[Today at 02:05:43 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MU82
[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: "I hate the NBA"  (Read 19238 times)

MU82

• All American
"I hate the NBA"
« on: May 03, 2015, 10:01:30 AM »
Those who dismiss the NBA because of whatever reason -- too many tattoos? -- missed a heck of a series between the Clippers and the Spurs.

Saturday night's Game 7 was an instant classic. Chris Paul put on a performance under extreme physical discomfort that rivaled Jordan's "food poisoning game." His winning shot is one of the greatest I've ever seen, and I've seen thousands of basketball games.

Yes, a January NBA game between the Timberwolves and Kings can be unwatchable. As can hundreds of games on the college schedule every month.

The main advantage college basketball has over the NBA is the passion of the fans and the all-out effort of the players. But that disparity disappears once the playoffs arrive. NBA players and coaches are superior in every way to their college counterparts (for obvious reasons), so when they play with this level of motivation, it's pretty fun to watch.

I have seen numerous incredible performances already, and the first round just ended. I'm looking forward to some more great stuff, especially in the Bulls-Cavs series.

I'm not a fan of either the Bulls or Cavs, but I love watching great players perform on a big stage, regardless of sport. Watching LeBron go at Jimmy -- that alone -- will be worth the time I invest.

Then again, I don't hate the NBA.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
Re: "I hate the NBA"
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 10:08:12 AM »
The biggest problem with the NBA (like MLB) is that the regular season just has too many games.  It dates back from when the home gate meant a lot in terms of revenue.  But that is why you get a lot of sleepy games during the year, and why even the good regular season games are like sparring matches until the fourth quarter.  My guess is that if they could do it over, the regular season would be about 50-60 games.  

As much as I love the NCAA tournament, the NBA playoffs really are incredible in terms of quality of basketball.

(To be fair, I don't think those who prefer college basketball do so because of tatoos.  They like the pageantry and tradition of the college game, similar to those who prefer college football to the NFL.)

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 10:23:05 AM »
The biggest problem with the NBA (like MLB) is that the regular season just has too many games.  It dates back from when the home gate meant a lot in terms of revenue.  But that is why you get a lot of sleepy games during the year, and why even the good regular season games are like sparring matches until the fourth quarter.  My guess is that if they could do it over, the regular season would be about 50-60 games.  

As much as I love the NCAA tournament, the NBA playoffs really are incredible in terms of quality of basketball.

(To be fair, I don't think those who prefer college basketball do so because of tatoos.  They like the pageantry and tradition of the college game, similar to those who prefer college football to the NFL.)

+1

NBA playoff basketball is absolutely fantastic.  Too bad the regular season has to be done on cruise control but I think we all understand why.  Hockey has the exact same issue, maybe even more so.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 11:22:51 AM »
We were at yesterday's game at Staples Center.  First NBA game I've gone to in awhile.  It was a terrific game, one of the best games I have been to in years.  Was fortunate that a producer friend of mine and Clippers season ticket holder was in Vegas for the fight, so he gave the tickets to my daughter, wife and I. We had a great time.  Wonderful time.

Video quality poor....need to click on HD option in the settings for better resolution

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4flzYYvXIoQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4flzYYvXIoQ</a>

Having said that, I still had to witness the stupidity of one of the worst rules in any sport which is the advancement of the ball to half court.  Twice in the last 10 seconds, once by each team.  So incredibly stupid.  Can you imagine in baseball near the end of a game where a rule would be in play where we can just put a runner out on second base for having done nothing?  Or in football, we call timeout and instead of being at your own 20, you get to to move it to the 50...just cuz.  I know why they do it, for the excitement of having a chance to score in little time, but it takes away the great play the other team just did.  It is ludicrous.  

I am one that has also said that playoff basketball is so much better than regular season basketball, which is dull, boring, players aren't committed until the end of the game.  The regular season NBA is horrible in my opinion, but that's just my opinion.  

Also, I don't want the college game becoming like the NBA game.  The talent levels are so different that forcing the college kids to do what NBA talent is doing, or playing by NBA rules is a fool's errand in my view.

Doc Rivers said after the game that this series was pure basketball, no fights, no thug ball, just pure basketball. Guess what, that's why it was enjoyable.  So many of these other games, including this playoffs, are not that way.

Tonight I'm going to the Ducks playoff hockey game, which I enjoy that much more.  In hockey they bring it every night, regular season, playoffs, etc...that is part of their DNA.  I'll take playoff hockey over any other sport 7 days a week.  Not even a discussion.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 11:54:43 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 11:25:23 AM »
+1

NBA playoff basketball is absolutely fantastic.  Too bad the regular season has to be done on cruise control but I think we all understand why.  Hockey has the exact same issue, maybe even more so.

I agree on NBA cruise control.  Could not disagree more on the hockey comment.  The hitting, checking, physicality of hockey is brought each and every night.  So many more players that have to bust their butts each night to stay in the league, unlike the NBA where 95% of the players are locked in and can't or won't get sent down. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 11:34:31 AM »
I like the mid-court rule.  There are other sports that have a different set of rules toward the end of the game.  The NFL's timing rules change for instance during the last five minutes.  The MLB has a different set of rules for reviewed calls after the sixth inning.  I think the CFL stops the clock after every play in the last two minutes.  

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 01:21:08 PM »
I like the mid-court rule.  There are other sports that have a different set of rules toward the end of the game.  The NFL's timing rules change for instance during the last five minutes.  The MLB has a different set of rules for reviewed calls after the sixth inning.  I think the CFL stops the clock after every play in the last two minutes.  

Any game that results in territorial defense...hockey, NBA, NFL in which territory is a key to the success of scoring it matters.  This idea that territory no longer matters ONLY occurs in the NBA in this unique situation.  It is beyond bizarre to me.  Clock stoppage is one thing, giving up territory to make it easier to score penalizes one team for no reason whatsoever. 

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 01:38:14 PM »
Any game that results in territorial defense...hockey, NBA, NFL in which territory is a key to the success of scoring it matters.  This idea that territory no longer matters ONLY occurs in the NBA in this unique situation.  It is beyond bizarre to me.  Clock stoppage is one thing, giving up territory to make it easier to score penalizes one team for no reason whatsoever. 

I think your are over emphasizing the importance of territory between the full court and half court. That land is hardly ever defended the only reason it matters is a team is allowed to save 4 seconds bring it up. So it isn't about territory but rather the extension of time. Not sure how this is any different that nfl stopping the clock going out of bounds later in the halves? 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 01:49:50 PM »
I think your are over emphasizing the importance of territory between the full court and half court. That land is hardly ever defended the only reason it matters is a team is allowed to save 4 seconds bring it up. So it isn't about territory but rather the extension of time. Not sure how this is any different that nfl stopping the clock going out of bounds later in the halves? 

Let's use yesterday's game as an example...I don't think I'm overemphasizing it at all.  The Clippers score with 1 second left.  Now, in the college game and every other sport that I'm aware of in the world that has a goal in which to score on and territory to defend, the opposing team would have to go a long way to score.

Instead of the Spurs having to go 94 feet to score (or more likely 65 feet for a decent shot) in 1 second, they attempted an alley oop with 1 second which required about a 35 foot pass.  It failed.  Say they had 2.5 seconds left, they would have run a play that could have received a good look.....if they had to go 2.5 seconds from their own basket that is still incredibly difficult.  I disagree that you say it's more about time.  They go hand in hand.  1 second or 2.5 seconds or even 8 seconds is one part of the equation, but the distance traveled in that alloted time AND to setup a shot is the other equally important factor.  I have a chance with 1 second at half court.  I have almost no chance with 1 second under my own basket.  The odds of success increase the closer I am to the basket, regardless of time.

Don't get me wrong, both teams benefitted as the Clippers got to advance it with 8 seconds left.  No other sport does this for territorial advantange.  You have to earn territory, it isn't rewarded in chunks because you called a timeout. I pray the NCAA game never adopts this ridiculous standard.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 02:19:02 PM »
Let's use yesterday's game as an example...I don't think I'm overemphasizing it at all.  The Clippers score with 1 second left.  Now, in the college game and every other sport that I'm aware of in the world that has a goal in which to score on and territory to defend, the opposing team would have to go a long way to score.

Instead of the Spurs having to go 94 feet to score (or more likely 65 feet for a decent shot) in 1 second, they attempted an alley oop with 1 second which required about a 35 foot pass.  It failed.  Say they had 2.5 seconds left, they would have run a play that could have received a good look.....if they had to go 2.5 seconds from their own basket that is still incredibly difficult.  I disagree that you say it's more about time.  They go hand in hand.  1 second or 2.5 seconds or even 8 seconds is one part of the equation, but the distance traveled in that alloted time AND to setup a shot is the other equally important factor.  I have a chance with 1 second at half court.  I have almost no chance with 1 second under my own basket.  The odds of success increase the closer I am to the basket, regardless of time.

Don't get me wrong, both teams benefitted as the Clippers got to advance it with 8 seconds left.  No other sport does this for territorial advantange.  You have to earn territory, it isn't rewarded in chunks because you called a timeout. I pray the NCAA game never adopts this ridiculous standard.

2015-16 meme watch

Territorial Advantage

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 03:02:58 PM »
I agree on NBA cruise control.  Could not disagree more on the hockey comment.  The hitting, checking, physicality of hockey is brought each and every night.  So many more players that have to bust their butts each night to stay in the league, unlike the NBA where 95% of the players are locked in and can't or won't get sent down. 

There is probably only 10% of an NHL roster at max that is being sent up or down.  A third line winger for the Hawks playing well might get dropped to 4th line or get benched, but he's not getting sent down to Rockford.  NHL teams rest goalies like NBA teams sit stars.  The physical nature of the game makes it seem different, but NHL players are not 100% every game for 82 games.  It would be nonsensical.  The hockey players are more competitive than other sports meme needs to die.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 03:16:08 PM »

The NFL's timing rules aren't a "territorial advantage," but it is a change that allows more plays to be run toward the end of the game.  In that way, it is just like the NBA rule.

Logically it doesn't make sense, but I like it.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 03:56:48 PM »

Really?  So that's why we see teams turn it on once April rolls around?  You really think the Blackhawks play at 100% before the playoffs? 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 04:04:41 PM »
There is probably only 10% of an NHL roster at max that is being sent up or down.  A third line winger for the Hawks playing well might get dropped to 4th line or get benched, but he's not getting sent down to Rockford.  NHL teams rest goalies like NBA teams sit stars.  The physical nature of the game makes it seem different, but NHL players are not 100% every game for 82 games.  It would be nonsensical.  The hockey players are more competitive than other sports meme needs to die.

As someone who spent years working with all the major professional leagues, worked for a professional baseball and NHL team, still has many friends with the NFL, NBA, etc....I strongly disagree.

The NFL guys bring it each game because the season is short and the ability to be cut is easy.  The NHL guys also bring it because they have to due to the nature of the game itself.  If you aren't hitting or your head on a swivel, you will get hurt.   The NBA....going through the motions for way too many games.  So much so we got NBA teams parking star players on the bench for chunks of the season it is so uneventful.  Does that happen at times in the NHL?  Sure, but not to the same degree.  IMO.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 04:08:24 PM »
Really?  So that's why we see teams turn it on once April rolls around?  You really think the Blackhawks play at 100% before the playoffs? 

100%...no, but far more than the inadequate push that NBA teams and players do for much of the first half of their season.  Intensity always picks up as you approach the playoffs and once in the playoffs, that's human nature.

If you dog it in a NHL game, you have a good chance of getting hurt.  You can't afford to dog it like some of these guys in the NBA do.   If you dog it in a NBA game you're just playing an NBA game.  IMO

brandx

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2015, 04:28:03 PM »
Those who dismiss the NBA because of whatever reason -- too many tattoos? -- missed a heck of a series between the Clippers and the Spurs.

Saturday night's Game 7 was an instant classic. Chris Paul put on a performance under extreme physical discomfort that rivaled Jordan's "food poisoning game." His winning shot is one of the greatest I've ever seen, and I've seen thousands of basketball games.

Yes, a January NBA game between the Timberwolves and Kings can be unwatchable. As can hundreds of games on the college schedule every month.

The main advantage college basketball has over the NBA is the passion of the fans and the all-out effort of the players. But that disparity disappears once the playoffs arrive. NBA players and coaches are superior in every way to their college counterparts (for obvious reasons), so when they play with this level of motivation, it's pretty fun to watch.

I have seen numerous incredible performances already, and the first round just ended. I'm looking forward to some more great stuff, especially in the Bulls-Cavs series.

I'm not a fan of either the Bulls or Cavs, but I love watching great players perform on a big stage, regardless of sport. Watching LeBron go at Jimmy -- that alone -- will be worth the time I invest.

Then again, I don't hate the NBA.

C'mon, man. I thought I was gonna get to disagree here and try to set you straight - but looks like I agree on everything you said.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2015, 04:50:12 PM »

The NFL's timing rules aren't a "territorial advantage," but it is a change that allows more plays to be run toward the end of the game.  In that way, it is just like the NBA rule.

Logically it doesn't make sense, but I like it.

For giggles.  Do you think if the NFL allowed this, where a team could call timeout and move the ball forward to mid field, how would fans and teams embrace the idea?  Especially if your team had just worked their butts off to go down the field to score?

To each their own, I find it one of the most terrible rules in pro sports.  The 3 to make 2 in the NBA was up there, but they corrected that one. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2015, 05:01:49 PM »
For giggles.  Do you think if the NFL allowed this, where a team could call timeout and move the ball forward to mid field, how would fans and teams embrace the idea?  Especially if your team had just worked their butts off to go down the field to score?

The NFL is different.  NFL defenses defend every yard.  The further the offense advances, the greater the chance to score.  Territory is extremely important.

In the NBA, most of the defenses give up the backcourt.  Territory isn't as important.

Look, it's just a way to maximize possessions at the end of the game.  The NFL does the same thing with the clock changes. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 06:11:34 PM »
I like the rule.   I wish college would adopt it. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2015, 06:29:49 PM »

Likewise

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2015, 06:40:00 PM »
Was fortunate that a producer friend of mine and Clippers season ticket holder was in Vegas for the fight, so he gave the tickets to my daughter, wife and I.

chicos being chicos, aina'l?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2015, 10:50:39 PM »

I generally like that there are differences in the pro and college game, and this is another example.

Having said that, I wish college would adopt it whenever Marquette's opponent has just scored the go-ahead hoop with 3 seconds left - ha!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2015, 06:20:09 AM »
With 3 seconds left and the ball at mid-court, an actual play can be drawn up.    With 3 seconds left and the ball at the other end of the court, it is either going to be a heave and hope (throw the long pass and hope your guy catches it and makes a play), or hit a guard moving toward the basket and hope he hits a heave. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2015, 07:03:22 AM »
100%...no, but far more than the inadequate push that NBA teams and players do for much of the first half of their season.  Intensity always picks up as you approach the playoffs and once in the playoffs, that's human nature.

If you dog it in a NHL game, you have a good chance of getting hurt.  You can't afford to dog it like some of these guys in the NBA do.   If you dog it in a NBA game you're just playing an NBA game.  IMO

I'll buy that.  I suppose what I'll say is that NHL regular season performance seems to diverge from playoff performance more than in the NBA.  I think teams with true Stanley Cup potential NEED to coast a bit because the playoff grind is so intense.  Plenty of NHL regular season pretenders who simply won't be able to up their playoff game.  Does anyone really think the Preds were better than the Hawks this year?  Frankly, the Hawks are just now starting to play hockey.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2015, 07:58:54 AM »

The NFL is different.  NFL defenses defend every yard.  The further the offense advances, the greater the chance to score.  Territory is extremely important.

In the NBA, most of the defenses give up the backcourt.  Territory isn't as important.

Look, it's just a way to maximize possessions at the end of the game.  The NFL does the same thing with the clock changes. 

I agree with you on the merits. This is, though, an exceedingly minor point Chico has seized on to explain why he hates the NBA and never watches it (except when he does, like when some rich, important "friend" gives him freebies). And as for regular season games when one team doesn't try, that happens in all sports. And there's actually more incentive to "tank" in the NFL and MLB where the worst record guarantees the highest pick.

Chico is dishonest as to why he really hates the NBA. Here's some of the real reasons on his list:

1. The NBA is too black.
2. The players (who are mostly black) have too much power.

Sports with owners and coaches in control (and the athletes fungible) are more his style.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2015, 09:17:17 AM »
Enjoyed the Ducks game just as much, even though it was only game 2 in a series.   ;)  Will take playoff hockey over any sport out there.....and yes, Saturday's NBA game was a blast, but there is no comparison in my view.  All a matter of opinion, of course.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/QviY4t-Myls" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/QviY4t-Myls</a>

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2015, 09:41:23 AM »
The reason that I don't like the NBA as much as college is because the ending to that Game 7 was incredibly shady.

About 15 seconds before Paul's game-winner, he was gifted 2 go-ahead FTs when he missed a jumper with Duncan in his vicinity and went down like he was shot. The refs gave Paul the "superstar call" even though Duncan literally did not touch him. That call was followed by some very awkward seconds with Harlan and Webber on the call (presumably because Webber was prominently involved in the shadiest series in NBA history). That phantom call potentially changed the outcome of an otherwise amazing series.

I am NOT saying that the NBA blatantly fixes games. I'm not saying that AT ALL, but I do believe that the league knows the officials tendencies (homer, heel, star-lover, etc) and assigns them to games accordingly in hopes of getting the "more marketable" outcome.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2015, 09:50:03 AM »
I'll buy that.  I suppose what I'll say is that NHL regular season performance seems to diverge from playoff performance more than in the NBA.  I think teams with true Stanley Cup potential NEED to coast a bit because the playoff grind is so intense.  Plenty of NHL regular season pretenders who simply won't be able to up their playoff game.  Does anyone really think the Preds were better than the Hawks this year?  Frankly, the Hawks are just now starting to play hockey.

I would say the opposite.  The step up in NBA level of play in the playoffs is huge.  In my view, much higher than the step up in the NHL.    The Hawks also had some key injuries which hurt them.  The Preds gave the Hawks all they could handle and easily could have won that series with goal post here or there, that's how hockey is. A true game of inches.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 10:37:29 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2015, 10:17:47 AM »
The reason that I don't like the NBA as much as college is because the ending to that Game 7 was incredibly shady.

About 15 seconds before Paul's game-winner, he was gifted 2 go-ahead FTs when he missed a jumper with Duncan in his vicinity and went down like he was shot. The refs gave Paul the "superstar call" even though Duncan literally did not touch him. That call was followed by some very awkward seconds with Harlan and Webber on the call (presumably because Webber was prominently involved in the shadiest series in NBA history). That phantom call potentially changed the outcome of an otherwise amazing series.

I am NOT saying that the NBA blatantly fixes games. I'm not saying that AT ALL, but I do believe that the league knows the officials tendencies (homer, heel, star-lover, etc) and assigns them to games accordingly in hopes of getting the "more marketable" outcome.

If that were the case, San Antonio would never get to the Finals.  The NBA officials have some issues, but they are so much better than college officials.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2015, 10:57:36 AM »

If that were the case, San Antonio would never get to the Finals.  The NBA officials have some issues, but they are so much better than college officials.

Not true. The NBA gives an advantage to the team that they'd prefer to win but it doesn't always work out. Sometimes one team is simply better than another. Sometimes you end up with Spurs-Pistons in the Finals. Sometimes you have a series like Lakers-Kings, Lakers-Blazers or Bucks-Sixers where the teams were very evenly matched and the "advantage" given to one team was enough for them to win.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2015, 11:04:39 AM »
Not true. The NBA gives an advantage to the team that they'd prefer to win but it doesn't always work out. Sometimes one team is simply better than another. Sometimes you end up with Spurs-Pistons in the Finals. Sometimes you have a series like Lakers-Kings, Lakers-Blazers or Bucks-Sixers where the teams were very evenly matched and the "advantage" given to one team was enough for them to win.

Today, in "Talking points from 2001..."

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2015, 01:03:05 PM »

You used to be able to count on any NBA team coming home down 2-0 in a series getting every call in game 3.  I think once media guys like Bill Simmons started correctly predicting the foul discrepncies before the games based on the refs assigned to the games and the whole Tim Donaghy mess, the NBA moved away from that sort of thing.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2015, 01:20:16 PM »

I like how you state this as fact. Pretty funny.

So, the NBA really doesn't want the Spurs in the Finals but has screwed it up six times in the last 15 years? I love it.

Were there not horrible calls near the end of some NCAA tournament games this season?

Wasn't a mythical national football championship decided by a phantom call?

Wasn't an NFL game decided by a dubious dropped-catch call?

Were they -- and all others -- explainable by conspiracy theories?

Ugh.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2015, 01:27:04 PM »
I don't hate the NBA, I just don't waste a second of my time watching it.  (Or reading about it....other than occasionally what gets posted here).

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2015, 01:35:41 PM »
I like how you state this as fact. Pretty funny.

So, the NBA really doesn't want the Spurs in the Finals but has screwed it up six times in the last 15 years? I love it.

Were there not horrible calls near the end of some NCAA tournament games this season?

Wasn't a mythical national football championship decided by a phantom call?

Wasn't an NFL game decided by a dubious dropped-catch call?

Were they -- and all others -- explrightble by conspiracy theories?

Ugh.

No, I stated it as opinion.

I never said nor implied that the NBA "screwed up" 6 times in 15 years. I said that I believe the NBA gives an advantage to certain teams by the assigning of specific referees to their games. It's similar to giving someone a headstart in a race - it's an advantage but it doesn't necessarily mean they'll win.

There are going to be bad calls during every game in every sport. However, there are more questionable calls in NBA Playoff games that favor the more appealing team than in any other sport. So many, in fact, that there are documentaries and websites and books dedicated to some of them.

brandx

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2015, 04:54:11 PM »

I never said nor implied that the NBA "screwed up" 6 times in 15 years. I said that I believe the NBA gives an advantage to certain teams by the assigning of specific referees to their games. It's similar to giving someone a headstart in a race - it's an advantage but it doesn't necessarily mean they'll win.

There are going to be bad calls during every game in every sport. However, there are more questionable calls in NBA Playoff games that favor the more appealing team than in any other sport. So many, in fact, that there are documentaries and websites and books dedicated to some of them.

Pure conjecture - that I disagree with.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2015, 05:44:23 PM »

There are documentaries, websites and books dedicated to lots of wacky conspiracy theories.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2015, 07:00:39 PM »
I agree with you on the merits. This is, though, an exceedingly minor point Chico has seized on to explain why he hates the NBA and never watches it (except when he does, like when some rich, important "friend" gives him freebies). And as for regular season games when one team doesn't try, that happens in all sports. And there's actually more incentive to "tank" in the NFL and MLB where the worst record guarantees the highest pick.

Chico is dishonest as to why he really hates the NBA. Here's some of the real reasons on his list:

1. The NBA is too black.

Sports with owners and coaches in control (and the athletes fungible) are more his style.

As I understand it, Chico's "producer friend" is a liberal who lives in a gated community.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2015, 10:37:32 PM »

Fair enough. You are allowed to have silly opinions.

There was a series of movies about a coded map of the Declaration of Independence pointing to a national treasure, too.

Also, many documentaries "proving" aliens having landed in New Mexico, paranormal activities, people dying and "seeing the light" before coming back

All of which proves what? That the NBA wanted the Spurs to lose?

What next? The NFL didn't want the Bills in four straight Super Bowls but did a lousy job of fixing the AFC title games?

Funny stuff.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2015, 11:41:27 PM »

Chico has clearly never attended a regular season NHL game.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2015, 12:02:19 PM »
I'd be ok with the NBA if they started enforcing the 4 and 1/2 step travelling call
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2015, 10:11:46 AM »

1. The NBA is too black.

Hammer, meet nail.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2015, 10:26:30 AM »
Fair enough. You are allowed to have silly opinions.

There was a series of movies about a coded map of the Declaration of Independence pointing to a national treasure, too.

Also, many documentaries "proving" aliens having landed in New Mexico, paranormal activities, people dying and "seeing the light" before coming back

All of which proves what? That the NBA wanted the Spurs to lose?

What next? The NFL didn't want the Bills in four straight Super Bowls but did a lousy job of fixing the AFC title games?

Funny stuff.
There is no doubt in my mind that for many years the NBA assigned certain referees to the games where teams were down 2-0 and coming home for game 3.  And in those games, the home team got an inordinate amount of calls.  The goal was to avoid sweeps and at least get series to game 5.  Sometimes the teams were so mismatched it didn't matter.

I am less convinced that the NBA tried to fix entire series through referee assignments beyond what is described above, but if they would do the first thing, they leave the door open to speculation that they would do the second.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 11:24:58 AM by CTWarrior »

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2015, 10:31:12 AM »
+1

Agree with this.  There are some regular season games with playoff-like intensity, but they are few and far between.  The NBA postseason product is getting to be as exciting as it was in its heyday in the 80s.

I'm not a hockey fan, but my friends who are say that NHL playoff hockey is the best.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2015, 07:38:43 AM »
Anyone see Rockets-Clippers Game 2 last night? If so, anything squirmy about the officiating, particularly in the second half?