[Today at 10:40:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:14:22 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: True Detective, Season 2  (Read 16725 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: True Detective, Season 2
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2015, 09:44:10 AM »
S2 doesn't compare to S1 in any way shape or form in my opinion.  Going out to lunch Friday with my old HBO counterparts, but I suspect they feel the same.  Last week's episode was good, but last year I literally couldn't wait until the next episode each week.  It was a build up, folks at the office all into it.  This year, not anything close to the drama, the acting, etc.  IMO.  No way would I put last week's episode as best of both seasons, but again to each their own. 

I do agree the last episode last year was a bit of a disappointment, but part of that is because each week was so brilliant the bar was set high.  The reason last week's episode ranks well, is because most of this year has been not great....low bar.

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2015, 09:55:45 AM »
S2 doesn't compare to S1 in any way shape or form in my opinion.  Going out to lunch Friday with my old HBO counterparts, but I suspect they feel the same.  Last week's episode was good, but last year I literally couldn't wait until the next episode each week.  It was a build up, folks at the office all into it.  This year, not anything close to the drama, the acting, etc.  IMO.  No way would I put last week's episode as best of both seasons, but again to each their own. 

I do agree the last episode last year was a bit of a disappointment, but part of that is because each week was so brilliant the bar was set high.  The reason last week's episode ranks well, is because most of this year has been not great....low bar.

Exactly.

Season 1's worst episode is better than any episode from this season. Two different levels completely.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2015, 12:01:27 PM »
This week's episode was good. Tension was well built. For me it still hasn't reached the heights of Season 1 (tracking shot episode was ridiculously amazeballs), but it's improved consistently and I'm looking forward to the finale.

I also like the development of Vaughn. They've done a good job building him up as that guy you aren't sure if you should cheer for or against. That's actually one thing I like about many of these characters. Vaughn is the guy who built himself from nothing only to see it all being taken away. Why he does what he does makes sense. Velcoro turned after his wife's rape, it all makes sense. That's the part of this show I really like. Bezzerides, Paul, their storylines are understandable and relatable.

This is definitely a show that should improve with a second viewing. I'm confident there's stuff from the first couple episodes that will be missed, and that the storyline will become even more clear a second time around.

It was 100% makes more sense when you don't have to wait week after week and are not sure where they mare building too.

I've already re watched the first 3 eps(weakest ones on first viewing) and they are far better because I actually know what the heck is going on 100% of the time.

Hoping the finale comes together.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2015, 11:18:34 PM »
Solid ending, albeit predictable. Stronger ending than S1, but still not as good overall. I just rewatched the last 20 minutes of S1E4 yesterday. Absolutely breathtaking stuff, arguably the greatest thing I've ever seen on television.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2015, 11:27:32 PM »
It was good, but because the season mostly sucked it stands out more.  S1 the season was so great, the bar impossibly high to have an ending that would satisfy most.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2015, 12:00:35 PM »
I liked the acting by the four principals.    I really liked what Vaughn did at the end.   However, the writing, the plotline, the directing,  were just plain bad.    I spent too much of the last two episodes trying to remember characters who had 5 minutes of screen time during first few episodes.    Summed up perfectly by McAdams going into the clinic with the lights out and finding the director dead of a 'suicide' and the files gone.    Two minutes of 'huh'?   Too many answers from left field too fast.   Meeting the two kids, one of them the murderer that started the whole series,  from the jewel robbery that was the precipitating event for the entire series and then having them disappear in 10 minutes?   

Ultimately, a fail in my book. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 05:42:29 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2015, 02:27:57 PM »
I liked the acting by the four principals.    I really liked what Vaughn did at the end.   However, the writing, the plotline, the directing,  were just plain bad.    I spent too much of the last two episodes trying to remember characters who had 5 minutes of screen time during first few episodes.    Summed up perfectly by McAdams going into the clinic with the lights out and finding the director dead of a 'suicide' and the files gone.    Two minutes of 'huh'?   Too many answers from left field too fast.   Meeting the two kids, one of them the murderer that started the whole series,  from the jewel robbery that was the precipitating event for the entire series and then having them disappear in 10 minutes?   

Ultimately, a fail in my book.

I do think that ending style is somewhat Nic Pizzolatto's style, and we saw it in the first season as well. In most stories like TD, the villain is usually among the characters throughout, or someone the characters are familiar with. Pizzolatto in both seasons pretty much only brought his main villain in at the end, so it feels a bit disjointed. It takes some of the mystery out of the show when the viewers couldn't possibly guess what's going on because they don't get all the clues until the end.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2015, 02:10:47 AM »
I gave it the ol' college try.

I watched episode 1 -- hated it. I watched episode 2 and was bored. I got halfway through episode 3 and dozed off -- and I just about never doze off when watching TV.

I thought maybe I missed something, so I re-watched episode 1. Hated it even more.

That was enough.

I sat through the entire season of John From Cincinnati, and I wasn't going to do anything like that ever again!

I love lots of shows on HBO and Showtime (as well as AMC and FX and Netflix), but they put out clunkers sometimes, too.

I really enjoyed season 1 of True Detective, and I'll give season 3 a chance, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brandx

« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2015, 11:05:34 AM »

I sat through the entire season of John From Cincinnati, and I wasn't going to do anything like that ever again!

I wasted 12 hours of my life on that one too. Started with some interesting characters, so the assumption was that something would happen in the story. It never did.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2015, 10:14:24 PM »
I wasted 12 hours of my life on that one too. Started with some interesting characters, so the assumption was that something would happen in the story. It never did.

Yeah, thank goodness for chat boards like this one. That's the kind of thing a person can only admit under the cloak of anonymity!!

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2015, 06:18:16 AM »
So, who was the man who took Bezzerides into the woods for 4 days, or was that only a device to show that she had low self esteem as a child?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2018, 11:15:51 PM »
Saw the first episode of season 3 tonight, won’t come out until January officially.  Very good.  Feels like we are back on the right track like season one.

The lead actor was in Hidden Figures and Moonlight....Mareshala Ali.  Good stuff.  Anyone that saw season two was disappointed, but this has a lot of promise.  Set in the Ozarks in the 1990’s.  Harrelson and McConeaughy are both exec producers on this.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2018, 11:53:42 PM »
Saw the first episode of season 3 tonight, won’t come out until January officially.  Very good.  Feels like we are back on the right track like season one.

The lead actor was in Hidden Figures and Moonlight....Mareshala Ali.  Good stuff.  Anyone that saw season two was disappointed, but this has a lot of promise.  Set in the Ozarks in the 1990’s.  Harrelson and McConeaughy are both exec producers on this.

Just saw Ali in "Green Book" with Viggo Mortensten. Both were excellent, so was the movie.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2018, 06:04:15 AM »
Marquette’s own Brian Distance (Class of 87) is in “Green Book.” He was a lacrosse teammate of mine at MU. Fantastic human being. There was a recent article about him on the MU Twitter feed.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2018, 04:08:53 PM »
Ha, just read all of my old comments on this thread, and stand by all of them 100%.

Season 2 sucks. With the further passage of time everyone seems to agree, even HBO: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/hbo-reveals-why-true-detective-season-2-sucked-a6798516.html

I do hope Season 3 is back to something resembling the quality of Season 1. I will give it a shot.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2018, 04:37:16 PM »
Ha, just read all of my old comments on this thread, and stand by all of them 100%.

Season 2 sucks. With the further passage of time everyone seems to agree, even HBO: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/hbo-reveals-why-true-detective-season-2-sucked-a6798516.html

I do hope Season 3 is back to something resembling the quality of Season 1. I will give it a shot.

I've handled the HBO biz here for most of the last 10 years, and they will tell you the same....season 2 was not good.  I enjoyed season 3 first episode, has potential.  Cast is pretty strong, and Woody and Matthew are involved in this as executive producers. Fukunaga, the director for season one, is also an exec producer this year.  I think you will like.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2019, 02:45:44 PM »
Mahershala Ali won the Oscar the other night for Green Book, he is amazing on True Detective.

Did you know he played D1 basketball at Saint Mary’s for four years from 1992-1996?  Point guard.

Averaged 7 points per game his senior year.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2019, 10:47:55 AM »
Mahershala Ali won the Oscar the other night for Green Book, he is amazing on True Detective.

Did you know he played D1 basketball at Saint Mary’s for four years from 1992-1996?  Point guard.

Averaged 7 points per game his senior year.

Did not know that. He is one of my favorite actors. Still need to check out Season 3.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2019, 11:01:28 AM »
Did not know that. He is one of my favorite actors. Still need to check out Season 3.

You won't regret it.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2019, 09:34:19 PM »
I was mildly disappointed in Season 3.

It was miles better than Season 2, don't get me wrong, but based on what I had heard, I thought it would be at least as good as Season 1. And it wasn't. A lot of hopping around from one year to the next, some hard-to-believe plot turns, I won't spoil anything about the ending. The acting in general was very good, though.

Again, not saying it was bad by any means. I just went in with too-high expectations, I guess.

Back to GOT now. Mrs. 82 and I are halfway through Season 6. (I've seen the whole series once, this is her first time watching. Love it!) Should be able to finish up before Season 8 starts in a month and a half.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2019, 10:53:34 AM »
My wife and I have been waiting for GOT to come back to re-activate HBO. We will probably catch up on True Detective at that point.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2019, 12:39:35 PM »
Better than season 2.  Not as good as season 1.    I like the time slips.  The ending felt too neat and too contrived.    Well acted.  I enjoyed it.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2019, 04:22:18 PM »
I was mildly disappointed in Season 3.

It was miles better than Season 2, don't get me wrong, but based on what I had heard, I thought it would be at least as good as Season 1. And it wasn't. A lot of hopping around from one year to the next, some hard-to-believe plot turns, I won't spoil anything about the ending. The acting in general was very good, though.

I loved Season 3.... until the last episode. Way, way too contrived of an ending. Spoiled the entire season.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2019, 04:48:41 PM »
Better than season 2.  Not as good as season 1.    I like the time slips.  The ending felt too neat and too contrived.    Well acted.  I enjoyed it.

This is how I felt but I didn't want to say anything about the ending for those who haven't seen it.

The last episode gave far too neat an ending. And really, the whole notion that 2 very old ex-cops, including one with Alzheimer's, could solve a case that had been cold for decades ... look, I'm willing to suspend reality a little when I watch TV. It's TV! But really.

Having said all that, I liked the season (just didn't love it as I thought I would), especially the first 5-6 episodes, and I thought the acting was top-notch.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2019, 06:38:52 AM »

Agree. Season 3 had a good buildup to a bland end.  My wife and I loved it up until then and said "Ehh" about the final episode.