[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8338210 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 6/15/19
« Reply #18975 on: July 17, 2019, 11:03:22 PM »
Duke doesn't need to pay players, especially 1-and-dones.

But I do like the evidence-less accusations. They're good clean fun!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18976 on: July 18, 2019, 06:43:11 AM »

Look into Marvin Bagley’s financial situation prior to interest from Duke (see: filing for bankruptcy, having a family income of like $43K I think it was, not being able to keep a house in Arizona) to after drawing interest from Duke (hundreds of thousands of dollars going to his other-than-himself terrible AAU team, living in a California neighborhood where houses were worth an average of $2.5M).

Listen to the FBI wire taps from Kansas about what Zion was asking for. Takes some nativity to think he chose Duke for free but hey maybe!

Google Duke basketball and jewelry.

There’s plenty of evidence.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18977 on: July 18, 2019, 06:50:20 AM »
Naivete.  Nativity is something else entirely.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #18978 on: July 18, 2019, 08:39:00 AM »
Look into Marvin Bagley’s financial situation prior to interest from Duke (see: filing for bankruptcy, having a family income of like $43K I think it was, not being able to keep a house in Arizona) to after drawing interest from Duke (hundreds of thousands of dollars going to his other-than-himself terrible AAU team, living in a California neighborhood where houses were worth an average of $2.5M).

Listen to the FBI wire taps from Kansas about what Zion was asking for. Takes some nativity to think he chose Duke for free but hey maybe!

Google Duke basketball and jewelry.

There’s plenty of evidence.

Spot on World of Wade.

The evidence was overwhelming with Lance Thomas and over $100,000 of jewelry, yet the NCAA did nothing and elitist holier than thou Jay Bilas said nothing.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 09:02:35 AM by moomoo »
Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #18979 on: July 18, 2019, 08:57:02 AM »
Spot on World of Wade.

The evidence was overwhelming with Lance Thomas and over $100,000 of jewelry, yet the NCAA did nothing and elitist holier than though Jay Bilas said nothing.

Don’t worry. Billy and Cheeks say the NCAA is on the case of the current scandal to make it all good in the world.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18980 on: July 18, 2019, 09:01:58 AM »
Naivete.  Nativity is something else entirely.

Thanks.  I was pretty sure I had the wrong word but was on the phone and didn't want to use my thumbs to make sure I had the wrong word.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18981 on: July 18, 2019, 09:46:35 AM »

As wades points out, mountains and mountains of evidence. And the recent trials show that one-and-dones certainly do get paid, though the shoe companies and agents make some efforts to keep the universities clean.

I used to think that it likely never got close to people like K or Cal, but if Miller and Self were directly linked to payments on wiretap, I'm sure those guys have been just as involved. The only exception, it seems, was Pitino.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18982 on: July 18, 2019, 10:20:06 AM »
All righty. Maybe I was wrong. If so, wasn't the first and won't be the last.

Not seeing super-strong evidence there, but I've got no horse in the race. Like most non-Duke fans, I have no love of Duke.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18983 on: July 18, 2019, 10:30:06 AM »
All righty. Maybe I was wrong. If so, wasn't the first and won't be the last.

Not seeing super-strong evidence there, but I've got no horse in the race. Like most non-Duke fans, I have no love of Duke.

I think Zion is the absolute clincher. From the recordings, we know that Merl Code said Zion's family was looking for employment and at least six figures to go to Kansas. I also remember right after the commitment listening to an interview with one of the beat reporters that had stories ready to go on every school that was considered a possibility to land Zion. He said that he had stories ready to go for Clemson, South Carolina, Kansas, and Kentucky. Everyone that was remotely considered to have a shot, and he didn't have a story written for Duke.

So basically, the evidence strongly points to Zion's family looking for money, significant money being offered, and Duke not being involved heavily with the recruitment, and the kid picks Duke? It's kind of like when Pitino talked about Brian Bowen just falling into his lap. There's no way any rational person could conclude that was on the up and up.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18984 on: July 18, 2019, 11:21:16 AM »
I think Zion is the absolute clincher. From the recordings, we know that Merl Code said Zion's family was looking for employment and at least six figures to go to Kansas. I also remember right after the commitment listening to an interview with one of the beat reporters that had stories ready to go on every school that was considered a possibility to land Zion. He said that he had stories ready to go for Clemson, South Carolina, Kansas, and Kentucky. Everyone that was remotely considered to have a shot, and he didn't have a story written for Duke.

So basically, the evidence strongly points to Zion's family looking for money, significant money being offered, and Duke not being involved heavily with the recruitment, and the kid picks Duke? It's kind of like when Pitino talked about Brian Bowen just falling into his lap. There's no way any rational person could conclude that was on the up and up.

Again, they probably all cheat. Al almost surely did, and probably still would if he were coaching today. My post was that Duke doesn't need to cheat, and in general I think that's true.

If I'm wrong, I'll be interested in hearing the evidence at the trial.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #18985 on: July 18, 2019, 11:29:55 AM »
Al did cheat, so did John Wooden, in respect, the game is no different now. The big guys get away with it just like they do now.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18986 on: July 18, 2019, 11:51:14 AM »
My post was that Duke doesn't need to cheat, and in general I think that's true.

I don't think that's true for anyone. If Duke didn't need to cheat, recruits would go to Kentucky, Kansas, or Arizona. I laugh when people say Cal doesn't need to cheat despite a history of cheating surrounding him at UMass and Memphis.

I agree that they all cheat, but it's specifically because their peers are cheating too that they all need to cheat. This is why a legal compensation method needs to be in place. Because we know the cheating is going on, we know the NCAA is relatively toothless thanks to its members not really wanting harsh enforcement, and even the FBI doesn't seem to be able to go after the big fish.

Anyone that says they don't want a compensation method (profiting from likeness, direct pay, whatever) is really saying they want those cheating the system to win.

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #18987 on: July 18, 2019, 12:41:15 PM »
Evan Daniels with the Justin Lewis to MU prediction on Crystal Ball. That makes 6/6 for MU. Would be an incredible get to start the 2020 class

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #18988 on: July 18, 2019, 01:24:42 PM »
Evan Daniels with the Justin Lewis to MU prediction on Crystal Ball. That makes 6/6 for MU. Would be an incredible get to start the 2020 class

While the CB means nothing, good to see that he's hearing something at least that makes him feel this way. Andrew Slater followed suit putting it at 7/7
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #18989 on: July 18, 2019, 01:29:15 PM »
[/quote

Get Lewis and maybe another big then a big grad transfer and that would be a good year, sure a guard would be nice but not a necessary player

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #18990 on: July 18, 2019, 01:30:17 PM »
I agree with jay bee regarding cb but right now any good news on a recruit (no matter how meaningless) is better than bad news.  This class is crucial to MUs success moving forward. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18991 on: July 18, 2019, 06:19:48 PM »
Don’t worry. Billy and Cheeks say the NCAA is on the case of the current scandal to make it all good in the world.

I hear we are the same people....
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18992 on: July 18, 2019, 06:22:40 PM »
I don't think that's true for anyone. If Duke didn't need to cheat, recruits would go to Kentucky, Kansas, or Arizona. I laugh when people say Cal doesn't need to cheat despite a history of cheating surrounding him at UMass and Memphis.

I agree that they all cheat, but it's specifically because their peers are cheating too that they all need to cheat. This is why a legal compensation method needs to be in place. Because we know the cheating is going on, we know the NCAA is relatively toothless thanks to its members not really wanting harsh enforcement, and even the FBI doesn't seem to be able to go after the big fish.

Anyone that says they don't want a compensation method (profiting from likeness, direct pay, whatever) is really saying they want those cheating the system to win.

Ahh yes, because throwing money at them will solve the cheating.  Just like legalizing drugs, so the advocates claimed, would kill the black market....which of course it didn’t do at all.  Eliminate the market of corruption and it magically disappears.  LOL.

If you are going to cheat, you are going to cheat. 

Your last sentence is such a load of crap.  There are plenty of us that don’t want them compensated because it will mean a net loss opportunities for many young women and men as a result.  Aside from the fact that apparently since people can’t follow the rules we should just cave in and let the rule breakers dictate where things go. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 06:40:44 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18993 on: July 18, 2019, 06:24:48 PM »
Darlinstone picked up an offer from Wichita State.

https://twitter.com/__dstone/status/1151312114860154880

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18994 on: July 18, 2019, 07:59:20 PM »
Ahh yes, because throwing money at them will solve the cheating.  Just like legalizing drugs, so the advocates claimed, would kill the black market....which of course it didn’t do at all.  Eliminate the market of corruption and it magically disappears.  LOL.

LOL is right. Did they legalize heroin, cocaine, and other drugs and we all just missed it?

That said...you're predictable as hell. Cast the line and it's easy to catch a Chicos.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #18995 on: July 18, 2019, 08:07:11 PM »

If you are going to cheat, you are going to cheat. 

Your last sentence is such a load of crap.  There are plenty of us that don’t want them compensated because it will mean a net loss opportunities for many young women and men as a result.  Aside from the fact that apparently since people can’t follow the rules we should just cave in and let the rule breakers dictate where things go. 

I think the only time you care about giving people opportunity is when you can simultaneously use it as an excuse to underpay someone else.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #18996 on: July 18, 2019, 08:18:26 PM »

Circumstancial evidence is closer to conspiracy theory than it is to real evidence.

That being said, I’m not saying definitively that you are wrong as to the point you made. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18997 on: July 18, 2019, 08:24:21 PM »

Circumstancial evidence is closer to conspiracy theory than it is to real evidence.

That being said, I’m not saying definitively that you are wrong as to the point you made.

Not necessarily, Jockey. People are routinely convicted of heinous crimes on circumstantial evidence.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18998 on: July 18, 2019, 09:35:38 PM »
LOL is right. Did they legalize heroin, cocaine, and other drugs and we all just missed it?

That said...you're predictable as hell. Cast the line and it's easy to catch a Chicos.

The irony from you.

No, they didn’t legalize those...yet.  You miss the point, again.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18999 on: July 18, 2019, 09:39:47 PM »
I think the only time you care about giving people opportunity is when you can simultaneously use it as an excuse to underpay someone else.

They are compensated already and 99.9% of them getting more value then they give to the program. They come out way ahead, so your comment is false from the get go.  But I sure hope those Little Leaguers get paid that are on ESPN....and the high school athletes....Girl Scouts selling cookies....life lessons learned every day, but the man is keeping them down apparently.  What a tragedy.