Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8339717 times)

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 4/15/19
« Reply #17475 on: May 15, 2019, 10:31:00 AM »
TAMU

I have learned that I need to use words/terms wisely on this site. By lock, I meant there appeared to be a very high level of confidence from many posters that Dawson would be part of the 2020 class. Admittedly, I do not follow recruiting nearly as closely as many on here, and that name has been frequently linked to MU by many.

The kid looks like a player and I hope we land him. He would be a major upgrade over the current big guys.

Wishful thinking would prolly be a more applicable term.  My guess is  many of the fans on web sites felt the same way when he made campus visits and said glowing things about their schools, as well.  Come on Goose, did u just fall off the turnip truck?? A 16 year old visits a year before signing date and says good things?!?! Sure sounds like we are in the mix, but a lock or a near commitment?? I think most of us have been around long enough not to get too excited until the ink dries.

Bad post goose, bad post
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17476 on: May 15, 2019, 10:45:58 AM »
Sandy

His name has noted/mentioned dozens of times as one of Wojo's main targets. To your point, after watching and reading about him, Wojo likely misses out on this one. You are correct.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 11:06:09 AM by Goose »

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #17477 on: May 15, 2019, 10:47:02 AM »
Sandy

His name has noted/mentioned dozens of times as one of Wojo's main targets. To your point, after watching and reading about him, Wojo likes misses out on this one. You are correct.

Mentioned as a main target = he is ours to lose. Got it.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17478 on: May 15, 2019, 10:51:33 AM »
Kampus

As I said a couple of posts ago, I do not follow recruiting all that closely. So, you are saying Dawson is ours to lose? Ours to lose, in my world, is pretty close to a lock.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #17479 on: May 15, 2019, 11:11:37 AM »
Kampus

As I said a couple of posts ago, I do not follow recruiting all that closely. So, you are saying Dawson is ours to lose? Ours to lose, in my world, is pretty close to a lock.

You first said you thought he was "pretty much of lock"

Then you backpedaled and said that many on here have a "very high level of confidence" we will land him (which you are making up)

Then you pedal even further back and say that he has been mentioned as a main target dozens of times. You finally got it right. He's our target, but we have no indication that we're a front runner.

My post was mainly trying to convey the difference between where you started and where you ended up in a matter of 3 posts. I do not believe he is ours to lose, nor do I believe he ends up at MU.

By all accounts his recruiting is wide open. Seems to me you want people to believe that recruits are "locks" so that you can turn it around on Wojo and his supporters when they don't come to MU. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting, but that would certainly fit your agenda.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #17480 on: May 15, 2019, 11:26:42 AM »
So like....are we going to burn 2 scholarships this year?  I hate that sh*t. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #17481 on: May 15, 2019, 11:33:36 AM »

Then you backpedaled and said that many on here have a "very high level of confidence" we will land him (which you are making up)

Then you pedal even further back and say that he has been mentioned as a main target dozens of times. You finally got it right. He's our target, but we have no indication that we're a front runner.

My post was mainly trying to convey the difference between where you started and where you ended up in a matter of 3 posts. I do not believe he is ours to lose, nor do I believe he ends up at MU.

By all accounts his recruiting is wide open. Seems to me you want people to believe that recruits are "locks" so that you can turn it around on Wojo and his supporters when they don't come to MU. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting, but that would certainly fit your agenda.

I haven't posted many comments in awhile, so I just had to say your post was tremendous. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17482 on: May 15, 2019, 11:36:33 AM »
kampus

How can I backpedal on a question? I have zero interest in digging into a 700 page thread, but I know his name has been linked heavily to MU from many on here, with him being a big piece of the 2020 class. Not sure what your point is, I want the kid and simply asked TAMU if he had any insight. Got it?

FYI--you have no idea on my agenda. I want Wojo/MU to win. The fact that I think he has been a bust thus far has nothing to do with the future. He is going nowhere, and I have said numerous times that I do believe he might be able to recruit at high level. Seriously, worry about your own fxxkin agenda.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 11:50:34 AM by Goose »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #17483 on: May 15, 2019, 11:37:57 AM »
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #17484 on: May 15, 2019, 11:40:19 AM »
So like....are we going to burn 2 scholarships this year?  I hate that sh*t. 

So you think we should add the equivalent of walk ons for the sake of filling scholarships?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #17485 on: May 15, 2019, 12:17:14 PM »
Goose... quit while ur behind.  Ur contadictory, agenda driven posts just paint u into a corner.  Maybe say something resembling complimentary towards the coach and program and ur agenda may become a little more cloudy.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #17486 on: May 15, 2019, 12:23:32 PM »

Outstanding post.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #17487 on: May 15, 2019, 12:52:13 PM »

So you think we should add the equivalent of walk ons for the sake of filling scholarships?

Definitely not. We're not Bucky.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #17488 on: May 15, 2019, 12:59:05 PM »
TAMU

I have learned that I need to use words/terms wisely on this site. By lock, I meant there appeared to be a very high level of confidence from many posters that Dawson would be part of the 2020 class. Admittedly, I do not follow recruiting nearly as closely as many on here, and that name has been frequently linked to MU by many.

The kid looks like a player and I hope we land him. He would be a major upgrade over the current big guys.

I think many posters morph quickly from hoping to land a recruit to talking about how great it will be when we land him.......with no real reason to make the leap.

He has blown up.......it will be very tough to get him and although I hope that we do......I certainly don't have high confidence that we will.

Recruiting is a game that you can follow closely but never really know where you stand until the announcement.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17489 on: May 15, 2019, 01:09:26 PM »
MuMark

Agree on your post. Part of the reason I stopped watching recruiting closely is because things change very quickly today. Judging by the article, the odds might have gotten longer on landing him. Like any other big time recruit he has been in on, hope we land him. If not, very happy he chasing guys that big boys want.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 01:27:12 PM by Goose »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #17490 on: May 15, 2019, 01:11:02 PM »

No, I didn't say that. 

I would have taken some projects though.  I would have taken a flier on the Skogman kid that went to Buffalo.  I would have been aggressive on the transfer market.  We weren't mentioned with many guys.  There should be plenty of minutes to go around in 20-21, so surprised we weren't able to land any traditional transfers. 

Hopeful we're still in on Juiston guy from UNLV.  His name may have been one of the names on the Wojo whiteboard and things have been mostly quiet around him. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 01:13:29 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #17491 on: May 15, 2019, 01:18:29 PM »
Wojo offered Skogman. The problem is that the Hausers transfers left two openings with little time to fill them. "Taking some projects" only works if those projects want to come here and haven't been recruited by other coaches for months versus recruited by Wojo for a couple weeks.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #17492 on: May 15, 2019, 01:25:36 PM »
No, I didn't say that. 

I would have taken some projects though.  I would have taken a flier on the Skogman kid that went to Buffalo.  I would have been aggressive on the transfer market.  We weren't mentioned with many guys.  There should be plenty of minutes to go around in 20-21, so surprised we weren't able to land any traditional transfers. 

Hopeful we're still in on Juiston guy from UNLV.  His name may have been one of the names on the Wojo whiteboard and things have been mostly quiet around him.
I know it’s not quite equal; but we are getting one semi guaranteed High Major conference player in Jayce for one year. This is versus having to develop a Skogman who most likely would be giving two good years (junior and senior) so I have to applaud Wojo and Staff on that decision.

The project I am most interested in is Alex Antetokounmpo. Right now he is mid major for his current size and skills but if he grows to size of two of his older brothers with the skills he has he could be quite formidable. If stays same size there is still a chance he becomes Sacar 2.0 by junior year . So risk reward works well .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #17493 on: May 15, 2019, 01:41:39 PM »
I know it’s not quite equal; but we are getting one semi guaranteed High Major conference player in Jayce for one year. This is versus having to develop a Skogman who most likely would be giving two good years (junior and senior) so I have to applaud Wojo and Staff on that decision.

No reason Skogman and Johnson couldn't have been been on the roster. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17494 on: May 15, 2019, 01:42:26 PM »
Neva stop recruitin', aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #17495 on: May 15, 2019, 01:48:17 PM »
Wojo offered Skogman. The problem is that the Hausers transfers left two openings with little time to fill them. "Taking some projects" only works if those projects want to come here and haven't been recruited by other coaches for months versus recruited by Wojo for a couple weeks.

Did he?  I know Marquette contacted him but I don't recall an offer being made.  Correct me if I am wrong.

Skogman is not just a project,  but has major health concerns.  I wish the kid well, but maybe not the right fit for Marquette.

One scholarship is likely going to Symir.  One option is for him to enroll 2nd semester and redshirt.   Get a headstart for the following season.  Better prepared to play, perhaps even start, in 2020-21.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #17496 on: May 15, 2019, 02:09:22 PM »
I think many posters morph quickly from hoping to land a recruit to talking about how great it will be when we land him.......with no real reason to make the leap.

He has blown up.......it will be very tough to get him and although I hope that we do......I certainly don't have high confidence that we will.

Recruiting is a game that you can follow closely but never really know where you stand until the announcement.
Unless you are Duke, and land 3 of the top recruits in the country, but maybe missed out on two others in top 20.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #17497 on: May 15, 2019, 02:34:35 PM »
Did he?  I know Marquette contacted him but I don't recall an offer being made.  Correct me if I am wrong.

Skogman is not just a project,  but has major health concerns.  I wish the kid well, but maybe not the right fit for Marquette.

One scholarship is likely going to Symir.  One option is for him to enroll 2nd semester and redshirt.   Get a headstart for the following season.  Better prepared to play, perhaps even start, in 2020-21.

No, offer was was ever reported.......MU watched him......that's it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17498 on: May 15, 2019, 02:40:13 PM »

The project I am most interested in is Alex Antetokounmpo. Right now he is mid major for his current size and skills but if he grows to size of two of his older brothers with the skills he has he could be quite formidable. If stays same size there is still a chance he becomes Sacar 2.0 by junior year . So risk reward works well .

Given that the Antetokounmpo's spent a total of 2 years in college between the 3 oldest kids, one of which was spent red shirting, I have a hard time believing Alex will be in college for a junior season.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #17499 on: May 15, 2019, 02:41:57 PM »
No, offer was was ever reported.......MU watched him......that's it.

OK thanks for the clarification.

feedback