[Today at 03:29:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8337892 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 10/15/19
« Reply #21750 on: October 21, 2019, 10:55:01 PM »
My comments are not about RJ's ability.

Under the old Carolina approach where Roy focused on four year kids, I would say yes RJ would get a lot of opportunity.  His ability is real and that is why Marquette, Georgetown and Pitt went ga ga over him. 

Roy for competitive reasons, has embraced the one and done model. Look at who they are focusing on this year. He has also now embraced grad transfers with the success of Cam Johnson.

So the problem for RJ ( or any player of his rough ability level relative to the cant miss one and done types) is that every single year for the next 4 years he is going to have to compete for his job with a can't miss type recruit like a Cole Anthony. As it is RJ is coming into the class with Caleb Love, who can do everything RJ can do and is bigger and more athletic.

Finally consider the other guys on the UNC  roster already who are actually very solid players. Just becomes very hard to gain traction when you are  the 10th or 11th guy anywhere.

We'll see how it plays out. Don't think this kid stays at Chapel hill for 2 years of garbage time, let alone 4. Time will tell.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #21751 on: October 22, 2019, 01:56:00 AM »
Based off 247/Scout on original class

Wojo-
2020:
Justin Lewis- 76
Osasere ighadaro- 74
Symir Torrence- 51

2019:
Joey Hauser- 52

2017:
Markus Howard- 25

2016:
Sam Hauser-83
Brendan Bailey- 92

2015:
Henry Ellenson- 9
Haanif Cheatham- 75

2014:
Sandy Cohen- 76

Buzz-

2014:
Ahmed Hill- 62

2013:
Jajuan Johnson- 32
Deonte Burton- 50
Duane Wilson- 59

2012:
Steve Taylor Jr- 96

2011:
Juan Anderson- 70

2010:
Vander Blue- 28
Jamail Jones- 99

2009:
Junior Cadougan- 70
Jeronne Maymon- 72
Erik Williams- 90

Crean-

2006:
Lazar Hayward- 75

2005:
Dominic James- 51
Jerel McNeal- 71
Wesley Matthews- 85

2004:
Dameon Mason- 36

2002:
Steve Novak- 62

2001:
Travis Diener- 37, 48, 39, 55 depending ranking couldn't find scout/247

2000:
Odarty Blankson- Top 100 N/A Rank

Wonder how many Association minutes the 84 guys ranked ahead of Wes logged...
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21752 on: October 22, 2019, 06:15:48 AM »
Thanks for the list, we have had some highly ranked players here, hope we can add two more 4* in this class!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21753 on: October 22, 2019, 08:35:43 AM »
Looking at that list I think if Joey has held onto his initial ranking and Symir and Markus it'd be more noticeable that the recruiting did take a small step forward, maybe not to the level Guru was expecting but still a little bit.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Recruiting as of 9/15/19
« Reply #21754 on: October 22, 2019, 09:51:26 AM »
BS.

Enlightening.  What exactly did I say that was "BS"?  I'd love to hear some actual thoughts on the matter rather than the useless one-liners you're known for around here. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #21755 on: October 22, 2019, 09:58:25 AM »
Looking only at high school recruits gives you an incomplete picture. Traditional and graduate transfers (including Matt Carlino, Katin Reinhardt, Andrew Rowsey and Ed Morrow) have played just as a big of a role on the team as highly ranked prospects. That continues this year with Koby McEwen and Jayce Johnson.

Katin, BTW, was ranked #39 by 247Sports in the Class of 2012. He had offers from Arizona, Gonzaga, Florida and Kentucky, among others. Ed (#110) fell just outside the Top 100.

Koby and Jayce were both unranked coming out of high school. While a Top 50 ranked freshman guard or center may have greater potential down the road, I'll take Koby and Jayce on the court this season hands down. When it comes to experience, strength, maturity or skill, they're simply more developed as players.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21756 on: October 22, 2019, 10:12:30 AM »
Looking only at high school recruits gives you an incomplete picture. Traditional and graduate transfers (including Matt Carlino, Katin Reinhardt, Andrew Rowsey and Ed Morrow) have played just as a big of a role on the team as highly ranked prospects. That continues this year with Koby McEwen and Jayce Johnson.

Katin, BTW, was ranked #39 by 247Sports in the Class of 2012. He had offers from Arizona, Gonzaga, Florida and Kentucky, among others. Ed (#110) fell just outside the Top 100.

Koby and Jayce were both unranked coming out of high school. While a Top 50 ranked freshman guard or center may have greater potential down the road, I'll take Koby and Jayce on the court this season hands down. When it comes to experience, strength, maturity or skill, they're simply more developed as players.

Jayce was 87?

https://247sports.com/player/jayce-johnson-34073/

Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21757 on: October 22, 2019, 10:51:41 AM »

Yep, and obviously the same could be said (and more) of some of the non-prep talent Buzz brought in, especially Jae, Jimmy, DJO and Luke.

I get why folks don't include all of the above when talking about HS recruits, but I don't get why some are so easily willing to dismiss them as if transfers and JUCOs "don't count" on a coach's record when it comes to bringing in talent. I, for one, am very glad that Jae, Jimmy, DJO, Luke, Katin, Rowsey and Morrow are/were Warriors.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #21758 on: October 22, 2019, 10:56:32 AM »
Yep, and obviously the same could be said (and more) of some of the non-prep talent Buzz brought in, especially Jae, Jimmy, DJO and Luke.

I get why folks don't include all of the above when talking about HS recruits, but I don't get why some are so easily willing to dismiss them as if transfers and JUCOs "don't count" on a coach's record when it comes to bringing in talent. I, for one, am very glad that Jae, Jimmy, DJO, Luke, Katin, Rowsey and Morrow are/were Warriors.

+1 its about recruiting a team year in and year out.  There is no 'proper' way to win.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #21759 on: October 22, 2019, 11:03:43 AM »
Hopefully Davis was not the part of the good news Big Daddy shared a week or so ago. Hope BD can share some more info soon.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #21760 on: October 22, 2019, 11:05:42 AM »
Enlightening.  What exactly did I say that was "BS"?  I'd love to hear some actual thoughts on the matter rather than the useless one-liners you're known for around here.
I disagree with your negative comments about Marquette.  Wojo has proven to be a great recruiter.  Marquette is and has been an elite basketball school for more than 50 years with a long list of elite athletes and NBA stars.  Please don’t knock the program.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #21761 on: October 22, 2019, 11:12:09 AM »
Hopefully Davis was not the part of the good news Big Daddy shared a week or so ago. Hope BD can share some more info soon.

Here's what BD said:
"Good news coming. Not ready to prep yet, but soon.  Some times it is better to be the Hunter."

Reading between the lines, I'm guessing he's referring to Tyrese Hunter, who seems to be a top target for 2021.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #21762 on: October 22, 2019, 11:18:14 AM »
He also said this
"I think RJ and Dawson say yes."

So I guess he was right........RJ said Yes.......just not to MU.

Garcia TBD

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #21763 on: October 22, 2019, 11:31:56 AM »
I disagree with your negative comments about Marquette.  Wojo has proven to be a great recruiter.  Marquette is and has been an elite basketball school for more than 50 years with a long list of elite athletes and NBA stars.  Please don’t knock the program.

I am not "knocking the program".  I am an enormous fan of the program, literally have missed less than 5 games in the past decade, and regularly get a on a plane to go watch them in person in Milwaukee and on the road. 

That being said, I can also look at the program with a realistic view.  It is a very good program, but it is definitely not "elite". Buzz had it knocking on the door of elite, but we've obviously taken a step back since then having not won an NCAA game since 2013.  Wojo has done a good job recruiting - but he has failed to land any elite recruits since Markus, and when Markus reclassified, he was no longer "elite", though he obviously turned out to be one of the better college players in that class.  This isn't knocking the program - these are accurate observations and frankly, there is no reason for anyone to get defensive or butthurt about those comments. 

Can the program continue to grow and develop into a consistent top 25 type team?  Yah.  I think Wojo definitely has the ability to do that if he sticks around.  Things are pointed in the right direction.  But it also OK to take a step back and look at the program without your homer glasses on.   

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21764 on: October 22, 2019, 11:37:39 AM »
I am not "knocking the program".  I am an enormous fan of the program, literally have missed less than 5 games in the past decade, and regularly get a on a plane to go watch them in person in Milwaukee and on the road. 

That being said, I can also look at the program with a realistic view.  It is a very good program, but it is definitely not "elite". Buzz had it knocking on the door of elite, but we've obviously taken a step back since then having not won an NCAA game since 2013.  Wojo has done a good job recruiting - but he has failed to land any elite recruits since Markus, and when Markus reclassified, he was no longer "elite", though he obviously turned out to be one of the better college players in that class.  This isn't knocking the program - these are accurate observations and frankly, there is no reason for anyone to get defensive or butthurt about those comments. 

Can the program continue to grow and develop into a consistent top 25 type team?  Yah.  I think Wojo definitely has the ability to do that if he sticks around.  Things are pointed in the right direction.  But it also OK to take a step back and look at the program without your homer glasses on.

Joey was an elite recruit before he got injured. Wojos brought in three "elite recruits" based on ranking only two of them had statuses change that made it look otherwise
Maigh Eo for Sam

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #21765 on: October 22, 2019, 11:46:14 AM »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #21766 on: October 22, 2019, 12:11:16 PM »

Danny Green, Mario Chalmers, CJ Miles, Gerald Green, Monta Ellis, Lou Williams, and Josh McRoberts all were ranked ahead of Wes (all in the top 30) and all had roughly equivalent, if not slightly better NBA careers than Wes.  But there certainly aren't any major standouts or perennial All Stars from that class.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21767 on: October 22, 2019, 12:32:54 PM »
Danny Green, Mario Chalmers, CJ Miles, Gerald Green, Monta Ellis, Lou Williams, and Josh McRoberts all were ranked ahead of Wes (all in the top 30) and all had roughly equivalent, if not slightly better NBA careers than Wes.  But there certainly aren't any major standouts or perennial All Stars from that class.

PLAYER ........ PPG ... RPG ... APG ... FG% ... 3% ... eFG%
Matthews ..... 14 ...... 3 ........ 2 ..... 42.5 ... 38.2 ... 52.2
D. Green ...... 9 ........ 4 ........ 2 ..... 42.4 ... 40.4 ... 54.9
Chalmers ...... 9 ....... 3 ......... 4 ..... 41.7 ... 35.1 ... 49.8
Miles ........... 10 ...... 2 ......... 1 ..... 41.2 ... 35.9 ... 50.1
G. Green ...... 10 ...... 3 ......... 1 ..... 41.7 ... 36.1 ... 50.4
Ellis ............. 18 ...... 4 ......... 5 ..... 45.1 ... 41.3 ... 48.0
Williams ....... 14 ...... 2 ......... 3 ..... 42.1 ... 34.9 ... 48.2
McRoberts ..... 5 ....... 4 ......... 2 ..... 46.3 ... 34.0 ... 51.3

Aside from saying that McRoberts certainly isn't in the same league at Wes (or most of the others named), and Chalmers, Miles and G. Green also fell well short of what Wes has done, I'll let others look at the numbers and draw their own conclusions.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21768 on: October 22, 2019, 12:38:37 PM »

I'll be honest, I think the "Buzz had us knocking on the door of elite" line is one of the bigger myths that we tell ourselves. Buzz' best three years were 11 seed, 3 seed, 3 seed. It depends on your definition of elite....but I think most elite teams would consider that a pretty meh stretch and that was our peak. Then Blue declares unexpectedly and the whole house of cards comes crashing down. That's not what an almost elite program looks like to me. Don't get me wrong, I think if Blue and Buzz stayed, I liked the trajectory and could have maybe gotten there one day, I just don't think we were knocking on the door quite yet.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21769 on: October 22, 2019, 12:51:21 PM »
I'll be honest, I think the "Buzz had us knocking on the door of elite" line is one of the bigger myths that we tell ourselves. Buzz' best three years were 11 seed, 3 seed, 3 seed. It depends on your definition of elite....but I think most elite teams would consider that a pretty meh stretch and that was our peak. Then Blue declares unexpectedly and the whole house of cards comes crashing down. That's not what an almost elite program looks like to me. Don't get me wrong, I think if Blue and Buzz stayed, I liked the trajectory and could have maybe gotten there one day, I just don't think we were knocking on the door quite yet.

I think it's the feeling of where we were when DJ got injured combined with 12 & 13 combined with ignoring just how average 2011 was while still having tournament success.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #21770 on: October 22, 2019, 12:57:39 PM »

It think Buzz was excellent as balancing his classes so that the program momentum was building year to year. If he was as good at recruiting high school talent as he was JUCO, MU would have been elite.  But that all changed as we know at the end.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21771 on: October 22, 2019, 01:26:51 PM »

Yep. Also wonder how many association minutes the 200+ guys rated ahead of JFB and Jae logged...

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #21772 on: October 22, 2019, 01:50:56 PM »

Yah...I mean, I think we're on the same page.  The eight straight tourney appearances and some deep NCAA runs gets you kind of close to being an elite program, but still not there.  We have a LONGGGGGG way to go just to get back to that point.   

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #21773 on: October 22, 2019, 01:54:43 PM »
"..if he sticks around." In light of the recent extension, as modest as it was, I don't see MU firing Wojo soon. (disaster season or a scandal would be the only reason) 

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #21774 on: October 22, 2019, 01:58:50 PM »
I'll hold my thoughts on Wojo's future with the program for another thread.  This is supposed to be all about recruiting.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

feedback