[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Goodbye, David Letterman  (Read 2753 times)

tower912

• All American
Goodbye, David Letterman
« on: May 17, 2015, 06:02:31 PM »
Thanks, Dave.   I was a huge fan of yours in college.   The velcro, the alka-selzer, the snark.   You were must see TV when I was a young man.    And you aged well.   You have continued to be the voice in the background whenever I find myself doing reports during your time slot.   You haven't lost a step.  Yes, you made mistakes in your personal life.   Yes, you never had the ratings that Jay had.    Yes, there are people who don't like you.   (There always is.)   Well, from a fan who has been watching you since the autumn of 1984, thank you and good luck. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Goodbye, David Letterman
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 06:31:48 PM »
He lost plenty of steps.  Should have got out years ago. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 07:40:10 PM »

Agreed.  Used to love Dave; at some point he turned into an angry old man.
Have some patience, FFS.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 07:41:15 PM »
Watched him in the 80's. Shocking he's been around all these years. Someone must have been watching.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 07:45:39 PM »
He wa good on Johnny Carson.

brandx

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 07:49:42 PM »
Thanks, Dave.   I was a huge fan of yours in college.   The velcro, the alka-selzer, the snark.   You were must see TV when I was a young man.    And you aged well.   You have continued to be the voice in the background whenever I find myself doing reports during your time slot.   You haven't lost a step.  Yes, you made mistakes in your personal life.   Yes, you never had the ratings that Jay had.    Yes, there are people who don't like you.   (There always is.)   Well, from a fan who has been watching you since the autumn of 1984, thank you and good luck. 

I agree completely, Tower.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 10:30:43 PM »
I pretty much "lost touch" with Dave when I started watching Jon Stewart (and then Stewart/Colbert).

I actually have been watching Letterman again the last week or so just to see what he's doing leading up to his finale. He's definitely no longer "hip," but there is something comforting in his corny (for lack of better word) brand of humor.

He was a real original and, like others, I really loved watching him in the 1980s.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 10:45:00 PM »
Letterman: Droll, irreverent cynic with an absurd yet hilarious off-beat take on post-industrial American society

Leno: Pandering, fawning, obsequious Uriah Heep who throws batting practice

Death on call

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 10:48:48 PM »
Eddie Vedder performs for Dave on Monday night

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 07:46:44 AM »
I pretty much "lost touch" with Dave when I started watching Jon Stewart (and then Stewart/Colbert).

I actually have been watching Letterman again the last week or so just to see what he's doing leading up to his finale. He's definitely no longer "hip," but there is something comforting in his corny (for lack of better word) brand of humor.

He was a real original and, like others, I really loved watching him in the 1980s.

Yeah that's pretty much where I am with him as well.

Eh, like sports stars, they should get out when they want.  Their job isn't simply to leave fans satisfied with their exit.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 07:54:17 AM »
I've been watching the last episodes and they've been okay.

I used to beg to stay up late enough to at least see the Top 10 List every night from 3rd grade on, and used to love Letterman. Conan, Colbert and college really started to pull me away from him.

Looking forward to the last couple airings this week, but Conan's NBC exit week is really tough to beat.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 08:22:57 AM »
I've been a long time fan.  I've had the pleasure to see him live three (3) times including his second to last show on NBC.  I wanted to work one more in before retirement but couldn't work in the schedule.

One of the reasons he's retiring is that he said he's "finally happy".  He says without his "anger" he doesn't have that edginess to do the show anymore.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 08:56:47 AM »

You probably thought Leno was funny. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 10:05:02 AM »
Turned anti Dave over past few years but have enjoyed looking back on his career on YouTube the last couple of weeks. He was a very talented guy and kept me entertained for many years. No doubt that he changed comedy and late night TV and hate to admit it but going to miss him.

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 03:16:20 PM »
Leno was very funny before he became a talk show host. Every bit of edge he had evaporated.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 03:46:47 PM »
I have to give grudging respect to Letterman. He's been very self-deprecating in these interviews, in a way that comes across as sincere. As talented as he may or may not be, he realizes that he was 'just' a show host, and a guy with many, many flaws (like most of us).

We'll see how the new guys do. I enjoy some of the viral clips, but they are absolutely never translating into me turning on the show and getting advertising views. They want to appeal to younger people, but younger(-ish) people like me don't watch TV.

feedback