[Today at 09:41:55 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by cheebs09
[Today at 09:36:47 AM]

Pep Band/Cheerleaders by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:22:48 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Bob "Big Daddy" Wild
[Today at 08:40:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8336965 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Recruiting as of 11/15/19
« Reply #23325 on: November 21, 2019, 09:23:54 AM »
Interesting. Seems like Tyrese Hunter would be the same fit and he's right down the road?

At this point, you want as many irons in the fire as possible.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #23326 on: November 21, 2019, 09:23:58 AM »
Interesting. Seems like Tyrese Hunter would be the same fit and he's right down the road?
Never stop recruiting. 
Even if Hunter and Mitchell are roughly interchangeable at this point, what's not to say one levels off and the other makes a big jump this season?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #23327 on: November 21, 2019, 09:36:52 AM »
Agreed with you both on ABR mentality, I'm partial to bird in the hand with scenarios like this though. It would be a good way to jumpstart the 2021 class and Hunter seems like a guy that has a dream to be at MU. When all else appears equal, to me that's a huge needle mover. If there's one thing I trust this staff on it's roster construction though, and it's very early, so obviously will let it play out.

UNC Eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #23328 on: November 21, 2019, 10:31:45 AM »
Was very pumped up to see Marquette sign Dawson Garcia. Makes up for the bitter disappointment in losing out on RJ Davis.

Would be nice to sign up Karim Mane. However, if that is not possible, there may be a late bloomer  guard in the 2020 class available, or possibly someone who missed out on EYBL/UAA etc last summer due to injury. Sometimes those guys who come in at the end of the recruiting process can be diamonds in the rough.
UNC Grad MU Fan

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23329 on: November 21, 2019, 10:39:33 AM »
Agreed with you both on ABR mentality, I'm partial to bird in the hand with scenarios like this though. It would be a good way to jumpstart the 2021 class and Hunter seems like a guy that has a dream to be at MU. When all else appears equal, to me that's a huge needle mover. If there's one thing I trust this staff on it's roster construction though, and it's very early, so obviously will let it play out.

I agree with much of this.

However, the one thing I've never been big on has been holding a spot for a guy who might never go to MU or not going hard after a great player out of concern that it might turn off another recruit.

I remember some were worried that signing a couple of forwards could scare away Garcia. To me, if a player is that easily scared, he can go somewhere else. I am glad Wojo & Co were able to impress upon Garcia that just because we had Lewis and Oso, it didn't mean he would be less featured. That's a big part of recruiting. Cal, K and others who bring in boatloads of 5-stars year after year are great at it.

So I've got no problem with Wojo going after Mitchell and Hunter. And others, too!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #23330 on: November 21, 2019, 10:54:44 AM »
I hear ya, and I tend to appreciate "voice of reason/voice of caution" takes.

A couple points:

Let's not forget that Torrence was originally a 2020 4-star who reclassified and is considered to have very good upside. So even if no top guards are signed, next year's backcourt will include him, Elliott, McEwen and Akanno. It's not Steph & Klay, but I think it will be a pretty darn good college backcourt if Symir comes close to living up to his ranking. And I have confidence that Wojo will bring in a guard who will help, either via scholly or grad transfer.

Second, history has shown that even if the three freshman frontcourt players are good it's highly unlikely to mean a banner during their first year. As good as this class looks, it's not like one of the Duke or Kentucky 1-and-done classes or like the Fab Five.

For me, what it shows is that one of my main fears about the aftermath of Hausershima -- that the incident could make it difficult for Wojo to attract good recruits -- turned out to be unfounded. He has gotten some of the nation's best recruits to our campus, and has signed guys that were being courted by other fine programs.

I do not even know enough about these kids as high school players -- all the info I get about Garcia, Lewis and Oso is what I read here -- let alone how good they will be at the next level. So I also take a more cautious approach when it comes to putting sky-high expectations on 18-year-olds.

Having said all that, I am an optimist at heart, so I don't see how any of this can be anything but a positive. (And, despite you admitting to being a bit of a "negative Nancy," you didn't really say otherwise.)

When are u ever right??
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #23331 on: November 21, 2019, 11:48:33 AM »
Let's remember that they haven't offered Hunter yet........It could be they aren't sure on him?

They did however offer this kid yesterday.....https://twitter.com/theShowJLVargas/status/1197366015547469826?s=20

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23332 on: November 21, 2019, 12:11:17 PM »
Let's remember that they haven't offered Hunter yet........It could be they aren't sure on him?

They did however offer this kid yesterday.....https://twitter.com/theShowJLVargas/status/1197366015547469826?s=20

It could be as simple as they know he would commit if given an offer and they want to see who else they could potentially land. If they fill all three scholarships this season with multi-year players and there are no surprise defections (both big ifs), then they only have two scholarships to give in 2021. With guys like Kendall Brown (247C 5-star), DaRon Holmes (247 top 40), Micawber Etienne (247 top 65) all taking official visits and some other big names showing interest, you have to be conservative with those offers.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #23333 on: November 21, 2019, 12:13:12 PM »
Trejuan Holloman is one to keep an eye on in MN now that we have Garcia. He is a 2021 pg that we offered early.....I think they are buds but JB might now for sure.

Holloman is only a soph - 2022. Don’t know if they are pals. Hope they meet at State this year. Where the Trejuan recruiting goes may be dictated by where 2020 & 2021 recruiting goes

I would be ecstatic with Kendall Brown joining us in 2021
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23334 on: November 21, 2019, 12:43:26 PM »
When are u ever right??

Well, we all can't have your track record of perfect statements.

I mean, just the Purdue game thread during the first half shows off your incredible basketball acumen. Well done!

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #23335 on: November 21, 2019, 12:47:21 PM »
Dawson signing could help open the door with Suggs who has been pretty quiet. Dawson could also lead to us getting in the mix with Chet Holmgren.  We could have a monster lineup of :
Dawson
Oso
Justin
Holmgren
Suggs

4 switchable bigs and a monster size PG.

Size matters.

Hold on now, let's no get giddy, OR throw the entire current roster under the bus.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #23336 on: November 21, 2019, 01:19:48 PM »
Was very pumped up to see Marquette sign Dawson Garcia. Makes up for the bitter disappointment in losing out on RJ Davis.

Would be nice to sign up Karim Mane. However, if that is not possible, there may be a late bloomer  guard in the 2020 class available, or possibly someone who missed out on EYBL/UAA etc last summer due to injury. Sometimes those guys who come in at the end of the recruiting process can be diamonds in the rough.

Could u imagine if we had these three and RJ?, my oh my
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #23337 on: November 21, 2019, 03:39:01 PM »
The first thing that stands out when discussing Hunter and Washington is Washington is significantly taller/longer by several inches. It's a little bit like Caleb Love size vs RJ Davis size.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #23338 on: November 21, 2019, 04:07:27 PM »
https://247sports.com/Article/Maryland-basketball-recruiting-Terps-point-guard-target-update-136955879/

Don't have access but maybe someone who does could paraphrase and enlighten us....Is Ty Ty considering a reclass?

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #23339 on: November 21, 2019, 04:12:30 PM »
I have said numerous times that this years recruiting was more important to me than the success of the this years team. Still feel that way, but creating a winning culture in March this year would be a major step in the right direction. Wojo's honeymoon is over to me beginning with first day of practice next season. Hopefully the guys returning guys will have a taste of some success and it builds off itself. Truthfully, the ball is now 100% in Wojo's hands. Anxious to see if he sinks or swims.

Well, based on these cliches, it's clear Wojo won't sink.  Unless he lets the air get out of the ball.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #23340 on: November 21, 2019, 07:19:34 PM »
https://247sports.com/Article/Maryland-basketball-recruiting-Terps-point-guard-target-update-136955879/

Don't have access but maybe someone who does could paraphrase and enlighten us....Is Ty Ty considering a reclass?

Turgeon was really pressing him to reclassify and commit on his official visit but it sounds like he doesn’t want to reclassify. Or at least not to go to Maryland. He had a couple more visits set for Nevada and Santa Clara at the end of Oct/early Nov. More or less sounds to me like he’s waiting for more high majors to get involved. Had a comment about wanting to use all of his official visits.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #23341 on: November 21, 2019, 09:30:48 PM »
It is difficult to not but excited about the incoming class and I hope it meets the lofty expectations. It is now time for Wojo to mesh together a team and program and create a true winning culture. It really is time to start having real on court success. This season means little to me because of my thoughts of the overall team, but it would be a great start to make NCAA and pull off a win or two.

I have said numerous times that this years recruiting was more important to me than the success of the this years team. Still feel that way, but creating a winning culture in March this year would be a major step in the right direction. Wojo's honeymoon is over to me beginning with first day of practice next season. Hopefully the guys returning guys will have a taste of some success and it builds off itself. Truthfully, the ball is now 100% in Wojo's hands. Anxious to see if he sinks or swims.

I think this is the year we have to show an ability to win. Not next year. Everything is in our favor. We have an experienced team, a true superstar in Markus, A bunch of athletic kids and the Big East  is only going to get tougher next year with the addition of U Conn. No more wait till next year. The loss to Wisconsin was a loss to a rival in an away game. We should still be owning opponents at home and winning more than we lose in conference.

I recognize reality is Wojo got his job extended another year because of the recruiting class. He needed to deliver on the recruits and he did and still has more irons in the fire. However the fan base needs to keep demanding excellence on the court.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #23342 on: November 21, 2019, 09:35:28 PM »
Herman right

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23343 on: November 21, 2019, 09:47:31 PM »
I recognize reality is Wojo got his job extended another year because of the recruiting class.

Yes. So all of the "He has to win this year," with the implied "or else" from numerous Scoopers is meaningless.

Wojo's seat might as well have ice cubes.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #23344 on: November 21, 2019, 10:04:24 PM »
Yes. So all of the "He has to win this year," with the implied "or else" from numerous Scoopers is meaningless.

Wojo's seat might as well have ice cubes.

He doesn't need to win this year. But I expect the team to win this year!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23345 on: November 21, 2019, 10:11:21 PM »
He doesn't need to win this year. But I expect the team to win this year!

Fair.

But, then again, what if they fail to live up to your expectations? What will you do? Will you cancel your season tickets (if you have them)? Will you refuse to watch games on TV next season? Would you do either of those things despite the incoming recruiting class?

Or would you just be disappointed and a little less enthusiastic until they earn back your enthusiasm, and even more skeptical about Wojo's coaching ability?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #23346 on: November 21, 2019, 10:30:43 PM »
Have to think Marquette is going to sell itself as a premier landing spot for a grad transfer. Lotta minutes

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #23347 on: November 22, 2019, 12:43:10 AM »
Have to think Marquette is going to sell itself as a premier landing spot for a grad transfer. Lotta minutes

I'm assuming you must be talking backcourt.  I'm not sure that what you say is accurate with McEwan, Torrance and Elliot all coming back.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TheyWereCones

• Starter
« Reply #23348 on: November 22, 2019, 03:09:52 AM »
Plus Akanno.
Those could have been guests at her wedding.

vacinator

• Walk-On
« Reply #23349 on: November 22, 2019, 05:07:44 AM »
Is MU on any true 5s (players who can defend the 5). They have 2 on the roster this year (3 with Morrow - but undersized).   One next year and none besides Dawson after 2020. I love the Dawson add but I see him spending a lot of time outside of the paint