Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 03:25:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Way too early 2015-16 Big East predictions  (Read 14149 times)

BCHoopster

• All American
Re: Way too early 2015-16 Big East predictions
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2015, 11:10:01 AM »
The fact that he's a white kid from Rice Lake is a total irrelavancy.  He's got the NBA's attention already.  He was very solid for USA Basketball last summer.  He had his pick of any program in the nation.

I do believe playing at a small school up north does make a difference.  He is not in Milwaukee day in and day out to play against better competition or Chicago playing against the best in that
town.  All of a sudden he will be playing against kids that are just as tall and talented.  I remember a certain players that came to MU as freshman who were ranked in the Top 5, Bernard Toone and Butch Lee, Butch averaged like 8 points as a freshman and Bernard less than that.  Will see.  I do understand that MU talent is not the same right now as then and Al played up to seniors.  

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2015, 11:19:04 AM »
I do believe playing at a small school up north does make a difference.  He is not in Milwaukee day in and day out to play against better competition or Chicago playing against the best in that
town.  All of a sudden he will be playing against kids that are just as tall and talented.  I remember a certain players that came to MU as freshman who were ranked in the Top 5, Bernard Toone and Butch Lee, Butch averaged like 8 points as a freshman and Bernard less than that.  Will see.  I do understand that MU talent is not the same right now as then and Al played up to seniors.  

AAU and international competition now days negates much of that.  It might have effected his coaching when he was younger but with his Dad being a former D1 player I feel he got fairly good influence. 

Boxer, good find I forgot about Kevin Love, so hoping Henry is as good as him, but being selfish, like to see him play 2 years at MU.  I believe Wojo is one recruiting class short of being really
good.

If he can be even half as good as Love's 17.5 and 10 I'd be ecstatic. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2015, 11:33:03 AM »
AAU and international competition now days negates much of that.  It might have effected his coaching when he was younger but with his Dad being a former D1 player I feel he got fairly good influence. 

If he can be even half as good as Love's 17.5 and 10 I'd be ecstatic. 

Pretty impressive year from Love as a freshman, I was thinking 12 and 6 would be a good year from Henry.  Not sure how Henry is going to defend, like most top seniors in high school, they really do not play much D.  Al won in 1977 because Bernard could not play D, so they played zone and won the championship with a huge front line averaging 6'10".  At least we have something to talk about for next year.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2015, 01:40:13 PM »
Henry's played against top competion over the years with MN PNR / D1 Minnesota, WI PGE, USA BBall, etc, not to mention playing varsity against older kids starting years ago.

Anyway, BEast..,  I think some are too high on Creighton... and not high enough on Georgetown
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2015, 02:23:45 PM »
A new player to watch on Butler is transfer Tyler Lewis.

Shark

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2015, 02:36:07 PM »
Some posters on here are so down about this year that they're completely underselling how much better we will be next year. That is also ignoring how much worse most of our conference is getting. Georgetown losing DSR is huge.

There's no reason to think MU can't make the dance next year. The combo of Henry and Luke will already be the best frontcourt Marquette has had in a decade.
Duane is going to benefit a lot from his time last year. I hope JJJ stays and continues to improve. My only worry is how the PG play is if Duane indeed does play the 2.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2015, 03:18:59 PM »
Totally agree with the shark. Our frontcourt will be formidable and I expect to finish top 5 in conference, though hoping for more obviously. Traci carter will lead us!

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2015, 03:21:10 PM »
Some posters on here are so down about this year that they're completely underselling how much better we will be next year. That is also ignoring how much worse most of our conference is getting. Georgetown losing DSR is huge.

There's no reason to think MU can't make the dance next year. The combo of Henry and Luke will already be the best frontcourt Marquette has had in a decade.
Duane is going to benefit a lot from his time last year. I hope JJJ stays and continues to improve. My only worry is how the PG play is if Duane indeed does play the 2.

Yeah I have been one of the few that's been very optimistic for next year in terms of being a tourney team again.

Another transfer or two added will only boost my confidence.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2015, 03:31:33 PM »

Better than Jimmy, Jae, Outle and Gardner?

Shark

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2015, 03:39:17 PM »
Better than Jimmy, Jae, Outle and Gardner?

1) Jimmy and Jae played in our frontcourt but were not really 4's or 5's. Both play the 2 in the NBA. We were always prone to being manhandled in the paint whenever a team had a semi decent 6'10 or bigger guy
2) When Jae and Jimmy were here Otule and Gardner were not extremely impactful.
3) The years we had Otule and Gardner as upperclassmen neither of them were better with the other on the court. It was normally one or the other.

We have (on paper) two bigs who perfectly compliment each other. Henry has the play-making and shooting abilities of a guard and Luke has the moves to score on pretty much any guy 1 on 1 (as he showed quite often this year). Couple Luke up with a guy like Henry who demands attention and you have a mismatch. If they double Luke like they did this year he will have more talent to dish the ball to. If they don't double him I expect Luke to add some more post moves this offseason and thrive.

feedback