collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Houston to pass Chicago as third largest city in the USA  (Read 7334 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Houston to pass Chicago as third largest city in the USA
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2015, 11:06:26 PM »
Haha.  OK so the crime doesn't bother you unless you happen to be one of those cultures that lives in the areas afflicted by crime.  That, I am sure is very comforting to the people living in those communities.  I didn't say that there was crime against tourists or anything.  But there are major gang and drug trafficking problems that lead to a lot of crime.  It is a major problem for the city, no matter where you live . 

And Chicago is, statistically, the most segregated city in the US.  So try to justify it all you want, that is the reality.

Actually I'm pretty sure Milwaukee is the most segregated city.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2015, 11:47:10 PM »
Actually I'm pretty sure Milwaukee is the most segregated city.

If you're talking black vs. white, sure.  But there are a lot of other cultures and ethnicities that don't fit into a "black" or "white" bucket... when all are considered, no place can compete with Chicago.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2015, 11:56:33 PM »
Haha.  OK so the crime doesn't bother you unless you happen to be one of those cultures that lives in the areas afflicted by crime.  That, I am sure is very comforting to the people living in those communities.  I didn't say that there was crime against tourists or anything.  But there are major gang and drug trafficking problems that lead to a lot of crime.  It is a major problem for the city, no matter where you live . 

And Chicago is, statistically, the most segregated city in the US.  So try to justify it all you want, that is the reality.

But this is my point segregated is to arbitrary it doesn't take into account why, only that there aren't many races in certain parts. That would only work in the areas that aren't traditionally built for cultures to feel at home.  Like is chicago segregated because they're forcing a bunch of puerto ricans to live in humboldt park? Nope it looks segregated because all the puerto rican families wanted to live around each other in an area that felt like home. Is it Chicago's fault Ukranians went to Ukranian village? No they decided to live around each other. Yes some were actually segregated by white flight but most of it happened because people wanted to live by each other's cultures.  Other cities are similar but don't get that rep, Boston for example, does anyone say it's segregated because the north end is all italian and southy is all irish? No because the italians chose to live by each other and the irish did the same. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2015, 12:01:41 AM »
I lived in Houston from 1972-76, the last three years as a "newlywed". I'm sure much has changed in 40 years but some things apparently haven't - 6 months of hot, humid weather, a lack of public transportation, no zoning, affordable (and nice) housing, etc.. I liked the weather but the humidity was a bit much for my wife. Also lived in Dallas for a short time and much preferred Houston. Presently have a daughter, son in law and baby granddaughter in Austin and it's my favorite southwestern Texascity.

Bernstein

I agree that Austin is great. But the best city in the Southwest: Santa Fe.

Death on call

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2015, 08:12:54 AM »
But this is my point segregated is to arbitrary it doesn't take into account why, only that there aren't many races in certain parts. That would only work in the areas that aren't traditionally built for cultures to feel at home.  Like is chicago segregated because they're forcing a bunch of puerto ricans to live in humboldt park? Nope it looks segregated because all the puerto rican families wanted to live around each other in an area that felt like home. Is it Chicago's fault Ukranians went to Ukranian village? No they decided to live around each other. Yes some were actually segregated by white flight but most of it happened because people wanted to live by each other's cultures.  Other cities are similar but don't get that rep, Boston for example, does anyone say it's segregated because the north end is all italian and southy is all irish? No because the italians chose to live by each other and the irish did the same.

Hahaha.  No, Boston has an entirely different reputation.  Haha, and funny you chose Boston.  Really good example.

And I know when segregation comes up, my first thought is the Irish, Italians and Ukrainians.  Maybe you should do a little more research on the really obvious segregation that exists before you excuse it all away.

And since it isn't really a problem in chicago, that must mean that the south side schools are just as good as the ones on the north side, right?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2015, 08:17:09 AM »
Presently have a daughter, son in law and baby granddaughter in Austin and it's my favorite southwestern city.

Don't tell anyone from Texas that you consider Texas as part of the Southwest.

As far as Texicans are concerned, Texas isn't part of the South, West, Southwest, Mid-Southwest, South Central, West South Central... Texas is part of Texas.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2015, 09:28:23 AM »
Bernstein

I agree that Austin is great. But the best city in the Southwest: Santa Fe.

Should have said my favorite among the cities I know in the southwest. That would include All of Texas and Arizona. I don't know Santa Fe, but have a friend who loves it and plans to retire there.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2015, 09:37:50 AM »
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/05/04/chicago-is-the-most-segregated-city-in-america-analysis/

This link in the article is actually quite interesting.

http://demographics.coopercenter.org/DotMap/

Also interesting to see an exclave of deep blue sandwiched between oceans of green and orange (in Milwaukee)... wait a second.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 11:28:27 AM by Benny B »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2015, 09:44:30 AM »
This thread started out about Houston, then the Chicago folks appeared to defend Chicago and rip on the 'new' cities out west and then to defend Chicago against all-comers. Perhaps a bit of Chicago inferiority complex at work?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2015, 10:06:06 AM »
Hahaha.  No, Boston has an entirely different reputation.  Haha, and funny you chose Boston.  Really good example.

And I know when segregation comes up, my first thought is the Irish, Italians and Ukrainians.  Maybe you should do a little more research on the really obvious segregation that exists before you excuse it all away.

And since it isn't really a problem in chicago, that must mean that the south side schools are just as good as the ones on the north side, right?

Why's it funny I chose Boston does is have that same reputation and I'm unaware?

Yes I said certain areas like Edgewood Austin and more actually had real segregation. I'm not excusing it al away. I'm saying that chicagos blown wayyyy up in terms of segregation because here more so than elsewhere people choose to live around their cultures.

Now the education system is an entirely different talking point. That is segregated, however the big flagships are magnets anyways. Yes it's pretty BS that they're almost all north side schools but some of the best  Young, LP, Lane Tech, Peyton, they don't have a neighborhood requirement. But with schools I'll give you is not over inflated and is an element of segregation that is totally on the city.
Maigh Eo for Sam

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2015, 11:08:50 AM »
Maybe try typing boston reputation into google and see what comes up. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »
Maybe try typing boston reputation into google and see what comes up.

So they're bad drivers and mean? That's what came up when I typed in Boston reputation. 

All I'm saying is if Chicago suddenly was some magical blended up mess of cultures it wouldn't be cool to go to taylor street for italian, humboldt puerto rican or pilsen for mexican, China town wouldn't be a thing, neither would little korea, and so many more. Yes Lakeview, LP, Streeterville etc could use some minorities and austin, garfield park Englewood could use some majorities. But as far as the cultural neighborhoods go that "segregation" that everybody points to as being so big in Chicago, is the same thing that gives Chicago a unique spirit. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2015, 12:52:39 PM »
So they're bad drivers and mean? That's what came up when I typed in Boston reputation. 

All I'm saying is if Chicago suddenly was some magical blended up mess of cultures it wouldn't be cool to go to taylor street for italian, humboldt puerto rican or pilsen for mexican, China town wouldn't be a thing, neither would little korea, and so many more. Yes Lakeview, LP, Streeterville etc could use some minorities and austin, garfield park Englewood could use some majorities. But as far as the cultural neighborhoods go that "segregation" that everybody points to as being so big in Chicago, is the same thing that gives Chicago a unique spirit.
That's not the segregation they're referring to. Yikes.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2015, 12:53:39 PM »
I get what Bagpiping is saying.  My initial post on the matter was more scoffing at what people traditionally rip on Chicago for, and how it doesn't really negatively impact life for most residents.  I love when people from the coasts who have never been to Chicago think that its 80s Beirut and exceedingly dangerous. 

That being said, there is the triumvirate of BS I fully acknowledge:  the weather blows 75% of the time; the taxes are outrageous; and city politics are a mess that will likely never truly be fixed.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2015, 01:02:53 PM »

Well I just googled it myself, and on the top half of the first page of results there was something about boston being the most racist city in the nation.  But maybe I am making that up. 

Chicago also had some of the most extensive deed restrictions in the nation, mostly to keep African Americans out of certain parts of town.  That to me, seems more like segregation than wow look at those cute little ethnic neighborhoods. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2015, 01:03:27 PM »
That's not the segregation they're referring to. Yikes.

I know.  Must be willful ignorance to even plead that case. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2015, 01:23:08 PM »
Well I just googled it myself, and on the top half of the first page of results there was something about boston being the most racist city in the nation.  But maybe I am making that up. 

Chicago also had some of the most extensive deed restrictions in the nation, mostly to keep African Americans out of certain parts of town.  That to me, seems more like segregation than wow look at those cute little ethnic neighborhoods.

And I'm not arguing the black vs white point. But referring to what what Benny said way up there about how Chicago segregates more than that and I'm arguing that point. Yes chicagos very segregated against African Americans, but with regards to beyond that it's just as much the cultures wanting to live together.
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2015, 01:33:01 PM »
At the same time you have the segregated areas of the city, you also have places like Rogers Park which I grew up in. Along with Albany park, Logan Square, etc. Let's not pretend like Chicago is split into the northside is white and the South and Westside is black. I'm not going to deny that it can be segregated but there are some gross over exaggurations.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2015, 01:42:11 PM »
At the same time you have the segregated areas of the city, you also have places like Rogers Park which I grew up in. Along with Albany park, Logan Square, etc. Let's not pretend like Chicago is split into the northside is white and the South and Westside is black. I'm not going to deny that it can be segregated but there are some gross over exaggurations.

Ok, well, statistically speaking, it is the most segregated city in the nation.  So, you can deny it if you want, but that is what the demographics are. 

It is a great city.  There are very many world class things about Chicago.  I guess I just don't understand all the people that need to make it some sort of Utopia.  It clearly isn't.  It is a big city.  Big cities have problems inherent to them.  You take the good with the bad, but all the greatest city in the world stuff goes too far for me.  It is a great city.  There are very many other great cities.  Enjoy them for what they are, not everything needs to be the best in the world, and if you think it is best in the world, that is fine, but it is also ok if someone else thinks another city is better. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2015, 02:23:22 PM »
Ok, well, statistically speaking, it is the most segregated city in the nation. So, you can deny it if you want, but that is what the demographics are. 

It is a great city.  There are very many world class things about Chicago.  I guess I just don't understand all the people that need to make it some sort of Utopia.  It clearly isn't.  It is a big city.  Big cities have problems inherent to them.  You take the good with the bad, but all the greatest city in the world stuff goes too far for me.  It is a great city.  There are very many other great cities.  Enjoy them for what they are, not everything needs to be the best in the world, and if you think it is best in the world, that is fine, but it is also ok if someone else thinks another city is better.

The bolded statement is why we're arguing.  What is Chicago going to do? Force Chinese people and Korean people away from Chinatown and little Korea? Force Puerto Ricans and Mexicans away from humboldt and Pilsen? Those stats are built on a base line that doesn't work. White people have been moving into humboldt park and the Puerto Rican community is livid about it. Yes black vs white it is segregated and has problems that should be fixed but when you account for the fact that certain areas lack diversity out of choice well then it's not as segregated as people make it out to be.

Also Chicago is far from the greatest city in the world. Yes a great city but not everyone's going to be a fan.  Being the most segregated in the country is a statistic thrown around by people who don't understand Chicago though.   
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 02:37:39 PM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2015, 03:05:43 PM »
The bolded statement is why we're arguing.  What is Chicago going to do? Force Chinese people and Korean people away from Chinatown and little Korea? Force Puerto Ricans and Mexicans away from humboldt and Pilsen? Those stats are built on a base line that doesn't work. White people have been moving into humboldt park and the Puerto Rican community is livid about it. Yes black vs white it is segregated and has problems that should be fixed but when you account for the fact that certain areas lack diversity out of choice well then it's not as segregated as people make it out to be.

Also Chicago is far from the greatest city in the world. Yes a great city but not everyone's going to be a fan.  Being the most segregated in the country is a statistic thrown around by people who don't understand Chicago though.

Give it whatever connotation you want, but when a higher percentage of ethnicities and races live in areas containing low numbers of other ethnicities/races, that's segregation.  Whether it's by choice or not, it's still segregation.  Whether there were laws that set the stage decades ago, it's still segregation.  Whether the Irish simply want to live closer to the hospital with the maternity ward that serves Guinness and Jameson or it's because their being oppressed by the WASPs, it's still segregation.

Nate Silver agrees... Chicago is the most segregated city in the country.  Period.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2015, 03:11:36 PM »
Give it whatever connotation you want, but when a higher percentage of ethnicities and races live in areas containing low numbers of other ethnicities/races, that's segregation.  Whether it's by choice or not, it's still segregation.  Whether there were laws that set the stage decades ago, it's still segregation.  Whether the Irish simply want to live closer to the hospital with the maternity ward that serves Guinness and Jameson or it's because their being oppressed by the WASPs, it's still segregation.

Nate Silver agrees... Chicago is the most segregated city in the country.  Period.

Ok that's fine, but then it can't be used as a put down to Chicago. If a bunch of Irish people want to live by a hospital that serves jameson and guiness then that form of "segregation" isn't a problem and shouldn't be able to be used a put down for that neighborhood. Also please point me to this hospital I might brake my leg just to go there.
Maigh Eo for Sam

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2015, 03:21:27 PM »

I think I understand Chicago just fine, thanks.  And I seem to have a better handle on its history than some.  Whatever the reason, the city is segregated.  Whether it is ethnicities doing it by choice, or by regulation, for economic reasons, it is what it is.  Other cities have the same ethnic neighborhoods, but still, Chicago is at the top for some reason.  I don't think it is because people want to slander Chicago. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 03:31:16 PM by buckchuckler »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2015, 04:59:08 PM »
Ok that's fine, but then it can't be used as a put down to Chicago. If a bunch of Irish people want to live by a hospital that serves jameson and guiness then that form of "segregation" isn't a problem and shouldn't be able to be used a put down for that neighborhood. Also please point me to this hospital I might brake my leg just to go there.

To hell if you think I'm telling you... that's my beer and whisky, dammit.