[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Haukar Game Thread  (Read 35380 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Haukar Game Thread
« Reply #225 on: August 12, 2015, 02:07:28 PM »
At one point we ran out a lineup with Duane (6'2"), Anim (6'5"), Sandy (6'6"), Ellenson (6'10"), and Fischer (6'11"). That's some great size.

I also thought Haukar was a solid team. Not elite, but to compare them to our level of play, the kind of team that gets into the tournament as a 13/14 seed and gives some higher seed hell for 40 minutes. Great shooting team, spaced the floor well, and great on the back door cuts. Very fundamentally solid, though they did run out of gas at the end.

Belmont perhaps?

mug644

• All American
« Reply #226 on: August 12, 2015, 02:09:08 PM »
And one of the best things about the game was that they came back, twice. They got some momentum, created stops and kept it going.

Overall, I've been hopeful for this season, given the level of individual talent on the team. This game, even accounting for lots of factors, gives me more optimism, given the way they played as a team (despite plenty of flaws on defense).

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #227 on: August 12, 2015, 02:16:40 PM »
So they're Davidson?

Belmont perhaps?

Both of those feel like good comparisons. Again, this is just going by the eye test (which I hate) but they did the little things right and didn't beat themselves. Teams like that can be tough for anyone to deal with when they are hitting their shots.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #228 on: August 12, 2015, 02:17:39 PM »
what defenses were used? Zone or some man-to-man?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #229 on: August 12, 2015, 02:21:46 PM »
Golden Bears.

Love it.

Would fit because the other Jordan brand school, Cal, are the Golden Bears.
SS Marquette

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #230 on: August 12, 2015, 02:23:16 PM »
what defenses were used? Zone or some man-to-man?

I never saw them play zone.  Not that they didn't, but I just didn't recall seeing it.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #231 on: August 12, 2015, 02:28:39 PM »
At one point we ran out a lineup with Duane (6'2"), Anim (6'5"), Sandy (6'6"), Ellenson (6'10"), and Fischer (6'11"). That's some great size.

I also thought Haukar was a solid team. Not elite, but to compare them to our level of play, the kind of team that gets into the tournament as a 13/14 seed and gives some higher seed hell for 40 minutes. Great shooting team, spaced the floor well, and great on the back door cuts. Very fundamentally solid, though they did run out of gas at the end.

I think they looked better than a competitive low-major. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #232 on: August 12, 2015, 02:33:44 PM »
I never saw them play zone.  Not that they didn't, but I just didn't recall seeing it.

I agree. Don't think they played any zone, but I could be mistaken.

No surprise, really, given that Wojo would like to play more man to man, and Hauker is a 3-shooting team. Needed to play tighter in their faces to prevent open looks. I think if we had started in zone, we would've needed to switch to man very quickly.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #233 on: August 12, 2015, 02:37:05 PM »
I agree. Don't think they played any zone, but I could be mistaken.

No surprise, really, given that Wojo would like to play more man to man, and Hauker is a 3-shooting team. Needed to play tighter in their faces to prevent open looks. I think if we had started in zone, we would've needed to switch to man very quickly.

Yeah, we were slow enough (especially early) closing out on threes, the last thing we needed was to give them space to just shoot over the zone, because they could have and would have.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #234 on: August 12, 2015, 02:56:53 PM »
No zone that I saw.  Our defensive rotations still need improvement but that's to be expected.  When we were late, Haukar buried the shot until the very end when they're legs gave out.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #235 on: August 12, 2015, 02:57:37 PM »
We played man to man exclusively.  Haukar played mostly man but I think in the 3rd quarter switched to a 2-3 zone which I thought we handled pretty well....way better than we've handled it the last couple of seasons any way.

The other thing that has me giddy about this games results.....this is the type of team we can expect to play in Madison.  This style was probably the one I thought we'd have the most trouble with.  Haukar even got all the ticky tack calls the 12 year olds were calling, so it definitely felt like it was Madison....ya know, with the backdoor stuff and all.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #236 on: August 12, 2015, 02:59:04 PM »
No zone that I saw.  Our defensive rotations still need improvement but that's to be expected.  When we were late, Haukar buried the shot until the very end when they're legs gave out.

Mostly it was on late close outs by Heldt, Ellenson, and Fischer, who aren't use to that type of thing.  A lot of issues on ball screens (switch vs stay).  That'll take some time to learn.

It's good to see we have some semblance of an offense and defense installed at this point of the season.  :o ;D
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #237 on: August 12, 2015, 10:24:12 PM »
Outstanding.  Sounds like this game alone may have been worth the entire experience.  Here's to hoping for 3 more competitive games (with safer floors).

I'll stick to my 7 seed prediction.  But after actually watching this game, I might be moving it up.

Maybe I'll bump it up to 6.  We will finish somewhere between 3-5 in the BE, but I think by the end of the season we'll be the 2nd best team in the BE.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback