Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka Smart to Texas!  (Read 51571 times)

Nukem2

• All American
Re: Shaka Smart to Texas!
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2015, 02:52:25 PM »
Shaka's vaunted Havoc defense was actually the brainchild of and implemented by his then assistant Wil Wade who is now a HC at Chattanooga......

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #101 on: April 03, 2015, 03:16:10 PM »
Wojo was at Duke for 17 years (player and coach) and his mentor has been at the same job for 35 years.

Do you put any stock in the idea that he is one that would like to keep the movements to a minimum which is why he waited so long before he jumped to his first HC position.

In other words, he is not here to get to the second week of the tourney ASAP so he can leave.  If he leaves it is going to take a lot, like a clear upgrade (read not a Tenn, VT or maybe even an IU.  Something that he thinks is "better")

You buying any of this?

I don't buy it....not because of Wojo, but because of the profession.  Maybe he is the exception to the rule and if so I'd be absolutely giddy because it means Wojo can and is building Marquette into a blue blood.  I just don't think that likely.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2015, 03:24:28 PM »
Wojo was at Duke for 17 years (player and coach) and his mentor has been at the same job for 35 years.

Do you put any stock in the idea that he is one that would like to keep the movements to a minimum which is why he waited so long before he jumped to his first HC position.

In other words, he is not here to get to the second week of the tourney ASAP so he can leave.  If he leaves it is going to take a lot, like a clear upgrade (read not a Tenn, VT or maybe even an IU.  Something that he thinks is "better")

You buying any of this?

Tommy Amaker was an assistant at Duke for 11 years - and left Seton Hall for Michigan after four years and one NCAA tournament appearance. 

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 03, 2015, 05:43:21 PM »
Duke is about a third larger than MU student-wise I think. And they have been a powerhouse for decades. The powerhouses generally have coaches who have been there a while.  No reason to think that Wojo can't build Marquette into a regular top 25 team and better.

Will he?  We will see.  But I think it's possible he stays for a long time.  Why not if he can build MU into consistent success?  Possible.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #104 on: April 03, 2015, 05:47:46 PM »
Duke is about a third larger than MU student-wise I think. And they have been a powerhouse for decades. The powerhouses generally have coaches who have been there a while.  No reason to think that Wojo can't build Marquette into a regular top 25 team and better.

Will he?  We will see.  But I think it's possible he stays for a long time.  Why not if he can build MU into consistent success?  Possible.

Marquette has been a regular top 25 team for the better part of the last decade under Crean and Buzz.  Keeping the program at that level would be holding serve.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #105 on: April 03, 2015, 05:52:25 PM »
Marquette has been a regular top 25 team for the better part of the last decade under Crean and Buzz.  Keeping the program at that level would be holding serve.

Yes. Ok. I think he can do better. Good start in recruiting. Second class will tell a lot.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2015, 07:12:15 PM »

In other words, he is not here to get to the second week of the tourney ASAP so he can leave.  If he leaves it is going to take a lot, like a clear upgrade (read not a Tenn, VT or maybe even an IU.  Something that he thinks is "better")

You buying any of this?

Nope. He is only 37. Absolutely no way to know what he will do, but my guess is he will not stay. In fact, how many guys really stay? If he gets it going at MU, well past history tells you all you need to know.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2015, 07:33:33 PM »
I'm not sure about that. Duke is obvious, but I could also see a Kansas, Michigan State, or Arizona type program that has a strong tradition and deep pockets being of interest. I hope not, but until Wojo has that decision to make, we won't really know.

Agree with those schools ... and I also don't see why Wojo wouldn't go to an ACC school other than Duke if a great opportunity presented itself -- especially if K retired and somebody else took the Duke job.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2015, 08:06:19 PM »
Agree with those schools ... and I also don't see why Wojo wouldn't go to an ACC school other than Duke if a great opportunity presented itself -- especially if K retired and somebody else took the Duke job.

The reality is very few have ever seen Marquette as a destination job. Al didn't -- he wanted to leave to coach the Bucks. Rick Majerus may have, but we shipped him before he had the chance. Maybe Wardle does, seems the most likely name now.

Circumstance could make this a destination for Wojo. Lovell and Scholl will be here for awhile, so he could have a long term comfortable relationship with his bosses. If Duke goes elsewhere, both Arizona and Kansas may not be hiring soon, who knows, maybe comfort and opportunity keep him here. But I doubt he grew up dreaming of Milwaukee.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 03, 2015, 08:11:44 PM »
The reality is very few have ever seen Marquette as a destination job. Al didn't -- he wanted to leave to coach the Bucks. Rick Majerus may have, but we shipped him before he had the chance. Maybe Wardle does, seems the most likely name now.

Circumstance could make this a destination for Wojo. Lovell and Scholl will be here for awhile, so he could have a long term comfortable relationship with his bosses. If Duke goes elsewhere, both Arizona and Kansas may not be hiring soon, who knows, maybe comfort and opportunity keep him here. But I doubt he grew up dreaming of Milwaukee.

I agree with all of this, too.

I just disagree with those who believe Wojo would never take a non-Duke ACC job.

It would be like saying Pitino, who coached at Kentucky, would never take the Louisville job. Of course he would ... and he did. You go where the best opportunities are.

Hopefully, for Wojo, he builds Marquette into a super-power and he believes the best opportunity always is at our alma mater. But I'm realistic enough to know how college sports work.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2015, 08:25:20 PM »
I don't think he would take UNC. Of course, they'd never offer to a Dookie. Maybe the other Tobacco Road jobs, but still less likely. The rest of the ACC, if K was retired and that job appeared not to be an option (say Stevens was there and won a quick title), I don't see why not.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2015, 08:31:19 PM »
He also reportedly received offers from Southern California, North Carolina State, Maryland, Marquette, Illinois and Wake Forest over the years.

Smart, 37, said this job was different.

''To me, it was a no brainer,'' said Smart, wearing a burnt orange tie to his first news conference at Texas. ''I don't want to take away from any other program, but there is only one University of Texas. There is unbelievable potential here.''
 But the Longhorns have the wealthiest athletic department in the country and easy access to some of the nation's biggest recruiting grounds in Dallas and Houston.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2015, 08:39:55 PM »
Destination job is what you make it.

Boeheim decided Syracuse was a destination job for him, he stayed.
Colhoun at Uconn
K at Duke
Few at Gonzaga
Bo at Bucky
Izzo at MSU
JT3 at G-town
Wright at Nova
Dixon at Pitt
Self at Kansas
Pitino at Louisville
Donovan at Fla

Some of these programs were not destination jobs before these names arrived.

All of the above passed on better opportunities (NBA) and potentially more money.

If Wojo can (1)recruit, (2) do well and (3) his family likes Milwaukee, no reason to leave.  But first, these three things have to happen and show they can continue to happen.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #113 on: April 03, 2015, 10:04:25 PM »
Don't worry. We will all love everything about Wojo and proclaim him as the greatest coach ever until he leaves. Then we will call him scumbag, total fake, etc. and hate him forever.

I've seen this movie before.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #114 on: April 03, 2015, 10:17:32 PM »
Don't worry. We will all love everything about Wojo and proclaim him as the greatest coach ever until he leaves. Then we will call him scumbag, total fake, etc. and hate him forever.

You mean like the what's happening at VCU tonight?

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #115 on: April 03, 2015, 11:18:39 PM »

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #116 on: April 04, 2015, 12:12:04 AM »
That photo is the middle finger to VCU fans that Buzz's VT lapel pin was to us a year ago.

Interesting story by John Feinstein. He was among the first to hint at Buzz to VPI last March.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/04/03/after-a-fairy-tale-run-for-vcu-the-shaka-clock-strikes-midnight/

If it's accurate, a lot of the public knew Shaka was leaving for Texas 15 minutes before his AD did.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 12:14:24 AM by Oldgym »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #117 on: April 04, 2015, 06:58:08 AM »
Tamu has the #3 class coming in next year.  They recruited extremely well in Texas with this class.

It looks like Shaka will have tough competition for Texas recruits.  He will likely get some good recruits simply because of the size of the talent pool in state.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #118 on: April 04, 2015, 07:15:35 AM »
He also reportedly received offers from Southern California, North Carolina State, Maryland, Marquette, Illinois and Wake Forest over the years.

Smart, 37, said this job was different.

''To me, it was a no brainer,'' said Smart, wearing a burnt orange tie to his first news conference at Texas. ''I don't want to take away from any other program, but there is only one University of Texas. There is unbelievable potential here.''
 But the Longhorns have the wealthiest athletic department in the country and easy access to some of the nation's biggest recruiting grounds in Dallas and Houston.
Barf!!! Sounds like somebody gushing over No Dick. BTW, the main reason Nebraska bolted for the Big 10-13 was because of the arrogance of Texas. Sounds like Mr. Smart will help to continue that arrogance. Hope good things happen for him down there--like getting beat for conference titles annually by Kansas and the Mayor.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #119 on: April 04, 2015, 08:58:19 AM »
Tamu has the #3 class coming in next year.  They recruited extremely well in Texas with this class.

It looks like Shaka will have tough competition for Texas recruits.  He will likely get some good recruits simply because of the size of the talent pool in state.

It surprises me that thus far, Shaka is mostly reaching out to recruits he wanted at VCU. Not that he didn't recruit well there, but TAMU has the #3 class because they did a great job recruiting in-state. All four of their 2015 recruits are from Texas. Three top-40 kids, and one more in the top-100. The Longhorns have 2 recruits, one of which is from Texas.

His easiest path to recruiting is to secure in-state recruits. The state has 3 top-20 kids for 2016. Were I Shaka, I'd be focusing on getting those three committed ASAP.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #120 on: April 04, 2015, 09:05:17 AM »
It's amazing what a few good years of football can do for a basketball program. TAMU is slowly becoming the cool university to cheer for. Haven't been able to say that ever before. This baketball recruiting class probably doesn't happen without Johnny Football.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #121 on: April 04, 2015, 09:59:03 AM »
It's amazing what a few good years of football can do for a basketball program. TAMU is slowly becoming the cool university to cheer for. Haven't been able to say that ever before. This baketball recruiting class probably doesn't happen without Johnny Football.

You didn't like them when they were kicking ass under Gillispie?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #122 on: April 04, 2015, 10:10:17 AM »

This is probably about right. That's one reason I feel coaches should be careful making those "stay as long as they'll have me" or "I'd rather be at a non football school" type comments. Easier to understanding a guy leaving when they didn't give the impression they'd stay forever.

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #123 on: April 04, 2015, 10:25:25 AM »
You didn't like them when they were kicking ass under Gillispie?

TAMU is tough to like because it is a university that closes minds, as opposed to opening them.  They belong in the SEC with Miss, AL, Auburn, etc...  UT is public Ivy in the only cool town in Texas.  I hope Shaka does well.  It would be nice to see the Kansas applecart get overturned a bit by beevo.  Rick Barnes was never going to be that guy.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #124 on: April 04, 2015, 10:48:04 AM »
TAMU is tough to like because it is a university that closes minds, as opposed to opening them.  They belong in the SEC with Miss, AL, Auburn, etc...  UT is public Ivy in the only cool town in Texas.  I hope Shaka does well.  It would be nice to see the Kansas applecart get overturned a bit by beevo.  Rick Barnes was never going to be that guy.

Idiotic statement on several levels and that's giving it credit. Spew your politics on the politics board

feedback