collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Is ESPN In Trouble (cord-cutter)  (Read 73521 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Is ESPN In Trouble (cord-cutter)
« Reply #325 on: August 08, 2019, 09:34:55 PM »
  take's more than one to tango eighty-something...maintain man...maintain. but ya gotta thank 'strap for brown nosin it for ya

I accept your apology.

I've been trying to keep this thread on subject.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #326 on: August 09, 2019, 10:22:51 AM »
What do you think about ABBV here MU82?  I'm seriously considering nibbling a little, despite the Humira cliff in 2023.  Yield is close to 6.7%, and with their dividend growth rate the YOC should be north of 8% in three years.

Even factoring in zero capital appreciation over that time span, the dividend is tempting.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #327 on: August 09, 2019, 12:24:09 PM »
What do you think about ABBV here MU82?  I'm seriously considering nibbling a little, despite the Humira cliff in 2023.  Yield is close to 6.7%, and with their dividend growth rate the YOC should be north of 8% in three years.

Even factoring in zero capital appreciation over that time span, the dividend is tempting.

Let me start with my standard caveat: Although I do write extensively about stocks, I do not pretend to be an "expert." Because of this, and because I don't want to steer my fellow investors wrong, I generally am uncomfortable at making specific recommendations.

Now, you asked a question, and I'll answer it concisely ...

I do own ABBV myself, and I also selected it last year for the public portfolio I manage. As you said, its yield is incredibly attractive, although one of the sites I trust pretty well, Simply Safe Dividends, gives it only a 50 (on a 1-100 scale) for "dividend safety."

The biggest problem with ABBV is that by far its biggest cash cow, Humira, is losing market share to similar drugs. So far, its pipeline has not produced anything close as a money-maker. Add in the unsettled political climate -- one thing politicians on both sides of the aisle seem to agree on is that drug prices need to be brought down somehow -- and one might argue that it isn't the greatest time to buy a pill company.

I bought my stake at a much lower price point, and I'm cautiously holding right now. If I get a real sense that the dividend is in danger of being cut, I will sell. As you say, it has been growing its dividend like a weed, and so far its free cash flow has covered the dividend easily, so I'm hopeful that point won't come.

Lately, it seems every bit of bad news hits ABBV harder than most, price-wise. Only you can decide if those dips represent good buying opportunities for you.

I wish you good fortune.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #328 on: August 10, 2019, 11:10:52 AM »
The guy who stabbed 6 people out of hate?  Yup.   Just no one else tried to politicize it in a thread about ESPN.

No one is politicizing it....thoughts and prayers.  When I worked for DIS, they put my family up in Garden Grove...it is where many employees are put up until they find lodging.  DIS may need to find another location.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #329 on: August 10, 2019, 03:03:59 PM »
No one is politicizing it....thoughts and prayers.  When I worked for DIS, they put my family up in Garden Grove...it is where many employees are put up until they find lodging.  DIS may need to find another location.

This stretch rivals some of Herman’s recruiting updates.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #330 on: August 20, 2019, 12:36:05 AM »
Calling Heise

Sorry ... was too busy counting my Disney profits

82/Chico - DIS is now a buy.  They get it.  Defending the old world is over.  DIS is a tremendous producer of content and now that they got out of the business of supporting cable, they can see their value really go up.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #333 on: August 24, 2019, 09:43:13 AM »
Fun day for Mr. Market yesterday!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #334 on: August 24, 2019, 09:43:52 AM »
Fun day for Mr. Market yesterday!

Political.  Please stop
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #335 on: August 24, 2019, 10:23:30 AM »