'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Jordan McCabe  (Read 27152 times)

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Re: Jordan McCabe
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2015, 10:36:59 AM »
As a 20 year old freshman, he will be playing against mostly 19, 20, and 21 year olds that have years of college conditioning. The age difference will be negated as will the physical disparity. Might he still be a standout? Possibly. But there are factors working against that.

First, right now he's well into puberty while most of the opposition are just starting their growth spurts. Not only is there a bigger physical difference between an average 16 and 14 year old than he'll see as a freshman, but he'll also go from being ahead of the curve physically to bring behind the curve due to everyone else having years of higher level conditioning and training (just look at Cohen's growth thanks to a college training program).

Second, his style of play isn't the type that tends to translate going up levels. McCabe has a great handle and flash, but how often do flashy mixtapes belie kids that don't have the same next level dominance (Juan comes to mind)? As defenses get better, the flash and tricks come up short as players who are more technically sound are more likely to continue being able to display the same skills.

Maybe he'll end up being a great college player. Maybe he'll continue to dominate regardless of age level. But it's definitely a situation where a healthy dose of skepticism is certainly fair.

I agree with all of this.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2015, 11:05:51 AM »
Agree--I for one don't think he will be a star at the next level. But,  if he goes to a place that allows him to have the ball in his hands a lot of the time he certainly will be able to show what he has.

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2015, 12:25:55 PM »
Jordan and Travis are very different. Travis didn't weigh 100lbs until the late summer before his Fresh year at FDL. He was tiny and looked about 10 years old. He was able to start on a state tourney team because he never made a bad decision. At one point he had a 20/1 asst/to ratio. Jordan is much more mature physically and much more of a showman. While Jordan may put a bit more flair in his passes he has nothing on Travis at a similar age. As far as handle goes, Jordan can do it all but I don't know if Travis was ever stripped as a high school player. Also for the guy that said Travis and Drake never passed the ball...he led the FVA in assists and scoring. I am happy for Jordan for the offer but lets see how he evolves. Diener improved every year. I remember telling Jay Bilas after his  Soph year at MU that he would play in the NBA. He laughed at me...I told him he didn't understand his work ethic.

I am not familiar with Travis's assist to TO ratio and cannot find any stats to validate, but I know for a fact he did not go his whole HS career without ever being stripped.  Looking back at his numbers he did lead the FVA in scoring and assists his senior year, but to say Jordan has nothing on Travis at a similar age is just flat out wrong.  Travis as a Junior averaged 19 points and 5 assists (with another D1 player playing next to him).  Jordan as a Freshman averaged 15 and 5 with no other D1 prospects on the roster.  Travis is clearly the better overall player and I am not debating that at all, but it is not as far off as some are making it seem and while Jordan has flash to his game when you watch a regular season game of his he makes all the right reads and decisions.  That does translate to the next level. Travis worked his butt off, I agree and that definitely came through with his continuous improvement and nice professional career.  Jordan also is a gym rat and spends all the time he can in the gym, so I expect you will see continuous improvement as well.  I agree he probably does not have the size to be a superstar in college, but he will be a very good starter on a D1 team.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 12:28:35 PM by NWarsh »

Fred Garvin

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2015, 01:58:27 PM »
Who would have a better staff in the country to evaluate him.Travis,Wojo,and coach Nelson have my voet.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2015, 02:47:21 PM »
I am not familiar with Travis's assist to TO ratio and cannot find any stats to validate, but I know for a fact he did not go his whole HS career without ever being stripped.  Looking back at his numbers he did lead the FVA in scoring and assists his senior year, but to say Jordan has nothing on Travis at a similar age is just flat out wrong.  Travis as a Junior averaged 19 points and 5 assists (with another D1 player playing next to him).  Jordan as a Freshman averaged 15 and 5 with no other D1 prospects on the roster.  Travis is clearly the better overall player and I am not debating that at all, but it is not as far off as some are making it seem and while Jordan has flash to his game when you watch a regular season game of his he makes all the right reads and decisions.  That does translate to the next level. Travis worked his butt off, I agree and that definitely came through with his continuous improvement and nice professional career.  Jordan also is a gym rat and spends all the time he can in the gym, so I expect you will see continuous improvement as well.  I agree he probably does not have the size to be a superstar in college, but he will be a very good starter on a D1 team.

Oops!  He's the same height as MU's newest player, Andrew Rowsey.  

I'm not really concerned with his height.  What concerns me is the remarks from others who have seen him that he lacks quickness, particularly lateral quickness.  The consensus is that he is a savant when it comes to handling the ball.  Developing one skill to that extent isn't enough to make it in college ball.  Others have said that he possess great passing skills as well.  that combined with the ball handling gets him into a Division I program somewhere.

A lack of quickness could negate his ball handling if he can't use it to his advantage to drive to a spot ahead of the defense.  Can he defend?  Can he get his shot off over defenders, or won't he be quick enough?  Can he succeed playing within an offense that isn't designed around taking maximum advantage of his skills?  

Then again Murphieus (sp?) used to say that Travis lacked the strength be able to get his shot off.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2015, 02:48:46 PM »
Who would have a better staff in the country to evaluate him.Travis,Wojo,and coach Nelson have my voet.

Have they offered?

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Fred Garvin

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2015, 03:13:39 PM »
Too early only been to campus and met with coaches a few times.Probably been to Wisc. A few more times.Its close,and Dad went to MU for a while,so their familiar with MU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2015, 03:40:52 PM »
I'm not really concerned with his height.  What concerns me is the remarks from others who have seen him that he lacks quickness, particularly lateral quickness.  The consensus is that he is a savant when it comes to handling the ball.  Developing one skill to that extent isn't enough to make it in college ball.  Others have said that he possess great passing skills as well.  that combined with the ball handling gets him into a Division I program somewhere.

A lack of quickness could negate his ball handling if he can't use it to his advantage to drive to a spot ahead of the defense.  Can he defend?  Can he get his shot off over defenders, or won't he be quick enough?  Can he succeed playing within an offense that isn't designed around taking maximum advantage of his skills?

Ding ding ding!

Here's another concern with McCabe. He may have some D1 skills, but when you are talking about flashy, highlight reel type guys whose skills translate, it's the guys that are athletically at another level. The ones that are so quick, so strong, and so physically gifted (not just more mature) that they overwhelm everyone with talent.

If McCabe had the athleticism to match his handle, he'd be a top-25 guy. But without that athleticism, I worry that his handle will simply not be enough to make him a true standout D1 player.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

brandx

« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2015, 04:22:55 PM »
Any old-timers here that can make a comparison to Ernie Digregorio? Ernie was about 5'11", an unbelievable ball handler & passer, slow, but very quick hands.

He was a great college player, so maybe a poor man's Ernie D? At least the same style of player?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2015, 04:46:51 PM »
Ding ding ding!

Here's another concern with McCabe. He may have some D1 skills, but when you are talking about flashy, highlight reel type guys whose skills translate, it's the guys that are athletically at another level. The ones that are so quick, so strong, and so physically gifted (not just more mature) that they overwhelm everyone with talent.

If McCabe had the athleticism to match his handle, he'd be a top-25 guy. But without that athleticism, I worry that his handle will simply not be enough to make him a true standout D1 player.
I agree with this and your previous post on this. A D1 athlete ,no matter what the sport ,has athletic qualities that set them apart from others.

That is why I still think McCabes best course of action is to use his basketball to get into a very good D3 school. I know he has supposedly gotten a D1 offer from Missouri and may get others D1 offers  as certain coaches may speculate that in four years he will become stronger and could in fact become a modern day Ernie Digregorio. If he were 14 I would agree but he is 17 and that is why I am skeptical.

Everything in my experience tells me his skills combined with athletic ability will not easily translate into success at the High Major and Mid Major level and he will ride pine. One possibility is he may be able to go the route that Jake did and play at a school like South Dakota State( or Andrew Rousey) for a few years and then if a proven success and transfer.  

At the end of the day I still say lets see where he is at in his senior year. Riley LaChance was a bigger and more athletic and did develop into a very good player in his first year at Vanderbilt. If that is the player that McCabe can develop into ,then it will be a different story.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Fred Garvin

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2015, 10:25:44 PM »
Offers today from Depaul and yesterday from UWGB and UW Milw. And he was on campus in Monday night

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2015, 09:00:49 AM »
He also has a mizzou offer.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2015, 09:47:27 AM »
I watched McCabe two weeks ago at the Chicago Classic. He had a couple of awful shooting games in the gold bracket, but the competition was very high. The last game, the Playground Warriors were blown out by Indiana Elite -- a complete a$$ whooping. I have not seen a better handle at any level, he is very Harlem Globetrotter-esque. Fun to watch. This Playground Warrior team is his -- meaning he pretty much never comes out and is featured all of the time. He is Ritchie Davis' next big thing, and he hypes/features him accordingly. Even as the Playground Warriors were getting pummeled by 25 late in the game, McCabel never came out and kept shooting. That ball is going up every second time he touches it -- and he touches it a lot. He has not grown at all in the past few years, and since he is significantly older than almost all the kids (it's called 15U, he is 16 and he turns 17 in beginning of Sept.), and his dad is maybe 5' 9"? I think you have close to a finished product minus the additional strength. I would say he is actually 5' 10".

I think everyone has seen his highlight reels would agree he is a talent. But watch full games against teams with good (not elite) defenders like Indiana Elite or even to a lesser extent Wisconsin United (who they played and beat the game before) and you might see a few flaws. He can take whatever shot he wants on this team with no repercussions. Since they don't have any other real guards beside Whitnall's Tyler Herro (I believe they created the roster specifically for McCabe), he can stay in forever and dominate the ball. He will blow everyone away in high school ball and when his AAU team plays the middling teams, he will get tons of highlights. He really struggles when he has a quick and lengthy defender.

Just last weekend, he made the Top 20 game at a Adidas Top 100 Camp. After watching enough of him, I think he will get a mid-major offer because of the talent and hype, but I think success will be limited because of his defense, size and lack of lateral quickness. Definitely do not want him in a MU jersey, but kudos to any kid who puts in the work to get their college paid for.

Great write-up, thank you for sharing your knowledge Freeport.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2015, 11:25:05 PM »
Preferred Walk-On status!
SS Marquette

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2015, 07:42:49 AM »
Preferred Walk-On status!

I'd be shocked if that would do it. 

Fred Garvin

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2015, 01:27:06 PM »
Depaul pushing hard,another visit soon