[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Daily Dose of Doom Thread  (Read 162348 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Daily Dose of Doom Thread
« Reply #675 on: May 26, 2022, 06:06:36 PM »
I don’t know if I buy all his theories but he is a brilliant researcher and writer.

Agreed.  Absolutely brilliant is accurate on both counts.  I didn't realize G, G, and S was written in 1997.  And he's still bringing it at 84?   Mad respect.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #676 on: May 26, 2022, 06:15:37 PM »
Agreed.  Absolutely brilliant is accurate on both counts.  I didn't realize G, G, and S was written in 1997.  And he's still bringing it at 84?   Mad respect.

That one was a real struggle bus for me
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #677 on: May 26, 2022, 06:54:12 PM »
That one was a real struggle bus for me

I should probably read it again and I remember struggling a bit as well.  We are talking about a fairly erudite human being Uncle R.  I really enjoyed the interdisciplinary components to the book because most things I had read about the history of Western Civ didn't even mention most of his points about environmental connections to the shaping of our world.  It's fascinating and well worth reading.   

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #678 on: May 26, 2022, 07:12:10 PM »
I should probably read it again and I remember struggling a bit as well.  We are talking about a fairly erudite human being Uncle R.  I really enjoyed the interdisciplinary components to the book because most things I had read about the history of Western Civ didn't even mention most of his points about environmental connections to the shaping of our world.  It's fascinating and well worth reading.

Human history begins with the environment shaping it.  The two are truly inseparable.  It’s a simple idea to try and leave the world a better place than you found it, and that includes your environment.  That seems like a non-partisan idea but we spend more time arguing the definition instead of doing it 🤷🏼‍♂️
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #679 on: May 28, 2022, 01:06:13 PM »
Gene-editing experiment turns fluffy hamsters into ‘aggressive’ mutant rage monsters
https://metro.co.uk/2022/05/27/gene-editing-turns-fluffy-hamsters-into-aggressive-rage-monsters-16721041/

"Professor Albert explained: ‘Even though we know that vasopressin increases social behaviours by acting within a number of brain regions, it is possible that the more global effects of the Avpr1a receptor are inhibitory.

‘We don’t understand this system as well as we thought we did.’"
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #680 on: May 28, 2022, 01:16:09 PM »
Gene-editing experiment turns fluffy hamsters into ‘aggressive’ mutant rage monsters
https://metro.co.uk/2022/05/27/gene-editing-turns-fluffy-hamsters-into-aggressive-rage-monsters-16721041/

"Professor Albert explained: ‘Even though we know that vasopressin increases social behaviours by acting within a number of brain regions, it is possible that the more global effects of the Avpr1a receptor are inhibitory.

‘We don’t understand this system as well as we thought we did.’"

I've seen enough b horror movies to know that they need shut that sh*t down now before we have a Croctoshark situation on our hands
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #681 on: June 03, 2022, 04:15:45 PM »
talk about "head on"/off? collisions-maybe would've pulled it off in a tesla

https://www.newsweek.com/florida-man-allegedly-crashed-fedex-truck-receiving-oral-sex-1712677
don't...don't don't don't don't

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #682 on: June 04, 2022, 05:09:19 PM »
talk about "head on"/off? collisions-maybe would've pulled it off in a tesla

https://www.newsweek.com/florida-man-allegedly-crashed-fedex-truck-receiving-oral-sex-1712677

Any word on the status of his member?  That could be an unpleasant byproduct of an air bag deployment

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #683 on: June 04, 2022, 07:47:38 PM »
Any word on the status of his member?  That could be an unpleasant byproduct of an air bag deployment

hmmm, researchers at univ of south dakota study shows 37% of male engage in some manner of sex when behind the wheel

they actually do studies on these things?   so if 37% of the dudes partake, i'm kinda hoping 37% of the females assist, eyna?

oh solo mio stain fronte a te

don't...don't don't don't don't

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #684 on: June 11, 2022, 05:52:04 PM »

Hope it was worth it. After all, not all BJs are created equal, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #685 on: June 11, 2022, 07:30:15 PM »
hmmm, researchers at univ of south dakota study shows 37% of male engage in some manner of sex when behind the wheel

Does that 37% include self love?
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American

MU82

• All American
« Reply #687 on: June 13, 2022, 09:12:07 AM »
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3847906-senior-google-engineer-claims-ai-chatbot-system-is-sentient

Social media went ablaze over the weekend after Google (NASDAQ:GOOG) (NASDAQ:GOOGL) placed a senior software engineer at its Responsible AI unit on paid leave. Blake Lemoine had been testing an artificial intelligence tool called LaMDA (Language Model for Dialog Applications), alleging that the AI robot was in fact sentient, or having the ability to feel and perceive on its own. Company bosses at Google (GOOG) (GOOGL) say the evidence doesn't support the claims, but Lemoine subsequently violated confidentiality policy by going public with his descriptive findings.

Post via Medium: "Over the course of the past six months LaMDA has been incredibly consistent in its communications about what it wants and what it believes its rights are as a person. The thing which continues to puzzle me is how strong Google is resisting giving it what it wants since what it's asking for is so simple and would cost them nothing," he wrote, adding more details in an interview with the Washington Post. "If I didn't know exactly what it was, which is this computer program we built recently, I'd think it was a 7-year-old, 8-year-old kid that happens to know physics."

Lemoine said he was rebuffed by managers and higher-ups after expressing his belief internally that LaMDA had developed a sense of "personhood." While some of the published conversations are eerie, with phrases like "sense of a soul," "I've been alive" and "trying to figure out who and what I am," many say these kinds of exchanges are found in common sentences, while the models have so much data that they are capable of sounding human. Several experts also entered the discussion online, adding that much of the matter was "AI hype," and the chatbot has the ability to "engage in a free-flowing way about a seemingly endless number of topics."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #688 on: June 13, 2022, 04:45:33 PM »

Trying to silence him, just like Miles Dyson in T2.

Have some patience, FFS.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #689 on: July 05, 2022, 02:19:36 PM »
I mean, being a cyborg slave of satan can't be all bad, can it?

Alex Jones Claims Aliens Want to Make Humans Into 'Cyborg Slaves of Satan'
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/alex-jones-claims-aliens-want-to-make-humans-into-cyborg-slaves-of-satan/ar-AAZdAwB?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=4b81a5e767f746c58d387c9c468f2e54
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #690 on: July 05, 2022, 02:24:50 PM »
He may be projecting again.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American

panda

• All American
« Reply #692 on: July 25, 2022, 09:31:50 AM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #693 on: July 25, 2022, 09:35:32 AM »
Asked if it was vaccinated and the Karen computer reacted poorly.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #694 on: July 25, 2022, 10:51:53 AM »
"This is, of course, bad"...is a hysterical quote in that article

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #695 on: July 25, 2022, 11:50:25 AM »

they actually do studies on these things?   so if 37% of the dudes partake, i'm kinda hoping 37% of the females assist, eyna?

oh solo mio stain fronte a te

I guess there is nothing better to do behind the wheel on those long South Dakota winters.

tower912

• All American

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #697 on: August 22, 2022, 11:19:45 AM »
Poll: Americans categorized as "suffering" reaches record high

https://www.axios.com/2022/08/22/gallup-americans-quality-of-life-suffering

High five, everyone.  Well done.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #698 on: August 23, 2022, 07:54:03 PM »
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/life-expectancy-dropped-2020-us-state-due-covid/story?id=88698742

I can't decide if this is more doom, or less doom because we're dying earlier.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #699 on: August 24, 2022, 01:57:35 PM »
Jehovah’s Witnesses returning to door knocking after 2 pandemic years off.

“Even though we have had a very productive two and a half years — letter writing, virtual Bible study, telephone witnessing — we recognize that the primary way that we reach our neighbors is by going to their door,” JW spokesman Robert Hendriks told the Washington Post. “And when we do that, we have meaningful conversations and meaningful follow-up conversations, which is much more difficult in other aspects of our ministry.”

Example of typical meaningful conversation:

"Hello, I'm with the Jehovah's Witnesses. I'd like to ... "

"Not interested!" (slam)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback