Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: :30 shot clock likely to be passed at meetings in a few weeks  (Read 11676 times)

D'Lo Brown

• All American
Re: :30 shot clock likely to be passed at meetings in a few weeks
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2015, 10:02:08 PM »
The previous version wasn't basketball?

I keep reading this "standing around" quote used and I don't recall seeing teams standing around. 

It's just a general catch-all for walking the ball up the court slowly, then everyone more or less "standing around". Maybe pass the ball a few times but nothing really happens. Otherwise known as a lack of urgency.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2015, 10:05:43 PM »
It's just a general catch-all for walking the ball up the court slowly, then everyone more or less "standing around". Maybe pass the ball a few times but nothing really happens. Otherwise known as a lack of urgency.

I call it analyzing the defense, getting into position to run your plays, spread the floor, etc.  Strategy.

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2015, 08:29:19 AM »
:30 seconds is perfect for college ball. Love it.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2015, 08:32:18 AM »
In college basketball, like other sports, the ideal is that the "best" team wins, right? Not the best strategy.

Disagree with this vehemently.  If this is what you want, why even play the games?  Lesser talented teams must be given a chance to implement some sort of strategy to overcome superior talent.  The less upsets there are, the less interesting any sport is.  Not saying that taking 5 seconds off the clock will have a major effect on upsets, but increased possessions lead to better chance for superior talent.  Two of the greatest games in the last 30 years, (Nova over Georgetown and NC State over Houston) almost definitely don't happen with a 30 second shot clock.

So, (like the NCAA tourney compared to a best of 7 NBA playoff), the shorter shot clock should result in an increase in possessions, which is an increased sample size in each game, therefore eliminating more statistical anomalies. In this situation, you're giving the "best" team a better chance at winning vs. some fluke or one-off.

That's a bad thing?

If you want to entertain your audience it is.  The less the chance of an upset in any sport, the less interesting any individual contest is.

Also, if these kids' goal is to play in the NBA (I realize this isn't every college player's goal), isn't this basically the minor league for the NBA and so they should be playing/preparing for their careers?

3rd. This will only help NBA GMs more into not screwing themselves into picking kids they can't evaluate properly. I'm guessing the NBA likes this idea. Much like the NFL would like if they could get rid of the spread in college football.
99% of D-1 college players don't play in the NBA.  NCAA basketball doesn't exist to be an NBA minor league.  The fact that it serves that function is nice for the NBA, but should never be a concern for college basketball.  The ability of NBA GMs to discern which player they want to draft should not be in the top 1000 things colleges should be worried about.

Why would you want college basketball to just become a vastly inferior version of the NBA?  How is that going to help its popularity?  If that were the case, why would I watch it?  I should just watch the NBA.  It needs to be its own game.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2015, 09:19:45 AM »
I call it analyzing the defense, getting into position to run your plays, spread the floor, etc.  Strategy.

And that can all be done effectively with a 30 second clock. 

The change is not going to lead to such a dramatic impact in possessions to have a huge impact, IMO. 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2015, 09:42:55 AM »

The change is not going to lead to such a dramatic impact in possessions to have a huge impact, IMO. 

Agree.  Football can make substitutions, huddle up, call a play, get 11 guys into a formation at the line (spread out over 50 yards and including obese linemen), analyze the defense and possibly change the play, all in 40 seconds.  I think basketball teams can get five guys from one end of the court to the other and execute a play that results in a shot attempt within 30 seconds.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2015, 10:08:26 AM »

Analyze the defense? I can usually tell you what defense a team is in before the offense crosses half court. Getting into position? Don't these guys learn that in practice? Spreading the floor? Rudimentary. You're turning the addition of 1+1 into calculus. The only "strategy" involved is how long do we hold the ball before we run our offense.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2015, 10:24:20 AM »
I don't think taking 5 seconds off the clock will make that much difference. It will be interesting to see if it really does help the offense or will we see an increase in shot clock violations. No way should they go back to no shot clock. The 4 corners offense was horrible to watch and actually back fired on Dean Smith when we beat them in the '77 title game.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2015, 10:47:06 AM »
Ive watched more Bulls games this past week then I have in a while and the lack of ball movement is astounding.

Watch a Spurs game. Quite often, all 5 players touch the ball on many, many possessions and the end result is a very high-percentage shot.

The Warriors, Clippers and other teams also get quite good ball movement and player movement within 24-second spans.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2015, 02:46:31 PM »

Maybe.  We will find out. 

It ultimately takes some strategy out of the game which is unfortunate in my opinion.  To what degree who knows.  On the flip side, at the end of games you may see slightly fouling because of the shot clock change.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2015, 03:25:42 PM »

It ultimately takes some strategy out of the game

This is opinion not fact.  I see no strategy this removes from the game at all.  35 to 24 you'd have an argument....maybe
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2015, 03:31:58 PM »
This is opinion not fact.  I see no strategy this removes from the game at all.  35 to 24 you'd have an argument....maybe

Even 24 wouldn't preclude strategy.  The NBA certainly has strategy.  Oftentimes a lot more than the college game does.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2015, 10:25:52 PM »
Maybe.  We will find out. 

It ultimately takes some strategy out of the game which is unfortunate in my opinion.  To what degree who knows.  On the flip side, at the end of games you may see slightly fouling because of the shot clock change.

Forcing coaches to use a different strategy is not removing strategy.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Desert_warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2015, 10:28:50 PM »
Didn't the NIT do this? Don't recall hearing anything about it though.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2015, 10:35:28 PM »
Didn't the NIT do this? Don't recall hearing anything about it though.

Yes, the CBI and CIT as well.  Here's a great write-up by Pomeroy on what he observed:

http://regressing.deadspin.com/how-has-the-ncaas-new-30-sec-shot-clock-worked-this-pos-1695275647

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2015, 07:06:25 AM »
Yes, the CBI and CIT as well.  Here's a great write-up by Pomeroy on what he observed:

http://regressing.deadspin.com/how-has-the-ncaas-new-30-sec-shot-clock-worked-this-pos-1695275647

Two more possessions per game?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2015, 09:02:59 PM »
Forcing coaches to use a different strategy is not removing strategy.

It's removing a strategic option. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #92 on: May 01, 2015, 09:05:05 PM »

Very small sample size, but interesting nonetheless.  Interesting to see how it plays out in the next few years.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2015, 09:37:21 AM »
You guys might find this interesting.

The last year with the 45 second shot clock in the NCAA, teams averaged 73.6 points per game.

Now with the 35 second shot clock, teams average 69 points per game.   So we dropped the clock by 10 seconds, and teams score less by almost 5 points per game.

Other rules are in place now as well, including the 3 point line being further back, but I found the stats interesting.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2015, 09:42:40 AM »
You guys might find this interesting.

The last year with the 45 second shot clock in the NCAA, teams averaged 73.6 points per game.

Now with the 35 second shot clock, teams average 69 points per game.   So we dropped the clock by 10 seconds, and teams score less by almost 5 points per game.

Other rules are in place now as well, including the 3 point line being further back, but I found the stats interesting.

More free throws with the Four Corners stall?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #95 on: May 03, 2015, 11:26:29 AM »
A ripple of fear in Madison...

As efficient as Bo's teams are, I'm not sure this will hurt them that much.