[Today at 09:41:55 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by cheebs09
[Today at 09:36:47 AM]

Pep Band/Cheerleaders by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:22:48 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Bob "Big Daddy" Wild
[Today at 08:40:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8336967 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Recruiting as of 2/1/18
« Reply #12150 on: February 17, 2018, 12:35:02 PM »

Next season the plan is to run Howard at the point. Though if Big Daddy is to be believed (and I have no reason to think otherwise) the goal is a top tier grad transfer PG. Personally, I would like a pass first, defensive stopper to compliment Howard in the backcourt.

Like Derrick Wilson??

Sorry, it was my turn this week to carry on the Ners legacy

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12151 on: February 17, 2018, 12:38:30 PM »
I would love to have the next Derrick Wilson as a back up on next year's team.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12152 on: February 17, 2018, 01:01:20 PM »
Top recruits do sometimes commit to lower programs. It's not common, but using ESPN's top-100...

• 2007 - #32 Herb Pope New Mexico State, later transferred to Seton Hall.
  • 2008 - #13 Luke Babbitt Nevada, played 2 years then declared for the NBA Draft.
  • 2010 - #17 Ray McCallum Detroit, committed to play for his dad.
  • 2010 - #24 Tony Mitchell North Texas, stayed close to home & ended up playing for former MU assistant Tony Benford.
  • 2010 - #33 Trey Zeigler Central Michigan, played 2 years for his dad, transferred to Pitt and TCU after dad was fired.
  • 2012 - #19 Danuel House Houston, committed to the program when in C-USA, later transferred to TAMU.
  • 2013 - #28 Erik Mika BYU, played one year, went on a 2-year mission, played a second year, declared for the draft.
It doesn't happen often, but sometimes players do stay home. Whether to play for family or just to be close to them, it does happen. It's interesting that it really hasn't happened much the past 5 years. Be interesting to see where Baldwin Jr. ends up.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #12153 on: February 17, 2018, 01:15:31 PM »
Top recruits do sometimes commit to lower programs. It's not common, but using ESPN's top-100...

• 2008 - #13 Luke Babbitt Nevada, played 2 years then declared for the NBA Draft.
  • 2010 - #24 Tony Mitchell North Texas, stayed close to home & ended up playing for former MU assistant Tony Benford.
  • 2010 - #33 Trey Zeigler Central Michigan, played 2 years for his dad, transferred to Pitt and TCU after dad was fired.
  • 2012 - #19 Danuel House Houston, committed to the program when in C-USA, later transferred to TAMU.
  • 2013 - #28 Erik Mika BYU, played one year, went on a 2-year mission, played a second year, declared for the draft.
It doesn't happen often, but sometimes players do stay home. Whether to play for family or just to be close to them, it does happen. It's interesting that it really hasn't happened much the past 5 years. Be interesting to see where Baldwin Jr. ends up.

Mitchell is a bad example, but agree with your point.  Mitchell committed to Missouri, but was ruled ineligible so enrolled at UNT.  He didn't have a lot of options once ineligible. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12154 on: February 17, 2018, 02:32:08 PM »
Mitchell is a bad example, but agree with your point.  Mitchell committed to Missouri, but was ruled ineligible so enrolled at UNT.  He didn't have a lot of options once ineligible.

That is maybe more incentive for some smaller programs. Stick close to the recruit and if something goes wrong, whether eligibility issues, a coaching change, or whatever else, you are there to pick up the pieces and land a talent well over your usual level.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12155 on: February 17, 2018, 07:11:52 PM »

Well ... maybe if we already signed a grad transfer who could actually play PG and if somebody else left, creating a spot for a 13th player.

In addition to needing a PG who can D (which Wilson was decent at but a little overrated in that department), we need a PG who can create for others - which Derrick was horrendous at. While we don't need another 3-point bomber, it sure would be nice if he wasn't so incompetent offensively that his defender never felt the need to look at him. Also would be nice if he could hit a FT at the end of games (or anytime in games, really). Oh, and it would be good if the player was taller than me!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #12156 on: February 17, 2018, 07:14:05 PM »
They do not need a Derrick Wilson like player for any role. Come on, Sultan. Raise the bar and look for major improvements.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #12157 on: February 17, 2018, 07:30:29 PM »
Nobal Days not looking so far great today. Just two points and 3 rebounds at the half against New Trier.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #12158 on: February 17, 2018, 08:21:18 PM »
Nobal Days not looking so far great today. Just two points and 3 rebounds at the half against New Trier.
I guess Nobel was having an off day.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12159 on: February 17, 2018, 08:40:35 PM »
They do not need a Derrick Wilson like player for any role. Come on, Sultan. Raise the bar and look for major improvements.

He’d be fine as a back up PG.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #12160 on: February 17, 2018, 10:14:35 PM »
I guess Nobel was having an off day.

Ended up finished with 6 points and 4 rebounds, most definitely an off day.

You can certainly see the skill set though. His two baskets in the second half were a pretty high degree of difficulty.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #12161 on: February 17, 2018, 10:17:40 PM »
Ended up finished with 6 points and 4 rebounds, most definitely an off day.

You can certainly see the skill set though. His two baskets in the second half were a pretty high degree of difficulty.
Sometimes he is just going to have days like this day. 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #12162 on: February 17, 2018, 10:20:17 PM »
If our coaching staff believes that Markus Howard can pkay point guard for us next year than we are in big trouble.  No one remotely familiar with the game can possibly watch Markus fumble the ball n throw it away repeatedly and possess poor court vision and feel we dont need a PG
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #12163 on: February 18, 2018, 09:59:37 PM »

Agreed, a Derrick Wilson on next year's team would be great. 

We only need someone that can handle the ball and play some D.  Not much else.  With Sacar's driving ability, Sam's shooting and post up play, and the other (current) freshman showing the ability to shoot, along with some contributions from Joey and Bailey, I don't think we need a creative backup PG next year.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #12164 on: February 18, 2018, 10:25:29 PM »
Agreed, a Derrick Wilson on next year's team would be great. 

We only need someone that can handle the ball and play some D.  Not much else.  With Sacar's driving ability, Sam's shooting and post up play, and the other (current) freshman showing the ability to shoot, along with some contributions from Joey and Bailey, I don't think we need a creative backup PG next year.
We do not ever want a Derrick Wilson type player again. Great kid but could not hit the broad side of a barn.  We had one of our worst seasons ever with him at the helm.
                       ---Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #12165 on: February 18, 2018, 10:37:33 PM »
We do not ever want a Derrick Wilson type player again. Great kid but could not hit the broad side of a barn.  We had one of our worst seasons ever with him at the helm.

Shoulda let Dawson run that team, eh?

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #12166 on: February 19, 2018, 08:29:21 AM »

Well, I wasn't talking about a player like that at the helm.  I was talking about a player like that at the backup PG position.  And I really don't think we need any scoring from that spot.  Just someone who can handle the ball and play defense.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #12167 on: February 19, 2018, 08:41:10 AM »
Well, I wasn't talking about a player like that at the helm.  I was talking about a player like that at the backup PG position.  And I really don't think we need any scoring from that spot.  Just someone who can handle the ball and play defense.
i don't like when a pg can't keep his defender honest.  i have no clue what MU is thinking for PG next year.  markus almost has to play PG if he wants to cash a decent paycheck.  amazing that he looks so awful doing it 2 years in. 

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #12168 on: February 19, 2018, 12:36:08 PM »

You missed two

2011  #40 Cam Beidsheid  Notre Dame
2013   #34 Demetrius Jackson  Notre Dame
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12169 on: February 19, 2018, 12:52:17 PM »
You missed two

2011  #40 Cam Beidsheid  Notre Dame
2013   #34 Demetrius Jackson  Notre Dame

Winner.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12170 on: February 19, 2018, 01:09:39 PM »
i don't like when a pg can't keep his defender honest.  i have no clue what MU is thinking for PG next year.  markus almost has to play PG if he wants to cash a decent paycheck.  amazing that he looks so awful doing it 2 years in.

Agree on both counts, avid.

I want a PG who is at least a threat to score a little and one who has a chance to make a FT if fouled when desperate opponents are pressing in an effort to rally late. As I have said before, I think the "floor" for PG effectiveness at Marquette should be Junior.

Not a great shooter, but he couldn't be totally ignored and he made one of the team's biggest shots of the 2012-13 season ... not an all-world driver, but pretty decent at getting into the lane to set up others and himself ... not turnover-proof but adequate at taking care of the ball ... not au-to-matic from the stripe but .714 as a senior.

Derrick fell short in every one of those departments. I mean, how many high-major coaches in history have had to remove their starting PG in a protect-the-lead situation because he can't make a FT?

For our 2018-19 season grad-transfer, I'll take minimum "Junior-level offense" along with good defensive ability and a 6-foot-4 frame. Is that asking too much? (Ha!)

And yes, hard to believe Markus has almost no PG instincts at this stage of his career given how hard he obviously has worked at his game, and also that such a smart kid makes so many poor decisions with the ball. Unless he improves markedly in those areas, he has almost no chance at an NBA career.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12171 on: February 19, 2018, 01:27:48 PM »
Derrick was just fine as a back up to Junior.  He'd be just fine as a back up to Markus next year.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #12172 on: February 19, 2018, 01:30:07 PM »
Have to agree with about Markus, needs to learn how to pass to a teammate when he is driving, kick to the open man.  I have to say, but I think one of the
reasons Haniff left after Hawaii, is seeing Markus drive to the hoop, take a bad shot and he was wide open in the corner.  He would have helped a little, at the
expense of time for Elliott and Cain.  So happy he left.  If Markus wants to be a pro, which he could be, he will have to learn pass first.  Not sure if that is in his
game yet, but if MU wants to make a dent the next 2 years with all the talent around him, he better learn.  The league will not be as good next year, ad the top teams
are losing a lot of talent.  Villy again will be very good and X will be fine, not sure how Butler, Providence and Hall will be better but the bottom teams are improving
and St. Johns could be very good if Ponds comes back, not sure he will.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #12173 on: February 19, 2018, 01:41:48 PM »
Have to agree with about Markus, needs to learn how to pass to a teammate when he is driving, kick to the open man.  I have to say, but I think one of the
reasons Haniff left after Hawaii, is seeing Markus drive to the hoop, take a bad shot and he was wide open in the corner.  He would have helped a little, at the
expense of time for Elliott and Cain.  So happy he left.  If Markus wants to be a pro, which he could be, he will have to learn pass first.  Not sure if that is in his
game yet, but if MU wants to make a dent the next 2 years with all the talent around him, he better learn.  The league will not be as good next year, ad the top teams
are losing a lot of talent.  Villy again will be very good and X will be fine, not sure how Butler, Providence and Hall will be better but the bottom teams are improving
and St. Johns could be very good if Ponds comes back, not sure he will.
I doubt that Haanif's story will every come out, unless Big Daddy gets permission to tell us, but I think that its safe to say that the reason he left wasn't because he didn't get to take enough threes. 
Markus needs to learn how to be a better distributor, but his ability to break defenders down on the dribble means that he doesn't have as far to go to become a good distributor as some think.  I also think that not enough people are taking Greg seriously as a PG next year.  If he works on his handles and gets healthy he can get the job done.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #12174 on: February 19, 2018, 02:08:37 PM »
Derrick was just fine as a back up to Junior.  He'd be just fine as a back up to Markus next year.

Exactly.  That's all we would need for next year.

feedback