[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Meet Chol Marial, the 7-2 eighth grader dominating the middle school circuit  (Read 7892 times)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Meet Chol Marial.

He's a 7-2 center originally from South Sudan who now plays for West Oaks (Fla.) High School. He has an astonishing 7-11 wingspan and can run the floor rather gracefully considering his immense size.
Oh, yeah. He's also in eighth grade.

Imagine the look on player and parent's faces when they showed up to the NYBL event in Columbus, Ohio to take on Team Florida's Class of 2019 team.
We all know kids who were fully developed in eighth grade then never grew another inch again. They were 5-9 and had a mustache when everyone else was 5-6. Now everyone is 6-0 and they're still 5-9.

That won't be a problem for Marial. Who knows, he may even grow to eight feet tall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCPeKBRq37E

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
This video is fantastic.  My favorite moment is the jump ball at :14.

tower912

• All American
I want to see a birth certificate.   I have coached 5th-8th grade basketball against players that eventually went on to play low d-1 and d-2 hoops.   I came up with some decent junk defenses to slow down some of these players for a quarter/a half/ a game.    I cannot imagine trying to defend a 7-3 eighth grader. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Yikes. When I see a kid that tall, that young, I worry about Marfan Syndrome. I don't know how else a kid could get that tall that quickly.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BM1090

• All American
He actually moves really well for his size.

#UnleashSean

• All American
I want to see a birth certificate.   I have coached 5th-8th grade basketball against players that eventually went on to play low d-1 and d-2 hoops.   I came up with some decent junk defenses to slow down some of these players for a quarter/a half/ a game.    I cannot imagine trying to defend a 7-3 eighth grader. 
Triangle and two my friend.Then pray.

JWags85

• All American
Once you get over how awkward some of his jumping and dunking looks at his size and length...WOW.  He moves like he's a 6'8 swingman.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Once you get over how awkward some of his jumping and dunking looks at his size and length...WOW.  He moves like he's a 6'8 swingman.

He has a long time to get used to his size before college.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days

No kidding.  Have to consider who he is playing, but he looks pretty damn polished with all things considered.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

StillAWarrior

• All American

He moves amazingly well for being so tall at such a young age.  Over the last 5 years I've spent an awful lot of time around young athletes that are a lot taller than the norm (although not to this extreme).  At 14 years old the vast majority that are really tall (i.e., 6'2"+ girls) really don't move too well.  Coaches see them and drool because, as the saying goes, "you can't teach height."  But they are usually awkward and uncoordinated and often don't really start to put it together and dominate until they're 15-16.  For this kid to move the way he moves at 14 -- at his extraordinary height -- is really incredible.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

JWags85

• All American
He moves amazingly well for being so tall at such a young age.  Over the last 5 years I've spent an awful lot of time around young athletes that are a lot taller than the norm (although not to this extreme).  At 14 years old the vast majority that are really tall (i.e., 6'2"+ girls) really don't move too well.  Coaches see them and drool because, as the saying goes, "you can't teach height."  But they are usually awkward and uncoordinated and often don't really start to put it together and dominate until they're 15-16.  For this kid to move the way he moves at 14 -- at his extraordinary height -- is really incredible.

To clarify, went I said awkward, I meant you normally don't see someone that long and tall getting lift off the ground like that or throwing hammers down.  It looks like an adult playing on a 7 foot hoop.  I wouldn't consider his movements or how he handles his size to be awkward at all.

StillAWarrior

• All American
To clarify, went I said awkward, I meant you normally don't see someone that long and tall getting lift off the ground like that or throwing hammers down.  It looks like an adult playing on a 7 foot hoop.  I wouldn't consider his movements or how he handles his size to be awkward at all.

I understood you, and agree.  It's hard to believe that a 14-year old kid that size moves so well.  My point was that I would have expected a kid that tall at that age to be extremely awkward.  This one is not.  Frankly, a lot of 14-year olds a foot shorter than him are really awkward.

If he stays healthy, he'll be awfully good.  If he puts on weight...wow!
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Watching that he looks like the 6' sixteen year old pretty boy that plays full bore against a bunch of 4-foot tall 9-year-olds.

It will be interesting to see if he can stay mobile as he adds strength because he's a toothpick. Reminiscent of watching Thon Maker when he was 13 and just dominant.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

LA

• Starter
I'm honestly shocked at how smooth and athletic he is at this stage. As others have stated, I really hope he can stay healthy because the kid has unbelievable potential. Honestly has anyone seen a comparable big man this young with that kind of coordination?

4everwarriors

• All American
Just wanna know how he pulls off playin' for a high school team while bein' in 8th grade, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

willie warrior

• All American
He has a long time to get used to his size before college.
Unless he keeps growing...to say...8 feet. Now that would be something to see!!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Jay Bee

• All American
Just wanna know how he pulls off playin' for a high school team while bein' in 8th grade, hey?

Not uncommon.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for

From South Sudan?  Good luck with that.  I hope that this kid is at a prep school next year.  He really shouldn't be out there competing against regular high schools.  Hopefully, a prep school could provide the individual attention that I think he will probably need.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
From South Sudan?  Good luck with that.  I hope that this kid is at a prep school next year.  He really shouldn't be out there competing against regular high schools.  Hopefully, a prep school could provide the individual attention that I think he will probably need.

my thoughts exactly-remember how easy it was to get a fake i.d. from the dude down the hall?  hello choi from zimbabwe 
don't...don't don't don't don't

feedback