[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8337227 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 6/15/19
« Reply #18325 on: June 24, 2019, 04:43:16 PM »

When people say or give credit for "trying", it's like giving an "A" for effort, a gold star, or...like awarding everyone a medal, because well...they gave their best effort. You play to win the game...
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18326 on: June 24, 2019, 04:49:08 PM »
guru:

1. What do you suggest Wojo do then?

2. What do you think you or any other Scooper can do about it?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #18327 on: June 24, 2019, 04:54:16 PM »
It’s so bad you are being mocked, but ok.  Similar to your Deane comparison to Wojo and other nonsense.  You are on a roll, don’t let me stop you big guy.

It is spot on...absolutely spot on. The thing I have noticed about a lot of people on this board and believe me, I see it in game threads, post game threads, all over..people are too willing to say "well, they played hard, they tried etc, gave great effort". That's a good thing, but that is EXACTLY what you are supposed to do, give your best effort. It's like people here think though, that that's what matters more than winning or losing. If winning doesn't matter, why do they keep score?? Sure, you have to try to land a recruit, to actually land one...no one has said differently, but people talk like that's...a big deal. They want to give Wojo(or any Coach) a ton of credit for trying, staying in it that long, etc. What else would you expect Wojo(or any Coach to do)?? You HAVE to try for the elite recruits, that's his job...he'd be doing MU and the program a disservice if he didn't..He's not the Coach at Wofford.

But again...in the end, if you don't land the recruit...what did it get you?? An A for effort by most I guess. You play a game, you're in it the whole way, your effort has been top notch, but in the end, you lose 81-79. Close, but still a loss. For some weird reason this board is particularly fond it seems, of giving great effort, and if you come up short, it sucks, but you tried. That's what our society has come too..effort is more important, then the final result. I will never understand that mentality...ever. I didn't get it when I was younger and playing sports, and I don't get it now that I'm older. To be honest, when I played, I took no consolation in competing as hard as i could, and still coming up short. I still lost.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #18328 on: June 24, 2019, 04:58:07 PM »
guru:

1. What do you suggest Wojo do then?

2. What do you think you or any other Scooper can do about it?

1. Please don't think I am blaming Wojo for it, a lot of times it's out of his control. But the point still stands, it sucks, because at some point you want to see him land some of those kids(see, that's not rooting for him to fail, that's rooting for him to succeed), because THAT more than anything else(in my opinion), would elevate the program quicker than any other way, top notch talent. Obviously you aren't going to be loaded with top notch talent, but I don't think it's lost on anyone either as to what even ONE stud recruit can do for your program, imagine if any other program(not bluebood), landed Zion. Wouldn't that have elevated their program instantly??

2. Nothing anyone here can do about it

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #18329 on: June 24, 2019, 05:16:21 PM »
Can we please reopen the guru thread? Let's just call it the Thread for MU Hoops Gurus (and their followers).

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #18330 on: June 24, 2019, 05:31:08 PM »
herein lies the problem with the meat eater bros of muscoop.  when a blue chip recruit like jalen suggs says that marquette along with 2 other schools are the front runners for him, or when a guy like nico mannion tweets hes down to 2 schools in mu and arizona, muscoopers share this information.  then muscoopers, rightfully, get excited about the possibility of a complete stud picking marquette over a number of blue blood programs.  not ONE person suggests that someone is a lock for marquette or that marquette got any sort of verbal commitment, just sharing what recruits literally are telling us and some excitement about it, all while knowing that beating out a blue blood is still going to be tough.  while this is going on all the meat eaters are silently sitting around just waiting to pounce, reading the shared tweets of the recruits themselves as scoopers claiming they have inside information on a kid committing to marquette.  and then when the blue blood wins out we get the condescending passive aggressive bs from the meat eaters, at which point the "slurpers" question why the meat eaters are so excited about marquette losing out on what wouldve been a ginormous get for the program which leads you to wonder if theyd rather see wojo, and thus marquette, lose because, well, it certainly seems that way.  and then the meat eaters get all defensive and play the victim card talking about how they were fans back when marquette were the warriors and the seats were full of real fans and al was allowed to be al and everyone is so soft now and how many miles they can hike with backpacks full of weights or miles they can swim or how tiny they make theo john look.

its tired.  its old.  and its sad.  but it certainly wont change.

ill take this all back if you can find one single post that says "marquette is going to land dawson garcia."  just one.

This is spot on.  Sums up everything perfectly.  You’ve read the meat eaters like a book.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18331 on: June 24, 2019, 05:40:48 PM »
1. Please don't think I am blaming Wojo for it, a lot of times it's out of his control. But the point still stands, it sucks, because at some point you want to see him land some of those kids(see, that's not rooting for him to fail, that's rooting for him to succeed), because THAT more than anything else(in my opinion), would elevate the program quicker than any other way, top notch talent. Obviously you aren't going to be loaded with top notch talent, but I don't think it's lost on anyone either as to what even ONE stud recruit can do for your program, imagine if any other program(not bluebood), landed Zion. Wouldn't that have elevated their program instantly??

2. Nothing anyone here can do about it

1. He landed a 5-star Burger Boy, a top-40 whom bluebloods recruited hard, a 4-star who very well might have been a 5-star had he reclassified earlier and is now a 25 ppg All-American, a 4-star who is the son of a 12-year NBA veteran, a 4-star who just reclassified so he can attend MU this coming season, a 3-star who turned out to be much better than most (expecially Bo) expected, several solid 3-star role players, a grad transfer who made a significant impact on an NCAA tournament team, another grad transfer who led Marquette in scoring, two traditional transfers who played key roles on NCAA tournament teams, and another transfer who is expected to be one of the best players on a tourney team in 2019-20. And he did that all in 5 years. So the suggestions that he hasn't landed anybody good ... silliness. Obviously, Scoopers are allowed to be "disappointed" in his recruiting to date; it's fun to think we should be landing nothing but 5-stars and 4-stars. It's not realistic based on the last 30+ years of Marquette basketball, but it's fun.

2. Correct.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #18332 on: June 24, 2019, 05:56:33 PM »
1. He landed a 5-star Burger Boy, a top-40 whom bluebloods recruited hard, a 4-star who very well might have been a 5-star had he reclassified earlier and is now a 25 ppg All-American, a 4-star who is the son of a 12-year NBA veteran, a 4-star who just reclassified so he can attend MU this coming season, a 3-star who turned out to be much better than most (expecially Bo) expected, several solid 3-star role players, a grad transfer who made a significant impact on an NCAA tournament team, another grad transfer who led Marquette in scoring, two traditional transfers who played key roles on NCAA tournament teams, and another transfer who is expected to be one of the best players on a tourney team in 2019-20. And he did that all in 5 years. So the suggestions that he hasn't landed anybody good ... silliness. Obviously, Scoopers are allowed to be "disappointed" in his recruiting to date; it's fun to think we should be landing nothing but 5-stars and 4-stars. It's not realistic based on the last 30+ years of Marquette basketball, but it's fun.

For one thing, I don't count transfers as "recruits" in my example. I'm talking purely straight out of HS recruits. he has done a great job with grad transfers(with the exception of Chartouny). And I never said he hasn't landed anyone good..in fact i have said that to date it has been okay/good, I personally just thought it would be better to this point. That's not necessarily an indictment on Wojo as much as it is me obviously overrating him as a recruiter...I based it on his reputation as one.

As far as landing nothing but 5 stars and 4 stars...Not even I believe/think that's possible, but..I would prefer he avoid the 3 stars AS MUCH as possible. Some will develop to be more than you imagined, some won't. But, the truth is, TYPICALLY speaking, the higher up the recruiting rankings you go(no matter what star they are), the BETTER(not guaranteed) chance you have of not getting a bust, or someone that doesn't develop as you expected him to.

It hasn't been that way in 30 years of MU basketball, that would be correct, but in this instance from purely a recruiting standpoint, I thought Wojo more so than any other Coach they have had in that time, would bring the recruiting closer to that level(and quickly), than any other Coach MU has had in that span. that's how much credit I was giving him for his recruiting ability. I think/thought he was THAT good in that area.

2. Correct.

For one thing, I don't count transfers as "recruits" in my example. I'm talking purely straight out of HS recruits. he has done a great job with grad transfers(with the exception of Chartouny). And I never said he hasn't landed anyone good..in fact i have said that to date it has been okay/good, I personally just thought it would be better to this point. That's not necessarily an indictment on Wojo as much as it is me obviously overrating him as a recruiter...I based it on his reputation as one.

As far as landing nothing but 5 stars and 4 stars...Not even I believe/think that's possible, but..I would prefer he avoid the 3 stars AS MUCH as possible. Some will develop to be more than you imagined, some won't. But, the truth is, TYPICALLY speaking, the higher up the recruiting rankings you go(no matter what star they are), the BETTER(not guaranteed) chance you have of not getting a bust, or someone that doesn't develop as you expected him to.

It hasn't been that way in 30 years of MU basketball, that would be correct, but in this instance from purely a recruiting standpoint, I thought Wojo more so than any other Coach they have had in that time, would bring the recruiting closer to that level(and quickly), than any other Coach MU has had in that span. that's how much credit I was giving him for his recruiting ability. I think/thought he was THAT good in that area.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 06:18:41 PM by muguru »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #18333 on: June 24, 2019, 06:06:49 PM »
Can guru be banned from this thread if not all of Scoop?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18334 on: June 24, 2019, 06:07:34 PM »
It is spot on...absolutely spot on. The thing I have noticed about a lot of people on this board and believe me, I see it in game threads, post game threads, all over..people are too willing to say "well, they played hard, they tried etc, gave great effort". That's a good thing, but that is EXACTLY what you are supposed to do, give your best effort. It's like people here think though, that that's what matters more than winning or losing. If winning doesn't matter, why do they keep score?? Sure, you have to try to land a recruit, to actually land one...no one has said differently, but people talk like that's...a big deal. They want to give Wojo(or any Coach) a ton of credit for trying, staying in it that long, etc. What else would you expect Wojo(or any Coach to do)?? You HAVE to try for the elite recruits, that's his job...he'd be doing MU and the program a disservice if he didn't..He's not the Coach at Wofford.

But again...in the end, if you don't land the recruit...what did it get you?? An A for effort by most I guess. You play a game, you're in it the whole way, your effort has been top notch, but in the end, you lose 81-79. Close, but still a loss. For some weird reason this board is particularly fond it seems, of giving great effort, and if you come up short, it sucks, but you tried. That's what our society has come too..effort is more important, then the final result. I will never understand that mentality...ever. I didn't get it when I was younger and playing sports, and I don't get it now that I'm older. To be honest, when I played, I took no consolation in competing as hard as i could, and still coming up short. I still lost.
In games,  I agree with you trying hard and losing is still losing.

In recruiting, trying hard is actually rewarded. Sometimes directly , sometimes indirectly. For example , we worked on about five other guys like Jordan Nwora, Hasahn French etc in that  up state New York New England prep environment which eventually led us to Symir. Symir is the 4 star type we are seeking.  As much as I think Wojo is the wrong guy, I give credit to him and the team for executing the process correctly to get the 4 stars that we can actually get on campus.

What has to happen now is for a couple of the guys we recruit to take off and go to the next level while they are on our roster.   
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #18335 on: June 24, 2019, 06:08:45 PM »
Let's say you were chasing after/pursuing your favorite celebrity crush..she likes you, but you aren't the only "offer" she has on the table. You have put in the work, pursuing her etc. This is a top level talent you are pursuing here....but, in the end, despite your best efforts, she chooses someone else..where did that get you?? Only one guy can say he landed her, and he's celebrating. Meanwhile, you(and the others that were chasing her for so long), came up empty handed, and now you have to go to your "fall back" option which is nowhere near as attractive as the celebrity you were just pursuing...basically you ended up having to "settle". What did chasing that celebrity crush for so long end up getting you?? Pretty much nothing, and in the end, because you didn't end up with her, all the pursuing you did meant absolutely nothing, other then you did end up with someone...the girl any average Joe could have, but she chose you because you were her best offer.

You're such an entitled child, you don't even see it.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #18336 on: June 24, 2019, 06:19:51 PM »

For what, exactly?? I have done nothing wrong. Or is it because I'm not talking about the other 1,0000 things that is going on right now with MU BB??

Ben Golds Five

• Starter
« Reply #18337 on: June 24, 2019, 06:21:00 PM »
This

muguru

• All American
« Reply #18338 on: June 24, 2019, 06:22:00 PM »
You're such an entitled child, you don't even see it.

Wrong and wrong..NOT a child(probably older than you are), and NOT entitled. You want to call me impatient, by all means...go right ahead. I am 100% probably the most impatient person with EVERYTHING in the entire world. I fully admit that.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #18339 on: June 24, 2019, 06:23:28 PM »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #18340 on: June 24, 2019, 06:38:57 PM »
Ban me for what exactly??

Glow and a couple others have tried to keep this thread in line. Can't you just let that happen?

You have become incredibly tiresome. Please stay out of the recruiting thread so the rest of us can enjoy it once again. 

« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 06:42:46 PM by Jockey »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18341 on: June 24, 2019, 06:39:53 PM »
Let's say you were chasing after/pursuing your favorite celebrity crush..

Good god the recruiting thread has devolved to my odds of hooking up with Jessica Nigri.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #18342 on: June 24, 2019, 06:40:08 PM »
Wrong and wrong..NOT a child(probably older than you are), and NOT entitled. You want to call me impatient, by all means...go right ahead. I am 100% probably the most impatient person with EVERYTHING in the entire world. I fully admit that.

You are literally the real life version of Veruca Salt. 

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #18343 on: June 24, 2019, 06:42:21 PM »
Do you realize how tiresome you have become? And, how almost everyone here is tired of you destroying thread after thread?

Dignity is a good thing.

Sometime so is Underkill.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

muguru

• All American
« Reply #18344 on: June 24, 2019, 06:43:20 PM »
Do you realize how tiresome you have become? And, how almost everyone here is tired of you destroying thread after thread?

Dignity is a good thing.

Well, if you'd like to talk about the many many many other things going on with MU hoops right now, I'm more than happy too. All my posts in this thread ARE recruiting related. Do you realize how tiresome it has become for me when people go on the attack of me as soon as I post something?? Do you also realize how tiresome it is for me, dealing with the myriad of people that have blinders on, and are satisfied with a Dayton level program(they can claim they don't, but read some of their posts, it's telling)?? When that changes, or when MU wins their next National Championship, I will be done posting, sound good??

muguru

• All American
« Reply #18345 on: June 24, 2019, 06:44:35 PM »
Glow and a couple others have tried to keep this thread in line. Can't you just let that happen?

You have become incredibly tiresome. Please stay out of the recruiting thread so the rest of us can enjoy it once again.

Fair enough, you have convinced me, you can all discuss the recruit(s) MU have recently landed for 2020. I guess it's okay though to discuss the idea that Dainja took $$ to go to Baylor?? That's recruiting related, for sure, right??
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 06:47:14 PM by muguru »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #18346 on: June 24, 2019, 07:06:22 PM »
TAMU
Back in early March there were multiple posts on the topic, including several poster sharing a recruiting service calling MU. Tower had post with the two MN studs on roster projections for 2020-21 season. Another poster even gave them a nickname.

As I have said multiple times, I do not follow recruiting closely because too many moving pieces. That said, the 2020 class has been a rally cry for many in here.

I am disappointed because I actually was very excited based off what I read on here. I am glad Wojo chases the big boys. My disappointment is my getting excited, not that Wojo did not land him.

Again, there is not a doubt in my mind there were folks on here very confident on landing Garcia.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 07:18:07 PM by Goose »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18347 on: June 24, 2019, 07:14:40 PM »
Well, if you'd like to talk about the many many many other things going on with MU hoops right now, I'm more than happy too. All my posts in this thread ARE recruiting related. Do you realize how tiresome it has become for me when people go on the attack of me as soon as I post something?? Do you also realize how tiresome it is for me, dealing with the myriad of people that have blinders on, and are satisfied with a Dayton level program(they can claim they don't, but read some of their posts, it's telling)?? When that changes, or when MU wins their next National Championship, I will be done posting, sound good??
You are one of the best posters we have. I  enjoy your posts and insights tremendously.

The beauty of MU basketball is that the fan base is engaged and eventually the administration will get the message . Right now, the bromance is still alive and the new arena came when we had a decent team, so the butts are in the seats. So unfortunately we are stuck with Wojo for a while. Hopefully the 2020 class will end up solid. 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #18348 on: June 24, 2019, 07:19:12 PM »
Both Garcia and Dainja were Mark Miller Crystal Ball (cristel bowel?) picks to come to MU. Mark is an alleged expert/insider so that would explain some of the optimism re both in recent months.

Dainja is now lost and Dawson is flirting with UK and KU. Disappointing.

In short, it looked like the 2020 class might be headed by a 5* PF and a 4.5* C. Not so much anymore.

Remember, the cristal bowel is a marketing tool. Don't latch onto it or take it to have any significant, non-public info/meaning behind it.

Dawson has always been the key between those two and we're still in on him. If he goes to school elsewhere, I'll be a little bummed, but still thankful for where we've gotten with him. Should be celebrated, imo. (PS-don't forget UNC and Duke, among others).

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #18349 on: June 24, 2019, 07:29:51 PM »
Please.

feedback