[Today at 03:29:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8337882 times)

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 1/15/21
« Reply #28300 on: February 22, 2021, 08:56:32 AM »
#donedeal?

If he's looking at academics between MU and Tulsa, I like our chances.  Kordell, come on down!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28301 on: February 22, 2021, 09:19:49 AM »
I like the best version of himself.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #28302 on: February 22, 2021, 09:42:24 AM »
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/kordell-charles-happy-to-be-healthy-considering-offers

Suburban Toronto.

Marquette needs help on the wing (and the 2). This would potentially be a Jamal Cain type of player with better handles. Has some bounce and athleticism. Injured for a year. Would likely need a season of limited experience to adjust to the college level. He keeps getting taller too.

MVP of Big Shots Myrtle Beach a year after his injury. Earlier recruitment in 2019 were the likes of Michigan St., USC etc...Illinois and South Florida offered him immediately following his successful return in October/2020 at Myrtle Beach.

Biggest current strengths, transition, rebounding...capable hoop driver, and can block shots.

Would be a nice add for MUBB.

panda

• All American
« Reply #28303 on: February 22, 2021, 09:52:29 AM »
Suburban Toronto.

Marquette needs help on the wing (and the 2). This would potentially be a Jamal Cain type of player with better handles. Has some bounce and athleticism. Injured for a year. Would likely need a season of limited experience to adjust to the college level. He keeps getting taller too.

MVP of Big Shots Myrtle Beach a year after his injury. Earlier recruitment in 2019 were the likes of Michigan St., USC etc...Illinois and South Florida offered him immediately following his successful return in October/2020 at Myrtle Beach.

Biggest current strengths, transition, rebounding...capable hoop driver, and can block shots.

Would be a nice add for MUBB.

He looks very good in his highlight videos. If he’s fully healthy, he could see some good minutes right away. He can score at multiple levels, looks bouncy and acclimated with his body at a younger age.

Compare that to a guy like Jonas who just oozes potential, but doesn’t appear comfortable with himself and his size yet.

JakeBarnes

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 2/15/21
« Reply #28304 on: February 22, 2021, 10:03:51 AM »
Seems like the injuries derailed the offers. But Kordell looks like he has a nice touch around hoop and doesn't shy from contact. If we've been missing something lately, it's the "get them into foul trouble" type player that stays in control and drives through the contact. I hope that he commits. Could be a nice surprise.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28305 on: February 22, 2021, 10:25:17 AM »
If Charles does join up, that pushes us to 12 scholarships used assuming no transfers. I'd assume at least one or two transfers and Carton is reportedly considering going pro. Should end up being room for a insta-transfer or two. My hope was for Nimari Burnett but latest rumors seem to have him looking elsewhere.

If Charles commits, I like the balance of the 21 class. We will have a PG, SG, SF, and C in the fold. Mitchell and Aidoo both look like instant contributors as well.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #28306 on: February 22, 2021, 10:52:50 AM »
Seems like the injuries derailed the offers. But Kordell looks like he has a nice touch around hoop and doesn't shy from contact. If we've been missing something lately, it's the "get them into foul trouble" type player that stays in control and drives through the contact. I hope that he commits. Could be a nice surprise.

Yep. Two things we are often missing although Carton seems to know how to draw fouls with his very quick moves. Collin Gillespie's ability to draw fouls is probably the best of the BE. Not only gets the opponents in foul trouble but makes them be a little cautious around him.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28307 on: February 22, 2021, 11:34:42 AM »
Apparently hasn't heard that the program is doomed, so here's hoping Kordell kommits to MarKette by month's end!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #28308 on: February 22, 2021, 01:49:57 PM »
If Charles does join up, that pushes us to 12 scholarships used assuming no transfers. I'd assume at least one or two transfers and Carton is reportedly considering going pro. Should end up being room for a insta-transfer or two. My hope was for Nimari Burnett but latest rumors seem to have him looking elsewhere.

If Charles commits, I like the balance of the 21 class. We will have a PG, SG, SF, and C in the fold. Mitchell and Aidoo both look like instant contributors as well.

Are there still rumblings of Carton going pro? Or is that based off the general thoughts of when he transferred?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28309 on: February 22, 2021, 03:19:58 PM »
Are there still rumblings of Carton going pro? Or is that based off the general thoughts of when he transferred?

What I've heard is that when Carton transferred he made it known that his plan was a 1 year stop before going pro. Some on here even said that if Carton didn't get a waiver he would just declare.

I haven't heard that recently. I think his stock is a lot lower now than at the beginning of the season and despite some scoopers' belief that every player is here in spite of Wojo, he actually enjoys being at Marquette. Could mean that the plan has changed, it could mean that there's nothing to talk about because the plan hasn't changed.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #28310 on: February 22, 2021, 04:08:59 PM »
Will not be drafted, best to comeback and show improvement in all facets of his game, athleticism alone does not make you an NBA player.

panda

• All American
« Reply #28311 on: February 22, 2021, 04:11:57 PM »
Will not be drafted, best to comeback and show improvement in all facets of his game, athleticism alone does not make you an NBA player.

You don't need to be drafted to go pro.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #28312 on: February 22, 2021, 04:18:34 PM »
You don't need to be drafted to go pro.

No, you can be like Vander and become a fringe player in the world, he proves he should have stayed, getting drafted in the NBA is worth a ton of money, ask Henry Ellenson, the millionaire

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #28313 on: February 22, 2021, 04:26:54 PM »
Ask Wesley Matthews or Juan Anderson.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #28314 on: February 22, 2021, 04:28:02 PM »
Ask Wesley Matthews or Juan Anderson.

While true, both of them were four year players.

I don't think I am being biased when I say Carton should be back for another year.  Too many holes in his game right now.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #28315 on: February 22, 2021, 04:44:55 PM »
No, you can be like Vander and become a fringe player in the world, he proves he should have stayed, getting drafted in the NBA is worth a ton of money, ask Henry Ellenson, the millionaire

Given how strong the draft was the next season how little gander wanted to be a student and his family situation, going pro made sense. Despite what some internet message board experts seemed to believe would be best for him.

panda

• All American
« Reply #28316 on: February 22, 2021, 04:47:41 PM »
While true, both of them were four year players.

I don't think I am being biased when I say Carton should be back for another year.  Too many holes in his game right now.

I agree, but also can see how playing college basketball may not be the end all be all for some.

There’s a lot of credence in going pro (in a competitive league) and working on your game non stop against professionals, rather than restrictive practice times and limited games in college.

It really comes down to the individual. Not all players get better in college.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #28317 on: February 22, 2021, 05:26:03 PM »
Not all players want to train part time for the NBA, go to the class part time and live in Humphrey for no compensation.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #28318 on: February 22, 2021, 05:40:52 PM »
I think MU will be in the market for a transfer guard and perhaps a transfer wing regardless.
Why we have to great guard recruits coming.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #28319 on: February 22, 2021, 11:10:18 PM »

I hope Carton knows that "pro" doesn't mean NBA. He'd be looking at overseas or G League. Either of those might still be better for his career than staying in Milwaukee.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #28320 on: February 23, 2021, 06:38:52 AM »
I hope Carton knows that "pro" doesn't mean NBA. He'd be looking at overseas or G League. Either of those might still be better for his career than staying in Milwaukee.

Whose team are you on? Granted Carton has talent, but he needs more seasoning at Marquette. He plAys like a "young" talent.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #28321 on: February 23, 2021, 11:31:52 AM »

When's the last time we had a freshman guard step in and play a major role right away?  Markus?  Haanif?  Traci?  It's been a while and I don't feel confident that either Mitchell or Jones will come in and be a starter or major minutes guy right away.

Now if Iowa State cans Prohm (likely), Wojo needs to be on the phone with Tyrese Hunter within about 15 minutes.  I still think he could be a difference maker (even if I am a little biased)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #28322 on: February 23, 2021, 11:34:01 AM »

We have good guards coming. They will be freshman.  Plus Symir, who I think is close to his ceiling.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28323 on: February 23, 2021, 11:45:34 AM »
When's the last time we had a freshman guard step in and play a major role right away?  Markus?  Haanif?  Traci?  It's been a while and I don't feel confident that either Mitchell or Jones will come in and be a starter or major minutes guy right away.

Now if Iowa State cans Prohm (likely), Wojo needs to be on the phone with Tyrese Hunter within about 15 minutes.  I still think he could be a difference maker (even if I am a little biased)

Depends on your definition of "major." Markus averaged only 22 mpg as a frosh, shooting only 8.7 times per game. But after a slow start (only 25 pts in first 5 games), he ended up leading our balanced, NCAA tourney-bound team in scoring; shot so well from 3 (.547) that some Scoopers were speculating that he could shoot 60% for a season.

The previous year, Haani started all 33 games and played almost 30 mpg, often out of position at PG. Averaged 11 ppg, looked like he'd have a nice career but never did learn how to go right.

As for the subject at hand, it sure would be nice if DJ stayed or if one of the frosh is a stud (or preferably both). The fact that DJ won't be "ready" to be a pro probably will mean little as to whether he stays or goes.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #28324 on: February 23, 2021, 11:46:47 AM »

Prohm really ran the ISU program, after Hoiberg's success, into the ground.  14-36 past two seasons, 5-26 in Big 12 play.  I wonder if Hoiberg would want to go back to ISU.  He, too, has had a really bad two years at Nebraska, and he's getting paid more than his predecessor (Tim Miles), who had greater success at Nebraska than Hoiberg has had.  Some basketball programs are just incapable of reaching sustained success (Nebraska, for whatever reason, very much appears to be one of them). 

Getting a Tyrese Hunter would be incredible.  Heck, any skilled new player for MU would be. 

feedback