[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bo Retiring  (Read 89816 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Bo Retiring
« Reply #325 on: August 13, 2015, 01:54:06 PM »
but it's all power struggle between Barry and Bo over whether Gard gets the job when Bo steps down.

Do you just make this sh1t up?? There is no "power struggle" between Ryan and Alvarez over Gard because Alvarez doesn't care if Ryan comes or goes.

You pretend you are a connected insider... #donedeal

Death on call

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #326 on: August 13, 2015, 02:25:24 PM »
Nothing against Jeter, but I don't think that's the reason, and I don't think he'd be popular at all at Wisconsin. They have a culture ingrained against transfers, which has become a staple of his program, including JUCOs like James Eayrs, Tone Boyle, Kaylon Williams, Paris Gulley, Jordan Aaron, and Trinson White. He has also never been able to build consistent success at UWM. Two NCAA bids (one with Pearl's players) in 10 years, 4 losing seasons, and has never put together back-to-back 20-win seasons.

That's not because he's at a hyphen school. You can win in the Horizon. Pearl won with Milwaukee, Wardle won with Green Bay, Stevens with Butler, Drew (all of them) with Valpo, it can definitely be done. Now none of that means Gard won't be successful at Wisconsin or wherever, but if Jeter was high-major caliber, I'd think he'd be showing it by now.

Bo was 30-27 overall and 13-15 in two years at UWM, finishing 4th and 5th in conference with no post-season.  So do you think UW hired him A) based on his prior success at a D-III school B) because they thought he'd be a good coach given a different environment (one that would allow him to thrive) or C) because they liked his track record with traditionals?

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #327 on: August 13, 2015, 02:27:29 PM »
I suppose that's true.  But I think Bennett is very, very comfortable/happy where he is.  And it's not hard to imagine why.

Charlottesville is magnificent. And UW Madison wishes it had the academic stature of UVA

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #328 on: August 13, 2015, 02:33:51 PM »
Bo was 30-27 overall and 13-15 in two years at UWM, finishing 4th and 5th in conference with no post-season.  So do you think UW hired him A) based on his prior success at a D-III school B) because they thought he'd be a good coach given a different environment (one that would allow him to thrive) or C) because they liked his track record with traditionals?

UWM's record under Bo's predecessor (Ric Cobb):  28-81
UWM's record under Jeter's predecessor (Bruce Pearl):  86-38

Bo literally replaced the worst coach in UWM basketball history.  The program was a mess.  A winning record in Bo's first year was considered a minor miracle.  UW had a lot of people pushing for Bo, and they thought he proved something at a Division 1 school...albiet UWM.  They were right.

Rob Jeter replaced the most successful coach in UWM history.  He made the NCAA with Pearl's recruits in the first year, and then hasn't done much of anything in the nine years since.  A NIT bid, a CBI bid, and an NCAA bid when they won the Horizon League as a fifth seed.  And now they are on academic probation.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #329 on: August 13, 2015, 02:47:05 PM »
Now that you have my serious response, here comes the sarcasm:

Nothing against Jeter, but I don't think that's the reason, and I don't think he'd be popular at all at Wisconsin.

True.... just ask Diallo Shabazz.

They have a culture ingrained against transfers

True.... just ask Jarrod Uthoff.

He has never put together back-to-back 20-win seasons.

Come on.  Seriously?  This is a Chicos-grade statistic right here... from 2010 to 2012 seasons, he posted 20, 19 and 20 wins, respectively.  He also lost the same number of games (14) in each of those seasons.  Citing his lack of B2B 20-win seasons to imply Jeter can't put together a string of success is ridiculous given that in the year he won 19, he also won the Horizon and went to the NIT.

but if Jeter was high-major caliber, I'd think he'd be showing it by now.

Who needs high-major caliber?  We're talking UW-Madison here.  Did you mean to use the hyphen, or are you high, major? 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #330 on: August 13, 2015, 02:48:37 PM »

UWM's record under Bo's predecessor (Ric Cobb):  28-81
UWM's record under Jeter's predecessor (Bruce Pearl):  86-38

Bo literally replaced the worst coach in UWM basketball history.  The program was a mess.  A winning record in Bo's first year was considered a minor miracle.  UW had a lot of people pushing for Bo, and they thought he proved something at a Division 1 school...albiet UWM.  They were right.

Rob Jeter replaced the most successful coach in UWM history.  He made the NCAA with Pearl's recruits in the first year, and then hasn't done much of anything in the nine years since.  A NIT bid, a CBI bid, and an NCAA bid when they won the Horizon League as a fifth seed.  And now they are on academic probation.

So is your answer A, B or C?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #331 on: August 13, 2015, 02:52:39 PM »
So is your answer A, B or C?

None really.  They hired him because of his success at Platteville PLUS his relative success at Milwaukee that proved that he could coach in D1.

Rob Jeter has no success prior to Milwaukee. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #332 on: August 13, 2015, 03:10:04 PM »

None really.  They hired him because of his success at Platteville PLUS his relative success at Milwaukee that proved that he could coach in D1.

Perhaps... yet he was responsible for kicking off Bo's success at Platteville.

Check.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #333 on: August 13, 2015, 03:15:02 PM »
Perhaps... yet he was responsible for kicking off Bo's success at Platteville.

Check.

He was on the first of his four national championship teams and was a fantastic player at that level.  That doesn't mean he can coach.  I mean Quinn Buckner was a similar player for Bobby Knight and was a terrible coach.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #334 on: August 13, 2015, 04:38:25 PM »

not to mention UW basketball when Bo was hired was a FAR lower-profile program than coming off back-to-back FF runs.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #335 on: August 13, 2015, 04:52:47 PM »
not to mention UW basketball when Bo was hired was a FAR lower-profile program than coming off back-to-back FF runs.

Really good point. If UW goes the mid-major route, it will be a high profile mid-major name. Someone like Ben Jacobson. Otherwise, they'll look for a prominent name. Not saying they'll land one, but if they go for someone who hasn't established themselves, it will likely be Gard. Right now, he'd be a bigger name hire than Jeter.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #336 on: August 13, 2015, 06:18:03 PM »

I guess Wisconsin coming off the 2000 Final Four was a 'program in trouble?'

Personally, I think Bo Ryan was handed the keys to a luxury automobile. To his credit he sustained the success. 

Death on call

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #337 on: August 13, 2015, 07:11:37 PM »
I guess Wisconsin coming off the 2000 Final Four was a 'program in trouble?'

Personally, I think Bo Ryan was handed the keys to a luxury automobile. To his credit he sustained the success.

To be fair they had three NCAA appearances since the 40s... It's like billy Donovan, he inherited a program with no bball tradition that had suddenly had some success and he was able to capitalize.
Maigh Eo for Sam

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #338 on: August 13, 2015, 08:01:06 PM »
To be fair they had three NCAA appearances since the 40s... It's like billy Donovan, he inherited a program with no bball tradition that had suddenly had some success and he was able to capitalize.

No doubt they had a very mediocre history but Ryan inherited a Final Four program from Bennett. It is interesting to ponder how Ryan would have fared had he taken over from a Steve Yoder.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #339 on: August 14, 2015, 09:43:08 AM »
What people? Do you mean Bo himself? Wasn't he the one who said he was retiring in a year and now having second thoughts? I guess maybe he jumped the gun.

I just don't think he wants to go out yet, especially after this coming season.  He would have been better off to retire after this past season, but yes I think he is coming back.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #340 on: August 14, 2015, 10:10:23 AM »
I just don't think he wants to go out yet, especially after this coming season.  He would have been better off to retire after this past season, but yes I think he is coming back.

..."people" did not "jump the gun."  Bo Ryan announced he was retiring.  Should "people" have not reported it, not discussed it, and just ignored it?  Bo Ryan is the person who jumped the gun.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #341 on: August 14, 2015, 10:18:59 AM »
http://thebiglead.com/2015/08/13/bo-ryan-and-barry-alvarez-feuding-about-the-next-badgers-basketball-coach/

Bo Ryan and Barry Alvarez Feuding About the Next Badgers Basketball Coach?

Bo Ryan offered up what appeared to be a stunner this week: Remember how I said in June I was going to retire after this season? Yeah, not so sure about that anymore.

That’s what it sounds like on the surface. What basketball insiders behind-the-scenes are saying is much juicer. As the story goes, Bo Ryan wants his associate head coach, Greg Gard, to be his replacement. Gard has been with the program for 14 years. Ryan wants Gard to get the same deal that Mike Hopkins is getting at Syracuse – “coach-in-waiting” for Jim Boeheim.

But it sounds like Wisconsin AD Barry Alvarez isn’t ready to hand the job to Gard. The rumored reason? Because of the incredible job Ryan and Gard have done the last two years – getting Wisconsin to the Final 4 – the Badgers opening is suddenly much more attractive than it was five years ago. Sure, we could give it to Gard but … what if we could snag a big name with head coaching experience and keep this machine rolling?

Could Alvarez steal Tony Bennett from Virginia? Bennett is from Wisconsin, was a former assistant there, his Dad coached there, and his star has never been brighter. His family is still in Wisconsin. Virginia’s had a splendid 2-year run that could end after this season. What about Northern Iowa coach Ben Jacobson? He’s built Northern Iowa into the second best program in the Missouri Valley Conference.

If that’s what Alvarez is thinking, Ryan has two options: 1) Stay on as head coach beyond this year (not what he wants, as he turns 68 in December) or 2) Suddenly step down before this season begins so that the Badgers have to promote Gard to “interim” head coach, and he has a chance to succeed with talented players like Nigel Hayes and Bronson Koenig.

It’s going to be a fun 12 weeks in Madison as this unfolds.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #342 on: August 14, 2015, 10:51:05 AM »
Hopefully Skeletor will channel his inner Brett Favre and destroy any continuity in the rodent program.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #343 on: August 14, 2015, 11:03:21 AM »
Hopefully Skeletor will channel his inner Brett Favre and destroy any continuity in the rodent program.

Just like Brett Favre destroyed any continuity in the Packers program.

Oh wait...

;)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #344 on: August 14, 2015, 12:21:04 PM »
Come on man, let this hater hate.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #345 on: August 14, 2015, 12:28:33 PM »

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #346 on: August 14, 2015, 12:53:00 PM »
bo and barry were both great coaches, and they have two of the biggest ego's you can find (and we found plenty in TC and BW).  those egos are bound to clash over the future of the program, and it's going to be enjoyable to watch. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #347 on: August 14, 2015, 01:38:35 PM »
Do you just make this sh1t up?? There is no "power struggle" between Ryan and Alvarez over Gard because Alvarez doesn't care if Ryan comes or goes.

You pretend you are a connected insider... #donedeal

http://thebiglead.com/2015/08/13/bo-ryan-and-barry-alvarez-feuding-about-the-next-badgers-basketball-coach/

Brew isn't the only one saying this. No need for the unwarranted attack of character
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #348 on: August 14, 2015, 02:09:45 PM »

Brew isn't the only one saying this. No need for the unwarranted attack of character

You must be talking about BrewCity...the leading perpetrator of unwarranted character attacks.

Death on call

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #349 on: August 14, 2015, 02:13:34 PM »
You must be talking about BrewCity...the leading perpetrator of unwarranted character attacks.

I for one prefer character assassinations. They usually are cleaner,  to the point and done in the shadows.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.