'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8308162 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 5/15/20
« Reply #26375 on: May 26, 2020, 06:23:39 PM »
Here is the last paragraph of the interesting link Galway Eagle posted:

To complicate matters, the word spade came into use in the United States during the 1920s as a pejorative term for African-American. For this reason, the term call a spade a spade has sometimes been perceived as a racist phrase, even though its roots reach back to antiquity. Use caution when employing this phrase.

And here is the last paragraph of the interesting link Frenn's posted:

So what does all of this mean for people who want to, well, "call a spade a spade"? I urge caution. Mieder concludes his case study with the argument that "to call a spade a spade" should be retired from modern usage: "Rather than taking the chance of unintentionally offending someone or of being misunderstood, it is best to relinquish the old innocuous proverbial expression all together."

I suggest that next time guru and MSK are in a situation in which a lot of black folks are present, they have a conversation something like this:

guru: "He is so cheap."

MSK: "Yep, really niggardly."

guru: "Hey, we're just calling a spade a spade."

Then let the rest of us know how it goes.

I am going to fess up to something, though: I saw guru use the phrase in two different threads and I felt I should say something. But guru, I wish I had sent you a PM. You deserved that, and I apologize for saying what I did publicly. I am 100% certain that you meant absolutely no offense by the post.

I also wish this hadn't taken over the recruiting thread.

But again, as the links stated, phrases like those are best retired permanently. There are so many ways to say the exact same thing without running the risk of insulting somebody.

OK, back to recruiting.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26376 on: May 26, 2020, 06:28:20 PM »
Lucas Taylor with an MU offer.

https://twitter.com/lucas_taylor10/status/1265406578955636739?s=19

Think the staff is getting a bit antsy and anxious for a commit..they have thrown out a couple offers in the last couple of days that one would think were done mostly to send a message "hey so and so, you need to decide soon".
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #26377 on: May 26, 2020, 06:37:42 PM »
Think the staff is getting a bit antsy and anxious for a commit..they have thrown out a couple offers in the last couple of days that one would think were done mostly to send a message "hey so and so, you need to decide soon".

Taylor is on the rise, an under the radar 2021 6'6 guard/wing. Recently received his first high major offer from Vandy. Since, Wake Forest, Providence, Xavier, etc...have offered this past month.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 06:42:08 PM by shoothoops »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26378 on: May 26, 2020, 06:48:36 PM »
Taylor is on the rise, an under the radar 2021 6'6 guard/wing. Recently received his first high major offer from Vandy. Since, Wake Forest, Providence, Xavier, etc...have offered this past month.

I get that, but...MU already has plenty of offers out to guys and I know, you never stop recruiting, but...this isn't exactly an overwhelming offer list either.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26379 on: May 26, 2020, 08:43:44 PM »
I get that, but...MU already has plenty of offers out to guys and I know, you never stop recruiting, but...this isn't exactly an overwhelming offer list either.
The good news is MU has Jose Perez signed up and he will be eligible the same time as a 2021 high school recruit . Likewise, if Carton doesn't get a waiver, he will be coming in at that same time. Those are two players who have proven their ability at the D1 level.

One of the big advantages of this year and recruiting is MU does not have to compete with the September and October college football based recruiting trips. With the pandemic those events are not going to be the same.

The other big asset MU has is plenty of open spots. That means the coaching staff can put out actionable offers early if they choose to do so.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26380 on: May 26, 2020, 08:51:20 PM »
A week ago we were crying because MU hadn’t offered a kid with a similar list as this kid. Now we’re crying because we’re “desperate” by offering a low ranked kid without many major offers.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26381 on: May 26, 2020, 09:10:03 PM »
The good news is MU has Jose Perez signed up and he will be eligible the same time as a 2021 high school recruit . Likewise, if Carton doesn't get a waiver, he will be coming in at that same time. Those are two players who have proven their ability at the D1 level.

One of the big advantages of this year and recruiting is MU does not have to compete with the September and October college football based recruiting trips. With the pandemic those events are not going to be the same.

The other big asset MU has is plenty of open spots. That means the coaching staff can put out actionable offers early if they choose to do so.

I actually thought MU was going to have an advantage because of covid. Reason being, they were able to have guys like Warley and Etienne, and Kendall Brown on official visits already and I was hoping at least one of those would decide early thinking they may not be able to visit other places anytime soon or at least in the timeline they wanted. Not being able to visit those other places would be a MUCH bigger advantage than them being able to visit places at all in Sept and Oct even with scaled down football season. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem like it was going to work to be the advantage I was hoping for as it seems none of them want to pull the trigger anytime soon.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26382 on: May 26, 2020, 09:16:58 PM »
A week ago we were crying because MU hadn’t offered a kid with a similar list as this kid. Now we’re crying because we’re “desperate” by offering a low ranked kid without many major offers.

You'll never hear that from me...I like the "larger" waters MU swims in as far as offering kids(Like Warley, Etienne, Brown etc) with much better offers than this kid has gotten. If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best. That doesn't mean this kid won't be a good player by any stretch, but I know for most offers from say Wake, Xavier, Providence are impressive offers, I think they are OK offers, but doesn't scream to me someone MU needs to offer because schools like that have "so he must be good enough for MU". In other words, I feel as though MU should consistently have better classes than schools like that. Call it what you want, that's how I see it.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26383 on: May 26, 2020, 09:17:54 PM »
Jake
@jakeweingarten
·
5m
Source: Illinois’ Brad Underwood and his full staff just completed a virtual meeting with five-star junior Kendall Brown. Big target for the Illini, who made his recent list cut.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #26384 on: May 26, 2020, 09:24:43 PM »
Jake
@jakeweingarten
·
5m
Source: Illinois’ Brad Underwood and his full staff just completed a virtual meeting with five-star junior Kendall Brown. Big target for the Illini, who made his recent list cut.

Wojo and Underwood seem to be going head to head quite a bit lately. Most recently Carton and Perez both went to Wojo.

It seems that Kendall Brown will have Marquette and Illinois as options of schools that don’t get a ton of recruits of his ilk- I wouldn’t be surprised if both were on his final list and battling to the wire for his services with a few other “bigger” fish

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #26385 on: May 26, 2020, 09:27:38 PM »

It is best for society at large not to say things that may be inadvertently offensive to others.  I just try to do my part.  Sometimes I fail.  Sometimes it isn't reciprocated.  That shouldn't stop me from trying.
[/quote
I still do not think warriors should be politically incorrect.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26386 on: May 26, 2020, 10:02:08 PM »
Certain factions of society dictate what is offensive and what isn't?? Oh hell no.

So it's only fair when you're the one dictating it? You realize that you embody everything you complain about, right?
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26387 on: May 26, 2020, 10:05:16 PM »
Lucas Taylor with an MU offer.

https://twitter.com/lucas_taylor10/status/1265406578955636739?s=19

Don't know that I've ever seen a picture of DJO accompanying an offer announcement. I dig it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #26388 on: May 26, 2020, 10:17:45 PM »
This is patently false...almost no matter what now days something you say or do WILL in fact offend SOMEONE. Almost always without fail. Heck many years ago, I told a co worker it was nice to see her smiling face today and she got offended. And that's what's sad about it..it never used to offend people, but now people search for things to offend them, so because it offends one or two people we can't say it or do it because it offends them. So I get offended by people being offended by saying something like "calling a spade a spade", yet, if I get offended by them being offended that doesn't matter. That's why it's a sad world. People need to stop being snowflakes. It's the wussification of America.
Who hurt you?

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #26389 on: May 26, 2020, 10:18:01 PM »

I love it when you post things as facts when you have no idea if it is true or not.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #26390 on: May 26, 2020, 10:19:50 PM »
Here is the last paragraph of the interesting link Galway Eagle posted:

To complicate matters, the word spade came into use in the United States during the 1920s as a pejorative term for African-American. For this reason, the term call a spade a spade has sometimes been perceived as a racist phrase, even though its roots reach back to antiquity. Use caution when employing this phrase.

And here is the last paragraph of the interesting link Frenn's posted:

So what does all of this mean for people who want to, well, "call a spade a spade"? I urge caution. Mieder concludes his case study with the argument that "to call a spade a spade" should be retired from modern usage: "Rather than taking the chance of unintentionally offending someone or of being misunderstood, it is best to relinquish the old innocuous proverbial expression all together."

I suggest that next time guru and MSK are in a situation in which a lot of black folks are present, they have a conversation something like this:

guru: "He is so cheap."

MSK: "Yep, really niggardly."

guru: "Hey, we're just calling a spade a spade."

Then let the rest of us know how it goes.

I am going to fess up to something, though: I saw guru use the phrase in two different threads and I felt I should say something. But guru, I wish I had sent you a PM. You deserved that, and I apologize for saying what I did publicly. I am 100% certain that you meant absolutely no offense by the post.

I also wish this hadn't taken over the recruiting thread.

But again, as the links stated, phrases like those are best retired permanently. There are so many ways to say the exact same thing without running the risk of insulting somebody.

OK, back to recruiting.

Mu 82 u have used that N word twice now.  We have discussed The spade is a spade phrase and both times u have injected the N word.  Wholly different conversations when that word is injected.  In fact i cant imagine a single conversation that would be acceptable with that word.
U are a pathetic human being.  I feel sorry for you, so steeped in your perceived superiority that u cant see ur self for the fool that others do. 
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26391 on: May 26, 2020, 10:23:18 PM »
I love it when you post things as facts when you have no idea if it is true or not.

Are you dense?? How you could for one second construe any of it as me saying it's fact...is a severe misconception. But you keep doing you from Dad's couch man.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26392 on: May 26, 2020, 10:58:51 PM »
So it's only fair when you're the one dictating it? You realize that you embody everything you complain about, right?

What I'm saying is...it's total bullcrap that certain members of society can dictate that things offend them and we have to go along with it and have respect for that. Yet, there's many things that people say or do that offend me and that doesn't matter, I'm told I have no reason to be offended by it and in fact the fact that I think those things are offensive, is also offensive to them. It gets crammed down my throat that I HAVE to accept things that I'm offended by. People also have a tendency to decide on the fly what offends them..One day it doesn't, a week later, suddenly they are offended by it and then that becomes the way it is. That's bullcrap. It's bullcrap that I can't be offended by things and others can be, that's not the way it's supposed to work. It never used to be that way. People have gotten soft..FACT.

What was that little limerick we were taught as kids "sticks and stones can break my bones but names will never hurt me". And "actions speak louder than words". You look at someone wrong now days and they are offended, you smile at someone, they are offended, you compliment someone, and they are offended because they "construed" it as something other than what it actually was. You offer to help someone with something and they are offended, you tell them that color doesn't look good on them, they are offended...But the things people do that offend me, I have no choice but to accept it, can't comment on it, can't dismiss it, can't be appalled or disgusted by it, just have to accept it. Bullcrap.

Obviously there are things that cross the line, without question and I respect that as everyone should. But, if people don't have to stop doing the things that offend me that are appalling, vile, disgusting and abhorrent(because well I HAVE to accept them), it's hard for me to be mindful of not doing or saying things that they find offensive that quite honestly really shouldn't offend them at all.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26393 on: May 26, 2020, 11:02:18 PM »
Mu 82 u have used that N word twice now.  We have discussed The spade is a spade phrase and both times u have injected the N word.  Wholly different conversations when that word is injected.  In fact i cant imagine a single conversation that would be acceptable with that word.
U are a pathetic human being.  I feel sorry for you, so steeped in your perceived superiority that u cant see ur self for the fool that others do.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #26394 on: May 26, 2020, 11:03:22 PM »
Are you dense?? How you could for one second construe any of it as me saying it's fact...is a severe misconception. But you keep doing you from Dad's couch man.

Step away from the keyboard!   The attacks and insults will stop when you stop or slow down your postings.  You can't win an internet argument with an anonymous person you've never met.     

muguru

• All American
« Reply #26395 on: May 26, 2020, 11:26:05 PM »
Step away from the keyboard!   The attacks and insults will stop when you stop or slow down your postings.  You can't win an internet argument with an anonymous person you've never met.   

I should be able to post things in the recruiting thread that pertains to recruiting(like I have done many many times BTW), that I'm sharing an opinion on without getting attacked or insulted. It's really that simple. What was his reason for attacking me?? He has none.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #26396 on: May 27, 2020, 08:09:01 AM »

I'm not overly concerned about a lack of commitments... yet.  The staff always seems to play things extremely close to the vest, and we often times don't hear something until it's already a #donedeal.  I remember the first time I had even heard Sy's name was about 48 hours before he committed because all the "experts" were saying that it was to us.  I know we had the offer out for a while, but it seems like we were only really pressing hard for Osa for a few weeks before he committed.  While some kids like releasing a top 15, then a top 10 etc., some just wait until they're ready to commit and then commit.

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #26397 on: May 27, 2020, 08:45:52 AM »
Don't know that I've ever seen a picture of DJO accompanying an offer announcement. I dig it.

Lucas Taylor is from Wake Forest, NC and DJO is from Raleigh. That's probably like a 25-30min drive.
Also, he tagged DJO in the tweet and follows him so I'm guessing maybe they know each other.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #26398 on: May 27, 2020, 09:09:02 AM »

Yet never addresses his Ignoratio elenchi.  Common fallacy used by weak minded people.
Additionally, make a completely untrue statement and then call out the pekple that react to it 😂.  He is turning into his hero, Trump.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #26399 on: May 27, 2020, 09:21:03 AM »
Lucas Taylor is from Wake Forest, NC and DJO is from Raleigh. That's probably like a 25-30min drive.
Also, he tagged DJO in the tweet and follows him so I'm guessing maybe they know each other.

This is some good super sleuthing. Sounds pretty good.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

feedback