[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Digital Nomad  (Read 1495 times)

NCMUFan

• All American
Digital Nomad
« on: June 14, 2021, 02:49:21 PM »
Does anyone have the lifestyle of working abroad on work Visas tailored for Digital Nomads?

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: Digital Nomad
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 03:34:22 PM »
Does anyone have the lifestyle of working abroad on work Visas tailored for Digital Nomads?

Where is the job from a tax perspective based? I know people who lived in Europe but worked remotely on a job based in the US and they were on a tourist visa. So they would leave the EU Passport Zone every 3 months on trip outside the zone to get restamped for entry when they returned.
But I like to throw handfuls...

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 05:42:19 PM »
Where is the job from a tax perspective based? I know people who lived in Europe but worked remotely on a job based in the US and they were on a tourist visa. So they would leave the EU Passport Zone every 3 months on trip outside the zone to get restamped for entry when they returned.

Just have to be careful with the Schengen countries in that scenario.  They only allow 90 days in a 180-day period of time (can't just leave and re-enter).  Which is fine if you leave for 90 days I guess :)

I know Malaysia is easy for this.  Just have to pop into Thailand every couple months.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 05:45:45 PM by rocky_warrior »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 06:56:06 PM »
Just have to be careful with the Schengen countries in that scenario.  They only allow 90 days in a 180-day period of time (can't just leave and re-enter).  Which is fine if you leave for 90 days I guess :)

I know Malaysia is easy for this.  Just have to pop into Thailand every couple months.

Funny you mention Malaysia.  When I was in Penang back in October 2019 I was talking with a American business traveler who goes there about 4 times a year for work.  He loves Malaysia.  Was v thinking of retiring there.  Said if you retire there and can show you have x$ amount in your bank account they will take care of you with residency and health care on top of it being really inexpensive for a Westerner.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 07:16:53 PM »
Funny you mention Malaysia.  When I was in Penang back in October 2019 I was talking with a American business traveler who goes there about 4 times a year for work.  He loves Malaysia.  Was v thinking of retiring there.  Said if you retire there and can show you have x$ amount in your bank account they will take care of you with residency and health care on top of it being really inexpensive for a Westerner.

Oh yeah, they're supposedly changing the program, so we'll see if it stays as favorable.  And it's not "nothing", but you have to show about $2200 US in monthly income, assets of about $120k before getting the visa, and then put about $73k in a bank in Malaysia.  Those numbers go down to 83k/36k if you're over 50 (same monthly income).

But then you get a 10yr visa, and can buy into their EXCELLENT health insurance for about $1000....PER YEAR!  Certainly something my wife and I are considering once travel is allowed again (and see what the new program changes are).  We wouldn't stay all the time, but to basically be allowed to come and go at will, and potentially use their healthcare it may be worth it.

Of course, like I said, you could also just use the tourist visa and pop over to Thailand occasionally.  Love Malaysia -the country and the people really surprised me (in a good way). 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 08:06:35 PM »
Oh yeah, they're supposedly changing the program, so we'll see if it stays as favorable.  And it's not "nothing", but you have to show about $2200 US in monthly income, assets of about $120k before getting the visa, and then put about $73k in a bank in Malaysia.  Those numbers go down to 83k/36k if you're over 50 (same monthly income).

But then you get a 10yr visa, and can buy into their EXCELLENT health insurance for about $1000....PER YEAR!  Certainly something my wife and I are considering once travel is allowed again (and see what the new program changes are).  We wouldn't stay all the time, but to basically be allowed to come and go at will, and potentially use their healthcare it may be worth it.

Of course, like I said, you could also just use the tourist visa and pop over to Thailand occasionally.  Love Malaysia -the country and the people really surprised me (in a good way).

Could not agree more.  Really cool country. Amazing mix of cultural influences and a pretty diverse population, which makes it pretty accepting and open, which is certainly not common across SE Asia.  Amazing food, pretty cost effective.  If you can get past the muggy weather, you’re golden.

My Asia rep is US based but is going to spend extensive time in the region once things open up.  He normally goes for 2-3 weeks every other month or so. He was looking at apartments to rent in Shenzhen as he anticipates being there quite often.  But he’s debating maybe choosing KL and just taking the 3-4hr flight if he needs to go to Shenzhen or HK cause he’d much prefer to be there and have short flights to Indonesia and Thailand/Vietnam.  Also that way he could condense work in Shenzhen instead of a meeting a day or so like if he was temporarily based there.   He’s loved Malaysia since he started going to SE Asia in the 90s. He calls it a cheaper more fun Singapore

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 09:22:48 AM »
+1 on Malaysia.  I don't have nearly the breadth of experience as others here, but I was in Kuala Lampur at the tail end of a trip for a few days, almost as an afterthought, pre-covid last year, and was taken aback.  The diversity combined with the majority Muslim population made for a mix that really challenged a lot of my preconceptions about SE Asia and majority Muslim countries.  I definitely would like to go back, spend more time, and see more of the country.