collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Catching up with former Marquettte president Albert DiUlio  (Read 3228 times)

Macallan 18

• Walk-On
Catching up with former Marquettte president Albert DiUlio
« on: April 29, 2015, 09:58:20 PM »
The Marquette Tribune recently had a Q&A with Fr. DiUlio including his reflections on changing from Warriors to Golden Eagles: http://marquettewire.org/2015/04/28/tribune/tribune-news/qa-with-former-university-president-albert-diulio/

Didn't know he had so many great achievements as president ;)

During his time as university president, DiUlio created the Campus Town East and West university apartments, changed the mascot from the Warriors to the Golden Eagles and implemented a new parking structure.

No mention of his using the university endowment to buy up dilapidated houses around Marquette!?!?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Catching up with former Marquettte president Albert DiUlio
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 10:30:33 PM »
Bobby Wild had the rare opportunity to clean up after two Jesuit disasters..

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 07:22:09 AM »
The Marquette Tribune recently had a Q&A with Fr. DiUlio including his reflections on changing from Warriors to Golden Eagles: http://marquettewire.org/2015/04/28/tribune/tribune-news/qa-with-former-university-president-albert-diulio/

changed the mascot from the Warriors to the Golden Eagles[/b].[/i]

I didn't think this was considered an achievement.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 08:12:42 AM »
Bobby Wild had the rare opportunity to clean up after two Jesuit disasters..

+1.  Absolute disasters.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 08:42:33 AM »
Campus Town East and West were ideas that were good in theory but poor in execution.  He also had the idea of closing Wisconsin Avenue through campus, which got everyone pissed off in the city too.

DiUlio was just not a likable guy.  He also brought in people who had no clue about how to fit into the Marquette culture.  I ran into a guy in my profession at a conference about a decade ago, and we started talking about Marquette, he said "it was the most humbling experience of his career." 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 08:48:37 AM »
The only good idea he had was to close Wisconsin Ave. to vehicular traffic. Shoulda gone a step further and pushed for a giant fence to surround the entire campus, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 08:54:15 AM »
The only good idea he had was to close Wisconsin Ave. to vehicular traffic. Shoulda gone a step further and pushed for a giant fence to surround the entire campus, hey?

I know you are kidding, but I distinctly remember that is what he *didn't* want to do saying that Marquette should be part of the solution to the problems in the neighborhood.  And he was right.  I think the Marquette campus neighborhood is a lot better now than it was then.  Marquette is part of Milwaukee.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 09:26:43 AM »

DiUlio was just not a likable guy. 

I knew he was going to be trouble when he turned his induction ceremony into a coronation.
Ludum habemus.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 09:30:12 AM »

I know you are kidding, but I distinctly remember that is what he *didn't* want to do saying that Marquette should be part of the solution to the problems in the neighborhood.  And he was right.  I think the Marquette campus neighborhood is a lot better now than it was then.  Marquette is part of Milwaukee.

Yep.  And that initiative is being enhanced under Lovell.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 10:09:41 AM »
I had a few interactions with Fr. DiUlio as an undergrad, and they were all positive.   That may be because his predecessor, Jungle Jim ( I can't believe I forgot his last name) was such a condescending twit.  Fr. DiUlio was helpful in solving a significant issue, and a couple of smaller issues.

Sad that his tenure as President was so messed up. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 10:16:46 AM by mu-rara »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 11:55:44 AM »
That may be because his predecessor, Jungle Jim ( I can't believe I forgot his last name) was such a condescending twit. 

Buck Raynor??

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 12:26:47 PM »
I had a few interactions with Fr. DiUlio as an undergrad, and they were all positive.   That may be because his predecessor, Jungle Jim ( I can't believe I forgot his last name) was such a condescending twit. 

Who are you talking about?  Jack Raynor was very approachable and a very good President.  (Although he probably should have left about five years before he did.)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 12:38:50 PM »
I interviewed once for a job that reported directly to Fr. DiUlio (not at Marquette).  It sounded like an amazing opportunity at the time.  In retrospect, I can't think of a better example of "things happen for a reason" than my not getting that job.
Have some patience, FFS.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 03:35:51 PM »
Campus Town East and West were ideas that were good in theory but poor in execution.  He also had the idea of closing Wisconsin Avenue through campus, which got everyone pissed off in the city too.

Just curious, but what was poor about the Campus Town execution?  Other than keeping street-front retail on the north side of Wells between 16th & 17th and putting the parking in back, I'm not sure what else they could have done all that different.  And the Lanche, they should have kept the Lanche of course.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 03:48:44 PM »
Just curious, but what was poor about the Campus Town execution?  Other than keeping street-front retail on the north side of Wells between 16th & 17th and putting the parking in back, I'm not sure what else they could have done all that different.  And the Lanche, they should have kept the Lanche of course.

More in how they financed it.  From what I understand, they used their endowment to help finance the purchase, thinking that student rents would provide an adequate return.  It didn't...at least in the short-run.    It was a big financial drain on the institution. 

Macallan 18

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 04:10:30 PM »

More in how they financed it.  From what I understand, they used their endowment to help finance the purchase, thinking that student rents would provide an adequate return.  It didn't...at least in the short-run.    It was a big financial drain on the institution. 

I have also heard he used the endowment to purchase homes in the Marquette area, often paying much more than they were worth. It is one of the reasons the BOT decided to send him packing. He once said he could see no better use of the endowment than to purchase these properties. I am sure the BOT loved hearing that!

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 04:57:08 PM »
You guys talking about Campus Town, the university owned apartments, or Campus Circle, the purchasing of surrounding homes?
http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/stories/1997/07/14/focus1.html?page=all

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2015, 05:21:23 PM »
Buck Raynor??

BIG OOOOPS. 

Fr. DiUlio was the Assistant Dean in the COB at the time I  speak of.  Loved Fr. Raynor.   

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 07:14:30 PM »
DiUlio, a complete and total disaster. But hey, at least he built a parking structure. ::)

feedback