collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Pete Rose back in baseball, sort of!  (Read 5115 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: Pete Rose back in baseball, sort of!
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2015, 07:28:00 AM »
How was that? I'm likely headed to Cleveland for a conference this summer. Is that worth my time?

I've been there twice.  The first time, like you, I was in town for work and I ran through in like 30-40 minutes because I had a plane to catch.  The next visit I was with the family and we took our time.  They have a lot of interactive stuff and unique items like pieces of plane from the Otis Redding plane crash and an East German Trabant car from the U2 Zooropa Tour.  My kids enjoyed the stage costumes display and the special exhibit of Women in Rock that included Lady Gaga's Meat Dress and some Tina Turner items (which somehow they became fans of?).  Plus it's an interesting building itself sitting on Lake Eire next to a pier, the Great Lakes Science Center and the Browns Stadium and a WW2 submarine with views of the Cleveland skyline. 

As a music fan, I thought it was worth the visit.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2015, 10:34:10 AM »
I've been there twice.  The first time, like you, I was in town for work and I ran through in like 30-40 minutes because I had a plane to catch.  The next visit I was with the family and we took our time.  They have a lot of interactive stuff and unique items like pieces of plane from the Otis Redding plane crash and an East German Trabant car from the U2 Zooropa Tour.  My kids enjoyed the stage costumes display and the special exhibit of Women in Rock that included Lady Gaga's Meat Dress and some Tina Turner items (which somehow they became fans of?).  Plus it's an interesting building itself sitting on Lake Eire next to a pier, the Great Lakes Science Center and the Browns Stadium and a WW2 submarine with views of the Cleveland skyline. 

As a music fan, I thought it was worth the visit.

Much appreciated.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2015, 01:28:20 PM »
Let him in. Never bet against his own team. If you bet on your own team so what? Who does it hurt?

Your stud reliever has worked three straight games and really needs a day off. But you've got 50K on today's game and you're leading 5-3. Unlike most games that you simply want to win, you NEED to win this one because you've got 50K on it and you're already in debt 100K to your bookie. So you pitch your exhausted reliever, whose mechanics are messed up and he blows out his elbow and he's done for the year and his career might never be the same.

Substitute the stud starter for the above scenario. He has worked 8 tough innings and he's tired but your bullpen blows. It's just some June game so, if you didn't have money on it you would just go to the bullpen and take your chances. But you have 50K on it so you HAVE to win. So you roll the dice that your starter can give you one more inning.

Substitute an extra-innings scenario where a reliever has worked 6 innings and you have no pitchers left. If you didn't have 50K on the game, you might do what countless managers before you have done and throw a shortstop or outfielder on the mound. But you've got 50K on it so you make the pitcher work another inning.

Those are just three examples. I could give others. Betting on your team not an acceptable excuse.

Back in my writing days, my "solution" to the Rose situation was this:

He never was accused of better as a player, and so he should be eligible to go into the Hall as a player; let the BBWAA use its discretion to vote on him, just as its members have the discretion to vote on juicers. Meanwhile, because he was a steward of the game as a manager and he knowingly and brazenly broke the rules, he should be forever barred from having anything to do with baseball: he can't serve as a manager, GM, consultant, broadcaster, ambassador, etc.

What in fact has happened is that baseball has gone the other way: They've let him back into the game in some minor ambassador-type roles and apparently now as an announcer. Which means they've let a guy who broke Rule No. 1 as a steward of the game become a representative of the sport he disrespected. But they won't let him be considered to have a plaque in a museum.

Having said all that, if Rose is never let in the Hall, it wouldn't bother me one iota. He didn't make a "mistake," he knowingly violated baseball's oldest and most stringent rule and then lied about it for more than a decade.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson