[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wisconsin here we come!  (Read 5362 times)

New Era Warriors

• Starter
Wisconsin here we come!
« on: December 01, 2007, 11:48:22 AM »
I truly believe we can go into Madison and pull off a victory. Will it be easy? Hell no! But after watching Wisconsin get their a$$ handed to them at Duke and watching Marquette all season so far, I think Marquette will create many problems for Wisco. I think we are too quick for them and have too good of guard play for them to handle. They are bigger then us, but I don't think that will be much of a problem. Anyone agree? I think this is the year we go into the Kohl Center and come away with a W. MU has all week to game-plan and prepare for wisconsin. You know the tackling dummies will be out this week  ;)
GO MARQUETTE!!

Warrior of Law

• All American
Re: Wisconsin here we come!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 11:54:28 AM »
I suspect that this game will be just like the 2001 game at the Kohl Center.  A superior MU team that was taken out of the game by multiple UW flops and dubious foul calls on MU.  Wes Matthews needs to play big in what will likely be his last chance to play in Madison.  MU by 2.  We're due.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 12:12:37 PM »
we will need to score six more field goals than UW. Otherwise, we lose.

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 12:54:29 PM »
I think we have a great shot at winning next weekend in Madison. I think we are starting to become the dominate team that everyone has been hyping. Since the OK state game, I have been very, very impressed with us.

If we play the way that we have played vs OK State/Duke/UWM versus Bucky, we come out with a win. If we play the way we have against IUPUI/Utah Valley State/Chaminade, then we will lose. They way I see it, it's that simple.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 01:22:17 PM »
Finally!

Enough threads about whipping Panther High.

Bring on Bucky!
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

4everwarriors

• All American
Warriors Win...
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 09:45:03 PM »
if they push the tempo. That, of course, implies they can board with the Badgers.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 10:57:59 PM »
We do not have the rebounding or outside shooting to beat UW.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 02:51:49 AM »
We do not have the rebounding or outside shooting to beat UW.

Our outside shooting in the OK St, Duke, and UWM games was good.  If we shoot like that from outside, we're in good shape.  We do have the shooting to beat UW, it's just whether or not we show up with it for the game.

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 07:04:59 AM »
As for the rebounding, I would add that Duke did not get blown out in rebounding to WI.  Their athleticism really took over.  Even though on paper WI should kill us on the boards, I do not think this will necessarily happen this year.  They are susceptible to teams with good guard play and I think we should be in this one until the end.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 12:16:53 AM »
one of the keys to the Duke 'w' over UW was the BButch foul trouble in the first half.  another was their poor 3 point shooting.  the odds of either happening in the Herbie are slim.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 04:03:02 PM »
why does it seem that noone thinks we can win there? with alando gone they dont have the talent to beat us if MU plays up to their potential. MU by 16

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 04:16:34 PM »
why does it seem that noone thinks we can win there? with alando gone they dont have the talent to beat us if MU plays up to their potential. MU by 16

I agree, I like the way our guys are playing right now.  MU by 10.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 06:18:12 PM »
IF (big IF) MU shoots the ball well, they have a great shot.

If MU has an average game from the outside... it could be a long day because UW is not going to crash the offensive glass and isn't going to give MU many chances to run. Also, my bet would be that MU isn't going to be allowed to be as physical as they were against UWM.

I don't think the officiating was loose in the UWM game, but let's face it, MU dictated the style right from the tip. I don't think that will happen at the Kohl center.

MU will have to earn it in the 1/2 court set... which they are capable of doing if they hit some jumpers. There is no doubt in my mind that MU will get enough open looks against UW, the question is can they hit them.

My heart and mind say MU... but the Kohl Center makes me extremely nervous to say the least.

romey

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 07:00:15 PM »
Put me down for a Marquette "W".  I know it's not this simple, but we had a shot to beat Duke in the last couple of minutes of the game and we lose by only 4.  UW was never in the ballgame with Duke and lose by what? 24 or so?  Home court advantage can't be worth 20 points.  Again, I know it's not that simple, but come on guys - we should win this thing!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 07:48:24 PM »
MU is definitely the more talented team. In fact, you could easily make the case that save for a year or two, MU has had more talent then UW since TC and BO have been there. Now granted, that doesn't necessarily mean they will win the game, but they should. If they are ever going to win in the KC, this year is their best chance.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 10:01:26 PM »

If MU has an average game from the outside... it could be a long day because UW is not going to crash the offensive glass and isn't going to give MU many chances to run. Also, my bet would be that MU isn't going to be allowed to be as physical as they were against UWM.

I don't think the officiating was loose in the UWM game, but let's face it, MU dictated the style right from the tip. I don't think that will happen at the Kohl center.

MU will have to earn it in the 1/2 court set... which they are capable of doing if they hit some jumpers. There is no doubt in my mind that MU will get enough open looks against UW, the question is can they hit them.

My heart and mind say MU... but the Kohl Center makes me extremely nervous to say the least.

I have said from day one that shooting will be the decider in about 90% of the close games MU is in this year. However, i dont think that it will be as imperitive to shoot the lights out in this one because i dont think UW will score more than 50 pts. I also dont think the officiating will kill MU this time around.
I just hope rafferty officiates so i can hear him say 'the little fella' as acker drives to the hole

reesiecup210

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2007, 11:44:27 PM »
Let's get in Steimsma's head. Did anyone else see the ridiculous technical foul he was called for and totally deserved? He took down a Wofford player with with legs, then proceeded to push him. This is all because he didn't get a charge call on an obvious flop. Then, to top it off, Bo has the audacity to argue the call. Pathetic, I have absolutely no respect for Bo Ryan or his players.

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2007, 07:30:12 AM »
Let's get in Steimsma's head. Did anyone else see the ridiculous technical foul he was called for and totally deserved? He took down a Wofford player with with legs, then proceeded to push him. This is all because he didn't get a charge call on an obvious flop. Then, to top it off, Bo has the audacity to argue the call. Pathetic, I have absolutely no respect for Bo Ryan or his players.

I tuned into the game just prior to this incident and agree - this was the worst act of sportsmanship I have seen this year.  Just prior to this, a player who was apparently Woffords best scorer fouled out with a lot of time left in the second half on a foul call that was so bad that even the announcers had to say something.  I then saw who was officiating - none other than Ed Hightower himself.  I hope he is not planning on staying in Madison through Sunday.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2007, 08:21:45 AM »

I have said from day one that shooting will be the decider in about 90% of the close games MU is in this year. However, i dont think that it will be as imperitive to shoot the lights out in this one because i dont think UW will score more than 50 pts. I also dont think the officiating will kill MU this time around.
I just hope rafferty officiates so i can hear him say 'the little fella' as acker drives to the hole

I agree that UW isn't going to put up the points... I'm just referring to MU's shooting because easy baskets are going to be tough to come by.

UW is going to get back on defense, they are going to pack it in the lane, use their big guys to take charges and alter shots, and they are going to box out.

As much as I hate the badgers, they can execute. It's not pretty to watch, but they can execute.

MU's shooting will be important because I think they will be able to get open looks with relative ease (they have all year)... the question is if they hit them.

If MU gets hot from 3pt land (like last Friday) they could build up a pretty good lead.

If MU struggles from 3pt land (like the first 2 games of the year), it will be a battle all day... and then it could come down to a few "charge vs blocking" situations... which I would bet my first born goes UW's way.

sigep80

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2007, 09:30:39 AM »
The key to the game will be MU's defensive pressure.  If MU applies pressure at the half court line it will disrupt the Wis offense and lead to high percentage baskets for the good guys. 

MU did a great job of this in the wins of OKS and UWM.  Duke did it to Wis as well.

Warriors by 14!

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
why the heck not?
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2007, 10:01:05 AM »
Homecourt. What a thought. Being a marquette fan for all 19 years of my life, there have been many things I've learned. And of those, that team from Madison refuses to lose, at home. I love our team this year. This is Crean's best chance of winning in madison, period. But it takes a hell of an effort to beat this team at home. I know there's no tucker or taylor, but lets face it, we're going to have to play a hell of a game to win.

I think a key for us is to get to the line. If we settle for 3's (which isn't that high of a percentage for us on the road) we WILL get blown out.

If we (MU) can dictate the tempo, and stay within 5 rebounds of them, I see us getting a hard fought victory. Just dont settle for contested jumpers!!! please!!!

** Would it hurt for matthews to have his first GREAT game of the season? God i'd love to see that!

my head: MU 70  UW 61

my gut:  MU 66   UW  63
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

wheresthecake?

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2007, 10:36:43 AM »
I think the team that wins this game is the one who will have controlled the tempo of the game best.  We need to come out and get Butch, Steimsma, Landry, etc. running and tire them out.  If UW tries to keep up with us they're gonna get burned and they know it, but I hope they don't ;D  Conversely, if we try to slow it down and play a halfcourt game against them it will be the same story as always: drive and kick for 30 seconds then give it to Dominic who calls the power fist (pick and roll w/ him and ooze).  My prediction: ugly first half for us trying to score in the halfcourt and UW making shots as usual at home, but then come out and run all over 'em in the second half and cube makes a couple huge threes to seal the game for MU.

Secret of the Ouse

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2007, 12:38:40 PM »
This game is extremely important for MU to pull out a victory.  If we lose this game, then our best OCC win would be OK State, and that does not look good on a resume.  We played Duke tough on a neutral court, but if we can full of a W in Madison it will be a nice little mark on our resume come march.  I know its early to already be looking so far ahead, but with our weak OCC we need this one to fall in the Win column.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2007, 01:38:12 PM »
A major key is avoiding early foul trouble.  I'm nervous about McNeal picking up 2 fouls in the first 3-4 minutes and having to sit the rest of the half.  This would change MU's approach in terms of aggression.  I see Crean giving the bench players a lot of minutes early to spread the fouls around.  Being a deep team should really benefit us.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2007, 01:46:54 PM »
A major key is avoiding early foul trouble.  I'm nervous about McNeal picking up 2 fouls in the first 3-4 minutes and having to sit the rest of the half.  This would change MU's approach in terms of aggression.  I see Crean giving the bench players a lot of minutes early to spread the fouls around.  Being a deep team should really benefit us.

Last year this was definitely the case.  We saw this also hurt us in Maui against Duke.  But Madison is a different type of team.  Cubillan will bring intensity off the bench and Acker's quickness is a mismatch for everyone on the Madison team if James is on the court at the same time.  With the depth and quickness we have at the guard position, I can see us rotating guys in relatively quickly to keep the intensity up and to make sure we keep running to the point where UW is just exhausted and will not be able to run with us.  If we play our type of game and not theirs, I don't see UW being able to keep up with the scoring.  They are a team that really won't be able to score more than 65 points in most games.