[Today at 03:17:33 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] In depth Q&A with Mike Broeker on scheduling  (Read 15795 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] In depth Q&A with Mike Broeker on scheduling
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2015, 05:18:55 PM »
Is the difficulty of notching a victory vs a team w/ a RPI of 225 *that* much harder than  notching a victory vs a team w/ a RPI of 300+? If it is, then we've got bigger problems to worry about than our SOS at the end of the year.

We lost to Depaul and Omaha. Sooo... probably.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2015, 06:10:26 PM »
9-4 would not be very good.  I'd suggest we split the competitive games and make sure we're ready for Belmont.  We've got one of the top recruiting classes in the nation. Had better perform like that.  11-2.
I hope we go 11-2 was just saying realistically 9-4.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2015, 06:50:31 PM »
People really, actually thought that someone like Broeker and Wojo just threw together a schedule putting no thought into it?  They just threw up sheets of paper with every low major team's logo on Wojo's office wall, threw 9 darts, and wherever they landed he gave them a call?

There is a plan for everything.  The schedule is just fine, like I've been saying from day 1.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2015, 07:09:09 PM »
It ain't no fun to watch the team have their collective asses handed to 'em game after game either, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2015, 08:26:56 PM »
People really, actually thought that someone like Broeker and Wojo just threw together a schedule putting no thought into it?  They just threw up sheets of paper with every low major team's logo on Wojo's office wall, threw 9 darts, and wherever they landed he gave them a call?

There is a plan for everything.  The schedule is just fine, like I've been saying from day 1.
I prefer the big roulette wheel visual. 

Everything about the staff and administration seems very business like.  To me (very much NOT an insider) that says they know what they're doing.  I think you're right....the schedule is fine.

Plus isn't it "6's"?  Either the schedule is too tough and we are on the bubble because we don't have enough wins OR the schedule is too easy and we are on the bubble because of opponents RPI/SOS/KenPom

chapman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2015, 10:08:23 PM »
Is the difficulty of notching a victory vs a team w/ a RPI of 225 *that* much harder than  notching a victory vs a team w/ a RPI of 300+? If it is, then we've got bigger problems to worry about than our SOS at the end of the year.

Not that encouraging an outlook when you're afraid of scheduling UWM because they're too good.  Maybe next year.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2015, 07:49:40 AM »
Excellent interview.

I was pleasantly surprised about the talk of possibly renewing a series with Notre Dame.  Mike Brey, to my shock, sounds like he is open to it (albeit from an MU source), and Wojo is too.  I thought there was a moratorium placed on former Duke assistants (Collins, Dawkins, Capel, Wojo, Brey, Amaker, Hurley, Snyder) from player each other or Duke by Coach K. 

They could do a 1/1/1 series where each school gets a home game and the third is a neutral site game in Chicago at the United Center or something.  Both schools have huge Chicago alumni bases, and is 90 minutes from each campus.
That series would be great, but somehow, I just don't see it happening because of No Dick's continuing arrogance in sports. If it does happen, ND will get all the advantages...because after all...they are No Dick.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2015, 08:37:37 AM »
It sounds to me that the people handling the schedule are actually acting in a pragmatic and responsible manner.    They scheduled this year based on the notion that this will be a very young, very inexperienced team that needs to learn how to win.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2015, 09:23:21 AM »
That series would be great, but somehow, I just don't see it happening because of No Dick's continuing arrogance in sports. If it does happen, ND will get all the advantages...because after all...they are No Dick.
Completely agree.  ND has no interest in maintaining a rivalry with us. No upside for them so their logic is why do it.

I remember in the 70s they gave up a great rivalry with Michigan State basketball and I think it ultimately hurt them.
            ---Al McGuire

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2015, 10:14:12 AM »
Completely agree.  ND has no interest in maintaining a rivalry with us. No upside for them so their logic is why do it.

I remember in the 70s they gave up a great rivalry with Michigan State basketball and I think it ultimately hurt them.

I don't remember MSU being a rival for them. I do remember them playing UCLA on a regular basis.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2015, 10:55:58 AM »
They played MSU in football.  That's where the rivalry was.

For BBall, it was Marquette, Depaul, UCLA, indiana, and Purdue most regularly.  They would also schedule teams like San Francisco, who was 29-0 one year when they played in SB.

They also had regular games with "lesser" schools at that point in time that included Davidson and Xavier.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2015, 12:04:46 PM »
Some Scoopers: Shut up, Ners, how can you question the coach who coaches for a living?!?!?
Same Scoopers: This schedule sucks!!  The AD must be out of his mind?!?!?!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2015, 12:37:48 PM »

No, the rivalry was playing Michigan. But Notre Dame killed a game that for one night every year made America stop and take notice.

Perhaps they feared a renewed, revitalized, and reinvigorated Michigan that is now fortified with a daily dose of Harbaugh. Or perhaps, more likely, they are simply cowards who shy away from a real fight with a worthy opponent.

Their arrogance is terribly misplaced.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2015, 12:43:49 PM »
No, the rivalry was playing Michigan. But Notre Dame killed a game that for one night every year made America stop and take notice.

Perhaps they feared a renewed, revitalized, and reinvigorated Michigan that is now fortified with a daily dose of Harbaugh. Or perhaps, more likely, they are simply cowards who shy away from a real fight with a worthy opponent.

Their arrogance is terribly misplaced.

They stopped the series long before Harbaugh took over. 

Knowing fans of both teams, I get the impression that Michigan fans cared much more about this rivalry than Notre Dame fans did. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2015, 01:35:17 PM »
I get the impression that Michigan fans cared much more about this rivalry than Notre Dame fans did.

Closet Domer...

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2015, 01:36:44 PM »
It was equally important to both fan bases.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2015, 04:34:18 PM »

For BBall, it was Marquette, Depaul, UCLA, indiana, and Purdue most regularly.  They would also schedule teams like San Francisco, who was 29-0 one year when they played in SB.

They also had regular games with "lesser" schools at that point in time that included Davidson and Xavier.
The basketball rivalry was with Michigan State. I attended many of the games. Here is a good story about what happened.

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2014/12/michigan_state-notre_dame_to_m.html
            ---Al McGuire

source?

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2015, 05:20:15 PM »
Not that encouraging an outlook when you're afraid of scheduling UWM because they're too good.  Maybe next year.

This would be a rough year to restart that series. UWM returns a ton of experience and a squad that is expected to be in the 100-150 range. That could be a tough out for a young team early in the season.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2015, 05:56:51 PM »
This would be a rough year to restart that series. UWM returns a ton of experience and a squad that is expected to be in the 100-150 range. That could be a tough out for a young team early in the season.

Who's your source?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

source?

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2015, 11:11:35 PM »
Who's your source?

I am THE "source?"

But just in case anyone is curious http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/11654

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2015, 09:16:54 AM »
I am THE "source?"

But just in case anyone is curious http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/11654

Any UWM preview that contains these sentences is hard to take seriously:

"Will he go down as a legendary college basketball coach? Most likely not. Is he getting it done at Milwaukee? 100%."

The only reason Jeter is still around is because the UWM athletic department is completely dysfunctional and because they don't have the $$$ to buy him out.  He isn't a good coach.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2015, 10:05:49 AM »

Any UWM preview that contains these sentences is hard to take seriously:

"Will he go down as a legendary college basketball coach? Most likely not. Is he getting it done at Milwaukee? 100%."

The only reason Jeter is still around is because the UWM athletic department is completely dysfunctional and because they don't have the $$$ to buy him out.  He isn't a good coach.
Not sure that is quite a fair assessment.  He has had some decent teams when he has had the horses (not including his first team here, which was Pearl's leftovers) through systematic recruiting of transfers and jucos.  Year before last he beat a very good UW-GB team twice and kept UW-GB out of the NCAAs.  Jeter's problem is UW-M itself.  Hard to recruit there year over year and maintain a high level since he has to ultimately rely on senior dominated teams with a lot of transfers and jucos.  having said that, UW-M is probably settling due to $$$.  Not sure UW-M could really attract a better coach...?  Suspect Rob is a decent coach fro an Xs and Os standpoint, but just is not have a dynamic enough personality to recruit at a high level at a school like UW-M...?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2015, 10:16:31 AM »
Not sure that is quite a fair assessment.  He has had some decent teams when he has had the horses (not including his first team here, which was Pearl's leftovers) through systematic recruiting of transfers and jucos.  Year before last he beat a very good UW-GB team twice and kept UW-GB out of the NCAAs.  Jeter's problem is UW-M itself.  Hard to recruit there year over year and maintain a high level since he has to ultimately rely on senior dominated teams with a lot of transfers and jucos.  having said that, UW-M is probably settling due to $$$.  Not sure UW-M could really attract a better coach...?  Suspect Rob is a decent coach fro an Xs and Os standpoint, but just is not have a dynamic enough personality to recruit at a high level at a school like UW-M...?

OK maybe my statement was too abrupt.  And maybe he simply pales in comparison to Ryan and Pearl, which is pretty unfair.

I don't think he is great though.  And UWM has big issues.  Probably should reconsider their membership in D1.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 10:19:00 AM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2015, 12:41:12 PM »
OK maybe my statement was too abrupt.  And maybe he simply pales in comparison to Ryan and Pearl, which is pretty unfair.

I don't think he is great though.  And UWM has big issues.  Probably should reconsider their membership in D1.
I'll go with that.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2015, 01:42:38 PM »
We lost to Depaul and Omaha. Sooo... probably.

My point is that if we are scheduling RPI 300+ for a win, and couldn't get a win against RPI 200, then our team is bad and having an extra W but a weak SOS won't matter come March.