Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8336680 times)

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
Re: Recruiting as of 9/15/18
« Reply #14950 on: September 17, 2018, 04:08:54 PM »
Based on Wojo's record to date, it seems clear he feels it's essential to recruit nationally. He's brought in almost a dozen players from outside Wisconsin and the Midwest:

2014-15
Matt Carlino (BYU/Bloomington, IN)

2015-16
Haanif Cheatham (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)
Traci Carter (Philadelphia, PA)

2016-17
Karin Reinhardt (USC/Santa Ana, CA)
Andrew Rowsey (UNC-Ashville/Lexington, VA)
Markus Howard (Chandler, AZ)

2017-18
Harry Froling (SMU/Townsville, AU)

2018-19
Joseph Chartouny (Fordham/Montreal, QC)
Brendan Bailey (American Fork, UT)

2019-20
Dexter Akanno (Valencia, CA)
Koby McEwen (Utah State/Toronto, ON)

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #14951 on: September 17, 2018, 04:16:17 PM »

[/quote

You always have to rec

I am not sure what the ranking on Cheatham was,  I assume around 100 in his year, could be wrong.  I give Stan more credit on getting 2 Top 100 forsh then Wojo did.   It seems on that list it is easier for Wojo to sell a need to a player, 6 out of 11 were transfers.  In 2015 he had lots of playing time available so he was able to
get Haanif and Traci, both gone.   4 kids are on the lets see how they do list.  Harry was a disaster.  I would add Morrow since he came from Nebraska.  Hope the 18 and 19 kids work out.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14952 on: September 17, 2018, 04:42:31 PM »
Stan IS Wojo.

The head coach hires the assistant. The assistant works for the head coach. Heck, if the head coach is sick and the top assistant coaches a game, the W or L still goes on the head coach's record.

I mean, how many players did Wojo get for K? At least a few, I imagine. But who gets the credit? How many players did Rick get for Al?

That's just the way it is. If Stan gets recruits for Wojo, wonderful ... that's his job!

It's nice to mention the assistant, even prominently. But in the end, the head coach is the CEO. The rest of them are the corporation's executive vice presidents.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #14953 on: September 17, 2018, 04:59:51 PM »
Stan IS Wojo.

The head coach hires the assistant. The assistant works for the head coach. Heck, if the head coach is sick and the top assistant coaches a game, the W or L still goes on the head coach's record.

I mean, how many players did Wojo get for K? At least a few, I imagine. But who gets the credit? How many players did Rick get for Al?

That's just the way it is. If Stan gets recruits for Wojo, wonderful ... that's his job!

It's nice to mention the assistant, even prominently. But in the end, the head coach is the CEO. The rest of them are the corporation's executive vice presidents.

I agree totally in your comments, but I feel on those 2 kids, Stan was recruiting those kids for years before he got to MU.   Without Stan, no Marcus or Brendan.  I am
sure Stan had a relationship with Nico as well.  2 out of 3 not bad.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #14954 on: September 17, 2018, 05:04:21 PM »
Wojo's said he looks for players who will make the team better. If they've happened to be transfers, so be it.

By that standard, I'd say his record for recruiting outside the Midwest is pretty good so far. Carlino was the best player on his first team. Even if Cheatham and Carter eventually transferred, they were immediate contributors on a team that won 7 more games than the season before. Reinhardt, Rowsey and Howard were all key to the 2016-17 NCAA team.

Harry is the only one who's been a clear miss so far. It happens. I don't think signing him cost us a better recruit. I'm looking forward to seeing Chartouny and Bailey on the court this year.

To MU82's point, Stan is part of Wojo's staff. Stan's success in recruiting reflects well on how Wojo chooses and directs his assistant coaches.

BTW, I didn't include Morrow because Nebraska is a Midwestern state. That, plus the fact he's originally from Chicago.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #14955 on: September 17, 2018, 05:18:45 PM »
Wojo's said he looks for players who will make the team better. If they've happened to be transfers, so be it.

By that standard, I'd say his record for recruiting outside the Midwest is pretty good so far. Carlino was the best player on his first team. Even if Cheatham and Carter eventually transferred, they were immediate contributors on a team that won 7 more games than the season before. Reinhardt, Rowsey and Howard were all key to the 2016-17 NCAA team.

Harry is the only one who's been a clear miss so far. It happens. I don't think signing him cost us a better recruit. I'm looking forward to seeing Chartouny and Bailey on the court this year.

Part of recruiting is your staff, Stan was a home run.  Not sure about Chris Carrawell, missed on all St. Louis kids, and I am not sure on Killings yet.  I think Brett has
done a good job as well.  What happens the next 2 years will tell MU fans where this program is going.  I hope as well as Buzz and Crean.  Crean Final 4 and Buzz
Sweet 16.  My hope, win be in the Finals in Big East tourny, win a game or two this year,  Next year maybe Sweet 16.  Is that to much to ask for?

To MU82's point, Stan is part of Wojo's staff. Stan's success in recruiting reflects well on how Wojo chooses and directs his assistant coaches.

BTW, I didn't include Morrow because Nebraska is a Midwestern state. That, plus the fact he's originally from Chicago.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14956 on: September 17, 2018, 05:57:36 PM »
Set forth below is an interview with Stan conducted by Mr. Dodds. Stan outlines what MU is looking for in the recruiting process . 

https://247sports.com/Article/What-does-the-Marquette-Staff-look-for-in-Recruiting--117552913/
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #14957 on: September 17, 2018, 06:09:36 PM »
Stan IS Wojo.

I predict Herman and Ners will not agree with this analysis

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #14958 on: September 17, 2018, 06:38:31 PM »
I am not sure what the ranking on Cheatham was,  I assume around 100 in his year, could be wrong.  I give Stan more credit on getting 2 Top 100 forsh then Wojo did.   It seems on that list it is easier for Wojo to sell a need to a player, 6 out of 11 were transfers.  In 2015 he had lots of playing time available so he was able to
get Haanif and Traci, both gone.   4 kids are on the lets see how they do list.  Harry was a disaster.  I would add Morrow since he came from Nebraska.  Hope the 18 and 19 kids work out.

Cheatham was 75 on the 247 composite ranking.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #14959 on: September 17, 2018, 06:42:01 PM »
Stan IS Wojo.

This is spot on......Stan had the relationship that got MU in the door with Markus and BB but if they didn't feel comfortable with Wojo they weren't coming here......that's just the reality of it.

Wojo has to close and he did.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14960 on: September 17, 2018, 07:17:44 PM »
This is spot on......Stan had the relationship that got MU in the door with Markus and BB but if they didn't feel comfortable with Wojo they weren't coming here......that's just the reality of it.

Wojo has to close and he did.
Ex MU target Samuel Williamson just committed to Louisville. He cited his extensive and long relationship with Chris Mack. Louisville now has two more slots open, watching them carefully as they are in the Rocket Watts mix, but have a lot of other candidates are keen on them.
https://247sports.com/Article/Four-star-wing-Samuel-Williamson-commits-to-Louisville-122005773/
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

VegasWarrior77

• All American
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #14962 on: September 17, 2018, 11:35:04 PM »
Set forth below is an interview with Stan conducted by Mr. Dodds. Stan outlines what MU is looking for in the recruiting process. 

https://247sports.com/Article/What-does-the-Marquette-Staff-look-for-in-Recruiting--117552913/

Nice article. Thanks for posting.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #14963 on: September 18, 2018, 09:05:52 AM »
I get the sense that shooting is a skill that can't be taught whereas the others can be developed and improved upon. It's like hitting in baseball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14964 on: September 18, 2018, 09:10:58 AM »
I get the sense that shooting is a skill that can't be taught whereas the others can be developed and improved upon. It's like hitting in baseball.

I’m not sure what you are saying, but you can definitely improve shooting with good coaching.

But only to a point. Some players just don’t have the touch.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #14965 on: September 18, 2018, 09:36:13 AM »

You can definitely coach proper shooting  technique.  Then repetition can help improve consistency. Being able to repeat the same motion consistently is what makes great shooters.

But not everyone becomes a great shooter.  There's a mental aspect; thinking too much can mess with technique.  Other players fail to master proper technique, be it footwork,  shooting release,  or anything in between.  Sometimes bad habits are so ingrained that they are difficult to correct.  Even something like having hands that are too large or small can inhibit shooting.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14966 on: September 18, 2018, 09:48:43 AM »
See Johnson, Jajuan. Trey J had a really hinky release to his shot. Was a 24% 3P shooter his first two years. Staff fixed his mechanics and he shot 38.3% his second two years.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #14967 on: September 18, 2018, 10:20:55 AM »
When Otule was recovering from injuries 4-6, wasn't he taking about 500 baby hooks a day with each hand?  Never could shoot free throws (through no fault of his own), but if he had the position, and if he got the ball (bigger "if" there) that 3-5 foot baby hook was pure.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14968 on: September 18, 2018, 10:59:54 AM »
See Johnson, Jajuan. Trey J had a really hinky release to his shot. Was a 24% 3P shooter his first two years. Staff fixed his mechanics and he shot 38.3% his second two years.
A JJJ memory...
https://www.ncaa.com/video/basketball-men/2017-03-17/3-pointer-jajuan-johnson
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14969 on: September 18, 2018, 11:03:17 AM »
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14970 on: September 18, 2018, 11:04:32 AM »

Vander was another example. While he only developed into a 30.3% three point shooter, he had a lot more confidence than his freshman year. His first two years, he was 12/56 (21.4%) from deep. As a junior, he shot 40/132 (30.3%). More makes, many more attempts, and at a rate where he had to at least be respected out there.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14971 on: September 18, 2018, 11:42:45 AM »
Vander was another example. While he only developed into a 30.3% three point shooter, he had a lot more confidence than his freshman year. His first two years, he was 12/56 (21.4%) from deep. As a junior, he shot 40/132 (30.3%). More makes, many more attempts, and at a rate where he had to at least be respected out there.
I think if Vander came back to the MU shooting academy one summer he could take his game to another level. His career 35.3% from 3 has hurt his chances to stick in the league.
https://gleague.nba.com/player/vander-blue/
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14972 on: September 18, 2018, 01:02:16 PM »
I think if Vander came back to the MU shooting academy one summer he could take his game to another level. His career 35.3% from 3 has hurt his chances to stick in the league.
https://gleague.nba.com/player/vander-blue/

I don't know. He did spend two spells in the NBA that year. Would a year at MU somehow have provided better coaching than the NBADL & NBA? I doubt it.

The problem is Vander was a 6'3" SG who didn't have Dwyane Wade's raw ability. The only way he becomes a NBA player is by becoming a point guard. I'm not sure that even a year at the point at MU would've changed his trajectory much.

I think of Dwight Buycks, who played some PG at Marquette but needed years of refinement in Europe to develop to NBA level, and just on the fringes at that.

It wasn't just Blue's shooting but his entire style of play that needed to change to make him a NBA player. I don't think that would've happened here any more than it would've in the NBADL.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #14973 on: September 18, 2018, 01:42:25 PM »
Really don't care about Vander's shooting in a recruitment thread, he's been gone for years. 

Here's Rival's updated 2020 rankings. Big, big year for MU.

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2020

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14974 on: September 18, 2018, 03:10:57 PM »
Really don't care about Vander's shooting in a recruitment thread, he's been gone for years. 

Here's Rival's updated 2020 rankings. Big, big year for MU.

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2020

For the lazy, Marquette has been linked to:

#6 Jalen Johnson (recently visited)
#15 Ziaire Willaims (recently visited)
#18 Jalen Suggs (recently visited)
#20 Johnny Juzang (recently visited)
#21 Isaiah Jackson (recently visited)
#24 MarJon Beauchamp
#28 Keon Johnson (recently visited)
#32 Dawson Garcia (recently visited)
#35 Dalen Terry (recently visited)
#36 Julian Stawther (recently visited)
#37 Daishen Nix (recently visited)
#38 Jabri Abdur-Rahim (recently visited)
#40 Caleb Love
#42 Nimari Burnett (recently visited)
#43 Dain Dainja (recently visited)
#49 Symir Torrence (recently visited)
#55 Cam'Ron Fletcher (recently visited)
#56 Ethan Morton (has said he's taking an unofficial this fall)
#59 Jaylen Clark (recently visited)
#64 DJ Steward
#66 Bryce Thompson (recently visited)
#72 Zeb Jackson (recently visited)
#76 Justin Lewis (recently visited)
#77 Isaiah Cottrell (recently visited)
#85 Lynn Greer III
#97 AJ Hoggard
#100 Darius Maddox (recently visited)
#106 Richie Springs
#108 Jamari Sibley (recently visited)
#120 Reece Beekman (recently visited)
#132 Desmond Polk (recently visited)
UR Niels Lane (recently visited)
UR Darlinston Dubar (recently visited)
UR Zed Key (recently visited)
UR Mason Hooks (recently visited)
UR RJ Davis
UR Hassan Diarra
UR Gabe Madsen
UR Malachi Ndur

Hard to tell who the real candidates are at this point. Got to fill a lot of schollies this season. Could use a big year on the court to help sell the pitch.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 06:55:39 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU