collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Snake is Gone  (Read 1704 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"

Death on call

MU82

• All American
Re: The Snake is Gone
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 10:50:18 PM »
Growing up, I was a huge Miami Dolphins fan. It was a sickness, really. Hell, still today I can give the name and number for every starter on those '72 and '73 Dolphin teams -- even the linemen!

Anyway, the Dolphins' dynasty ended in the '74 playoffs when Stabler threw an ill-advised, wobbly pass into the end zone to a tightly covered Clarence Davis for the winning TD in the final seconds.

I was so devastated that I refused to go out to eat with my family that night, even though they were going to my favorite restaurant in town -- the only one with a salad bar! I just sulked in my room for hours.

That's my main memory of Stabler. And though I hated him for having the balls to throw that pass (and skill to complete it), I grew to admire his guts and ability over the next several years.

Still hate the Raiders, though!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 12:48:46 AM »
Growing up, I was a huge Miami Dolphins fan. It was a sickness, really. Hell, still today I can give the name and number for every starter on those '72 and '73 Dolphin teams -- even the linemen!

Anyway, the Dolphins' dynasty ended in the '74 playoffs when Stabler threw an ill-advised, wobbly pass into the end zone to a tightly covered Clarence Davis for the winning TD in the final seconds.

I was so devastated that I refused to go out to eat with my family that night, even though they were going to my favorite restaurant in town -- the only one with a salad bar! I just sulked in my room for hours.

That's my main memory of Stabler. And though I hated him for having the balls to throw that pass (and skill to complete it), I grew to admire his guts and ability over the next several years.

Still hate the Raiders, though!

Stabler was a unique player. He wasn't pretty but he had grit and toughness and he somehow knew how to win. I never liked the whole Raider Mystique narrative but Stabler was a joy to watch.

Death on call

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 06:34:54 AM »
a shame he never made the hall of fame.  he was a performer under pressure and made the guys around him better.  and he outlived lyle alzado and the tooz(went to high school right up the road from me in oak creek , wi)
don't...don't don't don't don't

brandx

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 08:27:08 AM »
Stabler was a unique player. He wasn't pretty but he had grit and toughness and he somehow knew how to win. I never liked the whole Raider Mystique narrative but Stabler was a joy to watch.

Jim McMahon with talent?

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 08:37:40 AM »
Jim McMahon with talent?
Jim McMahon was perceived as an arrogant, big mouthed tool. You could add pretty boy as well.  Stabler wasn’t that. Brett Favre, without the strong arm would be a better comparison.  Wasn’t always pretty, but had the knack of making the big plays. He fit in perfectly with that team, and coach.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 08:50:15 AM by hairy worthen »

brandx

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 12:53:47 PM »
Jim McMahon was perceived as an arrogant, big mouthed tool. You could add pretty boy as well.  Stabler wasn’t that. Brett Favre, without the strong arm would be a better comparison.  Wasn’t always pretty, but had the knack of making the big plays. He fit in perfectly with that team, and coach.

You're right, but I was talking stat-wise.

feedback