'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Luke Fischer  (Read 65663 times)

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Luke Fischer
« Reply #225 on: September 11, 2015, 01:38:34 PM »
FT%/FTR are about 5% important. It matters in close games when the other 95% are basically equal between teams.

Back to Luke Fischer, here's a question. Last year, he was slightly above average offensively (ORtg of 105) and slightly below average as an on-court contributor (19%). Would you rather see him develop this year as an improved offensive player with less on-court contributions (Ortg of 115, usage of 19%), or would you rather see him stay as a slightly above average player with increased on-court contribution (Ortg of 105, usage of 23-25%)?

More efficient, or a bigger role? You can only pick one.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #226 on: September 11, 2015, 02:17:17 PM »
FT%/FTR are about 5% important. It matters in close games when the other 95% are basically equal between teams.

Back to Luke Fischer, here's a question. Last year, he was slightly above average offensively (ORtg of 105) and slightly below average as an on-court contributor (19%). Would you rather see him develop this year as an improved offensive player with less on-court contributions (Ortg of 115, usage of 19%), or would you rather see him stay as a slightly above average player with increased on-court contribution (Ortg of 105, usage of 23-25%)?

Good to try to get this back on track. For me, I would like to see Luke be more efficient. Being more efficient opens up the game for other players, as it puts more pressure on the opponent's interior defense.

That said, I'll be surprised if both efficiency and usage don't improve, at least marginally. He's over his injury, he has Henry to take a lot of attention away from him, and he has guards that seem better both shooting and getting the ball into him.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #227 on: September 11, 2015, 02:53:58 PM »
We don't need him to have higher usage. We have more options this season. Definitely would rather see his efficiency improve
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #228 on: September 11, 2015, 03:38:26 PM »
The difference between 70% and 58% is more than 1pt man! Are you kidding me?

It is as much as a 5-9 pts difference. If you are not hitting those FT's it get mental and effects your aggressively overall in guys not wanting to go to the line.

If we're going to call out dumb comments, how did this little gem not get any response? 9 points difference? NINE points? Are you on crack? In order to have a NINE point disparity based on a 12% point difference in free throw percentage in a single game, the team would have to shoot 75 free throws in that game. That's...

...SEVENTY-FIVE FREE THROWS IN ONE GAME!!!

So yeah...before you make any more stupid statements, how about checking your math at the door? Seriously...75 FTAs? For the record, the most COMBINED free throws by both teams in a single game is 105. That was between Morehead State and Iowa in 1953.

Nine point swing...dude, please. The highest FTA total we had in a game last year was 34 against Georgia Tech. A 12% conversion difference in that game would have amounted to 4 points. So even in our maximum FTA game last year, we didn't reach the 5 point minimum difference you claim, nor come remotely close to the 9 point maximum difference you list.

On an average night, 12% points will make a difference of 0-4 points. Rarely will it ever matter more than that, and never under any circumstance will it 12% points ever amount to 9 points on the scoreboard. Never.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #229 on: September 11, 2015, 03:50:28 PM »
Let's keep arguing this all year maybe it'll make the meme tournament next summer!
Maigh Eo for Sam

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #230 on: September 11, 2015, 03:55:49 PM »
We don't need him to have higher usage. We have more options this season. Definitely would rather see his efficiency improve

Playing devil's advocate here, but 55% of the possessions from last year either graduated or left.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #231 on: September 11, 2015, 04:08:20 PM »
Playing devil's advocate here, but 55% of the possessions from last year either graduated or left.

I agree and that's why I've been down on this team all summer. Maybe it was the Italy trip, maybe it's fall blue and gold glasses but I'm becoming more optimistic. I feel like we have upgrades at most positions...at least on the offensive side.

PG: Carter > Derrick
SG: SO Duane > FR Duane
SF:  SO Sandy <  Carlino
PF: Henry > Juan
C:  JR Luke > SO Luke
6th Man: JR JJJ > SO JJJ

Defensively, I think this team is slightly worse. But I think it will be much better offensively abd overall. Ergo, I want more offensive efficiency rather than usage from Luke
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brandx

« Reply #232 on: September 11, 2015, 04:40:37 PM »
I agree and that's why I've been down on this team all summer. Maybe it was the Italy trip, maybe it's fall blue and gold glasses but I'm becoming more optimistic. I feel like we have upgrades at most positions...at least on the offensive side.

PG: Carter > Derrick
SG: SO Duane > FR Duane
SF:  SO Sandy <  Carlino
PF: Henry > Juan
C:  JR Luke > SO Luke
6th Man: JR JJJ > SO JJJ

Defensively, I think this team is slightly worse. But I think it will be much better offensively abd overall. Ergo, I want more offensive efficiency rather than usage from Luke

That's the same way I looked at it.

Plus the bench should be better.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #233 on: September 11, 2015, 07:55:58 PM »

Yes, but Carlino was the only higher (medium-high, I'd call it) usage guy and we add someone in Ellenson who I project to exceed Carlino in usage this year.

Cohen at 15.6 as a freshman figures to increase, albeit only a bit (I'd go with 17.2% to 18.x%)... and I don't care where the PG minutes go - they shouldn't be lower than Derrick's poss and certainly not his %Shots.

Not ready to answer your question today, but thinking on the go here re: a potential starting lineup...

Traci - 18%
Duane - 25%
Sandy - 18%
Henry - 28%
...would bring you to 89% usage before Luke, implying 11%.

With Duane and Henry figuring to get a lot of minutes and be high-usage players, the need for Luke to be up there is smaller... I think there are games and matchups where we should be going to him early and often.. a 30% game here and there may be reasonable to desire... but, the "need"... 18 to 22% may be the range that I'm OK with for him when on the court with 'the regulars' whoever they are... assuming two of them are Duane and Henry
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #234 on: September 11, 2015, 11:16:47 PM »
You're all wrong. "Nothing happens" isn't true - in fact, a rebound is credited (to the shooting team).

Dead-ball rebound.

Please see A.R. 2. of the Statistucians' Manual.

OK, fair enough.  I was going for team or individual rebounds since it is a dead ball.  I have no idea why the rule book counts that particular play as a dead ball rebound since the team doesn't gain possession of it and the opposing team still has the ball (for the 2nd or 3rd free throw), but that is the rule.

Thank you for the clarification.   

I would note, dead ball rebounds are not counted by the NCAA in statistical rankings as part of the team rrebounding number.  (Section 3, Article 1, subsection d)

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #235 on: September 11, 2015, 11:53:56 PM »
OK, fair enough.  I was going for team or individual rebounds since it is a dead ball.  I have no idea why the rule book counts that particular play as a dead ball rebound since the team doesn't gain possession of it and the opposing team still has the ball (for the 2nd or 3rd free throw), but that is the rule.

Thank you for the clarification.   

I would note, dead ball rebounds are not counted by the NCAA in statistical rankings as part of the team rrebounding number.  (Section 3, Article 1, subsection d)

^^^^^
"I was wrong" in chicos land
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

classof2k

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #236 on: September 12, 2015, 01:00:14 AM »
Is the season here yet?

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #237 on: September 12, 2015, 08:46:30 AM »

Can he be the same?  That's where I see him.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #238 on: September 12, 2015, 08:54:07 AM »
Real question: What do folks think Luke's rebounding percentages can be this year?

With the broken wing a year ago, he was at 6.8% and 12.8%. In limited time at I4, he was 11.1% and 12.6%.

I'd *like* to see OR% at 9%+ and DR% approaching 17%+... a DR% of less than 15% would not be pleasing.

I'll say OR at 9%, but DR only increases to 14%.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #239 on: September 12, 2015, 09:04:36 AM »

More efficient, no question whatsoever. Because if he improves his efficiency and the offense still only goes through him as a third or fourth option, that likely means options 1 and 2 are better (presumably Duane and Henry).

Granted, that doesn't automatically mean they will be higher than 115 ORtg, but I'd happily take Duane with 27% usage and an ORtg of 108, Henry with 24% usage and an ORtg of around 105, and Luke at 115 as the third highest in terms of usage.

Figure Sandy and Traci combining for roughly 30% usage. I think that's a pretty good mix.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #240 on: September 12, 2015, 09:15:59 AM »

More efficient, no question for me. I hope he's around the 115 you cited. Duane and Hank should dominate usage (I'm hoping 2012 DJO/Crowder levels at minimum). Luke should be the lifeline when defenses start breaking down. I think he can and will thrive in a role like that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #241 on: September 12, 2015, 10:03:08 AM »
^^^^^
"I was wrong" in chicos land

I said thank you for the clarification.   I've admitted to being wrong many many many times here.    Hoping you can post that police report soon that we've all been waiting for.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #242 on: September 12, 2015, 07:47:25 PM »
If we're going to call out dumb comments, how did this little gem not get any response? 9 points difference? NINE points? Are you on crack? In order to have a NINE point disparity based on a 12% point difference in free throw percentage in a single game, the team would have to shoot 75 free throws in that game. That's...

...SEVENTY-FIVE FREE THROWS IN ONE GAME!!!

So yeah...before you make any more stupid statements, how about checking your math at the door? Seriously...75 FTAs? For the record, the most COMBINED free throws by both teams in a single game is 105. That was between Morehead State and Iowa in 1953.

Nine point swing...dude, please. The highest FTA total we had in a game last year was 34 against Georgia Tech. A 12% conversion difference in that game would have amounted to 4 points. So even in our maximum FTA game last year, we didn't reach the 5 point minimum difference you claim, nor come remotely close to the 9 point maximum difference you list.

On an average night, 12% points will make a difference of 0-4 points. Rarely will it ever matter more than that, and never under any circumstance will it 12% points ever amount to 9 points on the scoreboard. Never.

Have you seen this guy/girl's prior posts? Follows a similar pattern of logic. Been on my ignore list for a while as I just couldnt deal with it anymore

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #243 on: September 12, 2015, 09:41:01 PM »
Have you seen this guy/girl's prior posts? Follows a similar pattern of logic. Been on my ignore list for a while as I just couldnt deal with it anymore

I have, but sometimes I just enjoy deconstructing ridiculousness  ;D