[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8336315 times)

oldwarrior81

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 11/15/19
« Reply #23525 on: December 03, 2019, 03:47:48 PM »
I'm not sure if they still do this, but Kentucky had a program of classes set up for their hoops recruits.  And not the classes that UNC had.
The Kentucky classes were geared for helping a 19-year old (with a million dollars) survive on their own.
John Wall took cooking classes.  HomeEc101 for buckets players.  Other classes like balancing bank accounts, paying bills, and not having to be dependent on someone else to do everything for you.   A sort of financial literacy class.

The NBA is doing some of this on their own with classes/seminars for rookies.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 03:50:56 PM by oldwarrior81 »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #23526 on: December 03, 2019, 03:57:50 PM »
I'm not sure if they still do this, but Kentucky had a program of classes set up for their hoops recruits.  And not the classes that UNC had.
The Kentucky classes were geared for helping a 19-year old (with a million dollars) survive on their own.
John Wall took cooking classes.  HomeEc101 for buckets players.  Other classes like balancing bank accounts, paying bills, and not having to be dependent on someone else to do everything for you.   A sort of financial literacy class.

Classes like this should be a high school requirement moreso than some of the things people have to take. I have more than a few friends that have no idea how to cook and rely on frozen pizza and microwave dinners exclusively
Maigh Eo for Sam

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #23527 on: December 03, 2019, 04:39:13 PM »

IMHO this is a great idea.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #23528 on: December 03, 2019, 04:44:28 PM »
BTW, these were not for credit courses offered to UK student athletes.  These were classes for all UK athletes as part of their summer strength and conditioning program.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #23529 on: December 03, 2019, 10:36:57 PM »

Yes, the leagues have been doing this for years.  Some of the better agents also offer this type of service.  Of course these classes are available at most high schools.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #23530 on: December 04, 2019, 06:21:59 AM »
Not a fan of taking a kid that has publicly said one and done.  I don’t believe, on the whole, there is a vested interest on their behalf to assimilate to the school, team, etc.  Some can do it, but seen too many where it becomes disruptive.

I hope that if he does come to MU it is with the absolute understanding you are a student athlete, you go to class, you are a teammate first second and third.

Agree that we shouldn't waste resources recruiting a "one and done."  Let's focus our efforts recruiting student athletes who want an education and will represent Marquette well like Markus Howard.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #23531 on: December 04, 2019, 06:39:39 AM »
Agree that we shouldn't waste resources recruiting a "one and done."  Let's focus our efforts recruiting student athletes who want an education and will represent Marquette well like Markus Howard.

Eh, I’d rather have had Tyler Herro for a year than Joey Hauser and see him representing Marquette in the association. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #23532 on: December 04, 2019, 06:56:04 AM »
If MH was a few inches taller he may have been a one and done.
Wouldn’t have been a waste.
These opportunities are few and far between....when they knock, you answer.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23533 on: December 04, 2019, 07:24:53 AM »

Yessir.

Of course, even this has a pragmatism quotient. You don't blow the entire recruiting budget to land a kid who is 95% likely to go to a blueblood and, even if you land him, will leave after 1 year.

But if an Ellenson or Mannion or Jalen Johnson is "reasonably gettable," absolutely, you go for him.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #23534 on: December 04, 2019, 07:32:59 AM »
Yessir.

Of course, even this has a pragmatism quotient. You don't blow the entire recruiting budget to land a kid who is 95% likely to go to a blueblood and, even if you land him, will leave after 1 year.

But if an Ellenson or Mannion or Jalen Johnson is "reasonably gettable," absolutely, you go for him.

You act as if there is a "budget". Money wise, the only department at a University that is allowed to completely ignore their budget and overspend as much as they wish is Athletics.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23535 on: December 04, 2019, 07:38:22 AM »
Woj has a blank check wen it cums ta recruitin' and xmas lights, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #23536 on: December 04, 2019, 07:52:04 AM »

Yeah.  Finding a 50-ish ranked guy who is going to be an All-American and stay for four years is an easy thing to do.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23537 on: December 04, 2019, 08:44:18 AM »
You act as if there is a "budget". Money wise, the only department at a University that is allowed to completely ignore their budget and overspend as much as they wish is Athletics.

Please provide evidence -- real data, hard numbers; not anecdotes -- that there is absolutely no ceiling to what our basketball program can spend.

Also, time is currency, too. If you "spend" too much of that on one recruit, it means less of that currency available to pursue others.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

war1980rior

• Team Captain
« Reply #23538 on: December 04, 2019, 09:26:57 AM »
Please provide evidence -- real data, hard numbers; not anecdotes -- that there is absolutely no ceiling to what our basketball program can spend.

Also, time is currency, too. If you "spend" too much of that on one recruit, it means less of that currency available to pursue others.

MU82 hit that on the head.  Time is the real currency.  The monetary budget would seem huge to most of us, but it's not unlimited.  Time is the real issue.  The stronger recruiters will use it if they have a shot.  Very little if not.  No matter what you do for a living, time is your biggest and most precious asset.  If the kid is worth your time, you'll find a way to recruit them.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #23539 on: December 04, 2019, 09:49:58 AM »

Perhaps I'm wrong - and apologies if I am - but haven't you consistently argued for the status quo when it comes to paying athletes or allowing them to profit off their likenesses because it would devastate many athletic departments financially?
How does that jibe with the notion that athletic departments can ignore budgets and overspend to their hearts' content?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23540 on: December 04, 2019, 10:29:23 AM »
MU82 hit that on the head.  Time is the real currency.  The monetary budget would seem huge to most of us, but it's not unlimited.  Time is the real issue.  The stronger recruiters will use it if they have a shot.  Very little if not.  No matter what you do for a living, time is your biggest and most precious asset.  If the kid is worth your time, you'll find a way to recruit them.

Yes but, its the head coach's job to determine whether he has a legitimate shot at landing a recruit. If so, at a program such as MU, there is no monetary budget. Any coaching applicant worth his salt would never take this job and have to work within a dollars and cents budget.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MuMark

• All American

DJO's Jaw

• All American
« Reply #23542 on: December 04, 2019, 01:42:08 PM »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #23543 on: December 04, 2019, 01:45:31 PM »
Whatever it originally said, it looks like the tweet was deleted

You need a special decoder ring to view it....

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #23544 on: December 04, 2019, 01:47:51 PM »
Whatever it originally said, it looks like the tweet was deleted
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/twitter-tuesday-j-t-thor-karim-mane-greg-brown

this was the link that was on the tweet

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #23545 on: December 04, 2019, 01:51:12 PM »
It said he was visiting Depaul this weekend......maybe he got the dates wrong or something....

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #23546 on: December 04, 2019, 01:51:34 PM »
If MH was a few inches taller he may have been a one and done.
Wouldn’t have been a waste.

As long as everyone is on board.  I don’t like the comparison to Herro because pretty much everyone on Kentucky, Duke, are one and done in their minds at least.  MU isn’t that way, so it is different when you have a team of guys there on a short tenure vs only one while the rest are committed multi year players.  Of course it can work, I am hopeful that everyone is singing off the same hymnal if it is to happen. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #23547 on: December 04, 2019, 02:38:01 PM »
As long as everyone is on board.  I don’t like the comparison to Herro because pretty much everyone on Kentucky, Duke, are one and done in their minds at least.  MU isn’t that way, so it is different when you have a team of guys there on a short tenure vs only one while the rest are committed multi year players.  Of course it can work, I am hopeful that everyone is singing off the same hymnal if it is to happen.

There is never a guarantee a player is going to be a one and done.  I do not believe the coaches at Kentucky thought Herro was a one and done.
He played his way to that situation, much like Ellenson.  Mane right now is a borderline first rounder,  maybe 2nd round.  Hopefully he would elevate his play at MU and become a high first rounder, if he does that, they maybe better next year.  Mane, Koby or Smyr, Bailey, Dawson and to
start Theo, but Justin Smith might come in and play right away, options to have.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #23548 on: December 04, 2019, 03:04:21 PM »
Assume you meant Justin Lewis?

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #23549 on: December 04, 2019, 03:11:37 PM »
Assume you meant Justin Lewis?

Yep, guess I was thinking about the kid at Illinois.