[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wally's Track Season  (Read 3051 times)

MomofMUltiples

• All American
Wally's Track Season
« on: April 02, 2016, 07:52:55 PM »
Wally won the Joey Haines Invitational today with a height of 2.18 meters, his first win of the season.

In order to qualify for the Olympic Trials, Wally needs to jump at least 2.28 meters - equal to his personal best (and the Marquette record).  He made that height in January of last year, before the May 1 2015 qualifying period started.

Next week (April 8-9) Marquette Track and Field will be Competing at the Gibson Invitational in Terre Haute, Indiana.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 09:33:50 PM by MomofMUltiples »
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Wally's Track Season
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 07:55:15 PM »
So that's where HE was headed outta Minneapolis yesterday, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 09:28:01 PM »
7' 1.75"

Results on page 12
http://www.gosoutheast.com/documents/2016/4/2//2016_Joey_Haines_Invite_Results.pdf

Outdoor meet, high 50s somewhat windy.  My understanding is jumpers like it hot and still, but everyone has their preference.  So, I will assume this was not the best of conditions.

2.18 would have tied him for second at the D1 Indoor Championship last month

http://www.ncaa.com/2016-division-i-indoor-track-and-field-championship-results

If Wally progresses from 2.18, not only is an Olympic trials possible, but so is a NCAA championship.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 02:37:22 PM »
Wally won the Gibson Invitational at Indiana State today.

http://www.timingmd.net/Results/track/gibson_4_7_16/index.htm

His winning jump was 2.20m or 7" 2.5"

He bettered his mark of 2.18m from last week.  Getting better.

He also set a new meet and facility record (old record was 2.10m)

Wally beat Brett Pozolinski of UWM, Pozolinski jumped 2.17m to finish second.

Pozolinski was 5th at NCAA D1 indoor last month and an All-America.  He is one of the top college jumpers in the country.

Next scheduled meet is Mt. Sac in Walnut CA.  This is one of the top meets of the year.  He should be jumping against top flight competition.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 02:39:58 PM by Heisenberg »

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 02:38:54 PM »
Wally won the high jump today at the Gibson Invitational Meet at Indiana State.  He cleared a height of 2.20 m or 7'2.5", beating Brett Pozolinski from UW-M by 1".  He had enough height to clear 2.23m, but errors in form did not allow him to clear the bar.

Wally's 2.20m is 5th in the NCAA so far this year.

I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 02:39:36 PM »
Just beat me, Heisenberg.

MomofMUltiples

• All American

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 05:10:19 PM »
On April 14, Wally won his third straight high jump competition at the Cal State LA Twilight Open with a height of 2.10 m.

Tomorrow (4/16) he will jump in the Men's Gold Invitational flight at the Long Beach Invitational, where he is the top seeded jumper.  Brett Pozolinski of UWM will also be jumping in that competition.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 07:09:42 PM »
I remember back in the day Track and Field competitions in this country were very well attended. MSU used to fill up Jenison Field House for some of their indoor events.

It is fun to be following Wally at the elite levels of the sport. I think he is working toward peaking at the NCAA Championship.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2016, 04:16:27 PM »
Tough weekend for Wally as he fails to jump higher than 2.10 meters in either of his meets. Finished 4th today at the Long Beach invitational in a 3-way tie for the second best height at 2.10 meters (4th because he had more misses than the other two guys).

Next week the quest for an Olympic trial qualifying jump moves to Illinois, at the Illinois twilight meet in Champagne.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 09:09:48 PM »
For some reason Wally did not compete last Saturday at the Illinois Twilight - as I've been disconnected from the world on the high seas this weekend, I don't know if that was planned or due to "recent circumstances."  Wally is scheduled to jump this Saturday at the Drake Relays, which will mark his first head to head matchup with 2016 NCAA Indoor Champ Trey Culver of Texas Tech.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 05:22:58 PM »
For some reason Wally did not compete last Saturday at the Illinois Twilight - as I've been disconnected from the world on the high seas this weekend, I don't know if that was planned or due to "recent circumstances."  Wally is scheduled to jump this Saturday at the Drake Relays, which will mark his first head to head matchup with 2016 NCAA Indoor Champ Trey Culver of Texas Tech.
Looking forward to a strong performance.
            ---Al McGuire

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 11:27:16 AM »
Wally finished 3rd on Saturday at the Drake Relays, behind Trey Culver of Texas Tech at 2.22 meters, and Jah-Nhai Perinchief of Iowa Central Community College, who jumped the same 2.18 meters as Wally, but made it in fewer tries.  The competition was moved indoors due to rain and wind.

After clearing 2.22, Trey Culver attempted to make the Olympic standard of 2.29 meters, but missed all three attempts.

Wally has been struggling this year at heights over 2.20 m, with no current makes in competition. 

Next meet is Friday, May 6 in Madison for the Wisconsin Twilight.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 12:28:09 PM »
So far Wally is not showing 2.25m to 2.28m height (Wally'S PR 2.28m).  He needs this height to qualify for the Olympic trials, and to have a chance at the NCAA championship. (He has little chance to making the Olympics.  But if he somehow made the Olympic trials and then finished in the top three, the Olympic standard is 2.29m.  The rules are complicated but the top three go the Olympics that have also cleared 2.29m.)

Still time so not a big alarm yet.  Would be nice to see him get a SB (season best) at UW Friday.  Maybe 2.23m to 2.25m range.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2016, 12:51:49 PM »
As of two weeks ago, Wally didn't even practice with the track team. He'd just show up at meets. I don't know if he began practices after his bball career ended. 

I gotta think he will only improve if he practices. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2016, 03:16:27 PM »
Wally jumped 2.13 meters to win Wisconsin Twilight meet. I don't know what the weather was like.
            ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2016, 06:52:32 PM »
The Olympic Trials are underway. The 12 finalists cleared a qualifying round height of 2.14 meters 7-0 1/4. It was rainy and difficult conditions. Final is on Sunday.

Too bad that Wally didn't qualify for the trials. The way things worked out he may have been very competitive.
            ---Al McGuire

feedback