[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8338120 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Recruiting as of 12/15/19
« Reply #24200 on: January 17, 2020, 05:30:50 PM »
Question for someone that follows WI high school ball closer than I do.  Other than the obvious Blue Chipper (I'd be shocked if Henry, Diamond, Johnson, Herro and Baldwin combine for more than 5 years in college), what has the pool on 4 year players looked like recently.  Haliburton somehow squeezed through the cracks, and would be a major contributor.  Terrance Lewis hasn't looked like anything overly special missed out on, there's a Diener down in DePaul right now, Kostas kinda flamed out, and Nobel Days isn't doing much in the American (although only a Freshman).   It seems like the Duane's, Fischer's, Koenigs, Burton's are fewer the past recruiting cycle.  King seems to be the only one I can think of.  Maybe McCabe, although I don't know how much his 3 ppg on 25% shooting and 15% from 3 is attributing to WVA success. 

Unless you're getting multiple Blue Chippers a year (which we're not), you need the 4 year Travis, Novak, Wes, Luke, Duane's of the state, and there just seems to have been fewer recently, which I think is part of the Detroit trio/Sacar, Theo, Dawson Minnesota "pipeline" being built.
I think the point is having a consistent in state presence enables a school to be in the dialogue with a recruit, if the kid is seeking to stay in state. 

Doesn't mean we have to take an in state kid. We just need to be in the discussion  with the best players each year. Helps  in evaluating whether a kid can become another Tyrese Halliburton.

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Tyrese-Haliburton-Iowa-State-NBA-FIBA-u19-World-Cup-United-States-USA-133359376/
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24201 on: January 17, 2020, 05:33:22 PM »
I don't know if MU ever did more than kick the tires here, but...
https://www.mlive.com/highschoolsports/2020/01/jalen-terry-of-flint-beecher-to-play-college-basketball-at-oregon.html

He had narrowed his list of schools to Louisville, Oregon, and LSU.  Three of these things are exactly like each other...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #24202 on: January 17, 2020, 05:53:20 PM »
Recruit the best most dominant most competitive kids.

burger

• All American
« Reply #24203 on: January 18, 2020, 08:41:02 AM »
He had narrowed his list of schools to Louisville, Oregon, and LSU.  Three of these things are exactly like each other...

WOW.....That final 3 screams....."show me the money".....

Surprised he doesn't have Memphis on the list......That is worth an extra "zero" vs. Louisville.....

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
« Reply #24204 on: January 18, 2020, 09:23:17 AM »
For those of you that have seen Ben Nau play,what are your thoughts.Can he play at the high major level?He is a good shooter.Maybe a Rosenberger type.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #24205 on: January 18, 2020, 10:21:42 AM »
Question for someone that follows WI high school ball closer than I do.  Other than the obvious Blue Chipper (I'd be shocked if Henry, Diamond, Johnson, Herro and Baldwin combine for more than 5 years in college), what has the pool on 4 year players looked like recently. 

Some nice MM guys out there..

Marcus Domask - frosh at Southern Illinois - has done very well this year
..and hopefully 5th year senior Billy Wampler from Eau Claire - Wright State via Drake via D1 MN - will get a chance to shine in the tourney this season.. very good player
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #24206 on: January 18, 2020, 10:47:48 AM »
Recruit the best most dominant most competitive kids.

*Insert Nicolas Cage "you don't say" meme here*
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #24207 on: January 18, 2020, 11:15:17 AM »

*Insert Nicolas Cage "you don't say" meme here*

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #24210 on: January 18, 2020, 11:16:06 PM »
That's a monster performance.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #24211 on: January 19, 2020, 08:31:40 AM »
Jake
@jakeweingarten
·
12m
Memphis’ Penny Hardaway will be in Canada today to meet with Top-50 senior Karim Mane, a source told @Stockrisers

Met with Georgetown on Thursday.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #24212 on: January 19, 2020, 08:47:49 AM »
Jake
@jakeweingarten
·
12m
Memphis’ Penny Hardaway will be in Canada today to meet with Top-50 senior Karim Mane, a source told @Stockrisers

Met with Georgetown on Thursday.

His bag man will be in over the weekend.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #24213 on: January 19, 2020, 11:02:38 AM »
Nnanna Njoku, C, Sanford School
Njoku is in the midst of a strong junior season. That certainly continued on Saturday, where Njoku pumped in 16 points and grabbed nine rebounds. Njoku is a strong, tough and physical low post prospect. He brings value with his ability to rebound and finish off plays in the paint. He also has potential as an off the catch shooter, as he has fine mechanics and a confidence shooting the ball from mid-range.
Recruiting: Marquette, Miami, Wichita State, Villanova and Pittsburgh have prioritized him.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #24214 on: January 19, 2020, 11:08:17 AM »
Nnanna Njoku, C, Sanford School
Njoku is in the midst of a strong junior season. That certainly continued on Saturday, where Njoku pumped in 16 points and grabbed nine rebounds. Njoku is a strong, tough and physical low post prospect. He brings value with his ability to rebound and finish off plays in the paint. He also has potential as an off the catch shooter, as he has fine mechanics and a confidence shooting the ball from mid-range.
Recruiting: Marquette, Miami, Wichita State, Villanova and Pittsburgh have prioritized him.

Yes, would love to have a low post that's a big scorer.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #24215 on: January 19, 2020, 11:12:59 AM »
Would love to see Wojo put an emphasis on #5 spot in recruiting.
It seems like the grad transfer market is a portal that he has done well.
Theo will be a senior next year.
Ed gone. Jayce gone.
I know Georgetown is Center U, but sure would be nice to have a Turkish man bun AND Wahab or similar on our roster.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #24216 on: January 19, 2020, 11:28:41 AM »
Yurtseven could be on an NBA roster next season. Just about any team in the country would love to have him. I was surprised to see in the box score that Wahab only played 6 minutes. Was 3-3 from the field, but also called for 3 fouls. For the season, he's committed fouls at about the same rate (8.0/40) as Theo did during his freshman year.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #24217 on: January 19, 2020, 11:35:55 AM »
Yurtseven could be on an NBA roster next season. Just about any team in the country would love to have him.

Absolutely, his size and range profile him very well to NBA.  First look at him for me, and was very impressed. He’ll need to gain a lot of strength to play in NBA, but definitely a prospect.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #24218 on: January 19, 2020, 12:07:06 PM »
Well 1; Joey enrolling early implies that he didn't think he'd be a 4 year player (whether or not that actually happens or not...), and 2; Sam has been beaten to death, and I was trying to keep it out of the recruiting thread.  I know King was offered a scholarship, and would be contributing to this team, Haliburton would as well, although he flew under everyone's radar, but I can''t really think of another in-state kid that would crack our rotation that we "missed" on.
Joey enrolled early with a redshirt to get the best medical possible for his injury and Marquette legally paying for it. He could have played 4 more years. But yes, expectations were he was not staying 4 years.
Goal is National Championship

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24219 on: January 19, 2020, 01:31:32 PM »
Joey enrolled early with a redshirt to get the best medical possible for his injury and Marquette legally paying for it. He could have played 4 more years. But yes, expectations were he was not staying 4 years.
Then he met expectations
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #24220 on: January 19, 2020, 01:56:23 PM »
Recruit kids that have the talent to make the NBA? Sure.  Recruit a kid because he is in Wisconsin?  No.
I think we do need to recruit kids that would just love to be at MU. Otherwise, you are just recruiting players that are going to transfer, if they do not play as much as they think they should.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #24221 on: January 19, 2020, 02:01:54 PM »
I think we do need to recruit kids that would just love to be at MU. Otherwise, you are just recruiting players that are going to transfer, if they do not play as much as they think they should.

Things change. That's not an approach that will work.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24222 on: January 19, 2020, 02:03:45 PM »

I would imagine that a kid's "love" for MU is largely dependent on whether he's getting the on-court opportunities he believes he's owed/earned.
A kid might be enthralled with all things Marquette, but if he's getting 10 mpg or less and believes he could start elsewhere, there's a good chance he's transferring.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #24223 on: January 19, 2020, 02:11:15 PM »

Its changed man. Kids go where they think they have the best shot at the Association. And, they think that's the likely outcome if they pick the best coach and program with the greatest odds of getting there. Chit, they'll matriculate at Walmart U if Calipari is coaching there. And its not because they dig the toy department, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muguru

• All American
« Reply #24224 on: January 19, 2020, 02:13:49 PM »
It's as I have said before, kids are supposed to be committing to the school, NOT the Coach/basketball program. They rarely do anymore, that's why there are so many transfers.