[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8337961 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Recruiting as of 7/15/19
« Reply #19050 on: July 19, 2019, 08:06:42 PM »
Could the moderators please stop people from ruining the recruiting  thread?

If people want to argue about paying players and the wisdom or stupidity of drug legalization please start a different thread, take it to,the super bar or email each other directly.

Recruiting thread used to be the first I looked at every day. Getting harder to do that.

I appreciate you and a few others that try to keep it on subject.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Recruiting as of 6/15/19
« Reply #19051 on: July 19, 2019, 08:07:15 PM »
Actually, I don't think that Cal does need to cheat.  He's now at a school where the alumni know how to get the job done on the sly without any school involvement.

Maybe I should've said Kentucky. Maybe Cal is smart enough not to be on the phone call or not to have his assistants implicating him directly, but I've no doubt schools like Kentucky, Duke, and all the rest of the big boys are just as dirty as we now know Kansas, Louisville, and Arizona to be.

Though the evidence so far indicates the only coach that didn't know what was going on in his program was Pitino, because he was just clueless. Hard to imagine K and Cal are that ignorant.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 6/15/19
« Reply #19052 on: July 19, 2019, 08:10:46 PM »
Maybe I should've said Kentucky. Maybe Cal is smart enough not to be on the phone call or not to have his assistants implicating him directly, but I've no doubt schools like Kentucky, Duke, and all the rest of the big boys are just as dirty as we now know Kansas, Louisville, and Arizona to be.

Though the evidence so far indicates the only coach that didn't know what was going on in his program was Pitino, because he was just clueless. Hard to imagine K and Cal are that ignorant.

Exactly. When I say a school paid a player/recruit I don’t actually mean the head coach literally goes to an in home visit with stacks of cash to drop off for the kid. I just mean that the kid got paid to attend that school, whether it be by a shoe company or a rich alum or an assistant coach or a local business owner or funds were funneled into an AAU program.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 08:16:58 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muguru

• All American
« Reply #19053 on: July 19, 2019, 08:15:59 PM »
If I'm a current college Coach, and watching what happens at Kansas and Arizona from the FBI probe, and they don't get postseason bans(multiple IMO), then I'm asking myself why I'm not cheating . If they aren't going to hand out postseason bans, and it appears they aren't, and if Coaches are still going to keep their jobs(Self and Miller), then I'm going to start cheating too. Obviously there is no incentive not to if essentially nothing happens to these programs.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #19054 on: July 19, 2019, 08:18:48 PM »
I would expect nothing less from you Guru.
Remember it’s only cheating if you get caught.
MU overcorrected from the stink of the last coach to the shiny new coach.....so I’m sure admin is interested in your idea.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 08:21:18 PM by We R Final Four »

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #19055 on: July 19, 2019, 08:41:46 PM »
My apologies for taking a little detour with this thread but is it safe to assume that the 2020 BET will be from March 11-14?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #19056 on: July 19, 2019, 09:25:34 PM »
STOP Recruiting ONLY!!!
Goal is National Championship

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #19057 on: July 19, 2019, 09:34:37 PM »
Never stop recruiting!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #19058 on: July 19, 2019, 09:56:49 PM »
Why don’t one of you guys start a “cheating in college basketball” thread.

Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #19059 on: July 19, 2019, 10:13:15 PM »

Just a few thoughts on Justin Lewis:
-strong around the rim, offense and defense. Good touch with both hands. Makes strong moves from FT line and in. Very strong.
-average lateral quickness. Has good instincts that help to make up for it.
-adequate passer.
-good form on shot. Not sure what it means but his shooting numbers went up dramatically from EYBL play to the Peach Jam. 2pt 43% to 48%. FT 55% to 69% and 3pt 28% to 39%. Id take those peach Jam numbers all day. I think he’s got the potential to be an above average shooter.

If I had to give an MU comparison I’d say maybe Lazar? Or a less athletic Jimmy.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #19060 on: July 19, 2019, 10:27:46 PM »
-strong around the rim, offense and defense. Good touch with both hands. Makes strong moves from FT line and in. Very strong.
-adequate passer.
-good form on shot. Not sure what it means but his shooting numbers went up dramatically from EYBL play to the Peach Jam. 2pt 43% to 48%. FT 55% to 69% and 3pt 28% to 39%. Id take those peach Jam numbers all day. I think he’s got the potential to be an above average shooter.

If I had to give an MU comparison I’d say maybe Lazar? Or a less athletic Jimmy.

If Lewis can improve his shooting, I'd say Jamil Wilson with a little more of an edge.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #19061 on: July 19, 2019, 10:47:59 PM »
Is he good enough to give MU meaningful minutes in 2020?

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #19062 on: July 19, 2019, 11:17:31 PM »
Is he good enough to give MU meaningful minutes in 2020?

Absolutely. If you believe in recruiting rankings he’s right around Jerel McNeal/Haanif Cheatham. Higher than Sam Hauser and Brendan Bailey. He just seems like a Big East player to me honestly

muguru

• All American
« Reply #19063 on: July 19, 2019, 11:27:42 PM »
Absolutely. If you believe in recruiting rankings he’s right around Jerel McNeal/Haanif Cheatham. Higher than Sam Hauser and Brendan Bailey. He just seems like a Big East player to me honestly

I'm fine with Lewis but more as the 2nd or 3rd piece of the class, not the headliner...this class is VITALLY important to MU's future. Wojo has to get it right.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #19064 on: July 20, 2019, 12:09:30 PM »

If people want to argue about paying players and the wisdom or stupidity of drug legalization please start a different thread, take it to,the super bar or email each other directly.

Thank you Mark.  I've always appreciated your contribution here.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #19065 on: July 20, 2019, 12:26:22 PM »
-adequate passer.

He played in the Peach Invitational. 
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #19066 on: July 20, 2019, 01:01:00 PM »
DePaul picks up a let 2019 de-commit Big. Seem like there is some momentum building in Lincoln park

https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/07/15/western-kentucky-commit-flips-to-depaul-after-coaching-move/
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #19067 on: July 20, 2019, 03:27:51 PM »

Mark, I share your pain, but if you expect the mods to make posters stay on topic, they would all quit rapidly.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #19068 on: July 20, 2019, 04:05:10 PM »

I am not as high on recruiting rankings as much as seeing a player in person to see how good they are.  To many Top 100 kids that signed at
MU do not make the next step.  Sure Top 10 kids really are usually the deal, after that, time only tells.  A good example to me is, Jamari Sibley.
I have seen him a few times and not sure how he fits at the next level.  Athletic yes, but awful, skinny.  Hope he spends sometime in the weight room.  Todd Smith needs to get his hands on him .Reminds of Jamal Cains build, not sure if Jamal fits in even at MU.  Respectable freshman year, showed nothing but turnovers the last year.  Hope he worked on his handle this off season, plus his pathatic free throw shooting.  He might be a better 3 point shooter than a free throw shooter.  Athleticly threw the roof.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #19069 on: July 20, 2019, 04:24:07 PM »
Anyone who can throw a roof is strong enough to play at Marquette.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #19070 on: July 20, 2019, 06:17:41 PM »
He performed  well in the EYBL IIRC .............that is against top competition. The thing I like is he has a Big East body and has skill, athleticism and judging by his rebounding numbers.....some toughness......I think these are the kind of kids we need  to build around.

Wojo was at all of his games this spring/summer  ....he obviously thinks he can be a contributor right away.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #19071 on: July 20, 2019, 07:25:09 PM »
He performed  well in the EYBL IIRC .............that is against top competition. The thing I like is he has a Big East body and has skill, athleticism and judging by his rebounding numbers.....some toughness......I think these are the kind of kids we need  to build around.

Wojo was at all of his games this spring/summer  ....he obviously thinks he can be a contributor right away.

The problem however is if they don't develop into what the Coaches and others think they can/will be. That happens far too often. Not just at MU. If you have 4 guys like Lewis for example, that have a TON of potential but none of them reach it, then you have a bust of a class. That's why you don't want a guy like him to be the "headliner" of your class. Ideally you want to get a couple of better players(high(er) ranked kids) as your headliners that way if you do have a couple of kids that are more "potential" recruits than impact guys, and they fail to reach that potential, the impact of that is in theory lessoned by the two higher ranked, impact guys. It's playing with fire IMO.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #19072 on: July 20, 2019, 07:44:01 PM »
The problem however is if they don't develop into what the Coaches and others think they can/will be. That happens far too often. Not just at MU. If you have 4 guys like Lewis for example, that have a TON of potential but none of them reach it, then you have a bust of a class. That's why you don't want a guy like him to be the "headliner" of your class. Ideally you want to get a couple of better players(high(er) ranked kids) as your headliners that way if you do have a couple of kids that are more "potential" recruits than impact guys, and they fail to reach that potential, the impact of that is in theory lessoned by the two higher ranked, impact guys. It's playing with fire IMO.

I swear to god you act line the kid is some 2 star reach recruit........he is a very good player......you want guarantees......we aren't going to sign those kind of players very often......getting 4 stars like Lewis have been our bread and butter for a long time. If he was ranked 40-50 instead of 75-80 you would be thrilled.....yet there is little difference between recruits at that level......some will be great....some will be good......a few will bust......that's just how it is.

If that isn't good enough for you so be it........you really need to become a fan of a blue blood.......

Bottom line is if you sign 4 players and hit on 2 of them you are doing well.........if you hit on 3 it's a monster class.

Ps Virginia started recruiting Lewis after the last open period so did UCLA ....Maryland wants him......Purdue wants him.......I'f Tony Bennett likes him.....that's good enough for me.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #19073 on: July 20, 2019, 07:51:45 PM »
I swear to god you act line the kid is some 2 star reach recruit........he is a very good player......you want guarantees......we aren't going to sign those kind of players very often......getting 4 stars like Lewis have been our bread and butter for a long time. If he was ranked 40-50 instead of 75-80 you would be thrilled.....yet there is little difference between recruits at that level......some will be great....some will be good......a few will bust......that's just how it is.

If that isn't good enough for you so be it........you really need to become a fan of a blue blood.......

Bottom line is if you sign 4 players and hit on 2 of them you are doing well.........if you hit on 3 it's a monster class.

Ps Virginia started recruiting Lewis after the last open period so did UCLA ....Maryland wants him......Purdue wants him.......I'f Tony Bennett likes him.....that's good enough for me.

I have stated it before, I like Lewis, and would love to have him...but I would also like him to NOT be the headliner recruit. He's a fine player make no mistake about it, I'd just prefer they land a Suggs, or a Dawson or Burnett as the headliner in addition to Lewis.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #19074 on: July 20, 2019, 08:01:04 PM »
I have stated it before, I like Lewis, and would love to have him...but I would also like him to NOT be the headliner recruit. He's a fine player make no mistake about it, I'd just prefer they land a Suggs, or a Dawson or Burnett as the headliner in addition to Lewis.

So would Wojo.......you try to get them but know if you can't you need to get other good players......you saying how much you want Suggs or Garcia or Burnett in every thread that we talk about Lewis is annoying.

We get it.....you want them.....we all want them......if we get any of them we will all be thrilled......in the meantime I hope the experts are right on Lewis......