[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: OT - Does this bother anyone else  (Read 6877 times)

AlumKCof93

• All American
OT - Does this bother anyone else
« on: November 21, 2007, 11:34:05 AM »
For years, people have complained about the East Coast bias exhibited by ESPN. Despite this criticism, ESPN continues to act as though the only news that matters is the news that involves sports in the East Coast.
The latest example was what ESPN had on its breaking news on ESPN news.  On Monday, its breaking news was that ARod was named MVP.  Fine, that is bigger news than the notable trade of Garland to the Angels for O. Cabrera.  But yesterday, the breaking news was the Mota for Estrada trade despite the fact the NL MVP was named earlier in the day.
Does this only bother me?
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

romey

• All American
Re: OT - Does this bother anyone else
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 11:56:40 AM »
But the NL MVP was from an east coast team (Philly)

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 12:03:51 PM »
Right, but anything that happens in NY trumps all others, including Philadelphia.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 12:08:38 PM »
I'm really surprised ESPN hasn't broken into two regions - ESPN East out of Bristol and ESPN West out of Los Angeles. 

The west coast really does get crapped on.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 12:09:57 PM »
Question: Were you watching ESPN News at the time the Garland-Cabrera trade story broke (pretty early in the day on Monday)? I suspect it was treated as breaking new at that time. Breaking news is only breaking news at the time it breaks.

So I guess my question is did you watch ESPN News all of the last two days to know that they DID NOT report those other stories as "Breaking news" at the time teh stories actually broke? 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 12:13:59 PM by NavinRJohnson »

brewpaul

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 12:16:24 PM »
On top of that,  A Rod won the AL MVP award in one of the biggest blowouts in history.  That is ridiculous!  I believe he deserved the award since baseball has become a home run league, but to completely discredit Magglio Ordonez is simply ridiculous.  I was looking at the production numbers and they are shockingly close.  I give it to A Rod for making the playoffs and hitting more dingers but in a historic blowout ...Come on ::)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 03:29:03 PM »
I'm really surprised ESPN hasn't broken into two regions - ESPN East out of Bristol and ESPN West out of Los Angeles. 

This was going to happen about 10 years ago and it got squashed at the last minute.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 03:37:57 PM »

This was going to happen about 10 years ago and it got squashed at the last minute.

Then you'd have the midwest wanting one.. and then the south.. alaska would feel shafted... then florida and hawaii...

kinda like why the NFL decided against giving rockford a football team.. didn't want chicago to be jealous.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 04:15:48 PM »
Give Rollins respect - he called it in the beginning of the season - Phillies would win their division and they did it.

He is also the first guy hit 30-30-30-20 in a season . The guy is 5'8" too.
30 HR
30 Steals
30 Doubles
20 Triples
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 05:00:16 PM »
I think David Wright had a better season than Jimmy Rollins.  70 points higher in OBP and a better slugging percentage to boot.  If the Mets bullpen doesn't implode late in the year (something Wright had nothing to do with), you probably have a different MVP.  I think the voters penalized Wright for playing on a team that suffered an epic collapse that wasn't his fault.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 07:13:00 PM »
Phillies had no pitching - their ace was Jamie Moyer
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 04:20:59 PM »
I think David Wright had a better season than Jimmy Rollins.  70 points higher in OBP and a better slugging percentage to boot.  If the Mets bullpen doesn't implode late in the year (something Wright had nothing to do with), you probably have a different MVP.  I think the voters penalized Wright for playing on a team that suffered an epic collapse that wasn't his fault.

David Wright made something like 21 errors. He's a butcher at third base.

tomcrean4pres

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 03:16:09 PM »
jimmy rollins deserved it over David Wright hands down
***Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid. ***

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 04:17:56 PM »
Rollins wasn't even the best shortstop in his own league.  Hanley Ramirez was far and away better and put up nearly equal numbers with 70 less plate appearances.

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 08:06:34 PM »
Rollins wasn't even the best shortstop in his own league.  Hanley Ramirez was far and away better and put up nearly equal numbers with 70 less plate appearances.

Isn't that funny how it works...  MVP is supposed to be a reward for an individual, yet if your teammates suck, you're not going to win the award.  There's no set rule for the word "valuable".  The bigger sham was Hanley not winning the Silver Slugger award -- he was a much better hitter than any other NL SS.  (EDIT:  Every year something in the MVP balloting makes me laugh.  In 2006, I think one of the White Sox beat writers put AJ Pierzynski in the top ten for MVP voting.  I'm a Sox fan and I have no issues saying Pierzynski was not and has never been one of the ten best players in the league.  Last year it was Morneau getting the MVP, and this year I see that Eric Byrnes and his .813 OPS finished 11th in MVP voting.  What a crock.)

Whatever...  I find many of the awards to be useless.  The Gold Glove has become a joke.  Adam Everett is the best defensive shortstop in the league and the best since -- Ozzie Smith, perhaps?  My knowledge of baseball-history is rather weak -- and I don't think he's ever won the award (I understand he was hurt this year, BTW).  The funniest Gold Gloves have to be Jeter winning it as early as two seasons ago (IIRC) and Raffy Palmiero taking it home one year when he played about 80 games at first base.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 08:10:05 PM by CWSKeith »

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 10:09:26 PM »
Yeah, if they renamed the MVP award "The award for the most valuable player/compelling story on a team that made the playoffs" I guess wouldn't have much of a problem with it.  I can't believe how much the 20-20-20-20 thing got written about either.

As far as Byrnes goes, I'm surprised his perma-dirty uniform and ridiculous mop didn't garner more of the votes from the pro-Eckstein wing of the BBWAA.

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 11:53:15 PM »
Yeah, if they renamed the MVP award "The award for the most valuable player/compelling story on a team that made the playoffs" I guess wouldn't have much of a problem with it.  I can't believe how much the 20-20-20-20 thing got written about either.

That's so funny but true.  Curtis Granderson put up the same 20-20-20-20, and it didn't get nearly as much pub as Rollins did.  In fact, Granderson had a better offensive season than Rollins did (according to OPS+) and played an equally demanding defensive position, yet where did Granderson end up in voting?  Tenth.  Obviously some of that has to do with the differences in leagues, and I'm not complaining about A-Rod winning the MVP -- the writers got that one right -- but I love how the BBWAA are always picking-and-choosing. 

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2007, 03:44:24 PM »
kinda like why the NFL decided against giving rockford a football team.. didn't want chicago to be jealous.

Hey I'm from Rockford!  I can't imagine NFL football ever being played there.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2007, 04:42:32 PM »

you are correct.....Rollins had quite at year, but an MVP year? 

http://www.firejoemorgan.com/2007/11/thanksgiving-more-like-nothanksgiving.html