[Today at 04:46:28 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:22:26 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:53:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[June 10, 2024, 10:45:56 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Rowsey visits MU on Wednesday...  (Read 38099 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Rowsey visits MU on Wednesday...
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2015, 12:46:57 PM »
I do not see why Rowsey would scare away Winston. Only Wojo knows if we have a realistic shot at Winston. Besides that I do not think the number of scholarships available will be much of a problem. Rowsey would leave us officially with two. I think Wojo has a good idea on whether Ellenson will stay more than one year. What if MU really turned it around next year? Does that mean Duane and/or Luke entered the draft? I do not think that will happen, but it is possible. More likely one or two players will transfer when they are not happy with their playing time.

I think Sam Hauser is going to have one of those two.  (official visit this weekend.)  And I think Coffey would be their next target.  With only one, assuming a Hauser commit, they can afford to be very picky.

Carter would "scare away Winston" more than Rowsey would.  But between Carter, Cheatham and Rowsey, MU would have plenty of guards who can play the point.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2015, 01:37:34 PM »
Except that's against NCAA rules, so, no, "Diemer" cannot do this in practice.

You probably don't think players having to match up with Wade in practice the year he was ineligible to play got any better for it either I'm guessing.  We should've just thrown Crean into practice and everything would've been just the same.

It's against NCAA for an assistant coach to participate in practice???

You do realize that Diener is a paid assistant coach on Wojo's staff?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2015, 01:40:48 PM »

Travis Diener, one of the top players in the storied history of the Marquette University men's basketball program, has joined the staff as Director of Player Personnel

Not exactly a coach.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2015, 01:43:44 PM »

You do realize that Diener is director of player personnel, and therefore prohibited from taking part in on-court activities?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2015, 01:46:38 PM »
I'm concenred that Wojo plans to use Diemer at practice.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2015, 02:01:05 PM »
I'm concenred that Wojo plans to use Diemer at practice.

Forget practice, I am concenred that Wojo isn't giving Diemer a scholarship. Maybe with that name change, the NCAA would think he's a different guy. Now that would solve any and all PG problems we might have for the next 4 years.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2015, 02:10:56 PM »
You do realize that Diener is director of player personnel, and therefore prohibited from taking part in on-court activities?

I stand corrected.  So Wojo can either upgrade him to have Carawell do it.  

The entire Idea that Rowsey hitting threes in practice is critical to Carter development next year is laughable.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 02:56:33 PM by Heisenberg »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2015, 02:26:12 PM »
Yeah, Diemer's gonna demonstrate the tacklin' dummy drill, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2015, 02:28:47 PM »

If above is true... No Cassius Winston then, with Rowsey commit?

Unfortunately it feels like a really long shot with Winston regardless of MU's roster. It's going to be tough to catch up to Michigan St.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2015, 02:57:19 PM »
That's more damning of your expectations than Jake's play.

Look at his numbers at SDSU before MU and it's too easy to get excited.
The fact that Buzz recruited him but didn't utilize him properly is a testament to Buzz not recognizing how to play to the Jake's strength. But you can't continue to set screens for a player when that means you're taking out your more effective defenders/scorers. The "switchables" have to be able to take their defenders on mano-y-mano. Still explain Jake's FT decline from SDSU; I guess he wasn't given the aggressive green light to drive to the hoop, or he was fouled by more un-athletic defenders in his conference.

The same is going to happen with Rowsey: unathletic - or at least not on par with BE guards - but can shoot.
Then add to it that he's shorter than Jake, and he's gonna get posted all game.

As a back-up, sure. But I don't see him in the starting role.
If he's there, there's more issues with the offense than I first thought.
SS Marquette

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2015, 03:14:09 PM »
I stand corrected.  So Wojo can either upgrade him to have Carawell do it.  

The entire Idea that Rowsey hitting threes in practice is critical to Carter development next year is laughable.

I don't think anyone would discount that we'd rather have Lee and Miller. That's not the point. The reality is we didn't get them and we have open scholarships. Rowsey would at worst likely be a decent backup at three positions once eligible. No, he won't be eligible for next year, but we still have two scholarships to give and it would be foolish to avoid players the staff feels can contribute.

Should the staff not recruit Sam Hauser because we haven't finished the 2015 roster? Should they stop going after Amir Coffey and Cassius Winston because we don't know where we stand with Tomasz Gielo?

You need practice players. You need guys that will make other guys better. If Rowsey is the second coming of Jake (decent defender, good three point shooter, best suited for 10-15 mpg off the bench) that's not a bad way to spend a scholarship when you have 13 to give. The problem with Jake is that he was forced into a role that he was never suited to play. If we have roster stability, that shouldn't happen to Rowsey. And if he's better than some think he will be, maybe he becomes a significant contributor.

Either way, this staff brought in a top-10 recruiting class and did well with their only transfer so far. No idea why anyone would be running this transfer down before we even know if he'll end up here.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2015, 03:19:33 PM »
Look at his numbers at SDSU before MU and it's too easy to get excited.
The fact that Buzz recruited him but didn't utilize him properly is a testament to Buzz not recognizing how to play to the Jake's strength. But you can't continue to set screens for a player when that means you're taking out your more effective defenders/scorers. The "switchables" have to be able to take their defenders on mano-y-mano. Still explain Jake's FT decline from SDSU; I guess he wasn't given the aggressive green light to drive to the hoop, or he was fouled by more un-athletic defenders in his conference.

The same is going to happen with Rowsey: unathletic - or at least not on par with BE guards - but can shoot.
Then add to it that he's shorter than Jake, and he's gonna get posted all game.

As a back-up, sure. But I don't see him in the starting role.
If he's there, there's more issues with the offense than I first thought.

Pedant time...Jake was at USD not SDSU.

Here is the statsheet comparison between Jake and Rowsey as sophomores.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=andrew-rowsey&jake-thomas=2010-2011&p1=jake-thomas

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2015, 03:39:17 PM »
1st off, I know nothing of Rowsey's abilities but reading this thread it almost reads like 'wasting' a scholarship for him to sit out 1 year would be similar to Teve not getting any offers right now for his 1 year of eligibilty.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2015, 03:59:51 PM »
I don't think anyone would discount that we'd rather have Lee and Miller. That's not the point. The reality is we didn't get them and we have open scholarships. Rowsey would at worst likely be a decent backup at three positions once eligible. No, he won't be eligible for next year, but we still have two scholarships to give and it would be foolish to avoid players the staff feels can contribute.

Should the staff not recruit Sam Hauser because we haven't finished the 2015 roster? Should they stop going after Amir Coffey and Cassius Winston because we don't know where we stand with Tomasz Gielo?

You need practice players. You need guys that will make other guys better. If Rowsey is the second coming of Jake (decent defender, good three point shooter, best suited for 10-15 mpg off the bench) that's not a bad way to spend a scholarship when you have 13 to give. The problem with Jake is that he was forced into a role that he was never suited to play. If we have roster stability, that shouldn't happen to Rowsey. And if he's better than some think he will be, maybe he becomes a significant contributor.

Either way, this staff brought in a top-10 recruiting class and did well with their only transfer so far. No idea why anyone would be running this transfer down before we even know if he'll end up here.

I don't disagree with any of this.  This all started when I said he sits out a year so he is no help to next year's team.  Then it was suggested he helps as a decent practice player and the suggestion he is vital to Carter's development because he can hit threes in practice.

That implication is we have totally given up on grad transfers for next year and crossing our fingers about next year.  We going with 10 and while they are good and we might start the season ranked or among others getting votes, things go south really fast should we get injuries sickness and/or down years.

Am I against Rowsey?  No, if Wojo wants him I'm all for it.  Right now I'm more concerned about next season and want/hope Wojo can find a player or two of Carlino's ability to fill out the roster.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2015, 04:12:32 PM »
I don't disagree with any of this.  This all started when I said he sits out a year so he is no help to next year's team.  Then it was suggested he helps as a decent practice player and the suggestion he is vital to Carter's development because he can hit threes in practice.

I wouldn't say that is vital strictly to Carter's development, but I do think having more practice players is a benefit. We added the Maches pretty much for that exact reason. He won't provide a tangible, known benefit, but I do think having another quality D1 practice player will help.

That implication is we have totally given up on grad transfers for next year and crossing our fingers about next year.  We going with 10 and while they are good and we might start the season ranked or among others getting votes, things go south really fast should we get injuries sickness and/or down years.

I don't think that's the implication at all. It's possible we go with 10, but I don't think that is the plan and I don't think the staff is expecting to do that.

Am I against Rowsey?  No, if Wojo wants him I'm all for it.  Right now I'm more concerned about next season and want/hope Wojo can find a player or two of Carlino's ability to fill out the roster.

Even had we landed Lee and Miller, I'm not sure we'd have two players that would give the kind of production Carlino did. Very rarely do grad transfers come in and lead your team in scoring and produce like Matt. My hope all along was to get two guys that could provide 40 combined reliable minutes per game and hopefully better rebounding. I think Gielo is a great fit. Quite a few other names out there I really like, even with all the people that have already committed.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2015, 04:23:22 PM »
I wouldn't say that is vital strictly to Carter's development, but I do think having more practice players is a benefit. We added the Maches pretty much for that exact reason. He won't provide a tangible, known benefit, but I do think having another quality D1 practice player will help.

I don't think that's the implication at all. It's possible we go with 10, but I don't think that is the plan and I don't think the staff is expecting to do that.

Even had we landed Lee and Miller, I'm not sure we'd have two players that would give the kind of production Carlino did. Very rarely do grad transfers come in and lead your team in scoring and produce like Matt. My hope all along was to get two guys that could provide 40 combined reliable minutes per game and hopefully better rebounding. I think Gielo is a great fit. Quite a few other names out there I really like, even with all the people that have already committed.

Brew, Who do you like that is still available? not a loaded question, it's coming from someone who is completely in the dark on the revolving door that is grad transfers.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2015, 04:59:57 PM »
Brew, Who do you like that is still available? not a loaded question, it's coming from someone who is completely in the dark on the revolving door that is grad transfers.

Gielo is the one we've been linked with and seems to fit the need. Can score a bit, shoot from three, rebound, and has great size down low.

I also really, really like Alonzo Nelson-Ododa. He was a high-efficiency, low usage forward at Richmond that is a fantastic rebounder and shot-blocker. Seems like he would fit this team's needs very well. While many stats are not indicative of success at different levels, I think offensive rating is a decent indicator. Usually guys that are efficient will continue to be efficient, and ZoNO was efficient. And if the staff goes after him and reels him in, I'm totally coining ZoNO.

Chris Olivier also would fit that role. Big bodied center that could likely play with Fischer. Good rebounder and put up solid scoring numbers.

I think another PG would be a huge help (not sure the staff agrees). I like Jordan Daniels from Drake. He won't wow you with stats, but he's a reliable veteran that started his career at Boston College, so he has some high-major experience. The problem he ran into at Drake was the coach that recruited him was fired and the new guy benched him in favor of his own freshman recruit. The coach that recruited him? That'd be Mark Phelps, who is now on Wojo's bench.

James White, Shawn Smith, Derrick Henry, and Derrick Gordon are all still out there and could be contributors, but if the staff has any interest, it isn't public.

Of course, my dream graduate transfer looks like he won't be transferring. I'm a huge fan of John Brown from High Point. Was really hoping he would be the player to be named later in the Dave Singleton trade. I would have taken him over Damion Lee 10 times out of 10. But it looks like he's staying at High Point to try to get them to the tournament. Too bad, he's a NBA level talent that I really believe would be a star no matter where he played.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2015, 05:34:38 PM »

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=andrew-rowsey&jake-thomas=2010-2011&p1=jake-thomas

Jake wins in rebounding and turnovers. Rowsey crushes him everywhere else. UNC Asheville was also a better team in 14-15 than South Dakota was in 10-11. They played in the Great West for crying out loud.

Rowsey is also a PG whereas Jake was a SG. Really the only reason they can be compared is that they are both white and shoot a lot of threes.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2015, 05:38:01 PM »

PT has got your back

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=47553.0
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2015, 06:07:33 PM »
Gielo is the one we've been linked with and seems to fit the need. Can score a bit, shoot from three, rebound, and has great size down low.

I also really, really like Alonzo Nelson-Ododa. He was a high-efficiency, low usage forward at Richmond that is a fantastic rebounder and shot-blocker. Seems like he would fit this team's needs very well. While many stats are not indicative of success at different levels, I think offensive rating is a decent indicator. Usually guys that are efficient will continue to be efficient, and ZoNO was efficient. And if the staff goes after him and reels him in, I'm totally coining ZoNO.

Chris Olivier also would fit that role. Big bodied center that could likely play with Fischer. Good rebounder and put up solid scoring numbers.

I think another PG would be a huge help (not sure the staff agrees). I like Jordan Daniels from Drake. He won't wow you with stats, but he's a reliable veteran that started his career at Boston College, so he has some high-major experience. The problem he ran into at Drake was the coach that recruited him was fired and the new guy benched him in favor of his own freshman recruit. The coach that recruited him? That'd be Mark Phelps, who is now on Wojo's bench.

James White, Shawn Smith, Derrick Henry, and Derrick Gordon are all still out there and could be contributors, but if the staff has any interest, it isn't public.

Of course, my dream graduate transfer looks like he won't be transferring. I'm a huge fan of John Brown from High Point. Was really hoping he would be the player to be named later in the Dave Singleton trade. I would have taken him over Damion Lee 10 times out of 10. But it looks like he's staying at High Point to try to get them to the tournament. Too bad, he's a NBA level talent that I really believe would be a star no matter where he played.

Henry wasn't on my list, but he committed to The Citadel today.

I would add Eli Carter, Jermaine Ruttley, Ge'Lawn Guyn, and Max Bielfedt to the list of possible contributors. Unfortunately, these 4 and the 7 you already mentioned are about it for me. There are some others but they would be real stretches.
TAMU

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2015, 06:25:26 PM »

Thanks for the link, Sultan.

I'm down for Rowsey if he's gonna warm the bench, provide that extra player during practices, be a cheerleader, and accept his role that he "won't get more than 5 minutes a game but that's cool because he's getting a great 'free' education at Marquette and training with quality staff and in high-end facilities."

If he thinks he'll start, no way.

Your link showed me one thing: he's a high volume shooter: he attempted 15+ shots in 16 games, which is a little more than 50% of the games last season. He also had 13 games where he attempted 10+ 3pts.

Unless you think Wojo's gonna run the inside-outside with Henry and Luke, then I can see this acquisition.

But then there's the 5 points versus GARDNER-WEBB; 5 points versus RADFORD; 3 points versus WINTHROP (all non-NCAA teams); and the 3 points versus conference leader HIGH POINT.
This does not translate well to the BE where the game is faster and more physical.

Finally, a 5'10" guard is gonna get posted.
And posterized.
BADLY.

So, again...I am not a full supporter.
SS Marquette

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2015, 07:05:07 PM »
I think he is better than you portray. For instance Jake Thas would not have gotten interest from the likes of Cincinnati had he announced a transfer.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2015, 07:43:26 PM »
Rowsey probably would help Carter learn how to play defense. He would be a tough player for an incoming freshmen to guard. I doubt Wojo would recruit Rowsey, if he did not see him as a contributor.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2015, 08:58:30 AM »
Thanks for the link, Sultan.

I'm down for Rowsey if he's gonna warm the bench, provide that extra player during practices, be a cheerleader, and accept his role that he "won't get more than 5 minutes a game but that's cool because he's getting a great 'free' education at Marquette and training with quality staff and in high-end facilities."

If he thinks he'll start, no way.

Your link showed me one thing: he's a high volume shooter: he attempted 15+ shots in 16 games, which is a little more than 50% of the games last season. He also had 13 games where he attempted 10+ 3pts.

Unless you think Wojo's gonna run the inside-outside with Henry and Luke, then I can see this acquisition.

But then there's the 5 points versus GARDNER-WEBB; 5 points versus RADFORD; 3 points versus WINTHROP (all non-NCAA teams); and the 3 points versus conference leader HIGH POINT.
This does not translate well to the BE where the game is faster and more physical.

Finally, a 5'10" guard is gonna get posted.
And posterized.
BADLY.

So, again...I am not a full supporter.

I think you are vastly underestimating Rowsey because of where he went to school. I think you are also forgetting to look at the depth chart. At PG we have Carter and.....that's it. Duane might be able to play the point and there's been speculation that Haanif could play the point (I'm skeptical on this one) but we have no backup to Carter. Hell, we don't even know that Carter will be that good. We just hope he will. I see Rowsey as a guy who gets at least 15 minutes off the bench. If Carter doesn't perform up to our expectations, than Rowsey could be our starting PG in two years.
TAMU

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2015, 09:22:07 AM »
I think you are vastly underestimating Rowsey because of where he went to school. I think you are also forgetting to look at the depth chart. At PG we have Carter and.....that's it. Duane might be able to play the point and there's been speculation that Haanif could play the point (I'm skeptical on this one) but we have no backup to Carter. Hell, we don't even know that Carter will be that good. We just hope he will. I see Rowsey as a guy who gets at least 15 minutes off the bench. If Carter doesn't perform up to our expectations, than Rowsey could be our starting PG in two years.

I agree with you. Just because he is white and 5'10" does not mean the kid can't play high level ball. I think some are jumping to conclusions that he wouldn't be very good. I think that he could be a very good role player and a complementary piece to this team going forward if we were to land him. He averaged over 33+ a game in hs, was VA player of the year, and had two seasons in d1 ball with almost 20/game. I'd give him a shot at least for depth. And like you said, we hope that Traci will be good but we have no idea yet as he is untested at the college level.