[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 11:16:57 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8337165 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 11/15/19
« Reply #23425 on: November 27, 2019, 10:26:43 AM »
Some college kids sometimes smoke pot.
Now that that's out of the way, let's get back to recruiting.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #23426 on: November 27, 2019, 10:26:51 AM »
This is/was not a new trend.

There were several known Warrior potheads when I was there from 78-82.

Oh my god kids smoked weed back in the day? That’s crazy
Bring back FFP!!!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23427 on: November 27, 2019, 10:38:55 AM »
Oh my god kids smoked weed back in the day? That’s crazy

Yep. Not sure how this became the weed thread. As Pakuni says ...

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #23428 on: November 27, 2019, 10:53:26 AM »

Honestly, scrap the annual meat-summit, and maybe Scoop needs a weed-summit to calm the nerves of some posters.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #23429 on: November 27, 2019, 10:57:52 AM »
Honestly, scrap the annual meat-summit, and maybe Scoop needs a weed-summit to calm the nerves of some posters.

Oh, I didn't realize the meat summit was about eating

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23431 on: November 27, 2019, 11:10:04 AM »
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/q-a-with-five-star-karim-mane-what-s-next-nba-or-college-

Could be lip service but at least right now he anticipates going to college. I gotta good feeling on this one. Mane would make this a very special class.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #23432 on: November 27, 2019, 11:24:33 AM »
Could be lip service but at least right now he anticipates going to college. I gotta good feeling on this one. Mane would make this a very special class.

I agree. I think that once again, it helps that we have been in on him early and that we have a visit scheduled. It sounds like he is leaning towards a year of college unless he magically jumps up the draft boards (which seems unlikely given that he was a late bloomer, but anything can happen).  The fact that he already knows of Dawson and the strength of our recruiting class, it seems he is at least attuned to our recruiting pitches.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #23433 on: November 27, 2019, 11:29:54 AM »

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #23434 on: November 27, 2019, 11:39:52 AM »
I agree. I think that once again, it helps that we have been in on him early and that we have a visit scheduled. It sounds like he is leaning towards a year of college unless he magically jumps up the draft boards (which seems unlikely given that he was a late bloomer, but anything can happen).  The fact that he already knows of Dawson and the strength of our recruiting class, it seems he is at least attuned to our recruiting pitches.

I have little doubt that he learned about Dawson and our recruiting class from our coaching staff.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #23435 on: November 27, 2019, 11:43:43 AM »
I have little doubt that he learned about Dawson and our recruiting class from our coaching staff.

Hopefully Dawson and the rest of the guys are recruiting him as well
Bring back FFP!!!

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #23436 on: November 27, 2019, 01:02:26 PM »
I know nothing about recruiting but I’d really like to see wojo take a trip to go see this kid personally at least once before Jan 4, and maybe once after.

I know we sent a few assistants this most recent trip, but he clearly mentioned he wants the head coach to make him a priority. I also know it’s mid season, but let Stan run a practice in December (a pretty slow month game wise) and head out to Canada to see the kid and make him believe that he’s your guy from day one.

He seems like he likes the idea of Marquette and the things the program is about. The fast paced play along with multiple skilled bigs to pass to and show off his overall game and the Markus sized hole at guard have to have MU in a good spot.

This is huge for Wojo. Play your cards right on this one and that class could change his career and Marquettes future for the better.

Ps: the tricky part to bringing these guys in on the visits has got to be getting the current players to fully buy in on selling the recruit. It’s gotta be hard for a guy like Greg Elliott to have given so much for the program and see a guy offered starters minutes at a guard position from day one. Any way you slice it that’s less PT for Greg (same as for Jamal with the three forwards/Dawson recruitment)

The staff seems like they have done a good job balancing these things with recruiting (way better than with the guys once they are here imo) so Im confident until I see otherwise

Sic em Woj!

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #23437 on: November 27, 2019, 01:30:55 PM »
I know nothing about recruiting but I’d really like to see wojo take a trip to go see this kid personally at least once before Jan 4, and maybe once after.

I know we sent a few assistants this most recent trip, but he clearly mentioned he wants the head coach to make him a priority. I also know it’s mid season, but let Stan run a practice in December (a pretty slow month game wise) and head out to Canada to see the kid and make him believe that he’s your guy from day one.

He seems like he likes the idea of Marquette and the things the program is about. The fast paced play along with multiple skilled bigs to pass to and show off his overall game and the Markus sized hole at guard have to have MU in a good spot.

This is huge for Wojo. Play your cards right on this one and that class could change his career and Marquettes future for the better.

Ps: the tricky part to bringing these guys in on the visits has got to be getting the current players to fully buy in on selling the recruit. It’s gotta be hard for a guy like Greg Elliott to have given so much for the program and see a guy offered starters minutes at a guard position from day one. Any way you slice it that’s less PT for Greg (same as for Jamal with the three forwards/Dawson recruitment)

The staff seems like they have done a good job balancing these things with recruiting (way better than with the guys once they are here imo) so Im confident until I see otherwise

Sic em Woj!

To your point, I recall reading that Wojo himself has been on a few visits over the summer to see Mane. I will try and corroborate later.

Edit: found it https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1179401428957306882

Marquette’s Steve Wojciechowski will be in today for Top-50 Canadian guard Karim Mane, a source told @Stockrisers. I’d expect Mane to speed up process and cut list soon.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 01:33:14 PM by JakeBarnes »
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23438 on: November 27, 2019, 01:36:29 PM »
I gotta good feeling on this one.

Time to change your name again!

#allbutdonedeal
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #23439 on: November 27, 2019, 02:38:04 PM »

Sic em Woj!

Agreed, feels like these late bloomers and/or guys with special circumstances surrounding their recruitment (Mane qualifies for both) are where we've made the most hay in the past. Wade, Crowder, Butler, DJO, Howard, Symir, etc. Adding a guy with Mane's mesurables and the exact skill set we'll need most next year to an already excellent class almost feels necessary to reach any sort of high end success in the short term, which could also have a path-dependency affect on the long term. Really hope we can land him.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #23440 on: November 27, 2019, 03:31:14 PM »
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/q-a-with-five-star-karim-mane-what-s-next-nba-or-college-

Going off his pace comment, here's how we stack up vs. other schools mentioned:

MU: Currently 115th fastest offensive pace this year, generally in the 60-100 range under Wojo
Michigan St.: Currently 53rd fastest, generally in the 100-150 range
Alabama: Currently 10th fastest, Buffalo was generally in the 5-40 range under Oats
DePaul: Currently 53rd fastest, generally in the 90-200 range under Leitao
Maryland: Currently 35th, generally in the 200-250 range over the last 5 years

*If he wants a fast-ish pace in a system where he'll be showcased and good complementary talent, he'll go to MU
*If he wants true pure speed, the keys to a budding regime from day 1, and maybe some warm weather coming from Canada, he'll go to Alabama
*If he wants a winning tradition with a legendary coach, he'll go to MSU
*Not sure what DePaul is doing on the list to be quite honest (not just taking a cheap shot, I just don't get it in terms of Leitao's pace & lack of any recent success)
*Maryland has likely already been ruled out with Turgeon's history, although it's a teenager so as always who knows, ha

I wonder if other major programs will swoop in once he makes his intentions abundantly clear too. I assume that will be the case. We're in a pretty good spot as it stands now though.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #23441 on: November 27, 2019, 04:06:42 PM »
Looks like this years squad needs to speed things up.

All the things that have been said about this squad are definitely way too judgmental at this stage, but that they haven’t been as entertaining as past squads is hard to debate

Hopefully Orlando will see the fellas having some fun again and running up and down the court entertaining the masses. A tournament win would be very nice for confidence and momentum

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #23442 on: November 29, 2019, 08:49:17 PM »
Looks like this years squad needs to speed things up.

All the things that have been said about this squad are definitely way too judgmental at this stage, but that they haven’t been as entertaining as past squads is hard to debate

Hopefully Orlando will see the fellas having some fun again and running up and down the court entertaining the masses. A tournament win would be very nice for confidence and momentum
bump. Looks like everyone was having fun today

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #23443 on: November 29, 2019, 08:58:01 PM »
Jabari Sibley commits to Ewing and Associates

https://mobile.twitter.com/sibley_jamari/status/1200524178119708684
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #23444 on: November 30, 2019, 08:50:58 AM »
Jabari Sibley commits to Ewing and Associates

https://mobile.twitter.com/sibley_jamari/status/1200524178119708684

Happy for him, tremendous institution and they seem to be on the rise on the court.  In regards to MU, i think we did just fine at the forward position during this recruiting cycle.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

TheTulsaWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #23445 on: November 30, 2019, 09:18:15 AM »
It would have been nice to have Sibley at Marquette but the way recruiting played out this cycle it wasn't in the cards.  Oso probably got that slot and looks to have a comparable to higher ceiling because of his passing and guard skills.  Lewis has more beef (stronger rebounder) and Garcia is more versatile.  Best of luck to Sibley. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #23446 on: November 30, 2019, 10:06:49 AM »
Relax, he is ours to lose.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #23447 on: November 30, 2019, 10:11:22 AM »
Relax, he is ours to lose.

Who are u talkin about , willis?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #23448 on: November 30, 2019, 11:31:11 AM »
Who are u talkin about , willis?

Please be Mane, please be Mane, please be Mane

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #23449 on: November 30, 2019, 01:43:54 PM »
KM