek to make all the money they can over their image and likeness? It seems that the NCAA is a rather communist organization

Yes!

In his new book, Kentucky coach John Calipari likens the NCAA to the dying Soviet Union and admonishes college sports' governing body for not changing with the times, according to a report.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10760355/kentucky-wildcats-coach-john-calipari-likens-ncaa-dying-soviet-union-new-book

feedback