[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Restaurant thread (was: Re: 2017 SG LJ Figueroa)  (Read 11413 times)

ShootinOutWallsofHeartach

• Walk-On
Restaurant thread (was: Re: 2017 SG LJ Figueroa)
« on: June 15, 2015, 04:23:07 PM »
6'5" from Oldmsar, Florida.

Evan Daniels @EvanDaniels
LJ Figuerora picked up an offer from Miami, plus interest from Florida, USF, Marquette & Missouri today, per his coach.

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1517935-2017-intro-l-j-figueroa
Oldsmar is home to Tampa Bay Downs racetrack. If you play the ponies, I highly recommend visiting there. Superbly conditioned golf practice range, owned by the track, sits adjacent to the racing surface. There are even wagering machines inside the golf pro-shop! A degenerate's  dream!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 10:22:44 PM by rocky_warrior »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: 2017 SG LJ Figueroa
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 06:28:04 PM »
Oldsmar is home to Tampa Bay Downs racetrack. If you play the ponies, I highly recommend visiting there. Superbly conditioned golf practice range, owned by the track, sits adjacent to the racing surface. There are even wagering machines inside the golf pro-shop! A degenerate's  dream!

So you're saying Pitino will be visiting soon?

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 11:40:02 PM »
Quote author=GooooMarquette link=topic=47847.msg736485#msg736485 date=1434410884]
[/quote]
Doubt it, not many good Italian restaurants nearby.

No, seriously, all the great restaurants are quickly disappearing in our country, as the new generation doesn't want to maintain the rough food industry work of their fathers. Louis Pappas' place in Tarpon Springs on the Sponge Docks was the most amazing place ever. The House salad had a dollop of the best tasting potato salad ever at the bottom of the bowl. The great crooner himself, Frank Sinatra, was there a few times, and I'd bet Coach Pitino has been there. Sadly it closed a few years ago,and the Pappas grandson opened up a weak cafe featuring a plethora of meatless, snooty dishes topped with Seinfeld's hated "drizzle." " I mean, what's with all the drizzle on food today ??"
In Chicago, you could not find better than the Berghoff and the Como Inn, and they too have gone  the way of the dinosaurs. I'm frightened by how many people today are impressed with the corporate Panera Breads and Noodles cafes popping up on every corner. I digress...
 Yes, Rick likes to wager a bit, but he is no Ahmed Zayat, owner of American Pharoah. Zayat has been sued by offshore accounts for failure to pay back wagering credit granted him.

kryza

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 11:53:42 PM »
No, seriously, all the great restaurants are quickly disappearing in our country, as the new generation doesn't want to maintain the rough food industry work of their fathers.

I'm sorry, I don't wanna get political, but if anything, it's your generation (the baby boomers) that have ruined all the good things your parent's generation built. We have to clean up your mess somehow.

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 01:47:53 AM »
I'm sorry, I don't wanna get political, but if anything, it's your generation (the baby boomers) that have ruined all the good things your parent's generation built. We have to clean up your mess somehow.
First off, I'm a GenX, not a boomer. Our generation has accomplished very little. Just as there will never be another Al McGuire, there will never be another Greatest Generation, so don't misunderstand me and pit me against them. I was simply commenting how great American restaurants have often slowly disappeared as the children of hard-working immigrants would rather forego the family business to pursue other goals.
   At the risk of being mistakenly identified as the old curmudgeon on the other MU board, let me say," Keep posting on Pinterest  and Instagram those pics of your  PandaExpress dinner." Keep doing what your told by Corporate America, buy that next Apple phone they told you to line up for, and stay ignorant.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 04:04:30 AM »
I know this is Scoop, but this has to be a record for the quickest a thread has ever gone 9,000 miles off topic. 4 posts and a thread about a recruit is a discussion of restaurant history? My god, how long have you been desperately hoping someone would give you a vague reason to use that rant?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 04:29:46 AM »

LJ Figuerora

One of the larger than life figures at Marquette back in the day was Nestor Figueroa. He did public radio in Milwaukee but was proud to work at the Danish World smut shop on Wisconsin Avenue.

Nestor was Ed Figueroa's cousin and he would get us player tix at Will Call when the Yankees were in town. We watched in stunned silence one night as Nestor pounded six Hot Bean's at Real Chili after a hard night at the 'Lanche.

Somehow, the world was different after that event. There were gas lines, the prime rate was north of 20%, and a peanut farmer was President but we had watched a man down six bowls of Real Chili in less than 30 minutes. We knew that America would be all right after that night. 

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 05:54:59 AM »
Somehow, the world was different after that event. There were gas lines, the prime rate was north of 20%, and a peanut farmer was President but we had watched a man down six bowls of Real Chili in less than 30 minutes. We knew that America would be all right after that night. 

I'm impressed.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 06:42:35 AM »
One of the larger than life figures at Marquette back in the day was Nestor Figueroa. He did public radio in Milwaukee but was proud to work at the Danish World smut shop on Wisconsin Avenue.

Nestor was Ed Figueroa's cousin and he would get us player tix at Will Call when the Yankees were in town. We watched in stunned silence one night as Nestor pounded six Hot Bean's at Real Chili after a hard night at the 'Lanche.

Lord have mercy on that man's colon.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 08:33:39 AM »
First off, I'm a GenX, not a boomer. Our generation has accomplished very little. Just as there will never be another Al McGuire, there will never be another Greatest Generation, so don't misunderstand me and pit me against them. I was simply commenting how great American restaurants have often slowly disappeared as the children of hard-working immigrants would rather forego the family business to pursue other goals.
   At the risk of being mistakenly identified as the old curmudgeon on the other MU board, let me say," Keep posting on Pinterest  and Instagram those pics of your  PandaExpress dinner." Keep doing what your told by Corporate America, buy that next Apple phone they told you to line up for, and stay ignorant.

I'm a GenXer and this is just an awful post.  Stop painting everyone with a broad brush.

I went to the Berghoff once and will not be back.  Food is too heavy.  There are plenty of places that aren't chains that offer food more to my liking....needs to be lighter and a little spicy.  And I have never been to Panda Express in my life.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 09:08:10 AM »
Quote author=GooooMarquette link=topic=47847.msg736485#msg736485 date=1434410884]

No, seriously, all the great restaurants are quickly disappearing in our country, as the new generation doesn't want to maintain the rough food industry work of their fathers. Louis Pappas' place in Tarpon Springs on the Sponge Docks was the most amazing place ever. The House salad had a dollop of the best tasting potato salad ever at the bottom of the bowl. The great crooner himself, Frank Sinatra, was there a few times, and I'd bet Coach Pitino has been there. Sadly it closed a few years ago,and the Pappas grandson opened up a weak cafe featuring a plethora of meatless, snooty dishes topped with Seinfeld's hated "drizzle." " I mean, what's with all the drizzle on food today ??"
In Chicago, you could not find better than the Berghoff and the Como Inn, and they too have gone  the way of the dinosaurs. I'm frightened by how many people today are impressed with the corporate Panera Breads and Noodles cafes popping up on every corner. I digress...
 Yes, Rick likes to wager a bit, but he is no Ahmed Zayat, owner of American Pharoah. Zayat has been sued by offshore accounts for failure to pay back wagering credit granted him.
I don't know where you live, but in my town the number of very creative restaurants being started by young foodies is off the charts.    Menus that reflect the current appetites, not the food preferences of my grandparents.    Microbreweries with wood-fired pizzas, food to table restaurants combining multiple ethnic styles.    Most started by younger people or local groups that deliberately make each of their restaurants different from the others.    I can't tell you the last time I went to dinner at a chain restaurant (other than when traveling).

By the way, young Mr. Figueroa, MU has a lot to offer.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 09:08:43 AM »
I don't know where you live, but in my town the number of very creative restaurants being started by young foodies is off the charts.    Menus that reflect the current appetites, not the food preferences of my grandparents.    Microbreweries with wood-fired pizzas, food to table restaurants combining multiple ethnic styles.    Most started by younger people or local groups that deliberately make each of their restaurants different from the others.    I can't tell you the last time I went to dinner at a chain restaurant (other than when traveling).

+1

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 09:17:35 AM »
Divide and concur as we Republicans like to say.

Old against young, rich against poor, black against white, city folks against country folks, fast food against classic, union vs anti-union, us against them...the formula for success in life and politics.

Then we use "rant", "conspiracy theorist", or some other clever put down to win our point.   

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 09:20:02 AM »

+ The Maximum

I grew up in Appleton area, graduating high school in 1996.  The cuisines offered at that point included the following steak, Italian (only red-sauce joints), Chinese buffets, and Chi Chis).  While I no longer live there, but go back because of family, they now have Korean, Japanese, Thai, actual Mexican, etc.  

In Milwaukee it isn't enough just to open a new restaurant, but it is now such that the restaurant actually has to be good.  People have developed the ability to appreciate not only the unique tastes in different food categories, but can also assess the quality.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 09:24:37 AM »

Yes, who wants creative, great tasting food that isn't full of meat.  Who wants food that has been given some thought and is more intelligent in where it comes from and the amount of resources used to produce it.  Who wants creativity and new tastes.   :)  

Instead of a great day boat scallop slightly cooked with little to hide it's favor, let's get some of those great frozen for months old style Supper Club scallops in a bowl with cheese and bread crumbs and over cook them until they are rubbery.  That is food, I tell ya, old school.

Seriously, food is a subjective personal things.  Times change.  The good old food to many of us really isn't that good.  Subjective.  Look at all of the smaller, chef owned restaurants that are all over any bigger city and I believe it is for the better.  I'll take a creative veggie dish with unique flavors over a slab of prime rib.  I guess I don't want a bypass or colon cancer.  Subjective. Maybe some people don't mind a bypass or colon cancer  :-[

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 09:40:27 AM »

Agree completely. 

The selection of unique, creative food choices is off the charts compared to what it was years ago.  I remember when the first "Chinese" restaurant opened up near my suburban Milwaukee house about 40 years ago.  Their specialty was "chop suey"...and it was basically chopped celery and beef in a brownish gravy served over soggy rice.  In terms of restaurants, the "good old days" weren't all that good.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 09:48:07 AM »
Seriously, food is a subjective personal things.  Times change.  The good old food to many of us really isn't that good.  Subjective.  Look at all of the smaller, chef owned restaurants that are all over any bigger city and I believe it is for the better.  I'll take a creative veggie dish with unique flavors over a slab of prime rib.  I guess I don't want a bypass or colon cancer.  Subjective. Maybe some people don't mind a bypass or colon cancer  :-[

Reminds me of the local TV commercials for the Gale Street Inn in Chicago.  The proprietor is an old-school Chicago meathead and every commercial is something bashing on trendy food and bragging about how they have huge portions and no fancy reservation system.  It just comes off as completely tone deaf, especially in a renowned culinary city like Chicago.  For some reason they piss me off more than they should.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2015, 09:52:20 AM »
Divide and concur as we Republicans like to say.

Old against young, rich against poor, black against white, city folks against country folks, fast food against classic, union vs anti-union, us against them...the formula for success in life and politics.

Then we use "rant", "conspiracy theorist", or some other clever put down to win our point.   

Up the revolution, off the pigs, tune in, turn on, drop out. Evil vs good, haves vs have nots, doers vs watchers. What's it all about, Alfie? Put down the cliche-ridden crack pipe, man.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 09:54:49 AM »
Reminds me of the local TV commercials for the Gale Street Inn in Chicago.  The proprietor is an old-school Chicago meathead and every commercial is something bashing on trendy food and bragging about how they have huge portions and no fancy reservation system.  It just comes off as completely tone deaf, especially in a renowned culinary city like Chicago.  For some reason they piss me off more than they should.

Here are a few things off its menu:

Blackened Chicken: Monterey Jack cheese, mango and jicama salsa on a toasted bun

Grilled Vegetable: portabella, roasted peppers, spinach, mozzarella & chipotle crema on a ciabatta roll

Blackened Halibut: mango and jicama salsa, brown rice and green beans

Lime Crusted Whitefish: tomato vinaigrette grilled asparagus and brown rice

Yes, nothing says "we aren't trendy!!!" like jicama salsa, portabella, ciabbata rolls and chipotle.  

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 10:00:52 AM »

Yes, Rick likes to wager a bit, but he is no Ahmed Zayat, owner of American Pharoah. Zayat has been sued by offshore accounts for failure to pay back wagering
 credit granted him.

You need to hop skip off the beaten path. In Chicago wicker park and Logan square are loaded with new top notch restaurants similarly in Milwaukee the 3rd ward is jam packed with top notch food. The days where the best food was big stand alone restaurants is over sure but if you knew where to look you'd know how foolish your post is.
Maigh Eo for Sam

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2015, 11:47:03 AM »

I went to the Berghoff once and will not be back. 

Back in the day this was a great joint

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2015, 12:01:04 PM »

I agree that the food scene in America today is more vibrant than anytime since the late 19th Century when waves of immigrants brought diversity to our national palate.

A really cool aspect of being on the MS campus is the incredible smorgasbord offered by the dozens of food trucks that pitch up every day. Every continent and taste profile is amply represented. It is funny but one really does develop an appreciation for the subtle difference between a Salvadoran pupusa and Venezuelan arepas.

From where I am sitting culinary innovation in America is likely at an all time high. Some of it may be location-specific, the coasts tend to absorb external influences first, but these innovations invariably find a home in every part of America.

Death on call

brandx

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2015, 12:25:22 PM »
I can't tell you the last time I went to dinner at a chain restaurant (other than when traveling).

My favorite part of work traveling was always the food. It was usually New York City, Honduras, or Costa Rica - but the local food was always the highlight of my trips. And it seemed like there was always someone who had a little out-of-the-way favorite place to take me to.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2015, 01:03:59 PM »
If I am spending time in a new town, I will seek out local restaurants.   If I am staying the night in a motel by the interstate and moving on  the next morning, I will settle for a Chili'sApplebee'sLogan'sTGIFriday thing and just eat and move on.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2015, 01:17:43 PM »
In Chicago, you could not find better than the Berghoff and the Como Inn, and they too have gone  the way of the dinosaurs.

And in Milwaukee, Wales on Wells.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

feedback