[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8336431 times)

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 7/15/20
« Reply #27050 on: July 31, 2020, 03:32:18 PM »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #27051 on: July 31, 2020, 03:51:44 PM »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #27052 on: July 31, 2020, 04:11:40 PM »
What do you want? Them to actually be penalized???

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #27053 on: July 31, 2020, 05:41:10 PM »
NCAA punishment having intended effect
Will be interesting to see what the punishment is. I think we will find out soon.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #27054 on: July 31, 2020, 07:28:18 PM »
https://www.anonymouseagle.com/2020/3/4/21163228/marquette-golden-eagles-basketball-recruiting-scholarship-offer-tyrese-hunter

In this article, our very own brew77 says we finally offered Hunter and “frankly, it’s about time”. We had previously gone after 2 other PGs and had other PG offers (like Mitchell) out there. The point is, at one time (according to a Scoop poster who teaches at St. Catherine’s and knows the kid personally) we were his dream school, his undisputed #1. But he warned us that if we weren’t quick on the trigger the kid would draw the attention of other high profile schools. Bottom line, he was in our backyard, wanted MU but we weren’t as quick to want him. Now? Who knows?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27055 on: July 31, 2020, 07:35:55 PM »
https://www.anonymouseagle.com/2020/3/4/21163228/marquette-golden-eagles-basketball-recruiting-scholarship-offer-tyrese-hunter

In this article, our very own brew77 says we finally offered Hunter and “frankly, it’s about time”. We had previously gone after 2 other PGs and had other PG offers (like Mitchell) out there. The point is, at one time (according to a Scoop poster who teaches at St. Catherine’s and knows the kid personally) we were his dream school, his undisputed #1. But he warned us that if we weren’t quick on the trigger the kid would draw the attention of other high profile schools. Bottom line, he was in our backyard, wanted MU but we weren’t as quick to want him. Now? Who knows?

We were his dream school and we offered him before any of his other top 10 schools. What more would you like?

MU should just hire you.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #27056 on: July 31, 2020, 07:40:48 PM »
Enough of this.  Per 247 we were one of 11 schools (5 if you only count high majors, 6 if you count high majors plus DePaul) to offer Hunter on the same day, don't know if that's when an "open period" started or if that's just when the website was updated.  The only schools that offered before us where MU West (by 2 days) and Georgia Tech (by just over a month).  Now both MU West and GT are listed in his final 10, and we may lose out to them seeing at they have no commitments for the class of 2021 and we may very well have a second non Hunter guard locked up in less than a week, but I wouldn't classify either of those schools as "high profile".  If we get him, great, if not, it's looking like we have more than capable kids committed. 

Just curious, is this obsession with Hunter just because he's as Wisconsin kid, or is there some other fascination I'm not getting?

https://247sports.com/Player/Tyrese-Hunter-46086033/TimelineEvents/

https://twitter.com/hunter_tyrese/status/1277655783539462144

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #27057 on: July 31, 2020, 07:43:59 PM »
I’m pretty sure someone that teaches/works at his high school reported he was waiting for an offer for a long time. Loved MU.  Then he blew up. 

I don’t know why this is a controversy though. 

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #27058 on: July 31, 2020, 07:47:34 PM »
I think you may have done a good explain explaining exactly why this may be a potential controversy.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #27059 on: July 31, 2020, 07:50:01 PM »
I think you may have done a good explain explaining exactly why this may be a potential controversy.

Yes I meant the facts.  Debating the wojo part is a controversy.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #27060 on: July 31, 2020, 07:54:17 PM »
I’m pretty sure someone that teaches/works at his high school reported he was waiting for an offer for a long time. Loved MU.  Then he blew up. 

Because Lenny’s can’t admit he was wrong. 

Looks like they got the guy they preferred. Nothing magical about being from Racine versus Pennsylvania.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #27061 on: July 31, 2020, 07:55:38 PM »
Has he really "blown up" though.  He's been floating between top 80 and top 110 for since before his Junior year started.  I think it's more some posters here heard the name, heard he was local, and got a Herman-esque fixation for him.

https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Tyrese-Hunter-at-St-Catherines-248285/RecruitRankHistory/

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #27062 on: July 31, 2020, 08:02:07 PM »
http://ww-w.verbalcommits.com/players/tyrese-hunter

This is a more accurate timeline of schools interest/offers of Tyrese.

I have been and remain one of his biggest fans on Marquette message boards.  I can't remember what recruiting analyst said something along the lines, "It doesn't matter whether a school offers you right away, what matters is how much contact they have with you".  Marquette was in constant contact.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #27063 on: July 31, 2020, 08:12:01 PM »
http://ww-w.verbalcommits.com/players/tyrese-hunter

This is a more accurate timeline of schools interest/offers of Tyrese.

I have been and remain one of his biggest fans on Marquette message boards.  I can't remember what recruiting analyst said something along the lines, "It doesn't matter whether a school offers you right away, what matters is how much contact they have with you".  Marquette was in constant contact.

If this is more accurate that's even better.  Also seeing as no one but various schools staffs have had contact with him since March, being in "poll position" last November is kind of moot.

Different kids recruitments take different amounts of time, you don't turn down Kam or Stevie with the hope of getting Hunter later.  Take what you can get when you can get it.*

*Obvious exception for clear cut blue chippers but that isn't the case here.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #27064 on: July 31, 2020, 08:13:40 PM »

Looks like they got the guy they preferred. Nothing magical about being from Racine versus Pennsylvania.
They don't have anybody yet.  Preferred? Maybe.  Or, as in most cases, the public doesn't know the reasons and guesses on message boards. Hunter has said that he is going to take his time in deciding.  Maybe Wojo isn't willing to wait until spring for the guy they prefer.....and potentially miss out on the next best thing who maybe willing to commit soon.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #27065 on: July 31, 2020, 08:35:14 PM »
They don't have anybody yet.  Preferred? Maybe.  Or, as in most cases, the public doesn't know the reasons and guesses on message boards. Hunter has said that he is going to take his time in deciding.  Maybe Wojo isn't willing to wait until spring for the guy they prefer.....and potentially miss out on the next best thing who maybe willing to commit soon.

They don’t have anybody yet?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27066 on: July 31, 2020, 08:49:11 PM »

That's Brewtown Andy. I post my articles on Cracked Sidewalks.

It did seem like it took awhile with Hunter, but we were still ahead of a lot of other programs. I know Curro hasn't been favorable to Marquette in the past and we were definitely after Mitchell first. Honestly, if Hunter were from Memphis or Vermont or Minnesota, no one would think twice. We seem to be getting one of our top PG targets. That will likely mean another goes elsewhere. Doesn't seem like that big a deal. Nothing at all against Hunter, I'd love him to come here, but I can accept taking someone the staff favors more as well.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #27067 on: July 31, 2020, 08:58:04 PM »

That's me.  I don't believe I ever said that.  Even if there wasn't a formal offer, MU was in contact for a long time, so I will not blame Wojo at all.  It just looks like other guys made up their mind first.

That's how these things work.  You throw out a bunch of offers and the first to accept them get the spots.

Tyrese is a great kid and he's making the biggest decision of his life.  Give him time.  He might yet pick MU.  I hope he does.

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #27068 on: July 31, 2020, 09:30:26 PM »
It amazes me how Michigan State can get top prospects in the same position...maybe Hunter commits as well and we have two great PG recruits

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #27069 on: July 31, 2020, 10:18:43 PM »

Looks like they got the guy they preferred.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27070 on: July 31, 2020, 10:25:55 PM »
It amazes me how Michigan State can get top prospects in the same position...maybe Hunter commits as well and we have two great PG recruits

I understand why people say things like "well another PG committed so we're probably out on this other PG." And there are certainly hundreds of examples where that scenario has played out. But the reality is that there are also hundreds of examples of multiple players who play the same position committing to the same team in the same class. Hell, our incoming FR class has three guys who play PF. They all have differen skillsets, but I think that the same could be said of Hunter and Mitchell. Watching the tape on both, they seem like two PGs who play the game very differently. I would not be surprised at all if MU still pursues Hunter and also wouldn't be surprised if he ended up here. We've got 5 open scholarships for this class, 4 if Mitchell is truly a #donedeal. And if the list of players offered tells us anything, its that the staff expects 3 or more of those spots to go to guards.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 01:42:29 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #27071 on: July 31, 2020, 10:55:37 PM »

I agree they got the guy they preferred. Whether he’s the better player time will tell.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #27072 on: July 31, 2020, 10:58:00 PM »
That's Brewtown Andy. I post my articles on Cracked Sidewalks.

It did seem like it took awhile with Hunter, but we were still ahead of a lot of other programs. I know Curro hasn't been favorable to Marquette in the past and we were definitely after Mitchell first. Honestly, if Hunter were from Memphis or Vermont or Minnesota, no one would think twice. We seem to be getting one of our top PG targets. That will likely mean another goes elsewhere. Doesn't seem like that big a deal. Nothing at all against Hunter, I'd love him to come here, but I can accept taking someone the staff favors more as well.

Sorry I confused you with Brewtown Andy.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27073 on: August 01, 2020, 11:35:50 AM »
Sorry I confused you with Brewtown Andy.

No worries. Personally, I like Hunter's game, I really like Mitchell's. Both have potential, but I feel Mitchell is a bit more of a distributor, which I really want to see in Wojo's system. I don't think we're going wrong with either or even both.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #27074 on: August 01, 2020, 11:54:46 AM »

I know this, the coaching staff got someone they liked better.  As you imply said, time will tell.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 12:01:31 PM by 4everDawson »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.