[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8336342 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 9/15/19
« Reply #21450 on: October 18, 2019, 07:52:29 AM »
Power Forward Isaiah Todd will be deciding tonight between Michigan and Kansas. If he picks KU, no Brown-Ferguson for KU. If he picks Michigan, Brown-Ferguson still possibly in play for KU. They are recruiting two bigs and they were upfront with Brown-Ferguson saying if the other two commit first...

Brown-Ferguson recently visited Texas A&M last month and is visiting UConn this weekend.

Todd picked Michigan. KU is expected to still be recruiting Javonte along with MU and some others.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #21451 on: October 18, 2019, 07:57:27 AM »
Were you on the visits with him?
Only MUFINY is allowed--nay, required--to accompany recruits on visits, after spending extensive time with each of their families.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #21452 on: October 18, 2019, 08:16:39 AM »
?
Can I ask why do you think the "old guard" is happy when the current bball program/coach fail?

I won’t tie it to demographics but there is an element that doesn’t like Wojo. Never have and never will. They have tried in every way to blame him for everything and have stated he isn’t the right guy for the job because he can’t recruit, kids hate playing for him, can’t teach defense or offense, can’t make adjustments, etc. Each of these have been broken down and each year under Wojo the team and talent has gotten better. If Wojo starts to really get the recruits then the element will have to admit he might be the right guy though the will probably credit Stan. If Wojo is the right guy then it will prove this element doesn’t know what they are talking about. Instead of truly hoping Wojo succeeds and admitting they were wrong they are looking for reasons to grasp they were right which to them is more important than winning under Wojo.

Many have stated they want Wojo to do just good enough that another school takes him which is the new variant so they can say I don’t want MU to lose but I don’t want Wojo success either.

If Wojo misses on a recruit then it gives this element the opportunity to say “I am right.”  Makes them feel good about themselves.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21453 on: October 18, 2019, 08:22:48 AM »
 Well done.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21454 on: October 18, 2019, 08:26:12 AM »
As with most generalizations, this leads to flawed thinking. But yes, there is at least one frequent Scoop poster who seems to enjoy Wojo missing on recruits.

one or two that enjoys it and quite a few more that are in the camp of happy when he misses because it makes him less likely to succeed and happy when gets them because MU's more likely to succeed
Maigh Eo for Sam

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #21455 on: October 18, 2019, 08:27:22 AM »
Cade Cunningham and Bryce Thompson will complete their final visits this weekend, before making a decision in the coming weeks.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21456 on: October 18, 2019, 08:29:17 AM »
I won’t tie it to demographics but there is an element that doesn’t like Wojo. Never have and never will. They have tried in every way to blame him for everything and have stated he isn’t the right guy for the job because he can’t recruit, kids hate playing for him, can’t teach defense or offense, can’t make adjustments, etc. Each of these have been broken down and each year under Wojo the team and talent has gotten better. If Wojo starts to really get the recruits then the element will have to admit he might be the right guy though the will probably credit Stan. If Wojo is the right guy then it will prove this element doesn’t know what they are talking about. Instead of truly hoping Wojo succeeds and admitting they were wrong they are looking for reasons to grasp they were right which to them is more important than winning under Wojo.

Many have stated they want Wojo to do just good enough that another school takes him which is the new variant so they can say I don’t want MU to lose but I don’t want Wojo success either.

If Wojo misses on a recruit then it gives this element the opportunity to say “I am right.”  Makes them feel good about themselves.

This. And one of them should go drink a beer and eat some bread rather than rooting against the coach we have.
Maigh Eo for Sam

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #21457 on: October 18, 2019, 08:38:26 AM »
This. And one of them should go drink a beer and eat some bread rather than rooting against the coach we have.

The old guard should realize after 40 years, that the top recruits are not showing up at the front door anymore.  Al was charismatic, Wojo is not.
In getting 2 top 100 kids this year is outstanding, if he gets one more, to me that is amazing.  Wojo and group work hard to get kids to MU, signing kids up from all over the country is impressive.  The bigger issue is that MU or even Wisconsin have not been able to lock down kids from
the area.  That is to bad.  Al's biggest recruit that took him to the next level was Jim Chones.  Blue Bloods pick and get what they want. but they
all do not work out for them,  Grimes and Charles Mathews are perfect examples. They over recruit, they really do not care who is coming back,
they just go after the best kids.  Do not blame them, it is a one and done era.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21458 on: October 18, 2019, 08:47:04 AM »
The old guard should realize after 40 years, that the top recruits are not showing up at the front door anymore.  Al was charismatic, Wojo is not.
In getting 2 top 100 kids this year is outstanding, if he gets one more, to me that is amazing.  Wojo and group work hard to get kids to MU, signing kids up from all over the country is impressive.  The bigger issue is that MU or even Wisconsin have not been able to lock down kids from
the area.  That is to bad.  Al's biggest recruit that took him to the next level was Jim Chones.  Blue Bloods pick and get what they want. but they
all do not work out for them,  Grimes and Charles Mathews are perfect examples. They over recruit, they really do not care who is coming back,
they just go after the best kids.  Do not blame them, it is a one and done era.

I disagree about the area. What does that even mean in Milwaukee? Stephens point and Rice Lake are farther than Chicago. Heck Grand Rapids by boat is closer. It's nice to lock down your back yard but not necessary as the world is much bigger now.
Maigh Eo for Sam

milwaukee ex-pat

• Starter
« Reply #21459 on: October 18, 2019, 08:52:02 AM »
Corey Evans interviewing RJ.  Nothing especially new - thought it sounded good for Pitt if anything.
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/q-a-with-top-65-guard-rj-davis

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #21460 on: October 18, 2019, 08:55:15 AM »
I disagree about the area. What does that even mean in Milwaukee? Stephens point and Rice Lake are farther than Chicago. Heck Grand Rapids by boat is closer. It's nice to lock down your back yard but not necessary as the world is much bigger now.

I mean Milwaukee, when is the last time MU got a kid from the area?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #21461 on: October 18, 2019, 09:05:40 AM »
Corey Evans interviewing RJ.  Nothing especially new - thought it sounded good for Pitt if anything.

How did you read that thinking it was good for Pitt vs any of the others? All he did was answer specific questions as he has before. If anything the one thing that stood out in the piece which also was not new is that he said UNC is taking two guards not three guards. This of course is in reference to the multiple other guards they are recruiting in addition to Davis for one more spot. 

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #21462 on: October 18, 2019, 09:07:38 AM »
I thought it sounded positive for all four. None of the comments on the four schools stood out from the rest.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21463 on: October 18, 2019, 09:09:50 AM »
I mean Milwaukee, when is the last time MU got a kid from the area?

Who in the past few years would you have wanted? That was a realistic prospect as we all would've wanted Jalen Johnson etc
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21464 on: October 18, 2019, 09:10:50 AM »
Duane.  Deonte.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

milwaukee ex-pat

• Starter
« Reply #21465 on: October 18, 2019, 09:13:08 AM »
How did you read that thinking it was good for Pitt vs any of the others?  Well I qualified by saying "if anything"  FWIW I thought his comment: "He is a relationship kind of guy that likes to get to know his players a little better than others. slightly separated Pitt but that's just reading tea leaves - he stated he hasn't made up his mind yet so its still anybody's game as of this interview...

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #21466 on: October 18, 2019, 09:15:19 AM »
Duane.  Deonte.

Your right, unfortunately, Deonte transferred and Duane really did not play up to his potential, as he was hurt most of the time.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #21467 on: October 18, 2019, 09:16:22 AM »
Who in the past few years would you have wanted? That was a realistic prospect as we all would've wanted Jalen Johnson etc

Herro, Sibley, Johnson and Baldwin

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #21468 on: October 18, 2019, 09:20:16 AM »

I think this is very misguided about their sentiments. Not personally knowing any of them but others like them from their MU generation, they want Wojo to be successful more than most fans.

Yes, they have a short leash as they have seen a series of MU administrations fail (some miserably) with basketball, the school's lifeblood. Their patience is short based on experience bias.

This was a generation who built MU into what it is today, first with a national championship still talked about romantically in the national press (who btw, are/were represented by many MU alums from this era). They started the B&G fund whose original purpose was to charter and seed money for women's sports, they built The Al (and many new buildings on campus), paid to keep our coaches with successive raises when the university wouldn't, to not repeat what the MU Admins wouldn't with Al. 

Where their angst comes from is the erratic flubbing of the basketball program and university by various administrations. Don't pay Al, drop to D2, screw up coach hires, pass on the Big East, hire a piano player, not building a practice gym, drop the Warrior name that meant more to them socially than a stupid school cartoon mascot, have coaches come back every year looking for rewards they didn't earn, or administrations who wanted MU to be like SLU, ND and Georgetown so they messed with happy. 

They have been from the dump to the mountain top and back down again.  They are short on the excuses and high on the expectations. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 09:23:10 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #21469 on: October 18, 2019, 09:23:07 AM »
How did you read that thinking it was good for Pitt vs any of the others?  Well I qualified by saying "if anything"  FWIW I thought his comment: "He is a relationship kind of guy that likes to get to know his players a little better than others. slightly separated Pitt but that's just reading tea leaves - he stated he hasn't made up his mind yet so its still anybody's game as of this interview...

Was he asked a specific question about Wojo (or staff or team) in that interview? Nope. Would he have (he has before) said something similar about Wojo and or specific MU people, yep. 

As stated before, this is similar to Oso in the sense that Davis has a narrowed list, took his visits and within a few weeks will publicly decide. (even if he has made up his mind already)  Garcia decision will possibly not be all that different either, visit the remaining contenders, take a little time away from all the visits but not more than a few weeks and decide.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21470 on: October 18, 2019, 09:27:55 AM »
Maybe it shouldn't, but the fact that Corey Evans just did a 1 on 1 with Davis and still has Marquette on his futurecast makes me feel a little bit better. Not that it is gospel, but at least that he didn't seem to hear anything that made him think one of the other schools was in the lead.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #21471 on: October 18, 2019, 09:30:28 AM »
I think this is very misguided about their sentiments. Not personally knowing any of them but others like them from their MU generation, they want Wojo to be successful more than most fans.

Yes, they have a short leash as they have seen a series of MU administrations fail (some miserably) with basketball, the school's lifeblood. Their patience is short based on experience bias.

This was a generation who built MU into what it is today, first with a national championship still talked about romantically in the national press (who btw, are/were represented by many MU alums from this era). They started the B&G fund whose original purpose was to charter and seed money for women's sports, they built The Al (and many new buildings on campus), paid to keep our coaches with successive raises when the university wouldn't, to not repeat what the MU Admins wouldn't with Al. 

Where their angst comes from is the erratic flubbing of the basketball program and university by various administrations. Don't pay Al, drop to D2, screw up coach hires, pass on the Big East, hire a piano player, not building a practice gym, drop the Warrior name that meant more to them socially than a stupid school cartoon mascot, have coaches come back every year looking for rewards they didn't earn, or administrations who wanted MU to be like SLU, ND and Georgetown so they messed with happy. 

They have been from the dump to the mountain top and back down again.  They are short on the excuses and high on the expectations.

All good points.  Should have doubled Al's salary and he probably would not have left.  Al stated to me he should have not left after they won
the NCAA tournament.  I have always wondered if the tried to persuade him to comeback by doubling his salary? 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21472 on: October 18, 2019, 09:33:57 AM »

Herro has been explained ad nauseum Johnson and Baldwin were never realistic prospects for MU didn't sibley move away? We also got better recruits... how was locking him down going to help?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #21473 on: October 18, 2019, 09:36:58 AM »

Oso and Lewis are both better than Sibley.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #21474 on: October 18, 2019, 09:46:22 AM »
Were you o.n the visits with him?

There are other ways to confirm
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

feedback