[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Fan dies at baseball game  (Read 4474 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Fan dies at baseball game
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2015, 08:26:28 AM »
My apologies, you are correct. 

How's my math

2,430 games per year.  48 foul balls per game that reach the stands.  116K foul balls that get into the stands each year.  Average attendance at a MLB game 30K.  Number of games an average fan attends per year...2.3.

Chances of being hit by a foul ball.......

I guess you don't understand my point.  To me this isn't an issue of probability.  This year we have seen at least three serious injuries due to either a ball or bat going into the stands.  (Boston, Milwaukee, Chicago...)  In no other major sporting event do we see such injuries as a normal course of game action with the possible exception of NASCAR, which has done everything possible to fence in its tracks.

If extending the nets further down the stands prevents these serious injuries, it is an absolute no brainer IMO.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2015, 09:46:20 AM »

I guess you don't understand my point.  To me this isn't an issue of probability.  This year we have seen at least three serious injuries due to either a ball or bat going into the stands.  (Boston, Milwaukee, Chicago...)  In no other major sporting event do we see such injuries as a normal course of game action with the possible exception of NASCAR, which has done everything possible to fence in its tracks.

If extending the nets further down the stands prevents these serious injuries, it is an absolute no brainer IMO.

Agreed.  If you can prevent serious injury (heck, even minor injury) then why the heck not, no matter how rare the occurrence may be?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2015, 10:04:22 AM »
Agreed.  If you can prevent serious injury (heck, even minor injury) then why the heck not, no matter how rare the occurrence may be?
BECAUSE IT WILL TURN US ALL INTO hairy wet cats!!!

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2015, 10:07:32 AM »

Probably because a good chunk (probably the majority) of your paying customers don't want a net interfering with their view of the game and their ability to interact with players (like autographs before the game). 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2015, 10:11:56 AM »
Probably because a good chunk (probably the majority) of your paying customers don't want a net interfering with their view of the game and their ability to interact with players (like autographs before the game).

I understand this is probably the reasoning, but I'm guessing most people who have sat behind the net behind home plate have not had an issue with the game viewing experience.  I don't think it would make viewing the game any worse.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2015, 10:12:50 AM »

That's not a good enough reason IMO.  Besides I am not talking foul pole to foul pole.  Maybe only to the dugouts.  Maybe beyond. 

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2015, 11:30:23 AM »
I understand this is probably the reasoning, but I'm guessing most people who have sat behind the net behind home plate have not had an issue with the game viewing experience.  I don't think it would make viewing the game any worse.

I have sat behind the net and I do not like it and purposely avoid those seats when I go to ballgames.  It's a matter of preference, I suppose.

The nets are coming, one successful lawsuit is all it will take.  As a baseball fan, I will not decrease attendance because of a net, but I will enjoy myself a little less.  I suspect MLB doesn't care as long as I am there.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2015, 12:03:36 AM »

It does matter how rare it is....that's ENTIRELY the point.  Why don't you wear a helmet when you drive your car?  It would help prevent serious injury.   I'm being dead serious.  Why don't you?  Do you make your son when he is driving?  Heck, even minor injury could be prevented and we aren't even talking about a major expense on your part.

You can do this exercise forever on just abou anything, except that in the baseball example it has real costs in both $$, experience, playing outcomes (catching foul balls), etc.   

With everything, there is a line.  Otherwise you would wear that helmet.  You would wrap your kids in bubblewrap.  You would not leave the house.  So on and so forth.