[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Rank MU NBAers  (Read 18276 times)

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
Rank MU NBAers
« on: July 02, 2015, 11:54:16 AM »
I'm sure this has been debated before on here, but with all the MU guys getting paid in the NBA, it got me thinking about which MU grads have had the best NBA careers.  Here's my ranking:

1) Dwanye Wade (2004-present)
Titles, awards, highlights, and soon to be over 20k in points

2) Maurice Lucas (1975-1988)
First round NBA pick by the Bulls, but got his start in the ABA. Even after the merger he was a 4x NBA all-star, All-NBA and All-NBA Defensive Team selection, and a double-double machine. 

3) Doc Rivers (1984-1996)
Made one all-star game, scored double figures and 59th on the NBA career assists leaderboard. Great defensive player as well.  Coaching success gives him the tie-breaker over some others.   

4) Jim Chones (1973-1982)
Another big man who came close to averaging a double-double for his career. Won a title with the Lakers.  Paved the way for early-entrants. 

5) Jimmy Butler (2012-present)
Just got paid after making his first all-star game and second All-NBA Defensive Team.  If he maintains his expanded offensive repertoire he'll soon be higher on this list.

6) Don Kojis (1964-1975)
High volume scorer who made two all-star games for the NBA's San Diego Rockets.  Didn't do much else on the stat sheet.

7) Wesley Matthews (2010-present)
Prototype of a modern 3 and D wing.  Currently top-50 all time for career 3 point percentage. Potentially an all-star on a winning team.   

8) Jerome Whitehead (1979-1989)
Long career as a reserve big-man, but had some nice years with San Diego and Golden State in the early '80s. 

9) Steve Novak (2007-present)
Nice long career for a guy who can do exactly one thing on an NBA level.  Eight on the list of active career 3pt shooting percentage. 

10) Dean Meminger (1972-1977)
Solid role player that helped the Knicks to their last NBA championship team. 

Honorable Mention)

George Thompson (1970-1975)
Scoring guard who racked up some points in the ABA on his way to three ABA all-star games and played one year with the Bucks.

Tony Smith (1991-2001)
Role player on some good Lakers teams in the early '90s. 

Jim McIlvaine (1995-2001)
Not much in the way of points, but he had two consecutive seasons averaging over 2 blocked shots per game.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: Rank MU NBAers
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 01:40:35 PM »
Jimmy is easily #2 in my book(Soon to be #1). I'd place Jae above Novak at the very least at this point. Doc also seems a bit high on the list for a player.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 01:42:24 PM »
Jimmy is easily #2 in my book(Soon to be #1). I'd place Jae above Novak at the very least at this point. Doc also seems a bit high on the list for a player.

jimmy soon to be number 1?  i don't see jimmy averaging 38 ppg in an nba finals anytime soon.  if he does, then maybe it'll even cross my mind for a millisecond.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 01:44:36 PM »
Who is Dwayne Wade?

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 01:47:24 PM »
Who is Dwayne Wade?

My apologies, I knew the y went in a weird spot, I just picked the wrong one.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 02:37:48 PM »
My apologies, I knew the y went in a weird spot, I just picked the wrong one.

If this was edited, I'm pretty sure that's not the correct weird spot either...

This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 02:46:20 PM »
I have not looked at their stats, but I think Thompson had a better career than Meminger assuming you are not excluding his ABA years.

Possible honorable mentions:

Larry McNeal at one point he held the record for shots made in a game without a miss
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 05:37:42 PM by bilsu »

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 02:54:50 PM »
If this was edited, I'm pretty sure that's not the correct weird spot either...

It hasn't been edited, you just were mistaken when calling me out.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 03:13:49 PM »

JFB is my favorite post-Wade player, but he needs to put on some rings on his fingers before he even enters that conversation.  Once that happens, he then needs to put the team on his back when winning a title, and finally, after recruiting the best player in the game to be on his team, teach that guy how to play like a winner.

If JFB does those things, then he will be a worthy #2.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 03:37:01 PM »
JFB is my favorite post-Wade player, but he needs to put on some rings on his fingers before he even enters that conversation.  Once that happens, he then needs to put the team on his back when winning a title, and finally, after recruiting the best player in the game to be on his team, teach that guy how to play like a winner.

If JFB does those things, then he will be a worthy #2.

Agreed. JFB has a lot of work to do to catch yDwane Wade.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 03:38:41 PM »
I have not looked at their stats, but I think Thomson had a better career than Meminger assuming you are not excluding his ABA years.

Possible honorable mentions:

Larry McNeal at one point he held the record for shots made in a game without a miss

I left Thompson off the list because he only played in the NBA one season and his numbers went down substantially. Dean showed up big for the 1973 Knicks in the playoffs.  Although I agree his numbers in the ABA are pretty impressive.  

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 03:40:25 PM »
It hasn't been edited, you just were mistaken when calling me out.

Just checking... ;)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 06:18:34 PM »
Love Jim Mac but plenty of sites have his signing to the sonics as the beginning of the end of that team. Not sure he should get those praise

http://uproxx.com/dimemag/2008/07/draft-busts-bad-trades-bad-checks-what-was-your-teams-worst-move/
Maigh Eo for Sam

brandx

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 07:32:40 PM »
Agreed. JFB has a lot of work to do to catch yDwane Wade.

Wade is an historically elite NBA player - top 30 all-time.

For anyone to even consider putting Jimmy ahead of Wade - now or in the future - is preposterous.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 07:40:45 PM »
Love Jim Mac but plenty of sites have his signing to the sonics as the beginning of the end of that team. Not sure he should get those praise

http://uproxx.com/dimemag/2008/07/draft-busts-bad-trades-bad-checks-what-was-your-teams-worst-move/

I can't blame that on Mac. He was a great backup center in the league that filed a very specific role of defensive stopper and shot blocker very well. The problem was that Seattle looked at his numbers from Washington off the bench and paid him based on protecting those numbers over starter minutes. Mac would have been foolish to pass on it, but Seattle was foolish to offer it with those expectations.

Mac is one of the best cautionary tales as to why fans and GMs shouldn't expect guys that excel in limited minutes to do the same when those minutes expand.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 10:12:37 PM »
I can't blame that on Mac. He was a great backup center in the league that filed a very specific role of defensive stopper and shot blocker very well. The problem was that Seattle looked at his numbers from Washington off the bench and paid him based on protecting those numbers over starter minutes. Mac would have been foolish to pass on it, but Seattle was foolish to offer it with those expectations.

Mac is one of the best cautionary tales as to why fans and GMs shouldn't expect guys that excel in limited minutes to do the same when those minutes expand.
You are lucky Ners is not around here any longer  ;D
Goal is National Championship

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 10:26:46 PM »
I'm sure this has been debated before on here, but with all the MU guys getting paid in the NBA, it got me thinking about which MU grads have had the best NBA careers.  Here's my ranking:

First round NBA pick by the Bulls, but got his start in the ABA. Even after the merger he was a 4x NBA all-star, All-NBA and All-NBA Defensive Team selection, and a double-double machine. 

Made one all-star game, scored double figures and 59th on the NBA career assists leaderboard. Great defensive player as well.  Coaching success gives him the tie-breaker over some others.   

Another big man who came close to averaging a double-double for his career. Won a title with the Lakers.  Paved the way for early-entrants. 

Just got paid after making his first all-star game and second All-NBA Defensive Team.  If he maintains his expanded offensive repertoire he'll soon be higher on this list.

6) Don Kojis (1964-1975)
High volume scorer who made two all-star games for the NBA's San Diego Rockets.  Didn't do much else on the stat sheet.

Prototype of a modern 3 and D wing.  Currently top-50 all time for career 3 point percentage. Potentially an all-star on a winning team.   

Long career as a reserve big-man, but had some nice years with San Diego and Golden State in the early '80s. 

Nice long career for a guy who can do exactly one thing on an NBA level.  Eight on the list of active career 3pt shooting percentage. 

Honorable Mention)

Scoring guard who racked up some points in the ABA on his way to three ABA all-star games and played one year with the Bucks.

Tony Smith (1991-2001)

Not much in the way of points, but he had two consecutive seasons averaging over 2 blocked shots per game.
Good list. Don Kojis may be under rated. He was a very athletic player, who was a hard working rebounder and scoring threat .  He also played at a time when there were less teams in the league so competition was tough .

I love Doc but I think he may be overrated. Was a solid NBA player . I guess when you consider his coaching success he deserves to be up there but based on playing  alone I would have him lower.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2015, 04:30:27 AM »

6) Don Kojis (1964-1975)

Honorable Mention)

Tony Smith (1991-2001)

Let me tell you something my father all too rarely said to me:
"You did a Damn fine job on this, son"
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2015, 05:22:46 AM »
Wade is an historically elite NBA player - top 30 all-time.

For anyone to even consider putting Jimmy ahead of Wade - now or in the future - is preposterous.

absolutely agree, at least until jfb runs out of fingers for the bling.  way way to early to tell, but just the fact that we are putting the two of them in the same sentence speaks volumes-let 'em rip jimmy.  the nba is all about timing and chemistry-will hoiberg be the answer?  do the bulls have the right people in the front office to put together a "miami heat" or michael jordanesque team today?  nothing wrong with coming in 2nd behind the D-man
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2015, 05:34:28 AM »

6) Don Kojis (1964-1975)

Honorable Mention)

Tony Smith (1991-2001)

We can quibble about who deserves to be up or down a spot or two, but this is a very representative list. Good job.

I agree with those who say it is unlikely that Jimmy will catch Wade, one of the top 50 players in NBA history.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2015, 08:13:12 AM »
Jimmy will never catch DWade -- that will be Henry's job, when he eclipses Michael Jordan (after four years of record-setting performance and a couple national championships at Marquette).

By the time DWade and Jimmy retire, the top three should be those two and Maurice Lucas. Maurice had such an incredible career and my friends in Portland spoke extremely warmly of him. He was an incredible guy.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2015, 12:50:10 PM »
Entertaining post. Maybe a quibble here or there but not bad. As a lifetime Celtic fan I'm hoping Jae climbs on this list.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2015, 01:16:24 PM »
absolutely agree, at least until jfb runs out of fingers for the bling.  way way to early to tell, but just the fact that we are putting the two of them in the same sentence speaks volumes-let 'em rip jimmy.  the nba is all about timing and chemistry-will hoiberg be the answer?  do the bulls have the right people in the front office to put together a "miami heat" or michael jordanesque team today?  nothing wrong with coming in 2nd behind the D-man

that's the problem.  we shouldn't be putting the two of them in the same sentence.  it's not even close and it never will be.  hell, wade is still nearly as good of a player as butler and butler is in his prime while wade has never played worse and is only getting older.

brandx

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2015, 03:52:04 PM »
that's the problem.  we shouldn't be putting the two of them in the same sentence.  it's not even close and it never will be.  hell, wade is still nearly as good of a player as butler and butler is in his prime while wade has never played worse and is only getting older.

+1000

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2015, 04:04:11 PM »
Don Kojis IS UNDERRATED.

Defense back then isn't what it was during the 80s and now.
SS Marquette